PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Optimal Crafting Conditions?

Nepenthe
2012-08-23, 01:14 AM
In my current Eberron campaign, one of my players has access to the workshops at a Fabricators' Guild enclave (it helps when your last name is d'Cannith). It seems to me that the guild would give themselves every possible advantage when crafting mundane items. So other than Endless Wands of Magecraft and assistants to "aid another," what Craft check boosters can be built into or otherwise provided by the workshop?

The character who's going to be doing the crafting is a Level 2 Artificer; NPC's shouldn't be higher than Level 5. All WotC 3.5 sources are open, including Dragon Mag.

Thanks, everyone!

Flickerdart
2012-08-23, 01:18 AM
The optimal crafting conditions are a Dedicated Wright in a Bag of Holding.

Daftendirekt
2012-08-23, 01:19 AM
Masterwork Tools (Alchemist's lab if you're doing alchemy), perhaps magic items that give large competence bonuses to certain checks. There's also this broken-ass spell (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a) that I personally would never allow at all-- but especially on checks that are supposed to represent long periods of time spent working, like Craft.

Nepenthe
2012-08-23, 01:51 AM
It's funny, I've heard about Guidance of the Avatar many times, but I've never actually read it until now. It's really unfortunately worded. At first glance the duration seems to prevent using it for crafting, but it does specify "a single skill check" and crafting for a week (or a day) does indeed come down to a single check. So the real determining factor here is whether the check is made at the beginning or end of the crafting period. It doesn't seem plausible to interrupt crafting one minute before the end to cast a spell, but buffing up before starting makes perfect sense. Yay, ambiguity!

Thanks for pointing that out.

Also, I forgot to mention masterwork tools, but they are a given.

Flickerdart
2012-08-23, 02:07 AM
Contingent (whenever I make a Craft check) Guidance of the Avatar? :smalltongue:

Nepenthe
2012-08-25, 07:01 PM
If that's the worst abuse my players can come up with for Contingency, I'll count myself lucky. Any more ideas for methods low-level NPC's would use? I'll be running this tomorrow night.

Thanks!

Mithril Leaf
2012-08-25, 07:28 PM
I'm fairly sure a level 5 psionic artificer can make an item of psionic fabricate. Only barely, but I'm pretty sure it can be done.