View Full Version : PF Witch in a Fantasy/Wetern Build advice

Entelechy
2012-08-23, 02:39 PM
Howdy! I am playing a witch in a fantasy western game, and I am having a bit of trouble.

Basically, I am trying to decide whether to dip into Spellslinger, Gunslinger, or both, or neither.

The setting is Guns Everywhere, so they are all simple weapons and pretty cheap. We are starting at 6th level. I'm thinking the double barrel shotgun is a good choice of weapon for my character. I am going for a debuffing witch with some battlefield control.

The GM has confirmed that I could cast my witch spells through an arcane gun to gain the DC/to hit bonus, and that I could burn witch spells for Magic Bullet. However the gunsmith feat would not be upgraded to gun training at first level, as it would be for a gunfighter in a guns everywhere setting.

Taking a level of gunfighter (musket master) would get me the rapid reload bonus feat, let me add my dex to my shotgun damage, and give me grit/deeds. I was planning on taking Rapid reload as a feat, so I can both Cackle and reload. Taking a level in this class would actually free me up to get another hex (via the Extra Hex feat).

Dipping into both of these classes seems to give me really worthwile bonuses. However I am the only full arcane caster in a group of 11 people, and the other other full caster is a cleric. I wonder if I should just go straight witch and let other folks handle the shooting.

Any thoughts or advice?

Stone Heart
2012-08-23, 08:12 PM
If you use the prehensile hair hex, I believe you can have your hair do the reloading for you.

Also I would be remiss to not mention the concept, if your character is a male witch, of using a prehensile mustache to reload your weaponry. Why? I don't know, it just seems like a good idea. Think Yosemite Sam.

avr
2012-08-24, 04:36 AM
"A spellslinger can cast any ranged touch attack, cone, line, or ray spells through his arcane gun." - do witches get many of these? From what I remember of the witch spell list I don't think they do.

I don't think it's worth dipping a level in wizard just to become better at shooting things when you're already a primary spellcaster. If I'm wrong and there are a bunch of witch spells which would benefit, you wouldn't be hurt too much. Going straight witch is more of a power option, it's just a question of how much.

Oh, if you want to dip a little into weapon magic without losing caster levels, look into the half elf bonded witch archetype.

Ravens_cry
2012-08-24, 04:45 AM
Actually, I think the Witch as written would fit right in to a Fantasy Western game. The old witch doctor or wise woman ring any bells?
Not everyone in a western fires a gun.

Entelechy
2012-08-24, 10:10 AM
Hmmm... it seems I had been misinterpreting the arcane gun ability. I thought it would apply to a broader range of abilities. Okay then. Pure witch it is.

Thanks for your input, everyone!

Arbane
2012-08-24, 10:39 AM
"A spellslinger can cast any ranged touch attack, cone, line, or ray spells through his arcane gun." - do witches get many of these? From what I remember of the witch spell list I don't think they do.

Chill Touch, Vampiric Touch, Touch of Idiocy... they've got a few.

avr
2012-08-24, 11:19 PM
Ranged touch attack Arbane. None of those qualify.