View Full Version : Teleporting Archers! Oh my! [Another Build Help Thread]

Vixsor Lumin
2012-08-23, 02:40 PM
Hello Playground :smallbiggrin: I need help with a concept character for an upcoming game. I've been wanting to play a teleporting ranged character for a while now, and I had a way to do it, but in my next game were not allowed to use psionics :smallannoyed: So I turn to you oh mighty 3.5 subforum, how can I make this happen?

Notes:
Starting at 1st level, the build doesn't have to come online then, but I would like it to be a playable character from the start

Would like teleportation to be a move action if possible

Low powered game, so concept meeting is more important than being able to stomp on baddies

Rolls are 15,12,12,12,10,10

Anything is allowed except Dragon mag

Spells cost 1 hp per spell level to cast

Spells above 4th level have a chance of nehaving stangely. To quote the DM "it could be as minor as a cure spell healing more or less than usual, or as major as the spell backfiring or infecting you with White Scourge." White Scourge is a 100% fatal disease that is the center piece of the campaign.

So People of the Playground, will help me?

The Gilded Duke
2012-08-23, 02:59 PM
Hmm two move action teleports that come to mind are Blink Shirt and Shadow Stride / Shadow Blink. Two levels of totemist would get you the blink shirt up and going, although the range is limited. There are multiple ways to get Shadow Stride / Shadow Blink, but getting them more then once an encounter is more demanding. Don't forget sudden leap either, technically a jump, but its a swift action jump.

Would some variation of Shadow Jaunt work? Teleporting as a standard action then full attacking? Hmm Teflammer Shadowlord doesn't require melee attacks at the end, but does require you to teleport to melee range. Same with Crinti Shadow Marauder. Eberron prc, but Blade of Orien (Dragonmarked 99) might be the way to go. Can teleport as a move action from level 2. At level 10 can full attack as part of that move action. The full attack doesn't require melee range, could do something nasty with move action teleport to full attack followed by a Greater Many shot. Looks like it has limited uses but there might be a way to get around that.

fryplink
2012-08-23, 03:16 PM
Wizard 1 conjurer ACF, you get immediate action teleports per day? They aren't spells so they won't hurt you without a further DM ruling. You lose full BAB but make up for that with reliable access to true strike. Very pop in- shoot- hit -flee.

Fable Wright
2012-08-23, 03:33 PM
Hm... I figured out a trick that might work for this from an old Iron Chef competition. It's slightly cheesy, but it should work. Take 5 levels in any class with Trapfinding, and then Trapsmith 3 (or more, but only Trapsmith 3 is needed for the build). Now, Trapsmith 3 gives you 2nd level spells from a list that has Haste as a 1st level spell, and Dimension Door as a 2nd level spell. You can now cast a teleportation spell out of a second level spell slot, albeit few times per day and as a standard action. How to really get use out of it, though, is to use the Glyph Seal item on page 161 of the MiC. You can cast any spell of 2nd level or lower into it, and then stick it on a nonmagical item (like a pouch or pocket), and whenever someone opens it, they are affected by the stored spell. So, as a free action, reach into your pocket and D. Door away, or activate Haste. From here, you can continue Trapsmith for a few levels, and nab Wall of Stone, or go Dragon Disciple for a few levels to get extra uses of Dimension Door per day for more in-combat teleportation.

Malroth
2012-08-23, 04:21 PM
Max wisdom Elf Unarmed Swordsage with the zen archery feat, and Shadowhand maneuvers.

nedz
2012-08-23, 10:17 PM
Knights Move SpC Cleric 3 Paladin2, 5' / 2 levels, swift action, though you must end up flanking an enemy.

Have you considered Blink ? Its a level 3 Sorc/Wiz spell but you can get it on a ring. Etherealness instead of Teleport.

6 Levels of Horizon Walker can get you unlimited dimension doors (well once every d4 rounds) but that is a standard action.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-08-23, 10:24 PM
Maybe work with your DM to create a savage progression for an Arrow Demon (MM3)?

eggs
2012-08-23, 10:29 PM
I suck at Binders, but don't they have some archery vestiges and Flicker? Someone who has more patience for them could probably do something neat.

Otherwise, I almost think I should point at Blade of Orion for a mostly nonmagical class with teleportation, but it's kind of a disappointing class.

Kane0
2012-08-23, 11:10 PM
If you're allowed homebrew, would these (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249389) help? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233256)

You'd still need to qualify though.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2012-08-23, 11:43 PM
Feflammer Shadowlord with two levels of totemist for blink shirt and a standard and move action teleport to attack out of. I remember finding a many use swift teleport, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. But with this routine you get three full attacks, one for each teleport. A requirement for this to be exceedingly deadly is the splitting enhancement on a bow (or two hand-crossbows) and the feat Woodland Archer from RotW.

DeusMortuusEst
2012-08-24, 12:27 AM
Warlock can do this out of the box. Not very optimized though.

Thiramon
2012-08-24, 02:04 AM
Another - quite cheesy - way ist to grab the feat Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm). Pick the special purpose dedicated power Dimension Door (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/intelligentItems.htm#specialPurposeItemDedicatedPo wers). Now, as a free action, you can command your item to use DD. Remember that the item acts on your initiative, but you can still delay (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialInitiativeActions.htm) your action so your item familiar can act first, both staying on the same initiative.

Regards,

Thiramon

ILM
2012-08-24, 03:33 AM
Dimension Jumper from SC gives you a round/lvl move action 30 ft teleport, but it's a level 5 spell.

avr
2012-08-24, 03:52 AM
An elven swordsage (elf for bow proficiency) would probably be the best IMO. The Blade of Orien is quite tied to Eberron with the house and the dragonmarks and it sounds like your campaign's not there. You need dex for some archery feats, so the stats are pretty straightforward; if you want you could pick up some Setting Sun throws and fluff them as 'offensive teleports'.

Vixsor Lumin
2012-08-24, 04:23 AM
Thanks eberyone for the responses. I've asked to use a homebrewed discipline for ranged attacks and going to use the swordsage shadow hand manuvers to teleport. I'm not sure if hell let me, so please keep the ideas coming :smallbiggrin:

Also @Kane0 I really like the Telestepper. I requested a homebrew that would do exactly that but was dissapointed by the results. Wether I use it or not for this campaign, I will be keeping that page bookmarked :smallwink: