PDA

View Full Version : Perth II (IC)

SanguinePenguin
2012-08-23, 05:11 PM
PERTH II

Perth IC I (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186933)
Perth OOC I (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186845)

SanguinePenguin
2012-08-23, 05:15 PM
Chapter III - Fight The Powers That Be

Evin's information came with a name, Baxter Tallwine. Easy answers come from easy questions, so there is no difficulty in learning that Mr. Tallwine is the current head of the shipping guild along the River Perth and the western shore of the Shai. Although he does hold this temporary elected position, he is also the owner of several docks and warehouses in the Pit. The guild voices the concerns of the shipping operations and needs for the stevedores before the council. Nearly all forms of business in Perth fair better with such a unified representation. If Evin's source is trusted, then he may be the best avenue for one to start looking into the corruption of Commissioner Gault.

The party agrees to investigate the Pit's docks in the morning, so they part ways for the night. The morning comes among a dense canopy of clouds. Especially near the shore of the Perth, a light fog obscures the horizon, giving all a temporary visage of Vanalya's world. Every once in a while the damp fog transitions almost imperceptibly into a soft drizzle before switching back again.

The morning may be gloomy, but Perth is still alive with activity. However, with no ship coming imminently, the docks are not particularly active. The shipping guild is not closed, but while waiting for the others to arrive, no one enters or exits the building. Across the barren street from the guild office sits the harbor and several docks owned by Mr Tallwine. There are a handful of private guards patrolling the area. With no cargo to guard and no records onsite, they make their rounds with a vapid energy. Even with the guard presence, there is nothing that would prevent the party from looking around the docks or entering the guild offices.

Leviathan
2012-08-27, 07:50 PM
Another investigation begins, Augusta thinks to herself as she briskly walks towards the docks. I would have succeeded with the aid of my Lord, but it must be admitted, if only privately, that these other people have played their part most ably.

In a low voice, she murmurs to her companions through the concealing fog. "I wonder at our approach here. I have a thought that one of us might act the part of a merchant interested in the shipping guild's services, but wary of potential for being caught by the city guard. Eager for business, this Tallwine may spill some of his secrets."

Strawberries
2012-08-28, 03:41 AM
Evin walks towards the docks together with the others, carefully looking around for anything interesting as he considers Augusta's words. Strange, how his mind was working along similar tracks. "Not a bad idea, really." he says in an approving tone. "I was thinking more along the line of one of us pretending to be looking for work, but your idea can work, too." And it should say something about their respective personality, really, that Evin has tought about starting from the common people while Augusta aimed at the top "I have a certain experience in pretending to be someone I'm not, as you saw with the Sons... should I?"

Werewhale
2012-09-02, 12:28 PM
Alexander

"Either option sounds good to me. We could do both. Evin could go first, act the merchant, accompanied by someone acting as bodyguard, Beriadan and Sulet, for example," he suggests, looking over the group and picking the big armored orc and the crazy jumping reaper-guy, "Augusta, Vanalya, and I could go next, looking for some dirty work. I could handle the talking there if you prefer, I have some experience in that field," he adds, looking at the two. "That way, if either plan fails, the other may succeed, and two separate parties of three may be less suspicious than the six of us all together."

Ajadea
2012-09-02, 06:49 PM
Vanalya stands with her eyes fixed on nowhere in particular, expression blank and perfectly still. The mention of her name seems to bring her back to reality though. "Whatever we do, we should do it swiftly. Dawdling here will do nothing but draw attention. I agree with Alexander's plan, myself. Though perhaps Sulet could come with us. There's a lot to look into, and three pairs seems like the best way to remain safe while covering the maximum amount of ground." One bodyguard was probably enough for a shady merchant, and Sulet's eccentricities could be explained away more easily on the docks than in the guild.

Strawberries
2012-09-03, 02:46 AM
Evin nods. "I agree with Vanalya." he says Even if I have my doubts about the Asmodean impersonating a poor grunt looking for work.

"If you want me to do this, I have to get back to my place for half an hour, to get my...stage makeup on. I want to look the part, after all." He winks to the others "Even if, for what I've seen at the Three Rivers, our lady Augusta would probably fit the part better than me." Problem being, Augusta is still a part of the class Evin abandoned and may be recognized more easily. Whereas, he doubts Tallwine has ever had reason to see an anonymous street performer whose home is the slums.

Leviathan
2012-09-06, 04:56 PM
Augusta sniffs, but concurs. "Very well," she replies, looking crisply around. "While Evin does that I shall need some time to..." she looks around almost plaintively, as if honestly unsure,"... to wallow in mud, I suppose." She shakes her head, muttering. "Asmodeus knows, this is an indignity."

GoodbyeSoberDay
2012-09-06, 06:17 PM
"I'll take some time to look the part as well." He paces, practicing a scowl and an aimless stare.

SanguinePenguin
2012-09-06, 07:52 PM
With an idea in place, the group disperses. About an hour later, they reconvene at the site of the Shipping Guild. Despite the rain, the traffic on the road has picked up - a merchant hauling his cart of barrels and a handful of pedestrians pass by. Though far from an elegant structure, the recently constructed guild stands out among the several molding shanties along the shore of the dock area.

The first group enters through the heavy oak door of the guild into a large room full of tables and benches, but empty of people - save for the lone guard standing just inside the door. She does not react with more than a glance to the new visitors.

The floor is a bit dirty - especially nearest the entrance where mud and water have warped the floorboards. A large chalkboard on the right wall contains a table of boat names, dates and times, all written over a thick coat of erasure dust. A lone door sits closed at the back of the room. A heated discussion between three individuals transpires in the other room.

Though the door distorts the sounds, a mild female voice can be softly heard, "no, thats not-"
A harsh male voice interrupts in a demanding tone, "then where is it?"
A stern, yet high-pitched voice says, "We don't know."
"Then find it! Your warehouse, your people, your problem!"
"But we don't have the resources-"
"Your problem! You don't see a copper until I get that shipment."
"We mean manpower! We don't have people to look-"
"Well, then hire-" something like a angry growl is heard before the harsh voice adds, "fine! I'll run it by him and get back to you."

A door in the rear of the guild slams and everything is quiet.

A few moments later, the door on the other side of the hall opens and a silver elven woman in a clean drab gray blouse and black slacks appears. Upon seeing the newcomers, she turns her head and shouts, "Baxter! Someone is here!" Without further pause she continues, sparing the briefest friendly nod and smile before exiting through the door you entered.

Shortly, a small halfling, richly dressed in ostentation merchant's garbs of silks and jewels comes through the door. He assesses you with his eyes as he approaches. Apparently not overly displeased, he extends a hand in greeting, "Baxter Tallwine at your service. What brings you to the Shipping Guild this morning?"

Strawberries
2012-09-09, 04:43 AM
"Tallwine. It is my pleasure." During his brief visit home, Evin has made ample use of the stage makeup and clothes that he usually keeps there for his more... loaded performances. He has donned an outfit that screams "money", he has powdered his face in the latest style... but he has been careful to overdo it a bit. It would be the most natural thing to for him to look like a noble, born into priviledge and used to it, but he doesn't want to. It would be more useful for him to just look like a very wealthy individual... and the less clear is it where his supposed money come from, the better. And nothing says wealthy and possiby shady like a bit of tasteless jewlery and overabundant make-up.

"My name is Evin. Evin Hastyngs." Better keep as close as the truth as possible, and it has the double advantage of preventing possible slips of the tongue in the future. Still, he certainly can't use "Faolan" as a surname, so he chooses one that is purposefully neutral. He's supposed to be a merchant, after all. "I've been told you're the man to go to to talk about business here in the docks, yes?" The inflection is controlled, too. Not the slums lingo that has been second-nature for him for so long, and not even the cultured parlance that is his natural way of speaking, but something in-between. Like someone that's trying too hard to go for refined.

Using one conviction to roll twice [roll0] and [roll1] (extra +2 due to the use of the disguise kit)

SanguinePenguin
2012-09-09, 09:58 AM
"You have been told correctly, Master Hastyngs," Tallwine says excitedly. "Whether you want to get products here from the mines, Deigt or Grimnideln to here or ship from here toward Kiirnodel or Liastascia, our long boats have you covered. There is no quicker way short of hiring a wizard! We do mostly freight, but occasionally take passengers. All shipments are guarded quite well by the best in the business." He smile eagerly.

Ajadea
2012-09-09, 07:12 PM
A short distance from the Shipping Guild, Vanalya wanders the docks, searching for anything that could be a sign, any cargo or ships. The fact she finds nothing does not dissuade her in the least. Water trickles down her face and plasters her muddied clothes to her skin. With that and her somewhat ill-fitting leathers, she looks more like one of the dock kids than a healer and adventurer, which is exactly what her goal had been. She makes no move to protect herself from the rain. Her eyes are half-closed, and she doesn't notice the sound of the wagon. She is thinking. They need a place to start, after all.

Since we're supposed to be doing this in pairs, I'll just stall a bit.

[roll0]
[roll1] Anything related to Commissioner Gault and the Shipping Guild.
...REALLY?

(Subtract 3 if Lore Keeper + Focused Trance isn't allowed)

Strawberries
2012-09-12, 04:23 PM
"A shipment, yes. A cargo that should be delievered here, all the way from Dolwood." Evin makes sure to make a somewhat exaggerated smirk. He could be a lot more subtle, of course, but 'Hastyngs', as he envisions him in his mind, isn't supposed to be. The heavy-handedness is a part of the jumped-up boor he's imagining the man being.

"It's a quite precious cargo, Master Tallwine", again, putting more emphasis than needed on the word 'precious'. Evin studies the man's reaction carefully. "And a quite confidential matter, as well. Is this place private enough?"

Hmmm.... is it the time for Bluff yet?
[roll0]
also [roll1] (just to get a feel for Tallwine)

SanguinePenguin
2012-09-12, 07:54 PM
The halfling listens eagerly at first, but his expression changes when you mention "precious" cargo. "Oh... um, well," the man falters nervously a bit, "you see, shipments from Dolwood.. um, well... it's quite difficult. We generally don't receive any longships from there. You... uh, have to sail against the current of the Perth for a bit, you see. We have in the past, but it is not..." he wipes some nascent sweat from his brow.

He collects himself before saying curtly, "I am most sorry, Master Hastyngs, but, no, I don't think we can help you with your cargo. I recommend trying the Kattatrall Shipping Company. They tend to treat cargo from Dolwood."

EvinHe is clearly skirting his real issue with pursuing the contract.

Leviathan
2012-09-16, 10:35 PM
Augusta stands idly against a post outside, grinding her teeth in what she hopes is a mercenary fashion and trying not to purse her lips in boredom. She has removed some of the more ornate embellishments from her armour and mussed, mussed up her black hair, and worked up a sweat to produce the necessary uncleanliness. She hopes that everything is going well inside with Evin. Every so often, she casts an eye towards the Guild office, making sure that nothing is amiss.

Strawberries
2012-09-17, 04:50 PM
"That's a real shame" Evin replies "You come highly recommended, and the Kattatrall… doesn’t. Especially when it comes to deal with bureaucracy. " Again, he puts a bit too much emphasis on the last word.

He makes a small pause, and a smile "Why don't we discuss this over a drink? I'm sure we could come to an arrangement of some sort. We're both businessmen, after all, aren't we?". There. Subtle like a load of bricks. I hope I'm not overdoing it.

SanguinePenguin
2012-09-18, 07:26 PM
Baxter's lips purse for a long moment in hesitation before he finally breathes out and says, "very well. I'll hear you out, but I won't make any promises. Come into my office, Master Hastyngs," the halfling motions for the "merchant" and his guards to follow him into the back room.

His back room is a scattered mess of loose manifests, writing implements, ink bottles, ledgers - old and new, and a few personal trinkets. The room also contains six chairs, a heavy oak desk, a large ebony chest with a padlock and a much smaller metal lockbox. Baxter locks the door behind him with a key, and then snaps the padlock over the latch of the door in the rear of the room. As he takes a seat in the one of the chairs he motions for everyone to sit. He then says directly, "I am not sure I can help you, Master Hastyngs. For one or two shipments... perhaps... but I cannot afford to move..." he searches for the words for a moment, "a contract calling for discretion... through my docks repeatedly."

Strawberries
2012-09-23, 02:09 AM
Evin smirks to himself as he looks around for a place to get seated "My friend, I know we can reach an agreement. One shipment, at the moment, would be a good start. A 'foot in the door', as they call it, yes?" Another slightly unctuous smile - the insincere kind a merchant would give to a potential partner "Anyway, I think you're underselling yourself, my friend. I was assured you were the right person for the job. "

SanguinePenguin
2012-09-25, 06:51 PM
"Very well," Baxter pauses for a long moment. He then speaks with a very forceful intonation, "before we discuss specifics, I need two things to be perfectly clear: I am not committing to more than one shipment for you; our dealings will end on my terms and at my whim - we can discuss things further, but any hostile action against me, my family, my dock, my employees or the guild will end very badly for you. Do you understand me?"

Strawberries
2012-09-26, 04:36 PM
Evin laughs "There's no need of threats, my friend." he says. "I've come here for the profit, not to make enemies. One shipment is enough, at the moment, and then you may decide if you still want to do business with me." His tone implies that he can't see how the halfling could decline the opportunity. "At terms you find agreeable, of course." He holds his hand out for the halfling to shake

Sense motive (applying sing bonus for versatile performance) [roll0]

SanguinePenguin
2012-09-27, 11:46 PM
Baxter smiles and says, "of course. Once burned and all that..." he makes a dismissive wave with his hand, clearly wanting to not linger on the topic. "I can ensure that your goods get from the boat to a warehouse unmolested. After that, it is up to your people to transport them out of the warehouse. I just need some details . . . what are you trying to move? Or, if you prefer secrecy, how large is it and what will it be transported in? Do you have your own boat or will you need to get the goods onto another shipment?"

Evin
He has relaxed considerably. It seems that he just wants to get the deal underway.

------------------------------------------

Outside the shipping guild, the rain has picked up a bit, despite that the sun is now shining. Two burly men - a scarred wood elf and a gruff human - stop in front of the docks, clearly waiting for something. They chat idly with one another. From the scattered words passing through the muffler of rain, it is clear that they are waiting for a longship to come down river.

Strawberries
2012-09-30, 04:13 PM
"Oh, nothing TOO big, a couple of crates, that's all." Evin simulates with his hands the size of a medium container. "As for what it is... he laughs "Why, happiness, my friend, of course. Happiness from Dolwood. I trust that won't be a problem?"

SanguinePenguin
2012-10-01, 10:42 PM
"Ah, I see... well, we should be able to work out the details. I can ensure that your product will go from a dock in Dolshire to a warehouse in Perth. From the time your people hand the crates to my contact in Dolshire, it will take about three days until the crates are ready to vanish from the warehouse," he smiles slyly, fiddling with the rings on his fingers. "The fee for what you describe would be fifty gold per crate - assuming the size you cite is correct. For, well... complicated reasons, I couldn't move more than four crates with this shipment."

----------------------------------------------------------------

Three more men and one woman arrive in front of the dock to join the other two men. They all stand about patiently in the rain.

Ajadea
2012-10-02, 10:27 AM
Vanalya pauses her fruitless patrol at the sound of voices. She lets their conversation lead her to them, noting what they're waiting for in the back of her mind. Five men and a woman. "'scuse me, are you looking for something?"

SanguinePenguin
2012-10-02, 11:01 PM
One of the men, a wood elf, turns his head to assess Vanalya for a moment. After a few short seconds, he turns toward her, snorts a laugh, and says, "a day's pay, miss. That's what I'm looking for."

Another man interjects with a grin, "I'm looking for a year's pay... but I think I might have went to the wrong place." A few of the group chuckle.

The lone woman, a rather burly human female, decides to clarify, "some longships from the mines is coming in a bit. Our names is on the list to move this cargo. If we doesn't show, we doesn't get paid."

Leviathan
2012-10-02, 11:56 PM
Augusta senses an opportunity. She strides boldly out to join the dock workers. If they care only for coin, this should prove a simple matter.

"Tell me," she says, not bothering with an introduction; "do you know what it is that the cargo holds? Or to whom it belongs?" While she talks, Augusta's hand slips to her satin coin purse, jangling it noticeably.

Diplomacy if necessary: [roll0]

SanguinePenguin
2012-10-06, 08:55 PM
The grinning man hears the jangle of coins and takes the bait immediately, "The dock is Tallwine's, the cargo is ore - iron I believe. It's owned by Goodbarrel mining in this case, the boats are too," he holds out his hand expectantly.

Strawberries
2012-10-21, 03:07 AM
"Fifty golds per crate, four crates with the delievery" Evin raises his eyes for a moment, like he's doing some sort of quick calculation in his mind. "That could be acceptable. I will need a bit of time to arrange the matter, of course." He launches a quick look to Beriadan. We'll think of something..

"But tell me, do you guarantee that I won't be bothered by... trivial problems, once the cargo is delievered here? I won't even begin to list you the bothers I have to go through, every time I want to ship something to these docks."

SanguinePenguin
2012-10-22, 05:42 PM
Tallwine smiles, "of course, such bothers will certainly not arise for this shipment. Though, I implore you, do not boast about this avenue of delivery. If such words fall on the wrong ears... well, that would be quite a bother for us both, now wouldn't it."

Baxter extends his hand for an agreement, "one shipment, once you have the finances in my hand and a delivery date to Dolshire, I can provide the details of the drop-off and pick-up points."

Leviathan
2012-10-23, 08:39 AM
Augusta drops a gold coin into the man's hand with a nod. "Good, but that was a simple question. I could have five times that for all of you if you can tell me whether any cargo comes through here in an unusual manner – late at night, or without inspection. Or perhaps you have merely heard of such an arrangement occurring elsewhere?"

SanguinePenguin
2012-10-24, 12:48 AM
The man pockets the gold, but neither he, nor his five coworkers jump at the promise of coin. Most look confused, though it is clear enough they are racking their minds for any tidbit of information that would earn them a huge payout.

Finally, the man who spoke before breaks the silence. "Alright, thirty gold for me and I'll tell you-"

"Talg... it's not worth it," his wood elf friend interjects. The others simply look confused.

"I'll be alright," he says dismissively. "Besides, I might as well get me that year's pay," he adds with a grin, before turning back to Augusta, "that sound fair?"

Leviathan
2012-10-24, 01:01 AM
Augusta mulls it over for a moment. "Very well," she says decisively. "The rest of you, leave us." She motions for the other dockworkers to move out of hearing range, before she counts out the coins. This is a very low course of action, she thinks to herself; it is far from what I would have thought myself doing. But my Lord demands justice, and this is the path.

"Please," she says with a slight smile and a nod at the man, Taig. "Go on." Courtesy never hurts.

She'll pay him the gold and roll a sense motive vs whatever he says.

[roll0]

Strawberries
2012-10-24, 03:28 PM
"My friend, I would be a poor businessman if I didn't know how to keep my secrets. Rest assured, I won't boast." Evin reaches out and shakes the halfling's hand with his best unctuous smile "We should celebrate our partnership somehow, my friend. What do you say, a glass of wine?" If Evin didn't completely misjudge the man, he is the type to clam up at a direct question. But if I can get him to relax...

SanguinePenguin
2012-10-27, 01:00 AM
The man sighs a bit, then says to Augusta, "one of the stevedores - an old friend of mine, so you won't get his name - occasionally gets called to the dock. He gets paid a whole lot more each shipment, but he is supposed to keep quiet. He said he got into this because his brother was briefly courting Veris Hurntal, daughter of Brast Hurntal - who's some big shot merchant that bought himself noble lineage… or so I've heard. So, my friend's loose acquaintance with the Hurntals was enough for them to offer to pay him a lot more each shipment for discretion. When it first started we were still close - he never talked about it much, said he didn't think it was safe for either of us…" the man refocuses, "anyway, last we talked about it, he said he doesn't know what is being shipped in, but the guards that are there don't inspect anything like they usually do - so, it is pretty obviously contraband. He said that Brast's son is always around for those shipments. That's all I know."

--------------------------------------

Baxter clasps his hands together, "but of course, where are my manners! I have a plum wine here..." within a few moments a small glass of wine is in Evin's hand and also Baxter's. The halfling raises his glass, "to a healthy business future!"

Strawberries
2012-11-12, 04:14 PM
"To a healthy business future... and to good business partners." Evin says with a grin and a wink. "Connections, my friend, are the most important part of the business, aren't they?"

SanguinePenguin
2012-11-15, 08:58 PM
"Yes, of course! To our business!" Baxter raises his glass to a toast.

After a few minutes of idle banter, Baxter proclaims, "I am afraid I have more business to tend to. Please excuse me!" He motions to the door.

SanguinePenguin
2012-11-16, 07:28 PM
Talg, the man Augusta spoke with, nods graciously for the coins. He places one in the hand of each of his coworkers and asserts, "I wasn't here and I said nothing to nobody!" He embraces the wood elf briefly before walking away from the docks. Baring the wood elf, who looks concerned, the others seem quite excited to have acquired a free gold without lifting a finger.

Soon after, a empty cart drawn by four horses pulls up to the dock. At the reins sits a silver elven woman in a clean drab gray blouse and black slacks. Several of the private guards in the area, as well as a member of the city watch, coalesce to the cart as it pulls up. The woman thumbs through a ledger in her lap before conducting what it clearly bookkeeping complete with signatures.

Evin and Beriadan emerge from the door to the guild. They immediately recognize the woman on the cart as they one they passed earlier when they entered the guild.

The others are now far enough away from her that she isn't going to notice Evin or Beriadan talking to them. So no need to worry about that.

Ajadea
2012-11-21, 05:00 PM
Augusta is much more imposing than a small ragged girl, and the promise of coin far more engaging. So it is not hard for Vanalya to take only a few short steps away and still functionally disappear into the morning fog. She listens to the man's tale in silence. Hurntal's goods, Tallwine's ships, the Commissioner's blind eye, and coin to spare. The picture was clear enough. Now they just needed to find this contraband, which meant finding Brast Hurntal's son. Whoever that was.

She listens to the clack of cart wheels turning, and the sound of the gathering group. The muffled thuds of good working boots. Clanking sounds when guards moved too eagerly. A horse neighs softly. She heads toward the sound until she can see what's going on, or at least part of it. Paper. Signatures, maybe? Bookkeeping. What did guards have to do with that? She sticks around, and listens.

Let's put that armor to use, shall we?

[roll0] Please don't kill me for eavesdropping, ma'am.
[roll1] What are they doing?

SanguinePenguin
2012-11-24, 12:04 AM
Hiding in plain sight, Vanalya walks by the event transpiring. She passes close enough to get a glance at the page. No one pays her any mind.

The ledger concerns the arrival of the next boat. All dock employees who are present sign. Aside from a very brief question concerning the whereabouts of the missing stevedore, Talg, (which went unanswered), everything seems very by the books.

A few moments later the longship arrives. The woman gets further signatures from the boatmen. The stevedores begin unloading cargo into the cart and the guardsman inspects each box for the goods - all of which is ore.

While the intricacies of the exchange aren't well known to her, one thing is very clear: illegal activity may happen on this this dock, but this is not it.

Strawberries
2012-11-24, 06:25 AM
Evin approaches the others (Vanalya excluded), a bit of a self-satisfied expression on his face "It looks like 'Master Hastyngs' has closed a nice deal, today" he says."Have you managed to find out anything?"

SanguinePenguin
2012-12-25, 02:18 PM
Alexander turns to the disguised Evin, "we found out there is definitely something going on here." Motioning to the cart and the docks, he adds, "but whatever it is, I'm pretty sure this isn't it. All of this looks by the books - legit. A shipment where something different happens, that's what to watch for. How was your meeting?"

Ajadea
2012-12-25, 08:03 PM
Vanalya watches the ore come in for a short time, but it soon becomes clear that this is the normal activity of the dock, and she returns to the group shortly after Evin. "Well, Augusta and I had some more luck in that regard," she says, sweeping a strand of wet hair out of her face. "Brast Hurntal's son comes by here every so often to check on the shipments, and the guards tend to have better things to do than check on the dealings of a rich merchant's son."

Strawberries
2012-12-26, 06:30 AM
"Brast Hurntal" Evin says, thoughtfully. Now, have I heard about him before?

"Well... my dealings went well. I just arranged a delievery of four crates of...questionable merchandise from Dolshire. The exteemed Master Baxter has give me his assurance that I won't be bothered with such trivial matters as guards inspecting my cargo." He smiles. He still has that sort of expression on his face that can be only interpreted as 'Yes, I am that good'. "I left details as time and place vague enough that we can come up with some way to take advantage of it."

[roll0] Does he know something about Brast Hurntal?

SanguinePenguin
2012-12-26, 10:36 PM
Evin: Evin has heard of the name Hurntal, but he doesn't really know any details other than that the family is new nobility. (I switched this to know: nobility)

SanguinePenguin
2012-12-30, 04:02 PM
Alexander grins broadly - the smile bordering on sinister, "well then, we need to figure out which docks are receiving illicit shipments and just how often. It will take me a few days, but I can watch for this."

"Too many of us around might arouse suspicion." Seeming to sense some concern, he adds, "I'll be fine, just some spying from a distance. Goodbarrel said he might have some work - I couldn't find any dirt on him, so seeing what he has to say might be a good idea."

DM OOC: I think I came up with an idea for how rekindle the flame this game once had. I will have Alexander stay back and collect some information for you, the rest of you can do another task for a bit - one that will prove a little more face-paced with a clearer direction. I apologize if anyone feels too railroaded.

Leviathan
2013-01-01, 03:51 PM
Augusta speaks with a nod of her head. "A prudent enough course of action. I should think that we may afterwards wish to pay Brast Hurntal or his son a visit and get to the heart of the matter. Though unlike these workers, they may prove more resistant to giving up what they know." The brief smile she flashes says that this may not be a problem for her.

Strawberries
2013-01-02, 03:26 AM
"There are ways around that, I'm sure." Evin answers Augusta. His tone seems to imply that, whatever those ways are, he's sure that they're very different from what Augusta is thinking. "And... I suppose we could go and at least see what Goodbarrel wants from us."

Ajadea
2013-01-02, 04:14 AM
Vanalya presses her lips together for a moment. "If we're going to meet with nobles, I would appreciate the opportunity to clean up beforehand." She runs a hand through her tangled hair as she speaks. "Or at least dry off a little." Her hand comes away wet, and she dries it off on her only slightly damp pants. She preferred skirts, but given the circumstances, the loss of modesty seemed rather inconsequential. "We might want to see if we can find out anything about Brast Hurntal and his kin before we confront him directly."

SanguinePenguin
2013-01-03, 05:57 PM
Alexander departs to get some things, leaving the rest of the party to head to see Thaddeus Goodbarrel at his company's headquarters in the heart of the Pit. Quick use of the river removes most of the grime from earlier disguises. As Goodbarrel is liable to be working and seeing visitors hailing the gamut from the nobility to the foundry, a bit of grime wouldn't come across as too unseemly.

The walk to the district center takes under fifteen minutes. In the center of the Pit's square is a well-crafted circular sculpture depicting three individuals facing away from the center: a regal-looking, well-armored dwarf holding a thick, sturdy warhammer; a figure with an effeminate chin poking out from underneath a hooded, robe-like dress with an hourglass delicately held between thin, unadorned female hands; and a tastefully-dressed, young, beautiful human woman with hair falling to her ankles and a nightingale resting on a finger. The statue is of the deities with temples in the Pit dedicated to their worship.

The double doors into offices of the Goodbarrel Mining Company open easily, although the handle is strangely low to the ground - as a halfling founded enterprise it caters to masters. The moderately-sized room within houses many waiting chairs along the walls (some occupied), a second set of double doors graces the wall opposite to the entrance. A polite, chipper, young woman approaches you immediately, "what brings you folk to Goodbarrel Mining today?"

Strawberries
2013-01-05, 05:07 PM
Evin has removed the make-up and changed clothes, looking once again as the combat-capable street performer that he is. A relief, really- the stupid powder the nobles and merchants are so fond of lately is damn itchy.

"We're here to see see Thaddeus Goodbarrel" he answers. "My understanding is that he's got a proposition for us."

SanguinePenguin
2013-01-05, 10:48 PM
The woman looks down at a ledger in her hands for a moment, an expression of confusion crossing her face, "I'm sorry, I don'-"

"It's okay, I think I know who these folk might be," she is interrupted by a well-dressed male halfling, who just came through the main doors. He continues, "you were the ones who... found Petror... again, right?" The expressions seem enough to resolve his query, for he continues, "I'm Tad's second cousin, Baltho. I'll go tell him your here, I'm sure he'll make room for you." He nods to the woman and heads through the double doors.

The woman smiles bitterly at you as Baltho leaves, poorly suppressing her ire at having been outranked. Baltho returns a minute later, "I'm sorry, apparently Tad's extremely busy-"

A third man bursts through the double doors and proclaims, "Thaddeus shall see you now, please follow me," to Baltho he adds, "he changed his mind."

The man leads the way through the double doors, then through a hallway with many doors, finally opening one at the end. Inside the room, Thaddeus turns at the entrance. He is comfortably dressed and seems a little skittish. A tall human, rather dirty with a cloak and a thick unkempt stubble growing on his face glances appraisingly.

Tad immediately begins to speak, his tone bordering on frantic, "ah! Thank you so much for coming - your timing couldn't possibly be better. Leave us, please," he motions to the manservant who quickly departs. Tad continues (after giving a very brief, quizzical glance to Augusta), "this is Draskil, he's an excellent scout and one of my employees. Please... tell these people what you found."

Draskil tries to collect himself with some facial contortions before he relays his tale, "well, me and two other scouts - we work in teams of three - we found a cave in the mountains. In this cave, we saw a whitish vein of metal, observable through the entrance. The light just happened to hit it at that time of day - it was from a distance with a spyglass, but we know what we saw. We headed there to figure out exactly what the ore was, but..." here his relaxed poise falters as he takes a deep breath, "as soon as we entered, we were attacked from the darkness. Danvar and Tiala were cut down, I never even saw what happened. It was nearly instant - screams... then silence. I fled - I can fight, but what could slaughter them in seconds," he shakes his head and sighs, "I'm no fool. So, I fled, found another group of scouts who helped me out and I came back here immediately."

"That other patrol was from Grimnedeln. They know the ore exists, but they don't know precisely where. We must secure that cave. We must. If that is a large vein of silver - or, gods willing, platinum - all of Perth will benefit. We've suffered lately... between all the companies, several mines have run out, but this... this could be... big." Tad stands taller for a moment as he says authoritatively, "I implore you to go to this cave with Draskil and secure it from whatever horror is living within. I'll be sending a larger force as soon as I can, but that may take many days to muster - time we don't have... can you do this?"

GoodbyeSoberDay
2013-01-06, 03:19 PM
Beriadan fidgets in his armor, more comfortable in this noble setting, but only relatively so. He has a difficult time listening to Goodbarrel's offer, as his thoughts again drift to Alexander, and that gods-damned torturer. A part of him wanted to march over to the prison, find Drax and... hatch evil schemes that would end very poorly for a young fallen paladin. Once again he shoos these thoughts away. None of that.

The high orc snaps to attention just as Goodbarrel finishes his plea. Nodding his head downward slightly, he says "Should we wrest this cave from some terrible monster, I understand how we here will benefit. Pardon my curiosity, m'lord, but I wonder how the mine's new ownership intends on extending the benefits of this boon to Perth."

SanguinePenguin
2013-01-06, 05:47 PM
Goodbarrel looks a bit surprised at the question, "why the thing.. the main thing that is... that this city needs are more jobs, of course. Fesstrall has many potential workers - often skilled workers - living on the streets. They are in need of employment. These are workers I cannot hire unless I have positions for them to fill. Many of them are workers I had to lay off when my silver mine dried up. Even if this is just a small silver vein, that will be dozens of jobs for many months; dozens of families that will be in no danger of starving; dozens of families who can live comfortably again."

"Or perhaps you mean something further. Dorin told me that shortly after I left several of you tried to return your payment to him. If remuneration doesn't mean much to you, then perhaps you can think of some other way for me to reward you for such a service? I'm open to your suggestions."

OOC: Since I'm sure nobody remembers this, Fesstrall = the Pit.

Leviathan
2013-01-06, 06:29 PM
"Yes," Augusta says with a smirk, "I'm sure that the honourable Thaddeus Goodbarrel is terribly concerned with the needs of the commons, especially when they happen to involve their mining silver for... mutual gain." She laughs. "Still, I suppose there are jobs more horrible than clearing out a cave. Working in a silver mine, for one. Besides, surely it is a noble errand to slay the monsters within lest they grow hungry and emerge to devour some peasants." The noblewoman grins. "I say, we have reason enough to accept the job. Let us not dither about with talk of the precise benefits to be had for all."

SanguinePenguin
2013-01-06, 10:27 PM
Goodbarrel, rather startled and clearly taken aback, glares at Augusta, "I resent your implication! Even as I offer you work, you make a brash insult to my integrity! Believe it or not, I am concerned. I, and my father before me, have made great efforts to meet the needs of my workers - even when they had to leave my employ. I do not have a massive cushion of wealth precisely because I have put so much of it back into Fesstrall and the people who work-"

He stops, breathes deeply, collects himself and says curtly, "I have more important things to do than defend myself to you. Take the job or leave it."

GoodbyeSoberDay
2013-01-06, 11:30 PM
Beriadan glares at Augusta, then turns back to Goodbarrel. "I assure you, the lady speaks for herself, especially in cases like this." Somehow Evin seems subtle when taking his jabs at the group's noble employers. "She did help us remove the Second Sons from Perth, however, so we excuse some of her rudeness. I for one am satisfied with your explanation; I can see now the silver will be put to good use, and whatever remuneration we receive shall be spent for Perth's benefit as well."

Ajadea
2013-01-07, 01:08 AM
Vanalya doesn't quite suppress her cringe at Augusta's words. She remembers, briefly, that they had other things to investigate as well. But this was, she supposed, more or less equally important, and the opportunity was far more fleeting. It wasn't too far away, certainly. And some part of her wanted to see the dread creature for itself. "I do not know what the others want to do, but I will do my best to deal with whatever lies in that cave." A second later, she bites her lip and realizes she'll have to give some warning - at the very least to her family. That was going to be interesting. but with this and the rest of her earnings, she could probably shortly, if not already, afford to move them to a better place. If her father didn't throw a fit that his only daughter was providing more for them than he was. And that seemed like a distinct possibility.

Strawberries
2013-01-07, 06:35 PM
Evin scoffs lightly, observing the altercation between Augusta and Goodbarrel. Yeah, and if I didn't know you are way worse than him, I would almost have been tempted to assist you in harrassing him... just for the fun of it. As it stands, Evin sees no point in provoking Goodbarrel further... especially because, he's not exactly wrong about more jobs being a good thing for the city. The bard, for once, opts to keep his mouth shut.

SanguinePenguin
2013-01-07, 10:07 PM
Beriadan's reply seems to placate the halfling. "Well, if she helped deal with that vile gang..." He trails off and doesn't continue for a long moment. "Excellent! Well... Draskil can procure some draft horses for the journey - ours are in the western stables, Farrin will give them to you - Oh! I just remembered a conversation with Dorin... Lord Eyadin told me that he needed some work done near the mines. I believe it was something about escorting a long boat back to Perth. Bandits or something? I would be remiss if I didn't suggest you stop by to see him before heading out. I'm certain he knows the details... Down river, the long boats are much faster than draft horses - more relaxing too, so it could also hasten your return as well."

SanguinePenguin
2013-01-08, 02:04 PM
With no further question, Goodbarrel clasps his hands and proclaims, "you have my gratitude for doing this. I bid you farewell and best of luck."

Once on the street outside of the offices, Draskil says, "alright, it will take about three days to get to the cave. There are some hovels on the road for shelter if weather turns foul. The roads are pretty safe until the mountains, so we shouldn't run into trouble. This cave is about two or three hours from the harbor. Then it would be about two days back if you decide to a long boat - otherwise it would be about three more days on horseback. I need to take care of a few things - procuring feed and all that... let's meet at the stables by the west gate in two hours."

Alright, if you want to go see Eyadin, let me know. If you want to grab things from your home, let me know. If you want to purchase any things, let me know.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2013-01-08, 03:59 PM
Beriadan seems to stare into the distance as he speaks; in truth he's avoiding making any pointed gazes. "I'm going to see Lord Eyadin about his issues with river banditry, then go acquire some trail rations. If anyone needs make more thorough preparations, now would be the time; we'll meet up with Draskil in two hours."

Strawberries
2013-01-08, 04:27 PM
Evin considers for a moment. He doesn't have anything particularly relevant to do. "You want company, paladin?"

Leviathan
2013-01-08, 10:03 PM
"I think that I shall return to my home and make my preparations to leave. Beriadan, please do keep me appraised of what it is Lord Eyadin wants." She bows to Thaddeus. "Master Goodbarrel."

--------------

Returning to the Hendargren manor, Augusta sets her face in a stoney glower as she enters. My Lord Father is doubtlessly around here somewhere, but I have no desire to see him. Margarte shall take care of him, she concludes with a sniff as she paces through the dark manorhouse.

Climbing a staircase, Augusta comes to a dark wood closet and draws out a key. She places it in the lock and gives it a twist. The doors creak open, and she squints at the black interior. Inside is a long blade, its hilt blackened steel, embossed with the Hendargren family crest. Augusta takes a long look at it, almost a scowl, really. My father's sword. She reaches out, seizes the sword's handle with a firm grip, and draws it out. I demand a real weapon, and by Asmodeus, I shall not let my family name be ground into the dirt...

So basically this is a lengthy way of saying that I'm buying Augusta a masterwork bastard sword, if that's alright. :smalltongue: I thought this was a better way of doing things than just going to a blacksmith, but I've taken the money off my character sheet as if I'd purchased it.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2013-01-09, 01:04 AM
"Certainly. Let's continue."

SanguinePenguin
2013-01-09, 03:57 PM
Evin and Beriadan lead the way to Eyadin's manor atop the Hill overlooking Perth. As you approach the gate, you note that only one of the twin high orc's is present, he says, "ah, the heroes. Lord Eyadin is taking visitors in his gardens... he is over there. You may see him now." He adds pointing to a where the half fire-elf, the other high orc and Dorin's armored bodyguard, Prau, are standing in the distance.

Eyadin smiles congenially as he notices your approach. The high orc twin looks the dignified butler - barely noticeable, yet close enough to attend to any matter. Prau just looks bored. "Good day to you. I trust your dinner was pleasant. I, for one, was pleased to find the establishment is still there," he jests with a smirk. "What brings you by today?"

After summarizing what Goodbarrel said, Lord Eyadin says, "ah, yes! There have been some bandit raids on the longships. My man, Pareid, has noticed a pattern though. Here he is now."

As if summoned, Kastall Pareid, the mustachioed man with the flashy hat appears behind you and puts two pieces of paper in your hands. He tells you, "the short list are the longships the pattern predicts might be attacked on their journey. The sealed letter will guarantee your passage on one of those trips." Eerily, it seems as if he knows every detail of the discussion you just had.

Dorin nods and says, "thank you, Kastall. Solely for taking the longship back, I will give you each ten gold for the trouble. If you encounter resistance and can bring back at least one of these bandits in alive for questioning - more survivors are of course encouraged, I will give you each an additional sixty gold apiece. Does this sound fair to you?"

Leviathan: I love the "purchase" of the sword! Great post

GoodbyeSoberDay
2013-01-09, 07:18 PM
"I trust that these bandits, if encountered and captured, will be treated with the full respect and civility lawfully granted to the accused in our fair city?" Beriadan expects an eye roll from Evin on the subject of respect under the law, but he focuses his attention on Lord Eyadin.

I'm going to sense motive whatever Eyadin says.
[roll0]

Strawberries
2013-01-09, 07:25 PM
Perhaps prevedibly, the bard can't help but react at Beriadan's last words. "Oh, I'm sure our excellent legal system is fully equipped to deal with them fairly and swiftly" he says, with a completely straight face: if somebody didn't knew Evin, they could assume that he was being entirely serious.

SanguinePenguin
2013-01-09, 07:56 PM
Without hesitation, Eyadin answers, "we intend to use magical compulsion to gain information from the captured. Perthian citizens are being injured - two have been killed - and Perthian resources are being lost at the hands of these bandits. We want information - why they attack us, foremost, where they are encamped, how many, et cetera. All of this will be invaluable to restoring safe shipping routes for law biding Perthian citizens. After this essential information is gleaned, the prisoners will be jailed and judged as per the dictates of our legal system."

He doesn't seem to be lying.

Ajadea
2013-01-09, 10:21 PM
Vanalya nods. "That works." The west gate... not a place she had occasion to visit often. Thankfully, gates did not tend to be difficult to find. She heads home. With a little bit of luck, she could avoid her father, explain to her grandmother and Idris, and be on her way.

She's never had any motivation to study things that lived underground, having not been anywhere farther underground than a cellar in her life. Right now, she was regretting that. She didn't know what was down there, what could be expected, what might have killed those people. She doesn't know. Her thoughts narrow down to a fraction, a sliver, what is down there, and she nearly trips over a cobblestone. But she does not fall, thankfully.

She could die down there... in which case, it was probably a good idea to tell her family exactly what she would be leaving them. Without even looking, she lifts the latch and opens the door. She grabs a flask off the crammed shelf in her room full of cheap alchemy equipment and herbs, and slides it into her backpack. She leaves the hangover remedies. They weren't likely to be useful on the trip. Abandoning the five small vials seems to take a much greater weight off her shoulders.

Vanalya inhales the scent of herbs and dust. With a sense of grave finality, she removes the eighty platinum pieces from their hiding place between the folded bedrolls. The small bag is very heavy in her hand. Slowly, she lets a breath escape her lips and locks the door behind her. Without hesitation, she goes to her grandmother. "Grandma, I'm leaving for Grimnedeln. Not for long, hopefully. I wanted to keep this. Save it. To help people, as many as I could. But... if something happens... I need you to have this." She places the bag of coins down on the rickety table next to her grandmother. It doesn't go thunk, but it feels like it should. "It's everything I've earned so far, for helping the city. That's not silver either, and don't let anyone tell you it is. Every one of those coins is platinum, Grandma. I know it will help." She stands tall as her height allows in Tarsa's dark leathers and thinks she couldn't have done this before.

80 pp at home - should have been there already, she's just going to bring it to her grandmother's attention.
Grabbing glowing marker dye, leaving Alchemist's Kindness.
Leaving the key to her alchemy things as well.
I think this might cue some NPC interaction.

Focused Trance [roll0]. Rumors, myths, legends, stories, anything about creatures in the dark places around Grimnedeln.
Focused Trance [roll1] What sort of beasts live in caves and kill people?
Focused Trance [roll2] What sorts of magical creatures live in caves and kill people?

No such thing as too much information.

SanguinePenguin
2013-01-10, 08:05 PM
Vanalya's Grandmother stirs and croons in her raspy voice, "platinum!? What have you been doing to earn platinum, girl? And now you're off to Grimnedeln? Careful while there, dearie, most of the fire elf merchants are swindlers. Poor folk have never recovered since the war." Her fingers find there way into the bag of coins feeling for the amount. "You're right that isn't silver. My my... this is a king's ransom! ... you haven't been doing anything... unscrupulous, have you?"

Ajadea
2013-01-10, 10:18 PM
Killing monsters and taking their stuff leaps unbidden into her mind - one of the cruder summaries of an adventurer's job she's heard. Though given that it was Miarei who'd said that, tact wasn't on the list of things to expect. "No, Grandmother, but other people have," she responds cautiously. "There is - was - a gang. Killing people, killing their own brothers. We... stopped them. The leadership, at least all that we could find, they're in jail now. I guess the nobility thinks that such a deed is worth a king's ransom."

SanguinePenguin
2013-01-11, 12:00 AM
"Well, that's nice, you should be proud to have helped others. Be careful - I wouldn't want you getting hurt. I'm sure you'll be fine, though - you always could take care of yourself. I can guard your treasure until you get back..."

Ajadea
2013-01-11, 02:58 AM
"Thanks, Grandma. D-I'll be careful," Vanalya promises. She could hardly ask her grandmother to not worry though, not when she herself was rather nervous. There's nothing else to say, not really, so she cleans herself off as best she can with the time she has left and leaves to meet with the others.

Leviathan
2013-01-11, 06:03 PM
Augusta spends a few quiet moments with her father's old blade. She washes the dirt of the Perthian streets from her armour and face, making her way to a full-length mirror, its edges laced with cobwebs, the manor simply too big for a single old halfling servant to keep clean.

She stands there, watching herself with her keen eyes, with a look as if she does not know quite what her opposite will do. Father was a knight, once, she muses. It seems I have taken his place in that as well. She casts a long look over her dark breastplate and sword, then shakes her head. Lingering here is less than useless, she scolds herself uncharitably.

She leaves through the manor's gates just as unnoticed as when she entered, setting a brisk pace for the rendezvous point for the group.

Ready to go!

Cardea
2013-01-12, 02:20 AM
Sulet simply went to his room to prepare. It wasn't that much to do, overall, but he was glad for the reprieve. He put on his sash again, tightening it just right, before looking over possibly the only choice he had before leaving: the Scythe, or his Hunga Mungas? He'd yet to visit her, and he'd yet to leave home without the others. Having both was too heavy, the weight threw him off, and he couldn't afford something like that.

In the end, he put the Hunga Mungas in their slots. He wasn't quite ready to deal with that large... thing... again.

Sulet sighed, and crouched down low to the floor. He reached underneath his dresser, pulling out a small, black wooden box. He opened it, placing his platinum inside, save for one, and shut it again before reading the inscription. He pushed it back underneath the dresser, and lay on the floor for a while, simply staring at the box.

He left the one platinum as payment for the room, for whenever he got back.

SanguinePenguin
2013-01-12, 12:36 PM
Eyadin sees someone at the gate and says, "I must ask you to depart. A guest is here. I, and the city of Perth, thank you for your efforts." The half-orc butler promptly escorts you out of the grounds, sparing a polite bow as you leave.

----------------------------------------------------

At the west gate, Draskil stands with a half dozen horses. They horses are sturdy draft horses. While they won't win any races, they are patient, hardy and well-trained. They accept riders without complaint and respond well to both reins and verbal commands. "We should get there midday about three days from now. I know the roads well, please trust my judgement for choice of shelters - I know when nothing better is coming. Only the last day of travel will be rough. The weather," he sniffs the air for a moment, satisfied, he continues, "should be nice. Everyone brought food? Good. I've got a weeks worth of feed for the horses, so we won't need to waste time grazing em'. Let's move out then." He hops up on beast which start to trot unceremoniously down the road.

Well, you have three days. If you want to talk to Draskil or one another go ahead. If you want the fast forward, I can do that too.

SanguinePenguin
2013-01-17, 11:21 PM
The road is long, but Draskil leads the way at a quick pace through long hours. He is a man of few words, the kind capable of saying the precise thing that will end a conversation before it can start. He seems to have more to say to the horses at night than the creatures which speak back.

Near Perth, the road was rife with activity, but once the sprawl of farm land passes and the soil turns rocky, there is neither town nor stranger along the way. During the next day, the party passes a guarded cart carrying longboats upriver. The caravan and its guards give suspicious glares at your passing, but make no effort for conversation.

The roadside shelters are decrepit hovels. They do little to ward off the chill of the nights, providing mostly a sense of enclosure. The second night's stay is less cozy than the last, as the midnight rain finds little resistance from the roof. The third night grants a departure from a man-made structure, as Draskil elects to set camp under an outcropping of rock within some formation that falls short of cave-hood.

Near midday about three days from the start of the journey, Draskil stops abruptly, points to a small shadow in the base a nearby foothill and proclaims, "that's the cave. Right there. How do you want to proceed?"

Strawberries
2013-01-18, 12:03 PM
"Go right in and sing whatever's there a song" Evin answers, with a hint of laughter in his voice, turning towards his companions. "I think that's for the more...martial-minded people to answer.". With a mock bow in Augusta's direction, he adds "I will be at your disposal."

Leviathan
2013-01-19, 03:27 PM
Augusta draws her new blade with a bored manner to the motion, turning it over in her hand with pursed lips. "There is little to do except proceed inside, I should think," she says. "Were Evin speaking in metaphors, he would be quite correct: we enter, draw the attention of whatever is inside, and then kill it."

SanguinePenguin
2013-01-19, 11:35 PM
Following Augusta's lead, the party marches toward the cave. Draskil draws a bow, nocks an arrow and says, "I'll... uh, hang back. If I get a clean shot, I'll take it."

About fifteen feet from the cave mouth, the party pauses to assess. The entrance is about ten feet wide and ten feet high. The cave opens into a larger chamber, but the darkness enshrouds the details. Along the left wall by the entrance, a vein of ore can be seen as a faint glistening response to stray light. Deeper into the cavern isolated sparkles suggest the presence of more ore.

Beriadan: Beriadan's sharper high orc eyes can make out more of the details of the cavern – the glistening metal lightly illuminating the cave enough for him to see somewhat. From where he stands, he can see that the cave entrance goes back about ten feet, with only a slight downward slope, before the cavern opens into a chamber. The floor, and what he can see of ceiling, has small stalagmites and stalactites, but nothing that would impede motion. The chamber looks to be roughly twenty feet by twenty feet (with the ceiling rising almost to that height. It is littered with sparkling veins of silvery ore. The left side of the entrance wall appears to open up as well about fifteen feet into the cave.

Vanalya: Vanalya can clearly make out the entrance to the cave. She sees that the entrance goes back about ten feet with only a slight downward slope, before it opens up significantly to the right. Near the end of her sight about fifteen feet into the cave, she can see that the left side of the entrance wall appears to open up as well. She can make out what looks to be shallow claw marks - all roughly the same size - on the floors, walls and ceiling of the entrance.

Ajadea
2013-01-20, 01:49 PM
"Claw marks on the walls and floor," Vanalya murmurs. She follows them upwards. "And the ceiling as well. Not that deep, but to make any marks at all in the rock..." She takes a few steps farther in, to clarify things a little more. "I think there are two paths in there. And before anyone says anything, we are not splitting up to follow both of them. We'll just need a rear guard - not you, Mr. Draskil. Probably Beriadan or Sulet. And keep your eyes open."

[roll0] Is there any hint of which pathway might have more claw marks?

SanguinePenguin
2013-01-20, 03:22 PM
Vanalya: Vanalya steps forward to the mouth of the cave. From here, she can see at the very end of her vision what appears to be the back wall of the cavern.

For the most part, the claw marks seem to subside away from the entrance, as if the creature was more forceful when clawing the entrance for some reason. However, she can see that the silvery ore running along the ground, walls ceilings seems to have also been scratched - the scratches are more frequent heading down the left path inside of the cave.

Ajadea
2013-01-21, 11:23 PM
Vanalya crouches down to run her fingers along the gouges in the rock. "These marks are deeper here than they are inside the cave... I'm not sure why. Perhaps it dislikes light?" She stands and looks around again. "Left, I think," she declares after moment. "There's more scratches in the rock that way, so I guess it - whatever it is - goes that way more often. It's... well, less likely at least... to come up on us from behind."

Strawberries
2013-01-22, 01:59 AM
"Left it is..." Evin replies in a tone that clearly implies 'I defer to superior judgement'. He takes out his crossbow and keeps it at the ready.

((Just in case the bard has some interesting tidbit of information, knowledge (nature) [roll0]

SanguinePenguin
2013-01-23, 06:12 PM
Barring Vanalya and Beriadian, no one can make out much of the cave in the darkness. Unsurprisingly, it is Vanalya who cries out in alarm first, as the blackish-blue spiked-laden head on a long muscular neck darts around the corner. Dual rows of pearly, sharp teeth line the reptilian maw set under its red eyes. The rest of the massive beast rounds the corner promptly, followed by its tail - a structure even longer than the rest of its body. The creature's forearms stretch into broad black wings with nearly a dozen fingers - more than half elongated, framing the wing; the others stout, and dangerously clawed. The legs - its current form of locomotion - propel it forward on muscular clawes talons. Scaled, fleshy, yellow webbing connects a row of spikes running the length of its spine, terminating at a single thorn-like barb at the tip of its tail.

Before the whole party even realizes the creature's sudden appearance, the beast assesses threats: it jabs its barbed stinger at Augusta - whose armor deflects the blow, gnashes its teeth at Beriadan - and tries futilely to clamp unto his arm, and, with the claws on its wings, slashes two well-aimed blows at Vanalya.

OOC: Sorry for the delay, I thought you guys might try to prepare - as least illuminate the cave or something... its the party's turn

Tail vs Augusta: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] Fort Save: DC 16 or [roll2] con damage
Bite vs Beriadan: [roll3] Damage: [roll4] Grab CMB: [roll5]-20=0
Wing 1 vs Vanalya: [roll6] Damage: [roll7]
Wing 2 vs Vanalya: [roll8] Damage: [roll9]

Grapple on Beriadan unsuccessful. The cave is dark, until it's illuminated, that is a -2 to attack unless possessing low-light vision.

Map:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7517332/DD/DragonCave_rnd1.png

Ajadea
2013-01-23, 08:00 PM
Vanalya screams in pain as the creature's claws dig through leather and find flesh twice over. As it reels back to strike again, she presses herself to the wall, breathing hard. Her hands move shakily, and her words aren't exactly resounding, but the spell takes hold. She shudders as her flesh knits together. "Well... we found it," she says squeakily. As if it wasn't completely obvious already. The light from the entrance is just enough to illuminate the blood on her hands.

She frowns and thinks. Dragon? Maybe? Almost, but... a bit slim, tail so long... "Spire wyvern," she breathes. "Sensitive to bright lights. Of course." She raises her voice to be heard over the din of battle. "We need light! Now!"

Vanalya's not going to think about illuminating anywhere, due to darkvision and such. My idea of preparation would be 'get someone bulkier in front' in all honesty, but no one posted to do that.

Moving to C6 if at all possible, and casting CLW from my spells per day.
[roll0]

[roll1] What IS that thing? IC, obviously. OOC, I know it's a dragon.

Leviathan
2013-01-23, 11:02 PM
Augusta smiles resolutely as the monster's tail is deflected away by her armour. "Someone light a torch, then," she calls. She moves forward, swinging her blade at the thing, shouting as she does so. "Ha!"

Move to attack, to Vanalya's current spot if she moves. If not, then to C6.

Attack (-2 accounted for): [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Strawberries
2013-01-24, 02:15 AM
"Light. On it." Evin brings his hand up, murmuring something between a whisper and a tune. A single globe of light shoots from his fingers. With minute movements of his wrists, the bards moves it, bringing it straight in front of the creature's eyes. It's a simple bard trick, but one that may turn very useful.

((Dancing light, one light, brightest he can, right up to the wyvern eyes))

GoodbyeSoberDay
2013-01-25, 12:44 AM
Beriadan lets out a grunt as he rips his arm away from the draconic beast. Somehow, in the hurried shouts and scraping of scale against steel, the high orc hears an eager whisper, or maybe a chant, that repeats Slay the dragon kin.... With little time to analyze these voices, the young paladin appears to stare at the wyvern momentarily. It radiates with evil, which only makes the chants get louder and louder. Slay the dragon kin... Slay the dragon kin...

Iomedae blesses Beriadan's sword as he brings it to bear against the wyvern, but her fury shares room with... something. Once again, steel clashes with scale.

I'm going to make the wild assumption that Beriadan had his weapon drawn walking into the monster-infested cave. He's detecting evil as a move action. If it doesn't ping, I'll get rid of the holy smiting text and stuff.

HP 23/28; AC 22 against the wyvern

Smite Evil power attack: [roll0] (+3 base, +4 strength, +1 weapon, +3 smite, -1 power attack
Non-lethal damage: [roll1]
Lethal damage: [roll2] (+6 strength, +1 weapon, +3 smite, +3 power attack
Crit confrim: [roll3]
Crit damage: [roll4]

If it isn't a smite, attack rolls and lethal damage rolls are three less, and AC is 19.

SanguinePenguin
2013-01-26, 01:04 AM
Sulet grabs a hunga munga from his side and hurls it at the wyvern. Next to him Draskil stands paralyzed with fear, obvious that the tides of battle are in the hero's favor.

Sulet Hunga Munga: [roll0]: Damage: [roll1]

SanguinePenguin
2013-01-26, 01:18 AM
The wyvern's initial strikes did little to harry his home invaders, but the invaders had more in store than just waking him from his nap. Augusta's father's sword slashed him, leaving a deep gouge across the face. Evin's magical light sent him into a momentary recoil from lights brighter than the beast had seen in weeks. That spell opened up a path for Beriadan's falchion and the paladin took it. The blade crunched its way through one of the beast's black spines before cleaving part way through its neck. The wyvern reeled in pain only to get a munga hungaed in his cheek.

Reeling from pain and losing a lot of blood, the beast lashes out again. This time focusing strikes on the paladin who wounded him so grievously. Through Iomedae's grace alone, the beast's jaws miss Beriadan's neck, but the barbed stinger slips though a gap in the high orc's breastplate. The high orc can feel the tail pulse once as the venom is injected into his torso.

Tail vs Beriadan: [roll0] Damage: [roll1] Fort DC 16 or [roll2] con damage
Bite vs Beriadan: [roll3] Damage: [roll4]
Wing 1 vs Beriadan: [roll5] Damage: [roll6]
Wing 2 vs Beriadan: [roll7] Damage: [roll8]

No map needed I think... you guys should have this...

GoodbyeSoberDay
2013-01-26, 02:05 AM
As the beast desperately lashes against Beriadan's armor and pierces him with its venomous tail, the high orc grins. Grins? What's going on? But not now. He roars as his pained side fights the poison; he clutches the wound for a moment, allowing Iomedae's grace to slow the bleeding. Without thinking, he murmurs "Slay..." as Scalebreaker rises then arcs down towards its target.

First, swift action Lay on Hands: [roll0] (+1d6 comes from Greater Mercy)

HP: 18/28 + lay on hands result, above
AC is still 22 against the Wyvern, if it gets another turn...

Then smiting power attack again.
Attack: [roll1] (+3 base, +4 strength, +1 weapon, +3 smite, -1 power attack)
Non-lethal damage: [roll2]
Lethal damage: [roll3] (+6 strength, +1 weapon, +3 smite, +3 power attack)
Crit Confirm: [roll4]
Crit Damage: [roll5]

Leviathan
2013-01-26, 04:47 PM
Augusta doesn't cease her attack. She brings her sword in a downward arc toward the wyvern. Asmodeus will see that I am strong, she thinks, casting a sideways glance at Beriadan as the paladin murmurs his single word.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Ajadea
2013-01-26, 05:21 PM
Vanalya pulls herself up to her full, not entirely imposing, height. *Hold!* she spits, hissing the word in harsh, sibilant, Draconic. She wasn't sure how well the spell would work, but if it couldn't understand her words, it probably didn't speak at all.

Casting Command, Will Save DC 16.

SanguinePenguin
2013-01-26, 09:00 PM
The wyvern narrowly dodges Beriadan's attack only to lean into Augusta's blade - in spite of their differing ideologies, the two compliment each other on the battlefield. The wyvern is losing lots of blood, but it still stands. After Vanalya commands it to stop in draconic, the beast holds in place.

Still up, but I know Evin or Sulet can take it down (if not, the rest of the party can next round).

Strawberries
2013-01-27, 04:57 PM
With a curt gesture of his hand, Evin manoeuvres the light so that it keeps shining in the eyes of the recoiling wyvern. At the same time, he points his crossbow at it and lets a bolt loose. With any luck, they're bringing it down soon...and then something's going to be done for both the healer and the paladin.

[roll0]
[roll1]

SanguinePenguin
2013-01-27, 05:37 PM
Draskil seems to realize the situation and finally musters the courage to fire his bow at the severely injured wyvern. At the same time, Sulet chucks another hunga munga at the dangerous beast. Though both attacks miss, the beast simply stands there, ignoring openings to strike.

Draskil:
Attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]

Sulet:
Attack: [roll2] Damage: [roll3]

GoodbyeSoberDay
2013-01-27, 06:17 PM
As his wounds close up, Beriadan seems to snap out of whatever battle stupor had taken him, becoming aware of his less-than-sane grumblings. Focus! Now's the time! He shakes his head for a moment, then lets out another grunt as his falchion swings sideways towards the wyvern's neck.

HP: 26/28
AC: 22 versus Wyvern

Note the numbers are the same as before.

Power attack: [roll0]
Nonlethal: [roll1]
Lethal: [roll2]
Crit confirm: [roll3]
Crit damage: [roll4]

Strawberries
2013-01-29, 02:42 AM
Come ON, dammit... Standing in a cave shooting dangerous creatures is not exactly something that Evin is really used to do. Think of it as a tavern brawl. A tavern brawl with a REALLY big troublemaker, he tells himself, bringing his crossbow up again.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Ajadea
2013-01-29, 12:10 PM
Vanalya steps closer to the two melee combatants, gripping her sling tightly in one hand. With the other, she grabs a smooth round bullet and shoves it into the cup of the sling. And she waits for an opening.

Moving to B5, drawing a weapon (sling) and loading it.

Leviathan
2013-01-31, 12:36 AM
Augusta whirls her bastard sword around her head once more, but actually strikes at the wyvern with an open-handed touch. Her hand crackles with Asmodeus' unholy strength, blazing with black fire.

Touch attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1], plus Will DC19 or become shaken.

SanguinePenguin
2013-01-31, 01:03 AM
Though unable to act under Vanalya's magic, the wyvern still is able to dodge Beriadan's overly confident swing and Evin's bolt fails to pierce the scales of the beast. Still, at Augusta's mere touch, the wyvern collapses to the ground with a spasm. Bleeding profusely through its grievous wounds, the beast is clearly not long for this world.

At the mouth of the cave, Draskil stands motionless, jaw hung in awe - at either the majesty of the dying beast or of the heroes who felled it. Inside the cave, all is eerily silent - only the slow drips of water percolating through ceiling and the softer sound of the blood pooling pierce the void.

Strawberries
2013-02-05, 01:21 AM
Evin jumps aside just in time to avoid being hit by a spray of blood as the creature falls. "We killed it. Good." he comments, and then, to Augusta "What in the hells was that?"

SanguinePenguin
2013-02-07, 06:38 PM
Evin's question snaps the stunned Draskil out of his stupor, "I'll tell you what that was - a dragon! I've never even seen a dragon before! But you just killed one! A dragon!"

Examining the nearby wall in Evin's unnatural light, he adds, "and this is definitely silver... I need to assess this... can we proceed into the cave more?" The last statement leaks nervously from his lips as the prospect of another beast lurking inside creeps into his mind.

Ajadea
2013-02-07, 08:22 PM
"Technically, the spire wyvern isn't a true dragon," Vanalya says automatically. But... semantics aside, yes, they had killed a scaly, winged, and draconic being. In a twisting, dark, cave, or at least the mouth of one. It was a rather classic motif - brave heroes, noble patron, murderous beast... She pushes the thoughts aside. "Is anyone hurt?"

SanguinePenguin
2013-02-10, 10:38 AM
The wounds appear mild and no one speaks up, so the question answers itself.

Urging the party forward, Draskil makes cursory assessments of the cave. No other beast comes forth as the party roams the four chambered cavern. The first and largest chamber, where the wyvern lies dead, has every wall, floor and ceiling lined with fissures of ore. The first half of the chamber is roughly a twenty-foot cube, with the left wall opening into a fifteen by twenty-five foot room, the floor gets rougher far away from the entrance and near the walls.

The second chamber opens to right at the far back of the first chamber and slopes upward for ten feet before leveling off for another fifteen. the ore does not line this part of the cave. Instead, it is lined with bones. Bones, clothing, weapons and armor. It was clearly a repository of waste for the wyvern.

The third chamber and final chamber is a ten by fifteen foot alcove risen above the main chamber. Though the main chamber is coated in ore, this chamber sparkles. In addition to the entire alcove being coated by silver, an enormous, broad pile of copper, silver and gold coins sits on the raised floor, meticulously gathered and placed. "The dragon's hoard..." Draskil mutters with a stunned expression.

After getting over his shock, the scout sets about examining aspects of the cavern and ore in detail.

Leviathan
2013-02-10, 11:03 AM
"Good," Augusta says as the awe-struck Draskil points out the dragon's hoard. "I would not have wanted our work to have been in vain." She surveys the loot with a slight smile. "I suppose that we can have it counted later, but it does little good sitting in a cave."

The noblewoman sheathes her blade, lighting a torch so that she can see better. She does a walk-around of the cavern, frowning slightly as she uses one of her steel-shod boots to rummage through the bones for anything of interest.

Loot everything!

SanguinePenguin
2013-02-10, 06:10 PM
The party finds an absurd number of coins - mostly copper, lining the wyvern's bed. Attempting to count them would be time consuming and exhausting. Draskil adds from his stupor, "that's a lot of coins... we can load up the saddle bags. There is a money changer near the mines, he'd take a cut, but could move those copper into smaller coins. Split six ways that has got to be..." Draskil spends a moment running his hand through the pile, judging the coins, "at least thirty gold a piece. Prob'ly even more."

Among the piles of bones there are a few potentially useful looking items: a well-crafted suit of chain mail, a well-crafted chain shirt, a hand axe, two short swords, four daggers, another rather nice dagger and a sickle. The rest of the items appear too decrepit to be of any use.

Detect Magic
The coins radiate no magic. The hand axe radiates faint transmutation. A discarded forearm bone, ulna, with decaying ligaments (not magic) still attaching it to pieces a hand, radiates a potent enchantment (compulsion).

Lots of coins, but you realistically can't count them now. (2105 cp, 832 sp, 154 gp, 3 pp). Masterwork chainmail, chain shirt and dagger. Rest of the items are mundane.

Strawberries
2013-02-16, 03:40 PM
Evin cheerfully ignores the hoard. Had he be in for the money, he wouldn't have chosen this career in the first place. The bone, however, attracts his attention. He whistles a bit to himself while examining it. "Now THAT's interesting. I wonder what it does."

Hey, bard. Bards are for knowledge checks.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Ajadea
2013-02-16, 06:21 PM
Where there are dragons, so too a hoard. Storybook, perfect. Just short a princess. "Axe... transmutation, most likely. And the bone's enchanted - enchantment, that is. Very potent, too." Vanalya squints a little, kneels down, and picks up a coin as if holding it up to a light source, though the lights are hovering in an entirely different direction. "The rest's mundane, I think." She sets it down and picks up the handaxe instead, letting Evin take a look at the bone. "We'll have to bring this, plus that bone, back into town. Especially that bone. I'd really like to get a better look at it, but I don't have everything I need for the spell with me."

Retroactive detect magic, sorry for not posting earlier.

Strawberries
2013-02-17, 10:13 AM
Evin nods and picks it up "Absolutely. If it's alright with you, I'll hold on to this, for the moment. May be something important. May even be an Artefact. " And as a bard, Evin would love to know what it is and what it's for.

Leviathan
2013-02-17, 02:08 PM
"What indeed?" Augusta says with a shake of her head, running her hand over the well-made suit of chain as she hands it off imperiously to Draskil. "But I believe we can inspect it all at our leisure..." She casts a glance at the decaying forearm with a slight smirk. "I somehow doubt that it's owner will be wanting it back."

SanguinePenguin
2013-02-18, 08:24 PM
Draskil finishes his thorough scan of the cavern. After a bit of a walk around outside the cave, the scout finally proclaims, "if there is just a little more silver in here than I can confirm is present, it will be worthwhile to set up mining operations, roads, guards and everything a mine entail." He then adds, "if there is as much silver around here as I suspect there is, then this will have enough work to replace the dried up Kradentz silver mine completely."

With the wyvern dead, and the desired treasure secured, the party sets off to the mining port with Draskil. The four hour journey is slow and rocky, but uneventful. Finally, as the daylight starts to wane, the river at least comes in sight. The heroes arrive just before sunset to the small settlement of Bragg's Fort.

The Fort, which consists on roughly two dozen buildings surrounded by thick palisades, straddles the very river which gives Perth its name. Several trails fragment from the Fort's entrances on either side of the river and head off west into the mountains, save for a lone, well-traveled road which heads east to the city. The guards appear to know Draskil and wave him and his traveling companions through with nothing more than a smile and nod.

Inside of the fort, there are stacks and stacks of longships waiting to be moored, loaded and shipped to the city. Even at sunset, the fort is bustling with activity as a single longship latched to the dock is loaded with crates of goods destined for Perth. Barring a general store and an inn, the settlement appears to contain only the barracks for the shipping companies and outposts for mining operations. Draskil leads you to the general store with the bags of coins. The burly money changer quickly sorts, weighs and counts the coppers and silvers. After the money changer takes his cut, the party is left with 46 gold coins a piece.

Draskil grins broadly as he takes his share. He points to a man monitoring the loading of the longship, "the men over there should be able to set you up for the return. Since you are headed back on a longship, you'll get back first, so please give this report to Mr. Goodbarrel," he hands you a letter that he wrote while the money changer was working. "This is where we'll part ways," the scout extends his hand to shake.

SanguinePenguin
2013-02-23, 01:12 AM
With nothing left to say, Draskil departs through the gate you entered. With nothing to do in the dull outpost, the rest decide heading home seems the most sensible course of action. The freshly set sun still illuminates the darkening sky as the party engages the overseer. Words and letters are exchanged. The next boat on Pareid's list leaves in three hours. The time burns under the guise of sleep before the party is loaded onto the boat next to crates and crates of cargo.

This longship are actually five smaller boats ten feet by twenty feet in size, stitched together with a lone oarsmen steering at every other segment of the vessel, and another taking sleep. The river is deep the whole way - a virtue, otherwise the cargo-laden boats would drag along the bottom. The river also moves quickly most of the time. The crew know their business and have no difficulty navigating the swift current, even in the dark due to the multiple lanterns.

About in hour into the journey, the oarsman on the foremost ship, your vessel, finally says in a slow, calm, deep voice with a even deeper drawl, "you folk best make yourselves comfortable - I'd grab some sleep were I you. We won't be reaching that place those bandits tend to strike for well over a day yet..."

You can talk to the oarsman if you wish. We can fast forward, too if you have no interest in doing that. If anyone wants to make preparations, you should do so before I move you forward.

I'd also like to hear from everyone, even if OOC, just to say, "hey!" (plus a few extra characters to reach the min character requirement)

Strawberries
2013-02-23, 09:44 AM
Evin leans forward, an interested expression on his face. He doesn't even have to feign it: he likes talking with people "They're always the same group, then, I suppose" he says, in a voice and tone clearly designed to get the other to talk "How often does that happen? "

SanguinePenguin
2013-02-23, 11:09 AM
Fortunately, it is a long trip - had you other places to be, the man's deliberately slow speech could have gotten tiresome. "Aye. Same few from what I hear... give or take... if they strike this longship, then this'll be my fourth time. They've been at it for two weeks, now. There's a bend where the river gets real slow... there, they make us go ashore, and they shoot us with arrows if we don't. They've done it to others before, so we all listen now. They really don't pay us enough not to comply - not that the pay is bad, but I reckon that a man must be paid a lot to throw away his life for someone else's ore. They only take what's easy - never striking when there's guards aboard, so I reckon that you'll need to hide when the time comes. Other guards have done that too, but the bandits just haven't struck then. They don't always show, may have been happenstance."

Strawberries
2013-02-23, 12:19 PM
That, or someone was keeping them in the loop, Evin instantly thinks, but he just smiles and nods "Of course, we'll be discreet, won't we?" the latter is addressed to his companions.

Ajadea
2013-02-23, 12:28 PM
Vanalya presses her lips together and stares at the water rushing past. "We are adventurers." she says finally. "Isn't protecting people part of the job? Considering that the bandits seek to avoid conflict, hiding ourselves seems rather counter-intuitive."

Strawberries
2013-02-23, 12:36 PM
"I was actually suggesting an ambush" Evin replies, in a tone that clearly means 'come on, I can't be the only one that thought about that.' "You know, hide, wait for the boat to dock, pop out and have them handed on our plate instead of go looking for them?"

SanguinePenguin
2013-02-23, 05:14 PM
"Yup, as was I... without an ambush, they'd never show. Either guards on every ship - which this company couldn't afford - or catch 'em in the act, just once. I believe that is why you are here..."

SanguinePenguin
2013-03-01, 06:57 PM
The shifts come and go. The other, younger, oarsman - who was asleep in the boat at the onset - takes the place of the older man every six hours. Rarely, the two of them steered together, but mostly one just slept.

A day passes on the dull journey, then a night. Finally, shortly after sunrise, the old man says with a drawl, "yep... we are coming up on the bend in about ten minutes, you may want to prepare and then hide about now."

The party complies - donning armor and drawing weapons of choice. Then, ducking under tarps, which shelter the many crates in case of rain, they find themselves out of sight. A few minutes pass before a voice calls out, "if you value your life, then steer to the shore - I know how to use this!" The boat slows before a scraping sound accompanied by some lurches indicate it had beached.

"A wise move - get the cargo!", the last words a command to henchmen unseen.

Alright, if you want to jump out now, or wait, let me know...

I still haven't heard from Leviathan or GBSD...

Strawberries
2013-03-12, 12:26 PM
A little more than 24 hours, but hey. Let's get this show on the road. I suppose people would still be interested?

And, yeah, Evin's totally having an Elan moment. But it's for the sake of progressing the story.

Evin stays crouched below the tarps for approximately ten seconds, waiting for someone like the paladin or the cleric to take the lead... but it doesn't feel right. Oh, hell, I'm going to regret this. he thinks, as he jumps out.

"Not quite so fast, my friend" he interjects. He's got his rapier drawn.