PDA

View Full Version : Bard,D.NecorMancer,War Mage/Sand Shaper?

silverwolfer
2012-08-22, 11:24 PM
So am sort of at a loss of what to do.

I know sand shaper, is mostly done for the flavor/spells granted.

Bard sort of gets most the spells already, so am not really favoring it to much.

Dread Necro am worried about being not as effective when versing what is expected to be alot of paladins and clerics.

War Mage, am worried about being a one trick pony.

So my question to folks here, to try and get the goal across the easiest. I am doing a campaign against clerics and palidens, and looking to find a fun mix of those with sandshaper. No PHB2 classes, or pure sorc/wizard.

Zaq
2012-08-22, 11:43 PM
Sand Shaper works on pretty much any class that can get in, because regardless of whether the spells it grants were already on your list or not, now you don't have to spend spells known on them. That's the real benefit. If you want to be a Bard, be a Bard. It won't be wasted.

silverwolfer
2012-08-23, 01:37 PM
alright thank you

HunterOfJello
2012-08-23, 05:24 PM
The bard can get access to many of those same spells, but they have a limit to their spells known. So, if they go into Sand Shaper their actual number of spells known is going to skyrocket immediately. That's a huge boon.

The Warmage is actually heavily benefited by the PrC too because the spells that they gain from Sand Shaper are spells from schools very different than the spells they have. Adding a list of summoning and buffing spells to a pure blaster will increase their utility greatly.

The Dread Necromancer may benefit the least, but I haven't paid attention to that class' spell list much so I can't really comment.

The Sorcerer gains the same benefits that the bard does, a massive increase in spells known. They normally have a highly limited spell list, but can suddenly cast a lot more spells in general.

~

Overall, all of the spontaneous casters are going to benefit from taking levels in Sand Shaper. The extra spells known is always great for either expanding a class' spell list into new spell schools or to just heavily increase the number of spells known.

Doxkid
2012-08-24, 03:23 AM
The Dread Necromancer may benefit the least, but I haven't paid attention to that class' spell list much so I can't really comment.

Good sir, I believe your pants may be aflame. Quite a problem, that.
-
Dread necromancers get MASSIVE use out of the Sand Shaper spells known list, just like most other Known List spellcasters.

The first 4 levels of spells give you: buffs, status effects that aren't negative energy based and more/better battlefield control. The damage spells you pick up are basically untyped, as opposed to the plethora of Dread necromancer spells that simply don't work on constructs and other NE immune foes.

The next few spell levels escalate to useful Save or Dies and even more battlefield control; DN has plenty of SoDs but only two of spells on the normal list get by Deathward innately.