PDA

View Full Version : 10th level cleric equipment

dantiesilva
2012-08-21, 11:11 PM
So I am playing a cleric and have to make a 10th level one with 49,000gp. What should I grab? Here is my build so far.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=436913

Besides the full plate armor and mithral shield though I have no idea what to grab. Can someone help me. I want him to focus on Ranged attacks, but also be good at killing undead and stopping negative energy. He is also the party face. If you need anything else answered just ask.

Books allowed
Core
Complete series

Than
2012-08-21, 11:14 PM
Shadow the armor so that it's black and then pick up a Rod of Ropes from Complete Scoundrel. You should put two and two together from there.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-08-21, 11:48 PM
The first thing you should get on any divine caster who can afford it is a standard Strand of Prayer Beads which has had the Bead of Smiting removed. Per DMG pricing it will only cost you 9,000 gp for that, and it includes a Bead of Healing and a Bead of Karma. You can activate the Bead of Karma before casting your buffs every day for longer durations, higher bonuses, and tougher dispels.

Per the Complete Divine Errata (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a):

Page 80: Divine Metamagic feat
The boldface text needs to be added to the Benefit
paragraph of the feat description:
When you take this feat, choose a metamagic feat that
you have. This feat applies only to that metamagic feat.
As a free action, you can take the energy from turning
or rebuking undead and use it to apply a metamagic feat
to divine spells that you know. . . .
That means you need to take Extend Spell and Persistent Spell to get Divine Metamagic: Persist.

What's your alignment? If you're good-aligned, then you should cast (Extended) (Greater) Luminous Armor (BoED) every day instead of wearing armor. You can even cast Magic Vestment on that. If you're not going to wear armor, you may as well use Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) and get three times as many base skill points. You can also trade its bonus Knowledge Domain for Knowledge Devotion, and be sure to get the Collector of Stories skill trick. As the party face, consider taking Nymph's Kiss (BoED) at 1st level, for even more skill points and a bonus on Cha-related checks, including turning checks.

If you want to be a destroyer of undead, take five levels of Radiant Servant of Pelor (or whatever sun deity you pick) (CD). You'll need the Sun domain, but it gives you the Glory domain for free. Also consider using Morninglord of Lathander (or whatever sun deity you pick) (PGtF), which is superb for filling out an anti-undead build. The standard build goes Cloistered Cleric 5/ Morninglord 1/ Radiant Servant 5/ Morninglord 9. You can get the PH2 ACF to spontaneously convert prepared spells into your Sun domain spells (Searing Light) instead of spontaneously casting cure spells.

For gearing a destroyer of undead, definitely get an Ephod of Authority, a Reliquary Holy Symbol, and a Rod of Defiance, all in MIC. A Scepter of the Netherworld (MIC/LM), Phylactery of Undead Turning (DMG), and multiple Night Sticks (LM) are also highly recommended.

For any character who can cast hour/level buffs, (Lesser) Metamagic Rods of Extend are just amazing.

Obligatory Shax's Indispensable Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101) and Necessary Items (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187851) links.

dantiesilva
2012-08-22, 09:18 AM
@Biffoniacus_Furiou

As the orginal post says i can only use core and the completes. So very few things you suggested I could actually use. Thank you though.

Mithril Leaf
2012-08-22, 10:00 AM
This is pretty much the best I can do. Scroll down to the equipment section. (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1238)

Keld Denar
2012-08-22, 10:06 AM
Pay attention to the last link in his post. Its the important one.

Lesser rod of Extend and maybe Chaining would be wise. Probably a +4 wisdom neck with +2 con added on. A cloak of resistance of at least +2, if not 3, would also be a smart buy, considering you don't have access to greater/superior resistance.

Psyren
2012-08-22, 10:15 AM
I can't read your sheet from here, so you may already have these, but by mid-levels you should start getting bonuses to your ability scores as well. Look into a Periapt of Wisdom and/or a Belt of Constitution. Since he's the face and undead killer, consider also a Nymph's Cloak, though the Cloak of Resistance might be more helpful.

Andezzar
2012-08-22, 11:01 AM
Is there any reason for the heavy mace? A morning star has the same stats except the damage type is bludgeoning and piercing.

A Full Plate gives +8 Armor bonus and your speed should be 20ft. Make it at least +1 and if you can get access to the MIC put Called on that armor.

Why a Mithral Shield?

Pearls of Power are never wrong. A ring of sustenance may be interesting.

Nitpick: the CC boxes should only be checked if the skill in question actually is Cross-Class.

Your weapon damage should be 1d8+2 not 1d8+11.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-08-22, 11:18 AM
@Biffoniacus_Furiou

As the orginal post says i can only use core and the completes. So very few things you suggested I could actually use. Thank you though.

I guess I missed that part. In that case:

Still get the standard Strand of Prayer Beads that's missing a Bead of Smiting (DMG).

You should still start with the Sun domain and use Radiant Servant, it gives you the Glory domain for free.

You still have to take both Extend Spell and Persistent Spell to get Divine Metamagic: Persistent.

Get a War Cross of St. Cuthbert (CC) if you're not using Radiant Servant.

Get a Phylactery of Undead Turning switched to a Vest/Vestment (DMG p288), a Circlet of Persuasion (applies to turning checks), and at least one Lesser Rod of Extend for Magic Vestment and other buffs.

dantiesilva
2012-08-22, 10:26 PM
To all of you who are wondering about my equipment I had my DM just choose it and that is what he gave me. So the heavy mace...I wanted a bow he gave me a mace. The speed is because of the flaw slow which cuts your speed in half and celestial armor is chainmail not fullplate. MiC he made very clear is out because he finds it to broken, probably because of the belt that boost all of your stats at once.

Mithral shield was to make it lighter and reduce ACP, but he changed it to a plain heavy shield. If you read sun devotion and the point I put it as a situational damage nulls that but I understand the confusion. And from what I understand he used all the money. I truthfully don't know why he didn't go with fullplate, with my dex so low and all. after all granting the suit a +5 bonus as well as adding spikes with a +5 bonus adds +10 to AC.

Andezzar
2012-08-23, 12:39 AM
Celestial armor is a +3 chainmail with some additional bonuses. So it still has an armor bonus of +8.

With the use of Sun devotion the damage of the mace would be 1d8+12=1d8+1(weapon enhancement)+1(STR)+10(Sun devotion)

It's doubtful whether defending works on armor/shield spikes or gauntlets. RAW only grants swords the AC bonus. It is also unclear what wielding means, especially concerning armor spikes and gauntlets.

I think you should talk to your GM and renegotiate the gear.

Downysole
2012-08-23, 07:20 AM
I've played an archer cleric before, and let me tell you, if you're considering full plate, you don't have the Dex for it. Don't get me wrong, a lot of the elven pantheon with War Domain would be a good choice, since that nets you out pretty well with a bow if you can buff yourself or get a raptor arrow.

If you have the chance to go with a bow, you should re-stat and let me know. I'll recommend other gear.

Andezzar
2012-08-23, 09:12 AM
Exchanging one of your feats for Zen Archery (CW 106) or taking it at level 12 would probably be easier for an archer.