PDA

View Full Version : Detailed spell lists - more than just name and level

rogueboy
2012-08-22, 09:38 PM
I'm looking to create a spreadsheet that will allow me to provide someone who doesn't know the spells for their class in great detail (either someone new to the game entirely, or to the class, or just trying a new family of spells), so that they have enough information to, in most situations, be able to play based solely on the spell list, and not have to reference the books. What that would mean would be a list that includes the full 'stat block' for spells (name, school/subschool/descriptors, level, components, cast time, target, save, SR, etc), along with any attack required (either a simple "ranged touch" for something like Melf's Acid Arrow or a more involved value, like "[CL]+8" for the grapple check for Evard's Black Tentacles) and a brief but functional description (eg, "1d6 fire damage per CL [max 10d6]" for fireball).

I was directed to a link that has the stat block and a decent description for all the PHB spells, and I can use spellforge to get the list of spells and descriptions for a lot of 3.5 sources, but I haven't found a list of the stat blocks for non-PHB spells. Given how much time it would take to enter all of these individually, I'm hoping that someone can point me to a source that has them - I don't mind doing find/replace type edits, but I'd really rather not have to manually adjust each spell, given that there are nearly 3000 spells on my list right now.

Alternatively, if anyone is insane and wants to help me complete the spreadsheet through brute force, send me a PM.

Slipperychicken
2012-08-22, 11:53 PM
This site (http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/index.php) pretty much already did that. When you search spells, at the bottom, just hit "detailed lines", and the result looks a lot like what you're trying to do here. There are some truly obscure spells which don't appear in that list, though. Remember to filter out any 3.0 books, Dragon Magazine, and 3rd party material as desired.

rogueboy
2012-08-23, 01:23 PM
Ah, thanks! I had played with that a bit before asking here, but apparently I never actually did the "detailed line" option. I'll have to figure out his short-hand (or find the key somewhere), but that seems reasonably straightforward. Looks like it'll still leave components, area/targets, and subschools to be figured out, but those should be workable. Worst case, I just add those on an as-needed basis going forward.