PDA

View Full Version : DMM arcane?

killianh
2012-08-22, 01:59 AM
DMM only works on divine spells, and there is a domain that grants rebuke undead. With the ACF domain access from complete champion could you not dip cleric and end up with twice the turn attempts for DMM? Add in the feat Alternative Spell source to treat sorcerer spell as divine then DMM them?

Other than the required Wisdom does this work or not?

Piggy Knowles
2012-08-22, 09:03 AM
What domain grants rebuke undead? I know of plenty of domains that let you rebuke other things - elementals, snakes, oozes, spiders, but not undead.

Yajirobe
2012-08-22, 09:23 AM
I am far from my books atm, but I am pretty sure that there is a Domain (or optional rule) that grants Turn Undead on Dragonlance Campaign Setting. I know that because it is the only way for a Mystic to turn undead.

DLCS is core material (even though the other books aren't) so it should tend to your DMM needs.

Randomguy
2012-08-22, 11:27 AM
Yes, this would work.

Actually you could get a third turning pool if you wanted, if you were allowed all setting books. There's an ACF in one of the Eberron books somewhere that lets you swap Turn Undead for something that damages undead, but it functions as Turn Undead for certain purposes, such as DMM. This lets you get a third pool from a 1 level dip in Sacred Exorcist.

A_S
2012-08-22, 11:44 AM
I believe you're talking about the Destroy Undead ACF, which is in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft.

Randomguy
2012-08-22, 11:49 AM
I believe you're talking about the Destroy Undead ACF, which is in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft.

That's the one. I can never remember the name.

Big Fau
2012-08-22, 12:14 PM

Rebuke Dragons (Dragon Magic) and Channel Incarnum (MoI) also work with DMM. Also, a Cleric with Turn Undead can dip Dread Necromancer for Rebuke Undead. In fact, replacing Turn Udead for Destroy Undead/Rebuke Dragon/Channel Incarnum, dipping Dread Necromancer, and then taking a level of Sacred Exorcist, you can get 3 Turning pools with ease (Note: Dread Necromancer has no penalties for being Good-aligned, despite what most people think).

@OP: I do not recommend going that route for more turning, as it takes 5 levels of either Sorcerer or Wizard to get the ACF. Dread Necromancer is a better option as you lose only one CL to get the extra turning. Also, Clerics have more options for Persist than Sorcerers do (thanks to their preparation).

dextercorvia
2012-08-22, 12:16 PM
ACF domain access from complete champion could you not dip cleric and end up with twice the turn attempts for DMM? Add in the feat Alternative Spell source to treat sorcerer spell as divine then DMM them?

Taking that ACF on a Sorcerer makes kobolds cry, however. Please, think of the kobolds.

Edit: and if all you want it for is the ability, then you can take it as a feat.

killianh
2012-08-22, 09:24 PM
The moral of the story though is I can DMM as an arcane caster so long as I have turn attempts and the feat alternative spell source right? I've wanted to build a DMM gish for a while without just making a CoDzilla

Randomguy
2012-08-22, 11:04 PM
The moral of the story though is I can DMM as an arcane caster so long as I have turn attempts and the feat alternative spell source right? I've wanted to build a DMM gish for a while without just making a CoDzilla

Yup. It would be very, very cheesy though.

If you want to add even more cheese, you could take just a single level of wizard/wu-jen/archivist for the spellbook, and take the rest of your levels in a spontaneous casting class (probably Dread necro), and use Versatile Spellcaster to cast spells from your spellbook using your spontaneous slots.

killianh
2012-08-22, 11:46 PM
Yup. It would be very, very cheesy though.

If you want to add even more cheese, you could take just a single level of wizard/wu-jen/archivist for the spellbook, and take the rest of your levels in a spontaneous casting class (probably Dread necro), and use Versatile Spellcaster to cast spells from your spellbook using your spontaneous slots.

I think I might try to pull that, if for nothing else than to get some experience at book dodging