PDA

View Full Version : Learning 한국어

Amridell
2012-08-22, 12:00 PM
Well, I've been wanting to for a long time, and I finally started learning Korean, even making my computer make changes to accommodate. Has anyone else embarked on the amazing journey of learning a new language? Any tips for a weary traveler?

MonkeyBusiness
2012-08-22, 12:06 PM
Some ideas that helped me:

Find a native speaker who will converse with you in that language on a regular basis.

Immerse yourself in events where the language you are learning is spoken exclusively.

Watch films or television programs in that language.

Talk to yourself, out loud, in the language you are learning.

Amridell
2012-08-22, 12:12 PM
Hm...I don't know anyone who speaks Korean...an penpal sites to sign up for that you know of? Talking to myself would work. Thanks, I can use this!

MonkeyBusiness
2012-08-22, 12:25 PM
Hm...I don't know anyone who speaks Korean...an penpal sites to sign up for that you know of? Talking to myself would work. Thanks, I can use this!

Well, if you go to a university, there is probably a Korean Students Union. That's one possible starting place.

Goosefeather
2012-08-22, 12:51 PM
Some ideas that helped me:

Find a native speaker who will converse with you in that language on a regular basis.

Immerse yourself in events where the language you are learning is spoken exclusively.

Watch films or television programs in that language.

Talk to yourself, out loud, in the language you are learning.

All of the above, plus

- Music can be very helpful, especially when the lyrics are pronounced clearly. You can leave it on in the background while doing other things and pick up expressions and vocab almost unconsciously. Or you can sit down and learn the lyrics to a song you like, as a more active process.

- With films and TV shows, at first use subtitles in your native language. When you feel confident enough, use subtitles in the target language, before eventually weaning yourself off them altogether.

- On-line newspaper articles are great once your level is high enough. I try to read at least one a day for each of the various languages I speak.

- Sit down and learn vocabulary and grammar by rote memorisation. It's not very fun, but it's incredibly efficient.

- Short stories are great. Try to find authors known for using fairly simple language.

- There are a bunch of useful phone apps for language learning. Dictionaries, conjugation, games, pre-made flashcards - especially useful are apps that let you make your own flashcards. You can use them whenever you're stuck waiting for something and need to kill time, it's a great way to practice.

However, finding and befriending a patient native speaker is by far the most helpful thing you could ever do.

Hope that helps!

Amridell
2012-08-22, 02:39 PM
All of the above, plus

- Music can be very helpful, especially when the lyrics are pronounced clearly. You can leave it on in the background while doing other things and pick up expressions and vocab almost unconsciously. Or you can sit down and learn the lyrics to a song you like, as a more active process.

- With films and TV shows, at first use subtitles in your native language. When you feel confident enough, use subtitles in the target language, before eventually weaning yourself off them altogether.

- On-line newspaper articles are great once your level is high enough. I try to read at least one a day for each of the various languages I speak.

- Sit down and learn vocabulary and grammar by rote memorisation. It's not very fun, but it's incredibly efficient.

- Short stories are great. Try to find authors known for using fairly simple language.

- There are a bunch of useful phone apps for language learning. Dictionaries, conjugation, games, pre-made flashcards - especially useful are apps that let you make your own flashcards. You can use them whenever you're stuck waiting for something and need to kill time, it's a great way to practice.

However, finding and befriending a patient native speaker is by far the most helpful thing you could ever do.

Hope that helps!

ㅑㅅ 애ㄷㄴ!

Aaaaand, I forgot to switch my keyboard. It does help a lot!

Eldariel
2012-08-22, 02:53 PM
A language a year is my rule. I try to learn one new language each year; I focus exclusively on that one language (of course using others as I can while at it, but focus the learning effort on one) and try to take enough of it to at least reach conversational level. A year is about enough for all that and it's not too long a time to constrict you; leaves time to learn other languages still. Tho frankly, if I'm conversational in 20 languages by the time I'm 60 I'll be happy; not sure if I can stick to the schedule.

Korean is on my to-do list but a bit down the line, unfortunately. But yeah, at least for me it tends to be the most efficient to learn grammar and basic vocabulary the oldfashioned way with books and then just try and immerse myself in the language (books, movies, real, live people, suggestopaedic or conversation courses) and go from there.

Brother Oni
2012-08-23, 06:47 AM
All of the above, plus

Hang on, are you advocating the OP goes and listens to Girl's Generation? :smalltongue:

Goosefeather
2012-08-23, 11:21 AM
Well, if boats are floated, who am I to complain? :smalltongue:

inky13112
2012-08-23, 04:34 PM
Hang on, are you advocating the OP goes and listens to Girl's Generation? :smalltongue:

When wouldn't you advocate this? :smallamused: I know nothing about kpop

Brother Oni
2012-08-24, 01:36 AM
So when my wife clips me around the ear the next time I'm watching a Girl's Generation video, I can say "It's educational! I'm trying to learn Korean like this online instructor suggested!". :smallbiggrin: