PDA

View Full Version : Use Diviner spells for lock smith bonus?

silverwolfer
2012-08-23, 05:42 PM
Would you ever allow a rogue to use divinition spells, for a bonus on lockpicking or trap finding?

Gavinfoxx
2012-08-23, 05:45 PM
Why not just use a Psychic Rogue or a Beguiler??

silverwolfer
2012-08-23, 05:46 PM
This is not a building question gavin, this is a would you allow it question. Thank you though.

Flickerdart
2012-08-23, 05:48 PM
What, for free? As UMD'd items? After taking Magical Training? You gotta give us a little more context than that.

silverwolfer
2012-08-23, 05:51 PM
Nooonononon

If a rogue caste a divination spell, or if a wizard cast one and said okay it is "this type of lock " or " the trap is in that general area"

would you allow the rogue any type of bonus in those situations.

Urpriest
2012-08-23, 05:58 PM
There are already spells that give skill bonuses, and spells that detect traps. So I'd say, only if they were using a higher level spell than the specialized one, and any skill bonuses will only be +2 or so for good circumstances. But really, such a character would just use the spells designed for this purpose anyway. At most we're talking detect magic to find magic traps.

Gavinfoxx
2012-08-23, 05:59 PM
How would a rogue cast a divination spell? Why not just use one of the many skill increasing spells in a wand? Those are mostly Divinations.

silverwolfer
2012-08-23, 06:04 PM
Alright ty Ur....grrr Gavin let me ask my question without , why would you do that anyways , like thoughts.

Keld Denar
2012-08-23, 06:17 PM
Are you talking about like, clairvoyance into the lock? I mean, if you could see how the tumblers look, it might help. Probably a +2 circumstance.

Gavinfoxx
2012-08-23, 06:47 PM
Loresong. Divination. Brd1, Sor/Wiz1. +4 competence bonus (+1 per 2 caster levels), on a skill.

Divine Insight. Divination. Clr2/Pal2. 5+CL Insight bonus on a skill.

Wieldskill. Divination. Initiate of Gond 1. +5 competence bonus on a skill.

Skillful Moment. Divination. Bdr1, Sor1/Wiz1. Can Take 20 on a skill as a single standard action.

Guidance of the Avatar. Divination. Clr2. +20 competence bonus on a skill.

Instant Locksmith. Divination. Sor1/Wiz1, Assasin1. Can make one Disable Device or Open lock check as a free action this round, with a +2 insight bonus on the check.

Yes, I would let a Rogue with sufficient Use Magic Device activate wands or scrolls of these Divination spells to get their stated bonuses, including Open Lock or Disable Device.

Psyren
2012-08-23, 09:50 PM
I think OP is saying "can someone (whether the rogue or anyone else) cast a divination that could in any way give a rogue a bonus on lockpicking or trapsmithing?" e.g. if the Cleric casts Find Traps and says "there's definitely a trap on that chest," when the rogue walks over to disarm it, would he get a bonus on locating it (knowing that it's there?)

I think most groups, so long as someone in the party saw the trap, would then allow the rogue to try disabling it even if he flubbed his Search roll. At the very least I'd let him reroll.

ericgrau
2012-08-24, 04:56 AM
Ya but you have to fudge it since there's no clear rule for it. Generally you give a +2 circumstance bonus and that seems fine here.

That's for open lock and disable device. For search the first question you should ask is "Is it already found without the search check?" Even if a different character found it he might tell the rogue "The switch is right there."

supermonkeyjoe
2012-08-24, 05:59 AM
Sure, +2 circumstance bonus would be appropriate here, but is spells are available, why not just cast knock to open locks?

Downysole
2012-08-24, 06:57 AM
I think it would also make sense for a rogue with some kind of "ask your god if this is a good idea" spell up to be able to get a bonus to picking the lock.

i.e. rogue: Will I progress in opening the lock safely if I turn the tumbler left? your god: Yes.

That could be worth a +2, but picking the bonus type would be interesting.

ericgrau
2012-08-24, 06:48 PM
Sure, +2 circumstance bonus would be appropriate here, but is spells are available, why not just cast knock to open locks?

Because of the bane of all divination and other utility spells: you didn't prepare the right one.

MASUD ALI
2014-09-13, 04:08 AM
{Scrubbed}

With a box
2014-09-13, 04:27 AM
But if you can cast spell, why not moot the lock with knock spell?

MASUD ALI
2014-09-13, 04:43 AM
I should consult this thing with my colleague then i will tell you about mock spell. .

Greenish
2014-09-13, 04:50 AM
Dates, people, dates.

sideswipe
2014-09-13, 05:45 AM
if you role play it well yo could use commune to ask the god which way to turn the tumblers in the lock or other mechanisms. using a spell that high a level that you are pestering a god about a mundane lock would.
a) be hilarious.
b) be overkill on the amount of resources spent.

so i would allow an auto success.

Sith_Happens
2014-09-13, 05:57 AM
Dates, people, dates.

Technically it's a spambot's fault, so...

sideswipe
2014-09-13, 11:29 AM
Because of the bane of all divination and other utility spells: you didn't prepare the right one.

i love it when a wizard prepares knock and then there are 2 locked doors in a row :)

Roland St. Jude
2014-09-14, 02:56 PM
Sheriff: Spam is bad, necro-spam is slightly worse.