PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Tumble Question

Zedicius
2012-08-23, 02:24 AM
The description of tumble states that tumbling past an enemy is -part- of normal movement and thus -part- of a move action. Assuming your speed is 30ft, does that mean you can tumble 15 and then move another 15 (or vice versa), or is your move action over after tumbling?

Malak'ai
2012-08-23, 02:52 AM
The way I read it is that you can Tumble any length of distance within your normal movement allowance. So if that means you walk 5' then tumble the 25' that's left over, that's fine.

Wonton
2012-08-23, 03:34 AM
You can, but keep in mind that the default Tumble DCs are for moving at half speed. So if you have 30 ft of movement, you could Tumble 10 ft and then walk 10 ft. You can move at full speed by adding 5 to the DC.

Allanimal
2012-08-23, 03:53 AM
You can move at full speed by adding 5 to the DC.

Rules Compendium says it adds 10 to the DC.
You can also tumble while running, but the DC goes up by 20.

Zedicius
2012-08-23, 04:49 AM
You can, but keep in mind that the default Tumble DCs are for moving at half speed. So if you have 30 ft of movement, you could Tumble 10 ft and then walk 10 ft. You can move at full speed by adding 5 to the DC.

Aaah, so your total movement speed is halved when you tumble. I thought the 'max' tumble distance was half your movement speed.

Wonton
2012-08-23, 04:50 AM
Rules Compendium says it adds 10 to the DC.
You can also tumble while running, but the DC goes up by 20.

This is correct. That's what I get for answering a rules question using my memory and not the SRD. :smallsigh:

Although, Balance is only a -5 penalty for full speed. So I instead blame my mistake on 3.5's inconsistencies. :smalltongue:

Interestingly enough, even though both these skills became Acrobatics in Pathfinder, they kept the -10 on Tumble, but completely got rid of the option to move full speed while balancing. Weird.

Aaah, so your total movement speed is halved when you tumble. I thought the 'max' tumble distance was half your movement speed.

Just think of it like difficult terrain. While using Balance, Hide, Move Silently, or Tumble, movement costs 2 squares per square moved. Or 3 per diagonal.

Zedicius
2012-08-23, 04:57 AM
Yeah, I think I just figured it out after re-reading it... English isn't my native language.

Basically, when you move the distance you tumble is doubled. Tumbling one square counts as two squares when moving around.

Rainbownaga
2012-08-25, 09:13 AM
The bit about running isn't in the SRD.

Is there any way to charge while tumbling?

Darrin
2012-08-25, 10:22 AM
Is there any way to charge while tumbling?

You can use the Jump skill while charging to jump over obstacles. I don't see why you couldn't tumble past obstacles as well, so long as you're still meeting all the criteria for charging.