PDA

View Full Version : Fiend of X

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-22, 01:47 AM
I'm looking to make a character that enters the fiend of corruption and fiend of possession PrC's and I'd like to jump through as few racial hoops as I can.

Does anyone know of an outsider with 1 or fewer racial HD and the evil subtype, other than the fiendish symbionts?

eggs
2012-08-22, 01:49 AM
Should we assume Savage Species's subtype ceremonies are out?

Igneel
2012-08-22, 02:14 AM
Closest I can think of off the top of my head (afb) is the kaotri from Fiend Folio (were updated to 3.5 in a Dragon magazine, forgot which). Technically it's a race/template much like Dragonborn if you read how they are made, and it gets you Outsider type/Evil subtype along with a reason to possess things (Material Plane hurts you after a certain point). I think the generic ones are 2HD/2LA though.

GreenSerpent
2012-08-22, 03:40 AM
I'm not sure, but I think Changeling with the Racial Emulation feat might do the job.

Igneel
2012-08-22, 03:54 AM
I'm not sure, but I think Changeling with the Racial Emulation feat might do the job.

Wizard's site

Racial Emulation [Racial]

You can emulate a humanoid more closely with your minor change shape ability.

Prerequisite: Changeling.

Benefit: When you use your minor change shape ability to assume the form of a humanoid creature, you can also emulate any of that humanoid's subtypes. Though you do not gain any of the humanoid's traits, you are considered to be a member of that race for all other purposes (allowing you to use magic items or spells keyed to race, for example).

You can also ignore the normal penalty on Disguise checks when disguising yourself as a different race (see the Disguise skill description, page 72 of the Player's Handbook).

You can only emulate one race at a time, and you always retain the shapechanger subtype.

I suppose that it would work, assuming you can find a Humanoid with an Evil subtype (none come to my mind anyways).

Dayaz
2012-08-22, 03:58 AM
...you could always just ask your DM if you could take a level of Evil Outsider >.> not a very attractive dip, but it's the simplest I feel.

Outsider isn't that bad of a racial level, either... but i guess it all depends on what you want your character to do >.>

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-08-22, 04:09 AM
A Bladeling (MM2, updated (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a)) Divine Minion (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a) of Sebek is an Outsider [Evil] with a +3 LA and one Outsider HD which should get replaced by your first class level. For that LA you get DR 5/Magic and Bludgeoning, immunity to fear and acid, Resist Fire and Cold 5, the Fast Wild Shape at will (which heals you!), Dex +2, +4 natural armor, and the Bladeling Razor Storm ability. Razor Storm isn't very significant, but on a Fiend of Possession you can fire it and go ethereal and your enemies may think you've exploded or something.

sonofzeal
2012-08-22, 06:23 AM
FRCS, I believe, has a splinter group of elves who have a racial feat that changes their type to Outsider. I found it once and though it was useful, but I'm not confident of my ability to find it again. If I do, I'll post; otherwise you can take a look yourself.

(edit) Got it on the first try. Otherwordly, PGtF. Prerequisite: Deep Imaskari (Underdark [Deep Imaskar]), elf (Evermeet, Sildeyuir), or spirit folk (Ashane).

(edit2) This doesn't get you the evil subtype, but there might be another way around that. Hellbred maybe?

Piggy Knowles
2012-08-22, 08:48 AM
Dretches (MM) and kaorti (FF) are both 2HD, +2 LA outsiders with the evil subtype.

The mulhorandi divine minion (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a) is a template that is either +1 or +2 LA, and gives you the qualities you need, assuming you select the proper deity:

The creature's type changes to outsider, and any alignment subtypes it has changes to match the corresponding alignment subtypes of its deity.

There's also the Savage Species ritual that has been mentioned, the Ritual of Alignment, which can give you an alignment subtype for some gold and XP.