PDA

View Full Version : The City of Commoners

Erik Vale
2012-08-23, 07:17 PM
It's the second day of spring, and by god can you feel it in the air, the frozen chill of winter almost gone from the air.
If nothing else, finding a place to sleep would be easier.

Already even the townies are beggining to notice, and the city of has become abuz, as it plans its anual spring events, culmunating in a festival arround 12 days from now. If the Burraucracy isn't to slow.

Through the Grapevine, you have heard of a couple of carravans comming in. One is known to be a millitary recruitment drive, something always bringing oppertunities and taking some of the young (Led by one Captain Colbert, who was born an raised in my hometown Mohora, as the man proudly said).
Another Caravan, is much less known of, rumours of wild races rarely heard of let alone seen, even by adventurers, make up much of the convoy, should the rumours be trusted. It is even said some can't even speak Commen, of all things (Straight from the woman's lips).

Start her on the first or second day of spring. In two weeks there is a festival, for which a caravan has come and is setting camp near the city. The caravan has humanoids of many races that most of them can't speak even common and many other things, but very limited to public access at the moment.

On a sadder note, a overheard conversation reveals of what may be an arson on the other side of the city, a parchment shop of some kind.

Rosalinath
2012-08-23, 11:24 PM
Eyes crack open to watch the dawn, grey blanket unwrapping to allow the light and chilly air in. Winter was finally over, but still not warm enough to sleep outside unprotected.

Naskya slowly strode out of the alleyway and into the bustling crowds, her dark skin standing in contrast to her surroundings. Her goal for today was information, her need for money currently satiated.

Moving to the district that held the arson victem Naskya began asking around for details.

Gather Info: [roll0]

Erik Vale
2012-08-26, 06:52 PM
Asking a few questions, and walking to an area of town nearer to the incident, you find out that the shop happened to by one Sonari's Parchment. Sonari, a wizard of little (rather little) renknown who had set up shop recently, mainly as a seller of scrolls and books (The sort of things normally well out of reach). It was burned down yesterday and everything was destroyed, and given her competidors, both on the outskirts of and inside town, some say that it could have been arson. Some say Balga, who looked rather enthusiastic about Sonari's going out of business was the culprit, but then again that has been said about two other, Noria and Galdred.

In total, a new wizard's shop caught fire. For most people it was just a new source of conversation, and amoungst the circles you normally move within, it was just that. Given that it was a shop it is rather normal that people suspect Arson, doubly so that it's main souce of income was paper...

After a moment, you make your way to the ruin of Sonari's shop. And a new reason for Arson to be assumed comes up.
Dispite the building butting up on others, it was the only one that burned, even with the other two being wood, they were barely scorched. As it was, a few people were moving through the ruin of collapsed timbre and ashes, some looking like the city millitia, and perhaps two civilians.

Rosalinath
2012-08-27, 10:08 PM
Kicking a stray chunk of charred wood aside, Naskya pondered her available options. As interesting as this incident was the drowling found the idea of being around the militia unsettling. This would not stop her, though, as she knew that avoiding them would only add to her negative reputation. Slowly walking up to one of the soldiers, the girl took a relaxed pose.

"A terrible thing, this. To think that this could happen in our fair city is scary indeed" Naskya murmured. "Did the owner make it out safely?"

Erik Vale
2012-08-28, 04:55 PM
The guard looks at you suspiciously, but they always do. His face just merges with the countless others.

"Aye, she did."
He then throws his hand over his shoulder, pointing towards a rather determined looking woman. Who seems to be less pecking than the others, who are almost comparable to chickens.

Rosalinath
2012-08-28, 10:00 PM
Naskya nodded to the guard, quickly moving away as to not aggrivate him further. walking across the rubble towards the aforementioned woman.

"Hello there..Somari was it?" she inquired, feeling slightly uncomfortable around the spellcaster but putting on a friendly face. "I heard about what happened from the onlookers but not the how or why. Do you have any leads"?

Erik Vale
2012-08-28, 10:40 PM
Sonari barely looks up as she continues walking.

"Sonari. Not really, other than probably magic and competitors... For obvious reasons."

Sonari sounds very much like shes being dismissive, however given the lack of face change in seeing you, and the look orrigionally on her face, it may be purely that she doesn't want to talk.
And before you can follow the train of thought, she speaks again.

"Well, was there anything else or did you just want to add more to the rumor mill. I've told the captain what he needs and you don't look like you could be perticularly useful, unless you want to hunt and peck with me."
Yep, definately dismissive. Only accepting you barely more than the guard captain.
Arcarnists...

Rosalinath
2012-08-29, 12:31 AM
Sighing inwardly, Naskya knew it looked like more trouble than it was worth. Leaving this to the guards felt like giving up, however, and she didn't give up easy. Running a hand through her pale silver hair, the girl placed herself right in the path of Sonari with a leveled glare.

"Yaith ptau'al! I am not the guard, nor a midwife looking for amusement. I want to help, and you know that the captain will just write this up as an accident. So please...let me help".

(Diplomacy? Intimidate?)

Erik Vale
2012-08-29, 02:17 AM
((More a use of force than reason (marginally) so intimidate. But roll both, first to grab her attention (intim) then to convince (Diplo) ))

Rosalinath
2012-08-29, 05:38 AM
Intimidate- [roll0]
Diplomacy [roll1]

(Ha! amusing that I havent screwed up my cha checks as badly as expected. Also a nat20 if you use those for skill checks)

Erik Vale
2012-08-29, 05:38 PM
((I dont, but it's still succesful, Assuming shes only a low level wizard at the moment. Intimidate was abysmal though, such happens.))

Sonari barely looks up until you finish speaking. But when she does she stands up tall, almost as if she's about to give you a lecture.
And then she slumps slightly.
"I... I would rather talk about this latter, and I've given the guard what he neds."
As she says this, she waves her hand towards the guard, halfheartedly.
"Perhaps. Would you mind helping me look through the ruins. I'm looking mostly for anything that might have survived... I'll take you over to Hannald's afterwards."
It would seem that she, at the moment, is caught between frustration, and desire to vent, and the desire to be helped.

Taking a quick look around the ruin doesn't show much, but it looks like it's mostly searched, it probably wouldn't take long.

((If you help search))

Roll 3 Search checks. Yeah, amazingly Simple.
You could otherwise just roll 1, and act as if aiding Sonari for her own.

Rosalinath
2012-08-29, 07:18 PM
(I even out to a +0 so aid anothers looking good. I'll edit after the result.

Aid Sonari's Search- [roll0] )

In an attempt to be helpful, Naskya moved over the rubble in the other direction of Sonari to help ease the difficulty of such a search. Sadly her own investigation was sparce, leaving the arcanist to backtrack and inspect already searched ground.

Erik Vale
2012-08-29, 07:43 PM
((Aids a Flat bonus, however your own roll was not that great so you don't find anything on your own))

Searching together, the three searching dont find much ((You, Her and Her Assistent)), but assisting Sonari you do find a few things. The odd scroll, somehow protected, vials, lab equipment. It won't help much, but it will make starting up... Marginally easier. It mostly give hope. In truth, perhaps the most benifit you gave was pointing out something looked interesting that she bypassed, being a largish peice of equipment.

With suitable amounts of dust and soot on you (as well as perhaps an hour passing), you head towards Hannalds with Sonari.

Hannald's is a smallish cafe, higher class than you would normally go to with your money, but nothing fancy. The chef appears to be a largish human or part human.

"I'll buy." She says softly, before speaking up. "Hello Hannald. Doing well?"
"Okay... I've heard the news, 'tis an unfortuneate thing. What can I get you girls?"
He sounds rather sombre, and there is a menu above him.
((Anything you want within reason. So No Umbar Hulk steak.))

Rosalinath
2012-08-29, 08:36 PM
Cafés were interesting to Naskya. Essentially a combination of resteraunt and food stand, they provided the comfort of a proper meal without the outlandish prices that she was used to seeing. This place, though, was an unknown to her.

Looking over the menu with a keen eye, the drowling perused through it until she found a modestly priced item that interested her. Allowing the others to order before her, Naskya smiled softly as she stepped lightly foreward.

"I'd like the roasted fish please".

Erik Vale
2012-09-02, 07:11 PM
Sonari nods slightly at your choice.
"Grilled Chicken."
"Your usual? Ok. You two girls take a seat, your food will be with you soon."

It appeared that the Cafe might be a 3 person job, one was talking to a customer and one had just come out of the kitchen. A gnome, bearing some roasted lamb and bread.

The cafe was small, with few tables and chairs, and you both head to a small two person table nead a wall. Fortuneately due to the small number of people in at the moment, you have a fair bit of room, probably no one to overhear any discussion, as the few that are in pay attention to their plates.

"Well... Whats your name?"