PDA

View Full Version : Item Crafting Cohort

Sponson
2012-08-22, 12:06 PM
So my friend and I were rolling up new character for a campaign (because we died last session), and we planned on running a mercenary camp. That said, he's a level 9 Wizard, though he might dip into a Geometer for 100gp spells. I am a level 9 Cleric with Leadership, with access to a level 7 cohort.

The idea is that the Cohort watches over our base camp of operations while the Wizard and I are on "business". In this time the Cohort crafts weapons, scrolls, and wondrous items as well as keeps the place tidy. What would be a great class for him to be that would really help with item creation? I originally wanted him to be a warlock for the imbue item ability, but that's not until level 12, with which our play rate (at most once a week, if even) isn't going to happen. He's a Gatorman (custom race from Dawn of the Worlds creation), so nothing that requires a Dwarf or Gnome or whatever.

Eventually we would just make a bunch of stupid items like Circlet of Rapidcasting at half off.

TheGeckoKing
2012-08-22, 12:07 PM
Artificer (ECS) seems like the go-to class for churning out magic items.

Telonius
2012-08-22, 12:25 PM
Artificer is exactly what you want, for everything except scrolls. Since Artificer items are neither arcane nor divine (per the Eberron errata), and a scroll needs to be the correct type (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/scrolls.htm#activatetheSpell) (arcane or divine) if you're going to use it, nobody but an Artificer can use an Artificer scroll without making a UMD check.