PDA

View Full Version : So I want to throw rocks at people

Atomsk777
2012-08-23, 01:22 PM
So I have a build I've come up with that's designed around throwing really really big rocks. Colossal sized even.

I'm the DM, and this NPC is going to be accompanying my players party (they should be just about level 20 at this point)

I have a really solid build for actually throwing rocks. My problem is getting the rocks to throw available to me.

My plan is to have this character rip up solid chunks of earth from the ground, or out of walls ect.

My questions are:

- What would a reasonable DC be for lifting chunks of earth out of the ground
- How many squares of space would a gargantuan/colossal sized chunk of earth take up
- What would happen to the battle field after he rips up the earth (rough terrain/ect)

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :smallsmile:

Slipperychicken
2012-08-23, 01:54 PM
I recommend looking up the Hulking Hurler; throwing really big things is the build's goal, and I hear it can even throw the moon at people for ludicrous damage.

A piece of rock occupies the same space as a creature of the appropriate size, although exceptions exist for unusually-shaped objects, just like there are for creatures. A Medium sized rock occupies a 5x5 square, a Large one 10x5, and so on.

Closest thing I can think of for ripping chunks out of walls is Break DCs (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/dungeons.htm#dungeonTerrain). They seem like a decent reference, just make some more categories (for loose earth, packed earth, etc). Assuming the character has the Strength to lift the rocks, there shouldn't be a check required after ripping them free from the earth.

Might want to check the rules for structural damage for what the ground would look like, but AFAIK, the rule is full damage to the 5x5 square targeted, half damage to adjacent squares, quarter damage to squares 5ft farther out, and so on. Maybe a square with 30-50% of its hp gone is difficult terrain, and with all hp gone is completely gone?

Atomsk777
2012-08-23, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the ideas. :smallbiggrin:

Hulking hurler is a big part of the build.

the square sizes actually helps quite a bit. That gives me the info I need concerning the size of earth he will be removing.

as far as terrain goes, i'll have to mull it over, but thx again

The Redwolf
2012-08-23, 03:59 PM
Bloodstorm Blade could be useful, especially since it gives your rocks the ability to return to you.

Slipperychicken
2012-08-23, 04:47 PM
Bloodstorm Blade could be useful, especially since it gives your rocks the ability to return to you.

Boulder Full Attack time :smallbiggrin:

That mental image is just... too much

The Redwolf
2012-08-23, 05:00 PM

High enough levels make them ricochet too...:smallwink:

Thalnawr
2012-08-23, 05:26 PM

What about full attacking with the moon?

Slipperychicken
2012-08-23, 07:35 PM
What about full attacking with the moon?

Apocalypse From the Sky II: Mundane Edition :smallcool:

Soranar
2012-08-24, 03:10 AM
Alright, try this

feat: hidden talent (gain usage of a single level 1 psionic power), requires Cha 11 if you do not have a manifesting class that lets you use another STAT

psionic power: call weaponry (psychic warrior power, level 1)

-calls any weapon , it also fails to state the size of the weapon you call so you get to choose it

Weapon: rock
size: up to you
weight: up to you

Atomsk777
2012-08-24, 09:08 AM
Alright, try this

feat: hidden talent (gain usage of a single level 1 psionic power), requires Cha 11 if you do not have a manifesting class that lets you use another STAT

-calls any weapon , it also fails to state the size of the weapon you call so you get to choose it

wow! total work around right there. Thanks!

not quite as epic as ripping up the very earth...
but it works :)

Qwertystop
2012-08-24, 10:45 AM
Magic Item Compendium page 150. Bag of Boulders. 3 charges per day. Expending charges gives throwing stones that give automatic proficiency, have a 50 foot range increment, and hit as hard as boulders. The more charges expended on a single stone, the more damage it does (2d6, 3d6, or 4d6 damage). Sort of like the Healing Belt that way.

Thalnawr
2012-08-24, 12:31 PM
Alright, try this

This begs the question, is this 3.5 or is Pathfinder material allowed? If it is allowed, a single level of Psychic Warrior with the Mind Knight path can net you Call Weaponry that you can use by expending your Focus. Basically unlimited ammunition per day!

Andvare
2012-08-24, 01:45 PM
Hulking Hurler + War Hulk = Hurts.

Hulking Hurler + Cancer Mage = "Why is that Ogre throwing Jupiter at the Earth?"