PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Some Silver Lining

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-22, 01:12 PM
Howdy, Playground!

I'm looking for any and all abilities, items, spells, powers, etc. that give a character or his party some benefit, but that also cause the character to take hit point damage.

A few examples of the sort of thing I'm looking for:

• Shield Other/Glory of the Martyr: These spells allow one character to take half of the damage that others would normally take themselves. Thus, the party itself takes less damage, and the character in question takes more.
• Blood of the Martyr: This spell allows a character to take damage in order to heal his party members for an amount equal to the damage taken.
• Vicious weapon property: Causes the weapon to deal more damage to a struck creature, but also deals damage to the weapon wielder. (Thanks, Garagos!)

Can anyone think of any more effects like this?

Edit: Alternatively, does anyone know of effects that somehow benefit you when you take damage? Examples might include Dahlver Nar's Shield Other ability (Binder) and the Forced Share Pain psionic ability.

Garagos
2012-08-22, 01:18 PM
(Weapon Property Name that I can't remember right now): Causes the weapon to deal more damage to a struck creature, but also deals damage to the weapon wielder.

Property is called Vicious I believe.

Novawurmson
2012-08-22, 01:19 PM
Do you count the Hellfire Warlock causing Con damage to the user with Hellfire Blast?

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-22, 01:21 PM
Thanks, Garagos!

And no, Nova, I'm specifically looking for things that cause hit point damage; while con damage does translate to fewer hit points, it is not strictly damage and so does not fit. Thanks, though!

Novawurmson
2012-08-22, 01:25 PM
The perhaps Divine Sacrifice (http://dndtools.eu/spells/complete-divine--56/divine-sacrifice--698/) is what you're looking for!

Edit: Also, Overchannel. Disregard damage, acquire manifester levels.

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-22, 01:26 PM
The Blade of Blood spell allows you to take 5 hit points of damage to deal +2d6 damage.

eggs
2012-08-22, 03:02 PM
The Spell Matrices and pathfinder's Warrior's Surge Wilder.

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-22, 03:45 PM
All fantastic suggestions, thank you! Most useful indeed...

I've also just added an amendment to the OP: I'm also looking for any abilities that benefit you/the party whenever you take damage. If anyone knows of any more, I would love to hear them!

Psyren
2012-08-22, 04:08 PM
Psionics has some of these, e.g. Empathic Transfer and Share Pain.

Edit: Also, Overchannel. Disregard hit points, acquire manifester levels.

FTFY

VGLordR2
2012-08-22, 05:09 PM
All fantastic suggestions, thank you! Most useful indeed...

I've also just added an amendment to the OP: I'm also looking for any abilities that benefit you/the party whenever you take damage. If anyone knows of any more, I would love to hear them!

Masochism (http://dndtools.eu/spells/book-of-vile-darkness--37/masochism--164/), from Book of Vile Darkness.

eggs
2012-08-22, 09:46 PM
Stalwart Pact, Tabard of Valor, Rageclaws' Hand bind and that PHB2 Barbarian ACF all give some bonuses once your HP go below a certain threshold. The first two can be very useful.

Qwertystop
2012-08-22, 09:50 PM
There's an item set in the MIC that gives various boosts for casters in exchange for health and/or spell slots. Something of Blood Sacrifice, I think.