PDA

View Full Version : 3.P. Need some feedback for a few ideas.

rollforeigninit
2012-08-22, 07:40 PM
I have a few different ideas I've been thinking of using in my games. I decided that I'd just post the 1 thread instead of mucking around with 1 question per thread. These ideas are supposed to work together anyways. What do you guys think of these rules and are any of them rules that would keep you away from the gaming table?

1. Weapon Groups- I've been kicking around an idea of going to weapon groups instead of (or maybe in addition to) the simple/martial/exotic weapon proficiencies. How well does this work? I don't want it to be super complicated and the groups in Ultimate Combat are HUGE. The groups in Unearthed Arcana, however, seem a little light even if you are just using 3.5 stuff. Of the 2, I think 3.5's are more reasonable but maybe it would just be easier to make judgement calls for anything not on the 3.5 lists. Has anyone tried applying weapon specific feats and class features to these groups? I can't see how it would be OP. Wizards exist, after all. (OH NOES!!! the Fighter gets an additional +1 crit mod and Auto-confirmed criticals with like..... 5 weapons. I guess I'd better Shapechange into something crit immune then...........) How would you change the weapon selection for the Martial Disciplines from ToB if you went to Weapon Groups?

2. I updated Swordsage to something that is more of a chassis and made some of the class features and Discipline Focus more like some of those available to some PF classes. Kinda like the Barbarian's rage powers, rogue's talents and Magus' Arcana. They get to pick any 7 disciplines to use. In the interest of not getting sued I'm not posting it. They do get Able Learner and scrap their old mechanic altogether.

3. Weapon Focus- In addition to applying to a Weapon Group, Weapon Focus now advances BaB for the applicable weapons when it comes to the number of attacks/round and qualifying for feats and the like. I know it will make some PrC's easier to get into but I honestly don't feel it's that big a deal seeing as most gishes and martial clerics only need into the PrC for the extra BaB progression anyways.

4. Able Learner got a mild rewrite. It's prerequisite is now the ability to initiate a maneuver.

5. Shadow Blade now applies to any weapon that can be used with weapon finesse AND you have Weapon Focus for. It Specifically does not stack with other effects that allow Dex to damage.

6. Most Numeric Feats (other than Weapon Focus) now scale like Arcane Strike. (Exe Dodge- +1 Dodge bonus to AC at lvl 1 and an additional +1 for every 5 levels you posses) I know that more numbers aren't as cool as sparkly new abilities but I hate the REALLY lackluster feats.

7. The TWF chain is now 1 feat. If you qualify for Improved TWF and GTWF, you get them as abilities once you meet the prerequisites. The 2 Weapon Defense chain is likewise.

8. Mobility now grants the Run feat as well and vice-versa.

9. Spring Attack now works with Vital Strike and it's feats.

I know it's kinda random. I appreciate any thoughts.