PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 adventures/scenarios for GM + 1 player?

Narse
2012-08-21, 09:56 PM
My wife has expressed some interest in getting into D&D recently, and my group will have a spot open soon when we start a new campaign. I'd like to introduce her to the game in a one-on-one setting where I DM a solo scenario or adventure that she plays, to see if she's actually going to be interested in committing to a campaign with my group.

While I could create one or adapt another campaign for solo use, I'd really prefer something that's pre-made, and ideally one that's specifically made to introduce new players to the game, especially since I'm relatively new to the game myself and have never DM'd before. Does anyone have any good suggestions?

Kol Korran
2012-08-22, 01:21 AM
I'm afraid that wizads and TSR mostly published adventures for mutiple player groups, as that was what most people played,and made more commercial sense. I may be wrong though. I suggest checking the Paizo site, perhaps they have a few things? they sometime do cool stuff like that.

The only 1 person module i'm aware of his The Fighter's Challenge (http://www.trollandtoad.com/p133174.html) from AD&D, and intended for the fighter, so I'm not so sure how it would work.

My suggestions would be to choose one of these adventures (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20030530b&page=1) and adjust them to the one character. in fact, i suggest you add a second character, a support character, that you play. Not just to make it less difficult, but because a lot of the game is interaction between people, and for that... you need people.

If you wish us to help you adjust adventures or even help prepare one yourself, let us know. I will be glad to.

00dlez
2012-08-22, 10:15 AM
I find that when more experienced players try to bring new players into the fold, they tend to over look some of the obvious ideas.

If she is new, she's never been in a brawl at the inn, never fought a band of goblins away from a caravan, and never retrived something for an old man from a village swamp.

Breaking her in on these types adventures, getting her comfortable with the rules and flow of play, and most importantly, comfortable with roleplaying and talking in character, are all fundamentals of the game which she can build off of in a broader game.

Novawurmson
2012-08-22, 10:49 AM
I'd recommend tailoring it to her character somewhat. I did a similar game with my wife. She wanted to play a Rogue, so I ran the opening to Curse of the Crimson Throne, which involves entering a bad guy's lair to find an object. With cleverness (and a lot of good Stealth rolls), she was able to sneak past the limited number of guards and get to the final boss unscathed.