PDA

View Full Version : Help finding a monster.

Beanjamish
2012-08-22, 08:47 PM
So I'm running a short pre-made (I know, I know) while our DM takes a break. I've committed to placing it in the same world as the DM's campaign, and am running into an issue: The pre-made has an important infected werewolf NPC, but the world I'm using specifically doesn't have lycanthropes.

The original story was that a few years back a little girl's parents were killed by a werewolf and she was infected. She was sent to an orphanage, where she first changed, and after killing a few people she was locked in the basement where she was tortured with silver tools to try and "cure" her. Later she escaped, burnt down the orphanage, and now prowls the place posing as a girl to gain someone's trust so she can kill and eat them when they let their guard down.

I need to replace this NPC with a new monster that can fill the role.
-Able to take the form of a human is a must. Illusions rather than transmutations are fine.
-Having once actually been human (maybe there's a good undead for this?) is a bonus.
-Something that can be harmed with a specific substance, so finding the torture basement provides hints, is a bonus.
-I am not married to the specific backstory. How the "kid" came to be in the orphanage can totally change based on the monster.

Finally, and largely why this is so hard, the party is only level 2. I need the monster to be a challenge, but not to be able to wipe the floor with them. Assuming the torture basement can be kept in the game, they might even have specific weapons to harm the creature.

GenghisDon
2012-08-22, 08:52 PM
doppelganger?

evil pixie?

Beanjamish
2012-08-22, 08:54 PM
I suppose that could work just fine. The only issue is motivation. Why infiltrate an orphanage, of all places, like that? The reasoning in and of itself could be pretty cool, though.

Edit:
Pixie seems a little more solid than Doppleganger cause fey logic doesn't need to make as much sense to us. I suppose it could have just posed as an orphan in order to play tricks on kids that cost them their lives, gotten found out and locked up and tortured with cold-iron. Maybe the people doing the torture didn't understand how pixies worked and assumed the kid was possessed.
It gets out, is tired of or spiteful toward the place so burns it down, and still "haunts" the area tricking people.

That could work! Thanks for the idea!

GenghisDon
2012-08-22, 08:59 PM
:smallsmile:you are welcome

evil pixie is CR4, but that's ok, especially if there are cold iron weapons about.

make it a changeling type fey story & it suits extremely well

it could have been exchanged for a human child, right?

Beanjamish
2012-08-22, 09:01 PM
Yeah, knowing my players at least one of them will loot the cold-iron torture equipment for its value. That will give them a little more of a chance against a CR 4 enemy.

Also I do have a place in my heart for twisted trickster fey that steal and replace children.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-08-22, 10:57 PM
For something a little lower CR'd, mayhaps a Changeling (ECS and MM3) with Fey Heritage feats? That'll give it a (lower) cold iron DR, and be more customizable to boot.

Beanjamish
2012-08-22, 11:59 PM
Also pretty good. The fey direction in general seems solid.

Kol Korran
2012-08-23, 12:55 AM
If I may suggest something a bit different... An intelligent monstrous spider that can hijack bodies, hiding in them. I give you my version of the Aranea:
Part 1 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6928935&postcount=30), Part 2 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6928942&postcount=31). It might add a slightly disturbing feel to the adventure.

No specific materials for weapons, but you can leave webs, threads, strange alien mind scribbling on the walls for clues against the creature. You also have the conundrum of saving the girl by banishing the aranea or killing it. And the parents might still be alive- enslaved to other aranea?

Hoping you like the idea. :smallwink: