PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Kalishtar cleric and pantheon info.

Keld Denar
2012-08-22, 05:10 PM
So, for a friend's kinda goofy game, I built a level 10 Cleric3/ChurchInquisitor6/Sacred Exorcist1 who happens to be a Kalishtar. I gave him Hidden Talent for Dimension Hop at 1st level, so he has 12x/day 10 ft teleports, which is useful.

Now, problem is, I don't know anything about Kalishtar religion. I'm not too picky on domains, but I have to be Lawful Good. Eberron doesn't really do clerics of causes, IIRC, so I'd like to worship someone or something. He is very anti-Quor, if that helps. The Silver Flamers don't really feel right, though.

Can someone help a bit with my understanding of possible Kalishtar religious orientation?

Psyren
2012-08-22, 05:37 PM
Most Kalashtar worship the Path of Light (ECS 71/FoE 126 has the relevant info.)

EDIT: Kalashtar religion is discussed on ECS 17 and RoE 64.

Keld Denar
2012-08-22, 08:23 PM
Where do I find more information on the Quor spirits? It seems that every Kalashtar is decendant from one of the 66 remaining renegade Quor spirits that escaped Dal Quor and the Dreaming Dark. The only 2 that I ever see mentioned are Taratai (not a viable ancestor) and Harath. Are there others? What are their personalities like?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-22, 08:57 PM
I can't recall more info on those spirits; but if it exists it is most likely that it is printed in Secrets of Sarlona.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-08-23, 02:04 AM
I can't recall more info on those spirits; but if it exists it is most likely that it is printed in Secrets of Sarlona.

Its not there. I think it was deliberately left out of print so that gaming groups could flesh out their characters however they wanted.

Since the quor ancestor is supposed to be a strong influence on a kalashtar character's personality describing the quor spirits would force players to shoehorn their characters into one of the described personas.

Kol Korran
2012-08-23, 08:14 AM
I never checked the Path of Light info to a great extent, but you might wish to look into Faiths of Eberron? I do believe there was a small section to the Path of Light.

Note: the character doesn't really have to follow the "Kalashtar religion". I can easily see them worshiping the Host, or even the Blood of Vol )though the character you suggest is stronger than Vol herself).

For a cool twist, have the character worship one of the draconic gods, mentioned in Dragons of Eberron- the general 11 dragin deities,but perhaps with one of the varied draconic interpertations?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-23, 08:54 AM
Actually I think that getting power for causes is even more viable in Eberron, I mean nobody is sure who or what gives clerics their spells, they even waive the "alignment must be within one step from the deity" rule (I am sure I have seen a npc cleric of the Silver Flame who is CE in some Eberron Sourcebook).

Psyren
2012-08-23, 09:18 AM
Actually I think that getting power for causes is even more viable in Eberron, I mean nobody is sure who or what gives clerics their spells, they even waive the "alignment must be within one step from the deity" rule (I am sure I have seen a npc cleric of the Silver Flame who is CE in some Eberron Sourcebook).

"Clerics of causes" are indeed officially endorsed in Eberron. ECS 34:

Other clerics across Eberron serve no church and claim no allegiance to any deity. They recognize the power of the deities, but not their authority over mortal life. They hold principles of alignment or other abstract ideals higher than the deities who claim these ideals in their portfolios, and they draw divine power from the pervasive spiritual force in the world instead of channeling it through deities. These clerics are usually outcasts and loners, but the reality of their power is impossible to deny, and it lends credence to their unorthodox theology.

Keld Denar
2012-08-23, 09:31 AM
Cool. Thanks for the info, guys. FoE really had a lot of details.

So, I'm following the Path of Light, but my DM is allowing me to add Travel to my list of possible domains since my character is more of a Deckard Cain "I will help you" type character, travelling across Khorvaire helping people and exorcising Quor spirits where they are trying to manifest the goals of the Dreaming Dark after a not-uncommon pilgrimage to Flamekeep. I haven't decided between Protection and Law for my second domain, and I'll be picking up Inquisition from CI, and possibly one other from a Contemplative dip next level.

Anyone have any good ideas for names for my Quori ancestor? I'm thinking something in typical Quori alien nature, but possibly tying in with my character's wanderlust nature. Possibly blending the word for travel or journey from another non-English language. I'll probably try to derive at least part of my character's first name or last name from a variant of his Quori host.

Thoughts?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-23, 09:39 AM
Are you going to trade the Travel Domain for Travel Devotion? Because if not I would suggest getting the Law domain and trading it for the devotion, the attack/AC bonus is pretty nice and works well with what I assume is a gishy cleric. Besides most spells on the protection domain are already on the standard cleric list so I wouldn't take it.

What Language were you thinking of? I am fond of Latin when I have to adapt words for naming.

Keld Denar
2012-08-23, 10:21 AM
No, I was gonna take the Travel domain for its awesome spellist and granted power.

I'm not really that martial. Game already has 3 martial characters. I grabbed Divine Defiance and Divine Spell Power and a Divine version of Arcane Mastery. I can take 10 on dispel checks, which means I can automatically counterspell a caster 3 levels higher than me and automatically dispel any spell cast by someone 5 levels above me with Dispelling Cord. Don't really need Travel Devotion with swift action Dim Hop up to 12 times per day, 17 if I buy Earth Node with my starting wealth. I plan on doing a little group buffing, a little controlling, and a little status ailment control. Mostly support, as that its the archetype I like playing, and best fits my characters devotion to spreading light through benevolent actions. More like a God wizard than a cleric.

And yes, Latin works. Anyone know the Latin words for journey, travel, or pilgrimage?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-23, 11:38 AM
Fair enough, though in that case I would go for a more bfc friendly domain than either Law or Protection (though if your whole party is Lawful, Dictum might be fun).

And according to an online translator Latin for Journey is "Iter".

Keld Denar
2012-08-23, 12:01 PM
Like what? Law has Hold Monster, Order's Wrath, and Dictum, which are very control oriented. No domain has Evard's Black Tentacles...

How about something like Lteranera, Lteressa, Ahltera or something like that?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-23, 12:26 PM
Earth Domain has wall of stone, Spike stones, soften earth and stone.
Force Domain has Wall of force, forcecage, telikinetic sphere crushing hand.
Plant domain has entangle, plant growth, wall of thorns.
Shadow has shadow evocation/conjuration and the greater ones too.
Slime domain has Evard's Black tentacles (but as a level 5 spell).
Storm domain has sleet storm, control winds/weather.
Winter is almost fully loaded with BCF' including ice storm and filbumwinter.

Now I have to agree that most of this don't fit you theme, so it might be a moot.

Personally I like Ahlthera.

Cwymbran-San
2012-08-23, 12:38 PM
Kalashtar names are always built from two separate blocks, the first being the "human" name, the second being the name of the quori the kalashtar descended from.
Lanharath, from the book, is Lan (the human host) of the line of Harath. You could patch a rather usual human name (like "Ben") to a seriously alien quori name (my first idea Sysyrkan, which would combine to Bensysyrkan).
The kalashtar in my group is usually adressed by his human name until he thinks he can trust someone with his heritage.

Keld Denar
2012-08-24, 01:42 PM
Anyone else have any good ideas for Quori ancestor names?