PDA

View Full Version : How to get a level 4 SLA with minimal investment?

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-23, 06:19 PM
I'm trying to get a character to qualify for the Fiend of Blasphemy class (Fiend Folio). Most of the requirements are easy enough; even the type and subtype requirements can be taken care of with the Otherworldly feat and a Ritual of Alignment.

What I'm having a little bit more trouble with is finding an efficient way to fulfill the following requirement.

"Special: Must have at least one spell-like ability that
duplicates a spell effect of 4th level or higher."

Can anyone think of any templates/feats that I can slap on to fulfill the prereq? The fewer resources needed (ie, LA) the better. If the template/feat happens to fit in with the theme of a FoB, then all the better!

Only one I can think of off-hand is the Half-Fey template (+2 LA).

Hirax
2012-08-23, 06:22 PM
If psi-like abilities will work for you, the phrenic template would do the trick. and is pretty nice.

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-23, 06:23 PM
If psi-like abilities will work for you, the phrenic template would do the trick. and is pretty nice.

Does psionics-magic transparency count for purposes of fulfilling prereqs like this?

Grimsage Matt
2012-08-23, 06:25 PM
Not that often, but swing for it. Heck, your cult could be based around mental powers/ other such stuff. So long as it can be semi-reasonably explained, could work.

eggs
2012-08-23, 06:29 PM
Some of the Savage Progression classes give level 4 SLAs with 1 levels' investment (Half-Fiend (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031010a) and Half-Fey (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a)).

Flickerdart
2012-08-23, 06:30 PM
The easiest way is getting yourself Spell-Stitched, but you have to be an undead for that.

tuesdayscoming
2012-08-23, 06:50 PM
Hmm... I'm liking the psionic cult idea, particularly since I had already been planning on taking a few levels in Ardent (for Bloodline abuse) and Thrallherd for the extra followers and cohort. Still, I'd like to find a few RAW-viable entry tactics, just to be safe.

The Savage Progressions are great! Particularly Half-Fiend, which saves me a feat by giving the Outsider type at level one. Thanks!

Spell-stitched, as always, is fantastic. It's also pretty cheesy and, IIRC, listed as 'LA -'. I'll avoid that one, I think.

Jack_Simth
2012-08-23, 06:59 PM
There are two versions of the Innate Spell feat. The one in Complete Arcane is useless for your purpose, but if you're already a caster, you may enjoy the Faerun-specific version.

eggs
2012-08-23, 07:07 PM
I totally spaced on Dragonmarks. You could get one of the level 4 options for two feats without much trouble.

Eldonauran
2012-08-23, 07:13 PM
Spell-stitched, as always, is fantastic. It's also pretty cheesy and, IIRC, listed as 'LA -'. I'll avoid that one, I think.

Its not that cheesey. You need a feat (Craft Wondrous Item), must be a wizard or sorcerer (note, it specifies either or, not any arcane caster), a gold cost AND and exp cost.

Spellstitched aint [sic] nothing but a glorified magic item. :smallamused:

Flickerdart
2012-08-23, 07:40 PM
Psh, why would you want to spell stitch yourself? Just pay someone a bunch of money to do it for you. They don't even need to know the spells they're stitching into you.

nedz
2012-08-23, 07:53 PM
You can do it with 2 feats from CMage
Fiendish Heritage and Fiendish Presence.
You need to take the last one at char level 6. It gives you Cause Fear, Detect Thoughts, and Suggestion. Suggestion is level 4.

Dairuga
2012-08-24, 02:09 AM
You need to take the last one at char level 6. It gives you Cause Fear, Detect Thoughts, and Suggestion. Suggestion is level 4.

As far as I recall; Suggestion is a level 3 spell; Not level 4.

Suggestion
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Language-Dependent, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 2, Charm 3, Sor/Wiz 3

Yyyup.

Flickerdart
2012-08-24, 02:24 AM
Voice of the Green (Dragon 325) gives you Speak with Plants as an SLA, and for Bards that's a level 4 spell...but it requires 5th level spells to take.

avr
2012-08-24, 03:57 AM
If you can use the book Dragonmarked, aberrant dragonmarks would totally fit your theme. A couple of feats like eggs said, but once you have an aberrant dragonmark you can spend more feats getting some very cute abilities if you choose (DR 5/byeshk? Who has a byeshk weapon, anyway?).

killianh
2012-08-24, 04:12 AM
IIRC warlock abilities count as SLAs and have equivalent spell levels attached to them. If your class selection is open other than needing to get into the PrC then for both fluff and crunch it seems like a good fit

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-24, 07:00 AM
Warlock's (and Dragonfire adept's)invocations are spell-like abilities. And I usually carry a byshek weapon...in Eberron's game :smalltongue:

nedz
2012-08-24, 07:11 AM
You need to take the last one at char level 6. It gives you Cause Fear, Detect Thoughts, and Suggestion. Suggestion is level 4.As far as I recall; Suggestion is a level 3 spell; Not level 4.

Yyyup.

OK, I got that wrong; however there are other options along the same line:

Fiendish Heritage and Fiendish Legacy.
Teleport, Summon Monster V and Unholy Blight
Requires Character Level 9

Fey Heritage and Fey Presence.
Charm Monster, Deep Slumber and Disguise Self
Requires Character Level 6
Charm Monster is level 4 Wiz/Sorc and level 3 Bard

nedz
2012-08-24, 07:29 AM
There are a number of Templates which grant SLAs also. The cheap ones include: