PDA

View Full Version : Swift action Psionic Powers

Answerer
2012-08-22, 11:24 PM
So I'm trying to decide which Psionic Powers would be best for my gish Erudite (StP is banned, unique powers per day are interpreted as being total, not per power level), and I'm gestalt with Warblade so I want to try to save my Standard Actions for Strikes.

Thus, I need to know what Powers make the best use of Swift actions. Long-duration personal buffs are also useful to know, though the UPD limit makes them... risky. Due to the way Erudites work, the powers can be off of any list (technically, I have to take those not on the main Psion list after they're a Power Level old, but don't worry about that for the purposes of this discussion).

I'm starting at level 6, probably going to play 7-8 levels worth.

Also, worth mentioning: I do have the option of going for Mantled Erudite. Generally speaking, that gets me vastly fewer Powers than does Favored Discipline, so I probably won't, but if there are any particularly good Mantles I'd be interested.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-23, 06:35 AM
Offensive/Defensive Precognition are good, they are insight bonus and AFAIK that is somewhat rare for attack/ AC bonus, though I might be wrong.

Psionic Lion's Charge can make for brutal charges (If you have Stance of Alacrity, you can tear up anyone if you combine it with Dancing/raging moongose).

Expansion has an augmentatiom for auto-quicken IIRC, in fact many powers have it.

Dimension Hop for swift action movement. Schism to furrher mess with action economy.

And finally I suggest getting a powet stonr or dorje of Psychic Reformation to have a quick (you have linked power right?) way of tailoring your maneuvers on the fly.

eggs
2012-08-23, 08:41 AM
Precognitions are expensive and don't stack well with Knowledge Devotion; I'm not a huge fan.

For most purposes, Dimension Hop, Temporal Acceleration and Hustle pull a lot of weight with swift actions, as well as anything Linked to them.

Any power selected through Sense Danger (MoE) can be manifested as an immediate action in the first/surprise round. There's a [scaling] PP cap, but it's a strong option.

On longer-duration buffs, Tail of the Dragon is an hour/level buff that adds a natural attack - usually worth manifesting an extended version the day before. And Inertial Armor is unsurprisingly similar.

The broken answer is Forced Dream (MoE), to just redo any round that doesn't go your way.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-23, 08:57 AM
I thought the PP/Bonus ratio was better, so yeah better skip the Precognition powers

pwykersotz
2012-08-23, 03:19 PM
A little off topic, but it is worth noting that while I agree with your DM in terms of interpreting unique powers per day (otherwise why even bother), there is actually a feat from Dragon 319 called Extra Unique Power that explicitly lays out that it is unique powers PER LEVEL per day. Take a look if the DM considers Dragon a valid source.

Urpriest
2012-08-23, 03:33 PM
A little off topic, but it is worth noting that while I agree with your DM in terms of interpreting unique powers per day (otherwise why even bother), there is actually a feat from Dragon 319 called Extra Unique Power that explicitly lays out that it is unique powers PER LEVEL per day. Take a look if the DM considers Dragon a valid source.

That was an early version of the Erudite, before it was reprinted in an actual book. Note that that particular version actually has different numbers of UPD for each power level, and caps out at 4. It would make more sense if the change to an overall UPD was intentional, given that the table vanished in the transition.

pwykersotz
2012-08-23, 04:02 PM
Excellent point UrPriest, I had not noticed that difference before.

Draz74
2012-08-23, 04:58 PM
If you're a Gestalt Warblade, you might actually have the BAB and Strength to get some utility out of Grip of Iron. Which is an immediate manifestation (even better than swift, still Link-able).

Roguenewb
2012-08-23, 05:10 PM
If you end up with psionic meditation, Hustle is really, really solid. Also allows for move-full attack.

Answerer
2012-08-23, 06:43 PM
Awesome, thanks everyone!

If you're a Gestalt Warblade, you might actually have the BAB and Strength to get some utility out of Grip of Iron. Which is an immediate manifestation (even better than swift, still Link-able).
I have BAB, but not currently Strength (went for Dex, but then maybe that was silly). I may change this though.

If you end up with psionic meditation, Hustle is really, really solid. Also allows for move-full attack.
I currently have Instant Clarity. While I think Swifts are almost as valuable as Moves, and I hate the 3/day limitation, the Wis 13 requirement on Psionic Meditation is really quite limiting. I may play with my point-buy a little on that score.