PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 ride mechanics question

nmpilot85
2012-08-23, 07:27 AM
Hello all,

I am in a small 3.5e 2 player lvl 10 campaign. We hope to take this up to epic lvl so I am trying really hard to work on a team strategy. I am trying desperately to find all the mechanics to run this idea I have….
My buddy is going to be a centaur monk and I was going to be a cleric… that’s really the basics. I wanted to focus on super anti-spell and he was going to focus on super anti physical.

Here is the catch, I would be riding him.

I wanted to be a devout defender with a ranged whip to help ward off physical attacks to either of us.

so i realized that before i build my character i need to understand all the mechanics of riding another player like:

1. what is my AC (chance of physical [melee or projectile] strike) like when riding (cause he will have snatch arrow and combat reflex)

2.can i block personal spells on my partner [I.e. hold person]?

3.can he reflect a spell heading for me (if he has spell reflection)

4.can i parry an attack going for him with an AoO

5. if one of us takes mounted feats does it benifit both [i.e. mounted combat]

I am looking for a full mechanical break down as well as tips to help this all work (with sources)

Thanks in advance for the help

p.s. he will be large size and I will be medium.

eggs
2012-08-23, 08:50 AM
1. Both your ACs are the same as normal. The mounted character might be slightly less likely to grant attackers a higher-ground bonus, though.
2-5. No. None of those are in the rules. You might try setting them up as houserules, but none of them make much sense.

Atomsk777
2012-08-23, 08:58 AM
i'd recommend using a spiked chain over the whip.

Careless
2012-08-23, 06:09 PM
i'd recommend using a spiked chain over the whip.

I don't think his partner would appreciate that.

Urpriest
2012-08-23, 06:13 PM
Remember, you can't make attacks of opportunity with a whip, if that's your primary goal in using one.

nmpilot85
2012-08-23, 08:48 PM
Thank you for the info.

So both the mounter and the mounted player would act completely independently unless I sought out classes,feats or abilities that would normally override this? (devoted defender, divine counter spell...)

Can anyone think of anything that might help me aid my fellow player?
(i am afraid of a mind effecting spell used on him)

also, here is one example i was really thinking about...
caster casts fireball at us, i fail my reflex check, my buddy passes with improved uncanny dodge...
Do I take damage?

Randomguy
2012-08-23, 08:56 PM
Thank you for the info.

So both the mounter and the mounted player would act completely independently unless I sought out classes,feats or abilities that would normally override this? (devoted defender, divine counter spell...)

Can anyone think of anything that might help me aid my fellow player?
(i am afraid of a mind effecting spell used on him)

also, here is one example i was really thinking about...
caster casts fireball at us, i fail my reflex check, my buddy passes with improved uncanny dodge...
Do I take damage?

You mean improved evasion, right?
But yes, you would still take damage.

If he gets hit by a mind affecting spell, then you can always dispel it. You could also counterspell it, if you readied an action. In general, though, it's better to ready an action to disrupt a spell by attacking the caster than it is to counterspell it.

If you take the mounted combat feat, though, then you could try to negate one attack made against him each round, but you need a lot of ranks in ride to have any chance of success.

nmpilot85
2012-08-24, 07:02 AM
I am getting a clearer picture. I appreciate it. any suggestions on race or template for a cleric focused on dispell or counterspell?

Downysole
2012-08-24, 07:08 AM
The good news is that by riding your buddy, you get a free move action every round. The bad news is that it's pretty easy for you BOTH to be flanked at the same time.