PDA

View Full Version : Blood magic

God Imperror
2012-08-23, 06:09 AM
I am starting to work towards introducing some blood magic into my campaign.

The blood mages would be NPCs and for stating them at the moment im using the generic spellcaster (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm) so any spell list should be fine (if the spell is interesting and fitting but not on the cleric, druid or sorc/wiz spell list it can be handwaved into the class).

So...

Does anyone know some good blood related spells (no matter how obscure the source)?

Does anyone know of some good homebrewed blood related class? If it is a blood mage even better.

Any additional idea?

Baroncognito
2012-08-23, 06:36 AM
If you can adapt Pathfinder material, there's the Bloatmage (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/a-b/bloatmage).

Eldan
2012-08-23, 07:37 AM
I have a sorcerer with a few blood related powers. As for actual blood spells, I can only think of Bloodstar, right now. Spell Compendium. It's an area spell that draws blood from all open wounds, pretty cool.

Garagos
2012-08-23, 08:04 AM
Not sure exactly what you're going for as far as fluff/theme, but an old 3.0 book had a Blood Magus or something like that in it. Can't recall the name of the book right now, but it was the Wiz/Sorc version of Masters of the Wild and Sword and Fist. I know eventually the Blood Magus could use living bodies to teleport with and do damage when they entered/exited. Stuff like that.

Doxkid
2012-08-23, 09:38 AM
Avasculate
Burning Blood
Burning blood (yes, there are two Burning Bloods. Once is a buff, the other an attack)
Boiling Blood
Demonic Blood Infusion as a buff
Fire in the Blood
Blade of Blood
Blood of Fire
Blood of the Martyr
Blood frenzy
Blood to water
Blood in the water
Unicorn blood
Unicorn heart
Bleed
Dragonblood Pact
Ferocity of Sanguine Rage
Desiccate
Ashen union
Extract Water elemental
----
Heart Clutch
Stop heart
Heart's ease
Celestial Blood

(all I can remember/find for now)

The Redwolf
2012-08-23, 10:00 AM
Not sure exactly what you're going for as far as fluff/theme, but an old 3.0 book had a Blood Magus or something like that in it. Can't recall the name of the book right now, but it was the Wiz/Sorc version of Masters of the Wild and Sword and Fist. I know eventually the Blood Magus could use living bodies to teleport with and do damage when they entered/exited. Stuff like that.

I think the Blood Magus is in the 3.5 Complete Mage or PHB2, let me check.

Edit: It's Complete Arcane.

pwykersotz
2012-08-23, 01:47 PM
Don't forget Summon Blood Elemental. That's a nasty one.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-08-23, 04:56 PM
Animate Dead. :smallbiggrin:

And by that, I mean Bloodhulks (from MM...4?)

HunterOfJello
2012-08-23, 05:20 PM
If there are any Sorcerer types involved, you could hook them up with some items from the Instruments of the Blood Gift item set too. It's pretty cool and can be found in the magic item compendium.

Eugenides
2012-08-23, 05:23 PM
Going to second complete arcane's Blood Magus. It has some fun little abilities.

Ravens_cry
2012-08-23, 06:06 PM
There is a spell called Red Tide in Stormwrack and the Spell Compendium that sickens targets that save and nauseates those that fail for a minute. Now, it explicitly refers to it as sea water, but with a one word fluff change, and, well, I hope you can see where I am going with this.
Bloody nasty piece of business.

God Imperror
2012-08-23, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the suggestions :smallbiggrin:

I looked into the complete arcane blood magus already and decided to give the blood mages the option to use their blood instead of material components (as if they had the eschew materials feat) for coolness.

I am also going to look into those spells some sound really interesting and I can totally see the red tide.

I also thought about using drown but substituting water with blood I suppose I can refluff several water based spells for that.

The Redwolf
2012-08-23, 06:58 PM
I also thought about using drown but substituting water with blood I suppose I can refluff several water based spells for that.

If you're going to do that make sure to include the Create Water orison, because that's just all kinds of fun at that point, I think you make like a gallon per level if I remember correctly...

God Imperror
2012-08-23, 07:02 PM
That's a lot of blood :smallbiggrin:

I will have to note that the blood cannot be used as a spell component though, it could end being broken.

Rosalinath
2012-08-23, 07:03 PM
tainted sorcerer (Unearthed Arcana) and its upgrade Tainted Scholar (Heroes of Horror) both use blood magic effectively. Taint rules are required though, so some changes would be in order

Kuulvheysoon
2012-08-23, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the suggestions :smallbiggrin:

I looked into the complete arcane blood magus already and decided to give the blood mages the option to use their blood instead of material components (as if they had the eschew materials feat) for coolness.

I will have to note that the blood cannot be used as a spell component though, it could end being broken.

Umm... that's already written into the class abilities. Try looking under the Blood Component (Su) class feature. First sentence:

A blood magus can substitute a drop of his own blood for a spell's material components, if any, and in doing so increase the spell's power.

The Redwolf
2012-08-23, 07:13 PM

True, it'd still be disgusting. I don't think you'd have trouble justifying the necessity of rolls to avoid being nauseated.

Ravens_cry
2012-08-24, 02:49 AM
True, it'd still be disgusting. I don't think you'd have trouble justifying the necessity of rolls to avoid being nauseated.
Only for people not the caster. You'd be surprised what you can get used to. Triage surgeons don't blow chunks every time they have to provide care. Been able to nauseate people with an orison is also *very* powerful, especially if you use the fairly common house-rule in which orisons are unlimited use.

The Redwolf
2012-08-24, 08:30 AM
That's what I was meaning was when you cast it at other people, if you're a blood mage you're very likely used to blood, even/especially in large quantities.

God Imperror
2012-08-24, 11:37 AM
Umm... that's already written into the class abilities. Try looking under the Blood Component (Su) class feature. First sentence:

I meant that I was giving it to spellcasters in a homebrew setting :smallsmile:

I am using a general spellcaster from UA cherry picking spells with some blood theme (or refluffing others) and gave them the option (well actually not the option) to cast spells paying for components with blood.