PDA

View Full Version : [3.x]Damage Reducing Templates

dark.sun.druid
2012-08-23, 10:45 AM
3.x]Damage Reducing Templates haracter for a PbP game here on the forums. I'm building a tanky character for our dungeon crawl, and my original build was a Crucian Mineral Warrior Fighter. However, the GM ruled not to allow the Mineral Warrior template. The problem is, I gave up on a lot of HD to build this character, and without the DR from Mineral Warrior I'm going to be squishy as hell should anything slip past my AC. So, I'm looking for a +1 LA template (I can't spare any more class levels) to replace the DR given by Mineral Warrior. The CON boost would be nice too, to keep up what little health I have, but it's nowhere near as important as the DR. You've never failed me before, Playground! Let's see what you've got up your sleeves this time.

metabolicjosh
2012-08-23, 11:16 AM
Why does he not allow mineral warrior?
And there is a feat that give DR2- and it stacks so get 4 of those and go to hell.
Ps don't forget to come back.

metabolicjosh
2012-08-23, 11:19 AM
Buy & Large DR is pointless in the long run anyways.

dark.sun.druid
2012-08-23, 11:31 AM
Why does he not allow mineral warrior?
And there is a feat that give DR2- and it stacks so get 4 of those and go to hell.
Ps don't forget to come back.
I asked, he hasn't responded yet. I saw the feat (CWar, right?), but I really only have one feat I can spare. It'll help if I have to, but having it in a template would be nice.

Buy & Large DR is pointless in the long run anyways.

I know, but I'm just talking short term survivability. We're level 5,I have less than 30hp,and I'm one of the party's main tanks. I do have extraordinary AC, but things will still hit me every so often, and I'd rather not go down in one hit. I've got really high CON, so this problem should go away on its own soon, I just need to get through like two levels first. The build was really good with MW, but without it I'm starting to think I may need to scrap what I have and come at this from a totally different angle.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-23, 11:50 AM
Quasilycanthrope gives DR 8/Silver; but it can only be applied to Humanoids and Giants IIRC so it might not work for crucians (turtle people right?).

Urpriest
2012-08-23, 01:06 PM
Quasilycanthrope gives DR 8/Silver; but it can only be applied to Humanoids and Giants IIRC so it might not work for crucians (turtle people right?).

Crucians are humanoids.

That said, is this free LA? Otherwise, why not take a class level in its place?

dextercorvia
2012-08-23, 01:22 PM

DR 10/Silver unless it was updated after the web article.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-23, 01:50 PM
My mistake, I was going from memory.

dark.sun.druid
2012-08-23, 03:39 PM
Crucians are humanoids.

That said, is this free LA? Otherwise, why not take a class level in its place?
I'm running straight fighter, and the next level would be three, ie the dead level. I'd rather take the short term benefits of a template (since I don't think this game will cover many levels anyway).

DR 10/Silver unless it was updated after the web article.

That sounds perfect! Could you point me to a source?

Roguenewb
2012-08-23, 03:43 PM
That is a hilarious template. LA 1 for DR 10/basically never? That's awesomely efficient, its not as good as mineral warrior, but still, wow.

Urpriest
2012-08-23, 03:46 PM
I'm running straight fighter, and the next level would be three, ie the dead level. I'd rather take the short term benefits of a template (since I don't think this game will cover many levels anyway).

That sounds perfect! Could you point me to a source?

So you're required to go straight on in one particular class? Because a level of Crusader would probably give you better survivability overall, and with your other levels being Fighter 2 you wouldn't even suffer multiclass penalties.

Here's the source for Quasilycanthrope. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20040721a)

dark.sun.druid
2012-08-23, 04:03 PM
So you're required to go straight on in one particular class? Because a level of Crusader would probably give you better survivability overall, and with your other levels being Fighter 2 you wouldn't even suffer multiclass penalties.

Here's the source for Quasilycanthrope. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20040721a)

It's not technically required, no, but my non-physical ability scores are terrible. I might be able to support a level of Barbarian or something that's totally based on physical scores I guess... But even Barbarian isn't totally based on physical scores. Anyway, thanks for the link! I'll see if I can get that approved with the GM, and if he doesn't allow it I'll see what I can swing in terms of class levels.

Urpriest
2012-08-23, 04:16 PM
It's not technically required, no, but my non-physical ability scores are terrible. I might be able to support a level of Barbarian or something that's totally based on physical scores I guess... But even Barbarian isn't totally based on physical scores. Anyway, thanks for the link! I'll see if I can get that approved with the GM, and if he doesn't allow it I'll see what I can swing in terms of class levels.

On that note, Crusader may use Charisma for a few class features, but especially at level 1 it's completely safe to dump it, and beyond that it has the same ability score dependencies as a Fighter.

Roguenewb
2012-08-23, 05:06 PM
I wonder if there is anyway to get the Quasilycanthrope and Mineral Warrior DRs to stack...

Lonely Tylenol
2012-08-23, 05:23 PM
I wonder if there is anyway to get the Quasilycanthrope and Mineral Warrior DRs to stack...

No way that I know of, but the overlapping DR is enough to basically be considered DR 8/-- (because no weapon can be simultaneously silver and adamantine, barring quicksilver capsules and the Transmuting weapon property). Not too shabby, if I do say so myself.

HunterOfJello
2012-08-23, 05:29 PM
Crusader Quasilycranthrope with Stone Power is always an amazing choice for a tank. The damage resistance and delayed damage pool stack up and turnthem into extraordinarily hard to kill PCs.

dark.sun.druid
2012-08-23, 05:36 PM
On that note, Crusader may use Charisma for a few class features, but especially at level 1 it's completely safe to dump it, and beyond that it has the same ability score dependencies as a Fighter.

Crusader Quasilycranthrope with Stone Power is always an amazing choice for a tank. The damage resistance and delayed damage pool stack up and turnthem into extraordinarily hard to kill PCs.

Alright, I'll take a look into it. We have a crusader already, so I don't want to step on any toes, but if you think it's safe to dump CHA for the early levels it's something I'll strongly consider.

dextercorvia
2012-08-23, 09:58 PM
If still have the feat to spare, Thick-Skinned (SS) will increase your DR/Silver by 2.

dark.sun.druid
2012-08-23, 10:37 PM
If still have the feat to spare, Thick-Skinned (SS) will increase your DR/Silver by 2.

I can drop Alertness to get it. I think I probably will. Other characters can make the listen checks at night. :smalltongue:

Andezzar
2012-08-24, 12:13 AM
No way that I know of, but the overlapping DR is enough to basically be considered DR 8/-- (because no weapon can be simultaneously silver and adamantine, barring quicksilver capsules and the Transmuting weapon property). Not too shabby, if I do say so myself.Quicksilver capsules can't overcome that DR either. The capsules (as well as silversheen) change the weapons material to silver, overriding any previous material. Transmuting will remove all of the DR.