PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Help

platinuprincess
2012-08-23, 04:36 PM
Hello :) This is my first post here so please bear with me as Im not really sure how to start this so i'll just start from the beginning. I am fairly new to Pathfinder/D&D 3.5 and I will be playing in my first full blown campaign that is not a dungeon crawl in a few weeks and I have been told to spend this time coming up with a character.

That being said our DM has said that any pathfinder and D&D 3.5 books are available to us as long as we can find the info on what we are using. I decided to make a Paladin of Bahamut as I wanted to try something different from my last character who was a Gnome Sorcerer with the Abyssal Bloodline. I got permission from my dm to be a little cheesy with my race this time so please put all eggs you might throw at me for this away. I am going to play a Dragonborn of Bahamut that was a Draconic Assimar (Agathion-blooded) before the change I suppose we can start there.

The Stats I rolled are 16, 13, 18, 16, 14, 15 and I was told to put them in the stats I felt best fit so heres what I did.

Str:16
Dex:13
Con:18
Int:14
Wis:15
Cha:16

Now we factor in the racial bonuses which are +2 Str, -2 Dex, +6 con, +4 Cha and the 2 level up bonuses for being level 9 which go as +1 dex, & +1 Wis I would have been 10 but the Draconic template took a level away so my new stats should look something like this.

Str: 18
Dex: 12
Con: 24
Int: 14
Wis: 16
Cha: 20

Anyway that's what we are looking at obviously I am gonna be a meat shield type character. So my questions involve a few things like 1. Should I go straight Pathfinder Paladin or branch into some prestige class. 2. What feats do you recommend I take. 3. What dragonborn racial ability should I take? Heart, Mind, Or Wings. Any and all input are greatly appreciated.

Gavinfoxx
2012-08-23, 04:41 PM
Is this a 3.5e with importing PF stuff?

Is this a PF game with importing 3.5e stuff?

What takes precedent for what?

Do you want to play something that has some version of the Paladin class?

Or do you want to play something that, regardless of class, can call itself a Paladin?

Also, I wouldn't get ANY level adjustment if I were you. Trust me. A Dragonborn Lesser Aasimar can have the same fluff as a Draconic Aasimar, but has 0 LA rather than 2.

platinuprincess
2012-08-23, 04:47 PM
Is this a 3.5e with importing PF stuff?

Is this a PF game with importing 3.5e stuff?

What takes precedent for what?

Do you want to play something that has some version of the Paladin class?

Or do you want to play something that, regardless of class, can call itself a Paladin?

Also, I wouldn't get ANY level adjustment if I were you. Trust me. A Dragonborn Lesser Aasimar can have the same fluff as a Draconic Aasimar, but has 0 LA rather than 2.

1. Pathfinder importing 3.5 stuff

2. Im wanting to play a pathfinder version paladin but Im not sure if I should go straight paladin or include some prestige class levels.

3. Also the pathfinder Assimar has no listed level adjustment so our dm treated it as not having one and the draconic aspect was for history and stat buffs.

Gavinfoxx
2012-08-23, 04:50 PM
Ah, Pathfinder Races and Pathfinder Paladin, then...

Well, Paladin is a solid class in Pathfinder... though if you can import 3.5e feats, with PF stuff taking precedence, there should still be some good and useful stuff you can do. I don't know enough about PF Paladin to come up with specifics, but I would presume that getting some Tome of Battle maneuvers and stances via feat would be great...

platinuprincess
2012-08-23, 04:53 PM
Ah, Pathfinder Races and Pathfinder Paladin, then...

Well, Paladin is a solid class in Pathfinder... though if you can import 3.5e feats, with PF stuff taking precedence, there should still be some good and useful stuff you can do. I don't know enough about PF Paladin to come up with specifics, but I would presume that getting some Tome of Battle maneuvers and stances via feat would be great...

Perhaps but if I was gonna use maneuvers I would have just gone crusader lol X3

Than
2012-08-23, 05:00 PM
I reviewed the PF paladin and straight paladin looks good. Though you might also want to check out the archetypes (like alternate class features, but you have to take all feature replacements of the archetypes) found in the advanced player's rulebook and ultimate combat. There might be some in ultimate magic.

Yep. More in ultimate magic.

platinuprincess
2012-08-23, 05:02 PM
I reviewed the PF paladin and straight paladin looks good. Though you might also want to check out the archetypes (like alternate class features, but you have to take all feature replacements of the archetypes) found in the advanced player's rulebook and ultimate combat. There might be some in ultimate magic.

Yep. More in ultimate magic.

I dont have the advanced players guide though our dm does anyplace I can look up the different archetypes online?

Gavinfoxx
2012-08-23, 05:17 PM
All the Pathfinder rules are at http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

platinuprincess
2012-08-23, 05:19 PM
Thanks :) Now how about we get down to stuff like which Dragonborn aspect should I take?

eggs
2012-08-23, 05:23 PM
PF with 3.5 added just screams for Battle Blessing. I'd suspect also Practiced Spellcaster, but I'd need to review both lists for newly CL-appropriate spells (full-CL Divine Insight, Divine Favor and Dispels certainly wouldn't hurt though).

I'm not sure I follow the choice for Archon-blooded - what does Wisdom do for the character? I'd think Agathion-blooded would be more useful, and it's only 1 less point of intimidate (which is a really good idea for a build direction, if that's Archon's appeal - stacking fear effects on a charisma-based meleer is always a good thing).

I'm a little shaky on Pathfinder and am not totally confident about how the companion works off my head, but if it's like 3e, where you can get a big flying pouncing monster sharing your Rhino's Rush and Divine Favor spells, it's really nice to have a giant flying pouncing monster sharing your Rhino's Rush and Divine Favor spells.

And depending on how/whether Awesome smite is implemented, PF smite could make it very strong.

EDIT:
Usually wings are the best bet for a Dragonborn Aspect. The Breath weapon isn't awful and can open some unique control effects, but being 1/encounter and taking further investment to use well is pretty limiting in comparison.

Roguenewb
2012-08-23, 05:24 PM
Inquisitor can do a lot of Paladin flavor, while being a little more dedicated to being a divine gish as opposed to a slightly divine fighter. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/inquisitor

Never played or seen one played myself, but I hear only good things from those who have.

platinuprincess
2012-08-23, 05:30 PM
PF with 3.5 added just screams for Battle Blessing. I'd suspect also Practiced Spellcaster, but I'd need to review both lists for newly CL-appropriate spells (full-CL Divine Insight, Divine Favor and Dispels certainly wouldn't hurt though).

I'm not sure I follow the choice for Archon-blooded - what does Wisdom do for the character? I'd think Agathion-blooded would be more useful, and it's only 1 less point of intimidate (which is a really good idea for a build direction, if that's Archon's appeal - stacking fear effects on a charisma-based meleer is always a good thing).

I'm a little shaky on Pathfinder and am not totally confident about how the companion works off my head, but if it's like 3e, where you can get a big flying pouncing monster sharing your Rhino's Rush and Divine Favor spells, it's really nice to have a giant flying pouncing monster sharing your Rhino's Rush and Divine Favor spells.

And depending on how/whether Awesome smite is implemented, PF smite could make it very strong.

EDIT:
Usually wings are the best bet for a Dragonborn Aspect. The Breath weapon isn't awful and can open some unique control effects, but being 1/encounter and taking further investment to use well is pretty limiting in comparison.

I went for the Archon blooded because of the wisdom bonus to enhance my paladin spellcasting since I was already getting a bonus to cha from the draconic aspect. :)

Also a dragonborn can use her breath weapon once every 1d4 rounds. Not once every encounter.

Inquisitor can do a lot of Paladin flavor, while being a little more dedicated to being a divine gish as opposed to a slightly divine fighter. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/inquisitor

Never played or seen one played myself, but I hear only good things from those who have.

Ok thats something to look into but for now lets focus on paladin :) Plus my stats are not really geared toward long range weapons.

eggs
2012-08-23, 06:03 PM
I went for the Archon blooded because of the wisdom bonus to enhance my paladin spellcasting since I was already getting a bonus to cha from the draconic aspect. :)
Just a heads-up, Pathfinder consolidated all the Paladin's mental stat stuff onto Charisma.

On the breath weapon, I suppose it depends on how long you're prolonging combat, but when the recharge comes around, there's a very good chance the fight will be over.

platinuprincess
2012-08-23, 06:05 PM
Just a heads-up, Pathfinder consolidated all the Paladin's mental stat stuff onto Charisma.

Huh so they did I missed that X3

Alefiend
2012-08-23, 07:51 PM
Huh so they did I missed that X3

You learn something new every day, I suppose. I didn't notice all the class features and spellcasting were consolidated to Charisma either. :smallredface:

platinuprincess
2012-08-23, 08:03 PM
Alright so for paladin suggestions what feats would work well? Im going for a meat shield like build here. I want to be able to fight at the front lines and take a beating while being able to dish out decent damage.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-08-23, 08:12 PM
If you grab Serenity from Dragon Magazine Compendium, that converts all paladin cha-based stuff to wisdom. You can get it at level 3 at the earliest. Probably not worth it unless you really want to pump your will save, though, which can also be done through Steadfast Determination from the PHBII (although that requires Endurance).

I also say you should get Battle Blessing (Complete Champion). And just look for paladin spells in the Spell Compendium.

platinuprincess
2012-08-23, 08:21 PM
If you grab Serenity from Dragon Magazine Compendium, that converts all paladin cha-based stuff to wisdom. You can get it at level 3 at the earliest. Probably not worth it unless you really want to pump your will save, though, which can also be done through Steadfast Determination from the PHBII (although that requires Endurance).

I also say you should get Battle Blessing (Complete Champion). And just look for paladin spells in the Spell Compendium.

Battle Blessing? Hmmm I like it :3

eggs
2012-08-23, 09:20 PM
That doesn't change casting, so it puts the PF Paladin in the same position as the core 3e Paladin, but with one less feat and the abilities swapped

Hiro Protagonest
2012-08-23, 09:33 PM
That doesn't change casting, so it puts the PF Paladin in the same position as the core 3e Paladin, but with one less feat and the abilities swapped

Ah, I misremembered the wording as making it so all cha-based paladin abilities switched to wisdom.

Paul H
2012-08-24, 02:09 AM
Hiya

Best to keep all Paladin abilities to Cha

Few things to look out for:

1) New channel feats in Adv Race Guide/Blood of Angels

2) Gtr Mercy feats. You can heal extra D6 if you don't use Mercy with Lay on Hands. This is prereq for another Mercy feat that allows you to Raise Dead!

3) Hospitaler Archetype. You defer your extra Smite Evil ability at 4th lvl, but Gain Channel Energy instead. (This doesn't use your LoH ability, and you channel as a Cleric of your Pal Lvl -3).

4) Multiclassing:
a) Bard 1/Paladin4/Dragon Disciple
b) Paladin 4/Synthesist xxxxx (Though with your stats this build redundant).

Just ask if you want to see specific builds.

Thanks
Paul H