PDA

View Full Version : IC: Expedition to Slave Citadel

Pages : [1] 2

Felhammer
2012-08-23, 10:38 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/RHO1/An%20Amalga/slave.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/RHO1/An%20Amalga/town1.png http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/RHO1/An%20Amalga/Sunset-1.png http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/RHO1/An%20Amalga/swamp-1.png

You find yourselves once again in the large sea-side town of Emmah. Five ships have docked at port, leading to a small army of sailors descending upon the town. The ships are all different shapes and sizes. The largest bares the Black and purple sails of the Colinan State Marines. Emmah's town crier has been very busy all day, reporting the news from abroad.

"Hear ye, hear ye. The crew of the Disgraceful Shark is reporting that Dragon-King Brazel has sent a horde of goblins down the mountain-side, crashing against the tall walls of Paradise like a great wave. The walls remain firm His Most Gracious Highness King Margath II has called for all those still loyal to the Crown to come to Paradise and aid Adeland in defeating Brazel's vile hordes. The Captain of the Bloody Barnacle of the Sea has wondrous news - Her Majesty the Queen Gretta IV of Rechtsland has given birth to a strong, handsome baby boy. Jander was crowned Prince of Rechtsland and Duke of Haakon last week. An Elven sailor aboard the Pride of the West has reported that Ixen has invaded the Rhyban island of Nanmora with an army numbering nearly three thousand. The Elf also said that the Great Queen of the Mermaids has blockaded the island with her armada of kraken in an effort to end what she sees as a needless war."

It is late in the afternoon, the sun is setting in the west; its fiery amber glow casts long shadows within the town. A chilly sea breeze rushes in as the sun sets. Much revelry can be heard, coming from Emmah's many inns, taverns ad brothels. The shops are slowly closing, their owners no doubt eagerly awaiting the chance to join in on the fun. You wandered into "Ye Olde Howling Imp Tavern & Inn", which is one of the busier pubs in town. The Tavern is owned and operated by the three Duum triplets - Rak, Rid, Rut. The three dwarves are well known for their love of ale and their tall, orange mohawks. The large common area is filled with townsfolk and sailors, all of whom are eating, drinking and telling tall tales. A Dragonborn Bard stands up on stage, blaring out mythic legends of the Dragons but his timing and delivery are off, leading most patrons to simply ignore him. At the back of the tavern sits a sullen, blonde-bearded dwarf, flanked by two equally sullen body guards. The townsfolk and the sailors are giving them a wide berth.

MAP (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqwAHuAvhXiqdFcxSjRHVFZmYXhIYVFZOVFjcFEtT Wc&pli=1#gid=0)

NotScaryBats
2012-08-24, 01:59 AM
Wren Blackblood

Wren Blackblood fidgets in the corner of the tavern. Her petite frame is easy to miss, not even standing five feet tall due to a childhood of malnourishment. She is a human girl of indeterminate age, with wild black hair and a generally unkempt appearance. Clad in oily rathide armor, she is leering at a table of rowdy sailors that are leaving soon.

As they do, she swoops in, pours the dregs of their mugs together, and returns to her corner to loiter, nursing the swill left over from their revels. These city-dwellers could be so wasteful, but their loss was her gain.

Her beady black eyes dart about the room, missing nothing.

FatherVenom
2012-08-24, 10:16 AM
Purple Tom

Tom, a tall man with a slight paunch, dirt brown hair, dull brown eyes, slightly flushed nose, and a smile that could blind a man, rushes in off the street and bellows out to be heard above the din. I see you all started without me! Tom winks to the familiar faces.

His armor rattles as he makes his way over to the dwarves, moving awkwardly as if he if he hasn't worn it in some time.

Get me the good stuff boys. They're shipping me out soon. Thought my wandering days were behind me after I moved out here and settled down, but duty calls. How's business tonight?

Felhammer
2012-08-24, 12:31 PM
The ugliest of the triplets - Rid - greets Tom warmly, "Hello laddie! Come in from another day 'o preachin'? I have some cold ale to sooth that dry throat 'o your's!" Rid grabs a 2 pint dull metal stein and fills it full of a dark gold liquid. "This one's on the house laddie but I expect you to pay double for the next!" The Dwarf starts laughing exuberantly, obviously believing his joke was quite the knee slapper.

The most handsome of the three dwarves - Rut - meanders over after dealing with a rowdy group of sailors and says, "Why laddie, I haven't seen you wearin' dat suit o' armor in many years. What's the occasion?"

Meanwhile, some of the Sailors spot Wren's little "recycle scheme" in action and flash disgusted looks at her.

KnightSteve
2012-08-24, 01:03 PM
Sindri the Bard

A small portly gnome with fiery orange hair that was worn in spiky fashion, walked into the inn. He looks for the man which is his whole reason for being in this noisy bar, the one who was paying him the money for an adventure. "Excuse me dwarf cousin, but have you seen Giavano Noveno here this evening? I think this is the place he said he was meeting me and some others. I hope he isn't too much longer." He looks very ready to leave this place. Too many unruly folk around, and his kind were usually the first to be turned on when a drunken fight started.

FatherVenom
2012-08-24, 01:13 PM
Purple Tom
Tom upends the stein, sloshing a little down his tabard, but since it's already dark purple the wetness doesn't show much.

Ah that IS the good stuff. Some fellas been poking around, namea Giavano Noveno. Heard anything about im? Anyway he's got some expedition lined up. Church wants a local presence and since I'm one of the only ones with some combat experience I got volunteered. Guess you guys will have to plan the festivities without me until I get back. Haha!

Tom notices Sindri at one of the tables. Hey there, little Sindri. Come on over here. I'll buy you a drink. How's your momma?

KnightSteve
2012-08-24, 01:38 PM
Sindri
The gnome notices the older man sloshing beer all over himself and hurries over to take one of the empty seats next to him. Ah, Purple Tom!! It is nice to see you out this evening. You normally do not venture this far away from the church. What are you up to? And to answer your question, Momma is doing well. She doesn't go out to the singings as much anymore with her age getting up there, but she's still farming around the house to make a little money. My sing-songs don't make that much either, so until I get some new songs it will stay that way."

Felhammer
2012-08-24, 01:38 PM
Rid watches with a twinge of jealousy as Tom downs an entire two pints of delicious ale, Want another preacher-man?"

Rut looks down at Sindri and smiles, "The man you are looking for is right over there." Rut points at a blonde haired dwarf sitting at a communal table in the corner. He looks a might bit displeased. Apparently a Sailor had an... Accident near the respectable gentleman... Ever since then, he's been quietly fuming in the corner.

FatherVenom
2012-08-24, 02:20 PM
Purple Tom

Glad to hear it, m'boy. Glad to hear it! I usually make my way around the local taverns at least once every couple months, but I'm on assignment tonight. As I was telling Rid here, I'm to see a Giavano Noveno about an expedition he's putting together.

Tom turns back to Rid. An accident you say? I wondered what that smell was. Well if you're here to see him too Sindri let's go say hello. Rid, set me and my friend here up with drinks and have one on me.

Tom heads over to the blond dwarf. Excuse me, goodsir, I couldn't help but notice your distress. I could magically clean you up, and as a bonus make sure nothing like this happens for a full day, if you'd like. Thing is it's a little pricey. 50g for my materials, but I'll do the work for free.

KnightSteve
2012-08-24, 03:20 PM
Sindri
"Okay, let us go," is all the gnome says as he follows Purple Tom over to Giavano, holding his breath from the stench.

xilokix
2012-08-24, 05:51 PM
Zuka
Zuka is sitting amongst some of the rowdier looking patrons knocking back pint after pint of mead in an effort to outdrink the overzealous dwarf to his right.
Come on ya liddle half pint! Ya drink like a sodding halfling!
Zuka bursts in between burps and booming laughter, obviously irking the tipsy dwarf.

Felhammer
2012-08-24, 07:46 PM
The Sailors get rather peeved at Zuka, who is drinking them under the table. A particularly rowdy Sailor - a Human with dashing good looks - snags on of the Dwarf Barkeeps and demands two Four Pint Mugs, "I challenge you to a drink off good sir! First one to quaff all four pints wins..." The sailor slaps down a very large bag full of silver, "300 Silver Pieces!"

Meanwhile, the sullen Dwarf barely acknowledges Tom's and Sindri's presence. The stench is terrible, smells like a mixture of grog, beef stew and vomit. One of his body guards looks up at you from his seated position and says, "Leave my lord alone. He has no wish to discuss cleaning with the likes of you."

While that is going on, Wren is forced to endure the Bard "singing" the Dirge of the Ancient Dragonborn off key, while hitting lots and lots of flat notes. He then draws a piccolo and begins to jam. You honestly get the impression that he's just blowing into the instrument and covering random holes.

Blackdrop
2012-08-24, 07:52 PM
Zeth makes his way across the tavern floor to the table adjacent to the large gathering in the corner. He sits at the table, glancing down at the Half-orc screaming about halflings.

"Nice night for a drink, eh?", he says to the dwarf across from him. He subtly turns his attention to the group gathered next to him.

NotScaryBats
2012-08-24, 08:07 PM
Wren Blackblood

Meanwhile, some of the Sailors spot Wren's little "recycle scheme" in action and flash disgusted looks at her.

Having long since abandoned the notion of educating the masses on their foolishness, Wren merely flashes a contented grin at the plebeians. Her real attention rests on the other side of the room, where the armored fellow and gnome converse. She watches as they approach the dwarf with the bodyguards, and decides they're all probably here for the same thing.

With a mug in one hand, the sewer urchin plucks a gnarled piece of wood from where it was leaning against the wall. A foot shorter than standard quarterstaff, the young druid's staff is rough and natural -- a fallen branch from an old oak tree.

The bard's performance grates on Wren's nerves, and she is eager to leave this place. Wrinkling her nose, she comes up behind the two adventurous looking gentlemen.

Taking special notice of the human in the armor, Wren Blackblood leans forward and squints at him, attempting to take a measure of his character.

Felhammer
2012-08-24, 08:22 PM
One of Noveno's bodyguards spits on the ground as Zeth sits down, "Hagging Tiefs! Always comin' where they don't belong. Your devil worshiping friends killed my brother in cold blood! I oughta get some paybac..." The blonde Dwarf puts his hand on his bodyguards shoulder and shakes his head.

Noveno speaks, "Tiefling, you brazenly saunter over here and take a seat at my table. I admire that. However, I must know, were you sent here by my Kamiri enemies to spy on me?"

Blackdrop
2012-08-24, 08:34 PM
Zeth stands up from the table, putting his hands out in front of him.

"Gentlemen, Gentlmen please! No disrespect intended. I'm just looking for a drink. Let's not have any undo fussing, alright?"

FatherVenom
2012-08-24, 08:35 PM
Purple Tom

That's a disrespectful way to address a man of the cloth. Ah well, mayhap your lord would care to discuss the expedition then?

Tom takes note of the skinny girl inspecting him, but he remains unperturbed as evidenced by his big toothy grin. Blessings of Liffrea upon you. I haven't seen you around these parts. Who might you be?

Felhammer
2012-08-24, 08:47 PM
Noveno smiles at Zeth, "Well if you don't want trouble, then you are obviously not the assassin my enemies vowed to send after me. Let me buy you a drink, eh?"

The blonde dwarf then looks at Tom, "A man of the cloth? Well why didn't you say so? It's so hard to distinguish hawkers from clergy these days! Here let me buy you some stew." The dwarf then takes a gander at the others nearby, "I take it all of you are here about the job as well?" The Dwarf smiles, "DRINKS FOR EVERYONE IN THE WHOLE TAVERN!"

The whole tavern explodes with joy at the prospect of free drinks!

Noveno calls over one of the Bartenders and whispers, "Make sure it's the cheap stuff..." His eyes shift back to you lot, "Except for these fine folks, of course."

NotScaryBats
2012-08-24, 08:55 PM
Wren sniffs twice, lips pursed. A priest? Maybe she misjudged this one. Still, his scent was strong. Good.

Pointing to herself with the hand holding the mug, the scrawny girl introduces herself, "Wren."

KnightSteve
2012-08-25, 12:31 PM
Sindri takes a drink from the bartender that the blond dwarf bought for the house. He doesn't drink often, but tonight is a special occasion. Sindri may finally get out of his hometown, make some money, and take care of momma. He will try to fit in with this man to get this job.

He notices the scrawny girl when she speaks. "Sindri is my name and playing music is well my livelihood. Hahaha. Bet you thought I was going to make a rhyme. That is for lowly bards, but I was taught at the college how to make the best songs. Like that one over there," he says as he points to the horrible Dragonborn Bard killing his poor instrument.

FatherVenom
2012-08-25, 03:18 PM
Purple Tom

A pleasure to meet you Wren. If you get picked up for this expedition, you stick close to me. Ole Tom'll keep an eye on yeh. You too Sindri.

Tom listens to Sindri introduce himself with two drinks on the table in front of him. Hahaha! That's a good one Sindri. Here now, drink before it gets up and walks away.

NotScaryBats
2012-08-25, 03:32 PM
Wren grins crookedly, revealing yellowed teeth that are slightly longer than they should be. Indicating herself again, she says diffinitively, "Need guide. Wren know wilds. Get eat without Wren."

Felhammer
2012-08-25, 06:42 PM
Noveno laughs heartily, "Let us make a toast to the future!" He raises his glass and says, "The Future!"

The Dwarf sits down and leans in, "Now about the job. I need four or five strapping young men and women to run off into that god-forsaken swamp and acquire something for me. Now, before I go into details, let me give each of you a small gift." One of the gruff body guards grabs a bag from his belt. The sack is obviously holding something heavy and jingly. He sets the orange sack softly on the table and withdraws five black fur pouches. The two guards hand a bag out to each of you. Inside, you find a treasure trove of silver pieces.

"Each pouch contains 2,000 silver pieces. Let that be a gesture of good will from me to you for even considering this quest."

Noveno calls over the bartender and orders a roasted boar and more wine.

"I demand the utmost secrecy. If you accept my venture and you blab about it, I will send a horde of assassins to hunt you down. Now, knowing this restriction, I must ask - are you interested in my proposal?"

NotScaryBats
2012-08-25, 07:03 PM
Wren looks utterly taken in by the bribe. She beams.

Nodding her head, the wild girl downs the remainder of her mug with the toast, then snatches her pouch of coins, tucking it in some hidden fold of her hide armor.

This dwarf is fat and weak, but he has shiny coins. Best to take as many things from him as possible.

KnightSteve
2012-08-25, 07:55 PM
Sindri
"Thank you sir," is Sindri's response to the pouch of silver coins. He could live more than two weeks on this much, and momma would be happy. He wants to go on ahead and say yes to the dwarf, but he wants to see if Purple Tom is going to go too.

OOC: If Tom does indeed say yes (which I am sure he will) Sindri follows suit with a little jig and a "Yippee!!!" :smallbiggrin:

FatherVenom
2012-08-25, 08:02 PM
Purple Tom

Tom eyes the pouch but leaves it alone for the time being.
I'm commanded to go along on this adventure, but why all the secrecy, friend?

xilokix
2012-08-25, 10:19 PM
Zuka
Zuka Stares wide eyed, not having seeing an amount of money rivaling that since his days as a gladiator.
"I got no complaints about doing anything if the price is right. Whaddya want?"

Felhammer
2012-08-26, 05:39 AM
Noveno smiles as he whispers, "Secrecy? Why this is not mere secrecy. This is far beyond secret. Have you ever heard of the Slave Citadel? Well if not, let me tell you this - it was a castle that the god-forsaken Drow of the Fifth World used as their capital. It is said that the Drow housed a plethora of magical relics within the keep's inner sanctums. Sadly Slave Citadel was believed destroyed when Sixth World was created; That was until a few days ago. You see, I... Received a bit of information from a kindly old gentleman from Loxony that the citadel survived the destruction of Fifth World and - thanks to that damned Archdruid Jarasal's meddling with the planes - has now re-appeared here on this very island!"

Sindri and Tom know the following about Slave Citadel: Humans and Dragons dominated Fourth World. The two races could not live in peace and so fought a bloody war. At war's end, the few remaining Dragons and Humans signed a peace treaty and constructed a massive, sprawling city-citadel, called Khaghutt'kalada. The city was dedicated to their new found friendship and understanding.

The Fourth World was eventually destroyed and the Fifth World created. The Drow of this world used the ruins of the city as the capital of their slave-loving, debauchery-adoring, torture-happy empire. The Drow supposedly kept a great number of relics within the Citadel but these are unsubstantiated legends at best.

Blackdrop
2012-08-26, 07:51 AM
"Ancient and potentially dangerous relics aside, do you have any ideas on what we could expect inside the keep? Or do you have any idea who else knows about it suddenly reappearing?", Zeth asks from behind the group.

FatherVenom
2012-08-26, 08:48 AM
Purple Tom

And you would believe the word of this man? Who is he that he can tell you fantastical tales and you take it for truth? Also, if you're the only one who knows and you're ready to send your expedition I still see no need for secrecy. You already have your head start. Anyone else interested in seeking these ruins would already be here looking to be hired, yes?

[roll0]

KnightSteve
2012-08-26, 10:15 AM
Sindri
I do know of the Slave Citadel. There are a few Bardic songs, not very friendly ones, that they teach at the College. There are no records of it surviving past the Fifth World, and many have tried to find it. Why would it just now show up?

[roll0] Insight on his truthfulness.

NotScaryBats
2012-08-26, 12:17 PM
Wren shrugs to herself. This talk-talk could go on for awhile. Still, best to listen and watch. Accepting a refill of her beverage, the scrawny girl says nothing, but studies the others at the table.

Felhammer
2012-08-26, 12:27 PM
Noveno flatly states, "I met him on a boat and we chatted about ancient lore. He was an academic who seemed well versed in such topics. As for the secrecy, well, I am a merchant at heart and always want to have a leg up on my opposition. I have a head start today but what about tomorrow, or a week from now? Secrecy is the only way I ensure I get what I want."

Tom: You get the impression he's being honest.
Sindri: You get the impression he's holding back something key.

Felhammer
2012-08-26, 12:36 PM
One of the Bartenders, you think it was Rak, pops up from the basement kitchen with a gigantic platter, loaded to bare with a very fat boar. Its flesh is perfectly orangey-red with just a few black singes. Rak sets the boar down on the table and says, "I hope yee enjoy 'dis here boar. Paid good money for it from one o' 'dem rangers. Dangerous folk they are — wanderin' da' swamps an' all. Don't trust 'em personally but they always seem to come back with tasty critters ta' eat." The Dwarf rubs his hands clean on his apron as he says, "Speakin' o' which, can I interest ya in some delicious squirrel nuggets? Perhaps marionated in something exotic, like say Daciman chili peppers?"

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBioIZYR22wl6vAzxcuzbpI4gE0y-j-Isf6Ij3SZh1aaFA6X2q

NotScaryBats
2012-08-26, 03:00 PM
Wren's beady eyes light up at the prospect of more food. The boar is one thing, but squirrel nuggets? Delicious.

"Good eat! Bring many nuggets. Long trip ahead."

At once, the voracious girl tucks into the food with a fervor not unlike a starving animal.

FatherVenom
2012-08-26, 03:00 PM
Purple Tom
Seems pretty flimsy and your logic makes little sense to me, but I'm already committed to going, if only to keep the others safe. Tom picks up the sack of coins and puts it in his belt pouch.

Oh excellent, boar! Beats the fish, bread, and porridge I thought I'd get today hands down. It's like the harvest festival all over again. I'm good with this. Thanks Rak!

Felhammer
2012-08-26, 03:01 PM
The blonde-haired Dwarf takes a big bite out of a haunch of meat. He looks over at the Tiefling and says, "The Citadel has been abandoned for millennia, most likely all you will find are various swamp creatures that are native to the island. I don't foresee any trouble."

Felhammer
2012-08-26, 03:18 PM
The Dwarf smiles at Wren as he yells, "Bring me a mountain of these Squirrel Nuggets!"

Noveno nods as he listens to Tom, "Aye. It is flimsy, I won't deny. But I have faith in my contact. As a man of the cloth, I am sure you can understand faith. Worst case scenario, I am paying you a large sum of money to go into a fetid swamp, find nothing and return home." He takes another big bite of pork. As he chews his food he says, "Best case, I am paying you a large sum of money to go into a fetid swamp, discover the ruins of an ancient civilization, recover a few paltry relics for me, and return to this pleasant little town. At which time, I shall pay you even more money! Honestly, it is a win-win scenario for you lot!"

Noticing the fact that he may need to sweeten the deal a bit, "I like this town. I think I shall construct a large church here. You know, remind the people who Liffrea is and why he's so great. Most especially in the face of all these darn heathen demi-gods popping up all over the place."

KnightSteve
2012-08-26, 03:52 PM
Sindri: You get the impression he's holding back something key.

Sindri
"We want to be your friends here in this situation, but I feel like there's something more we need to know. Like, do you know what denizens may lurk inside this Citadel, or any dangers on our way to it?" Sindri is using his gnomish skills of deception and sneakiness to know that Noveno is not telling the full truth.
[roll0] -Diplomacy to inspire good will with our deal with Noveno

xilokix
2012-08-26, 06:35 PM
Zuka
So, when we gonna get going to this cituhdell? Zuka not like being strung along.

Felhammer
2012-08-26, 08:43 PM
The poor dwarf nearly chokes when he is confronted by Sindri. He gently lays his haunch down and stutters out, "Well... You see... There's... Well that is to say... The Citadel is rumored to have an overlord... Which wouldn't necessarily be bad except... Well... He's," the dwarf quietly whispers, "a dragon." Noveno then grabs his haunch of meat and takes a mouthful, "But that's just an unsubstantiated rumor. Probably no truth to it at all!"

NotScaryBats
2012-08-26, 09:10 PM
"Dragon no problem. Kill, eat, get treasure. Back fast. No problem." Wren says around mouthfuls of food and drink.

Felhammer
2012-08-26, 09:14 PM
Rak brings up two silver platters overloaded with small circular chunks of deep friend meat. "Here be your order - two mountains 'o squirrel nuggets!"

KnightSteve
2012-08-26, 09:29 PM
Sindri
"I thought there was more to this quest. Tom what do you think we should do now with this information?" Sindri asks as he leans towards Tom.

FatherVenom
2012-08-26, 09:32 PM
Purple Tom

And where is this rumor coming from? So far all your information comes from some scholar. We are certainly not equipped to be handling some dragon from a bygone age.

NotScaryBats
2012-08-26, 10:05 PM
Wren seems unconcerned with the dragon, for some reason. Perhaps it is the mountain of squirrel nuggets that is occupying her. The delicious bits of fried meat begin to disappear with surprising speed.

Felhammer
2012-08-27, 12:29 AM
Noveno quaffs a pint of ale and brushes off the excess with his long hair, "Well, when I say rumored, I mean that there was a sighting of one in the area and my only assumption is that he has taken control of Slave Citadel. Hopefully, I am wrong. If I am not... Then, well," He shrugs, "I mean it's not like he'd come after you. All I want are some magical trinkets from an inner vault. From what I understand, Dragons like keep their hordes in large, open spaces. The Vault will be small, with a tiny entrance. Not suitable for a big Dragon. He won't even know you're there. Get in, get out. If it troubles you so much, then you certainly don't have to go but that didn't stop the last expedition. They're already halfway there by now. Hopefully those bumbling buffoons will distract any vile denizens of the Citadel long enough for you fine upstanding people to sneak in, get the goods and sneak out."

Seeing how you are a bit unconvinced, "Did I mention there is probably gold and jewels in the vault? You can have all of that. I only want the wands and swords. Anything else inside is your's to keep..." He smiles, "And, I will give you 5,000 silver when you return. That's a King's ransom right there!

NotScaryBats
2012-08-27, 12:39 AM
This fat dwarf keeps giving away things that are not his. That can be dangerous. Wren continues to eat and drink, letting the others at the table continue to convince him to part with his valuables. She smiles to herself, pleased with this genius plan.

KnightSteve
2012-08-27, 08:13 AM
Sindri

Well, it seems like you are convinced we can do this with all of the coins you are throwing at us. I do not like the sound of dragons or other expeditions, but I think that would make a good Bardic song. With Purple Tom, I also believe I will make it back. I here he was a pretty good adventurer in his prime, which I am convinced is not over just yet. I am in, when do we head out? The gnome is starting to rub his hands together in anticipation to make alot of money, and make a new song that could be greater than any at the Bardic College in the last thousand years.

FatherVenom
2012-08-27, 09:04 AM
Purple Tom

Well this all sounds dubious to me, but let us hear more details. What exactly is our mission? What are we looking for? Who sent this other expedition? What can you tell us of their number? What are they after?

Felhammer
2012-08-27, 08:47 PM
Noveno eyes the Squirrel Nuggets but decides to leave them alone after watching Wren devour so many, so quickly. He takes a bit of his boar leg and says, "Slave Citadel was the center of the Drow society for centuries. They housed hordes of powerful magical artifacts inside. I'm sure most have been lost to the ages. However, my contact has assured me that there are several swords and wands left inside. Additionally, there is a map inside that I desperately want and is the reason for all the secrecy. Get the map and I can guarentee another lucrative adventure for you."

Noveno then takes a swig of ale, spilling most of it on his chest. "I sent a gaggle of Rifan Gnomes out there. They seemed eager to earn some coin. Paid them half of what I'm paying you lot. I didn't tell them about the Map. I didn't think they were trustworthy enough. They're there to get some magical axes. Doubt they'll last long." The blonde dwarf shrugs, "I mean, they're Rifans after all."

Rifa was a Barony in the Kingdom of Adeland, back when it was a continent spanning empire. The Barony and its people have always been unlucky. Famines, wars, monsters, accidents, mishaps - all are inherent qualities of Rifa. It seems the winds of fate always conspire to bring hardship upon Rifa and her people.

FatherVenom
2012-08-28, 10:06 AM
Purple Tom

Tom's eyes narrow slightly and his grin shrinks for a second before snapping back into place. He sent those gnomes to what he thinks is their death. Whether stupidity or callousness it matters not, but it is unlikely his treatment of us will be dissimilar. I'll need to share these thoughts with my new companions before we set out.

Tom cuts a chop off the pig, cuts off a bite, pops it in his mouth, washes it down with some of his ale, then wipes his lips. His smile returns, but it doesn't fully reach his eyes.

The foolish man jumps into the river without checking the strength of the current. What more can you tell us of these gnomes? What is their number? What are their names, or at least that of their leader? What is their disposition & demeanor? How are they likely to react to our being on a similar mission? Is there some sign or token you could grant us that would prove our intentions on your behalf to forestall any potential hositilies? How would you have us treat them? Should we aid them if our paths meet? If they prove unequal to their mission would you have us take up theirs as well, including the rewards that come with its completion? Of things you can only guess at, say naught, but what more can you tell us goodsir Noveno?

KnightSteve
2012-08-28, 11:24 AM
"Slave Citadel was the center of the Drow society for centuries. They housed hordes of powerful magical artifacts inside. I'm sure most have been lost to the ages. However, my contact has assured me that there are several swords and wands left inside. Additionally, there is a map inside that I desperately want and is the reason for all the secrecy. Get the map and I can guarentee another lucrative adventure for you."

Sindri
"So, what you are saying is that these drow should be dead, and no one has survived the changing of the times. We will be able to finish this pretty quickly, unless we have to deal with the dragon. I'm sure there will be traps, but maybe these Gnomes you sent weren't of my kin, and are more like the goblins and too stupid to think of that. Especially since they seem to greedy and only want the money, they will be not as cautious because they aren't as focused. We can pick up their slack, find the traps, and take what we need and get out. I think that the five of us are capable enough to get out of here with little bodily harm." Sindri is already thinking of what sort of traps and puzzles there are, and what he would need to do to figure them out. He waits for some more answers, and ultimately the group's acceptance of the quest.

Felhammer
2012-08-28, 09:27 PM
The Dwarf looks into the Cleric's eyes and quite bluntly says, "They are Gnomes from Rifa who came to the island looking for adventure and wealth. They also want to become a marine-based mercenary band or some such. This little venture of their's will pay for the creation of a ship. Be warned though, they aren't too kind and won't be lookin' for help or other adventurers. Avoid them unless you want a fight. That said, they are from Rifa. Luck is never on their side. So who knows. Their leader? Why he's Ramsses the Legendary Bard, who stopped the Gelatinous Ooze Migration all those years ago. He's not with them, he's off in Castiland seeking a royal sanction or some such. This little sub-group that went off on the adventure is lead by Bodywinkle Cobbnab. He trains animals or something. Honestly, I only hired them because they were the first to come to me. Had I known there were real adventurous folk, like yourselves, mucking about, I would have passed on them."

The Dwarf then considers Tom's question and replies, "If you can get any axes feel free to snag them. If you can't then, then no worries. Let the Gnomes toil amongst themselves."

FatherVenom
2012-08-29, 07:07 AM
Purple Tom

Well let us hope our paths do not cross. We wouldn't want anyone getting hurt unnecessarily. What more can you tell us of our goals? Any clues or maps regarding the location of the Slave Citadel or the layout of its interior? Any clues as to where in the citadel we could find these swords, wands and map? How many swords and wands are you asking us to bring back? How will we recognize these objects?

Felhammer
2012-08-29, 09:38 AM
Noveno smiles, "The Citadel is supposed to be out in the center of the island, deep within the fetid mash you call Old Bridge Swamp. The Swords and Wands (and Axes) will be obvious when seen because they will shimmer with a magical glow when bathed in darkness. As for how many, my contact says there are probably five of each left but I get the feeling there might be a few more. Bring back as many as you can find. The map will be tucked away in an obsidian chest about the size of this here boar. Hopefully all of it will be left inside the inner vault, unmolested."

FatherVenom
2012-08-29, 12:00 PM
Purple Tom

Good enough. If no one else has any further questions I recommend we leave at first light to give us the whole day to trek before we camp for the night. Let's all meet up at the gate then?

KnightSteve
2012-08-29, 12:19 PM
Sindri
"I do believe that sounds good Mister Noveno, and Purple Tom. I will see everyone who joins this expedition in the morning at the main gate."
With that Sindri starts walking towards his house, humming about swords, axes and wands. "Axes, and wands and swords. Taking them from evil hordes. OoO, that sounded pretty good!"

NotScaryBats
2012-08-29, 07:15 PM
Wren Blackblood

Wren continues to eat and drink. After thoroughly gorging herself, the scrawny girl hobbles out of her seat, buys 50sp of food from the counter, and disappears into the night.

She makes her way to the wharf, and finds the city's rat population. Offering the hungry creatures the food she's purchased, she attempts to gain news from abroad from the foreign rats.

In my rat form, I can converse with rats. Should the city's/ships' rat populations find their way to me and my food, I talk with them. Not really hoping for a mechanical benefit here, just gossiping and partying with my rat friends.

Felhammer
2012-08-30, 02:30 AM
As the dark of night slowly blankets the town, the sailors retreat to their ships, inns and brothels, embracing the calming effects of a drunken stoupor. The Tavern slowly deflates as everyone leaves. Some stay in the inn, while still others leave. You are with the latter group. As you stroll about the town, a chilly wind blows by, bringing with it the smell of the salty sea. The streets are sticky with spilt ale (among other things). You gaze up at the sky, seeing the crystal clear blackness dotted with a torrent of shimmering diamonds. Suddenly, you hear a roar, then you see a blaze of light emanating from a fireball. The orb of fire streaks across the heavens with great speed and power. As quickly as it flew over head, it disappears past the horizon.

When you awake the next morning, you find that everyone is discussing the comet. The blind prophet Dalibor claims that it was an ill omen for all those who live in the Nin World. Others claim it was a single, mournful tear from Liffrea as he weapt for the desolution of his children's once great empire. Still others claim that it is a sign from the heavens that the Republic of Colina is on the right path. Regardless, everyone has a theory and few are shy about sharing them.

The five of you gather at the southern gate, which leads out into the wild lands beyond Emmah. A shifty looking halfling wanders up and says, "I was, eh, hired by a mutual friend to help you procure a means of, eh, conveyance to the, eh, place. You can charter a rig to take you, eh, to Jocasa. Or you can, eh, buy a rowboat and go up the, eh, Bagdan River. You could also, eh, just huff it on foot, or, eh, get some ponies. I ain't no hair off my scalp which way you, eh, go abouts your little, eh, trip."

http://th03.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2012/243/e/c/tetracco_by_elemental_elf-d5d17nh.png

Rough layout of the island. Brown is partially marshy, partially rocky land. Yellow is really marshy. Green is forest/woodland.

Jocasa is a small fishing village that has a small lighthouse, which warns passing ships about the deadly coral that has recently sprung up along the coast.

The unnamed village out in the forest is brand new, just having been founded a few months ago. The people who funded the town's creation are constantly bickering as to what the town's name should be. Regardless, it was created to serve as a half way point between Zuan, Emmah and Tielo.

Zuan is a small community of marsh farmers, people who go out into the marshlands and find exotic animals and plants.

Ermo is the second largest and oldest settlement on Tetracco. For the most part, the fortified settlement plays host to representatives from Ixen and the Elven realm of Rhyba and serves as a neutral location in which to discuss politics. The settlement is well known as a den of thieves and assassins, who earn good pay by working for the Dragonborn or the Elves (or both).

Samo is a small mining town at the base of the Northern Mountains. Many prospectors go to Samo and venture up into the hills or down into the marshland in search of the prized ore.

Tielo was founded after a ship carrying refugees from what is today known as Leonamarca (who were fleeing the invading Tieflings and the harsh conditions of their homeland. The village barely acknolodges the fact that Colina owns the island. They do not pay taxes, which has long been a bone of contention with Lady Emmah as she covets the wealth that occassionally flows through the village, on its way to Ixen (one of Leonamarca's closest allies).

FatherVenom
2012-08-30, 07:13 AM
Purple Tom

I would counsel that we take the boat to Jocasa and then pack in skirting the worst of the swamp for as long as possible. Taking a rowboat we'd have to battle the current or portage up the mountain or go the long way around. Horses would need solid ground to walk on. Fine for the forests, tricky in the swamplands. And I dislike the idea of abandoning innocent creatures to the depredations of predators when we eventually leave them, either to explore the citadel or because they can go no farther. What say you all?

KnightSteve
2012-08-30, 09:04 AM
Sindri
"Well, I agree with you on that one Tom. I have not been in a swamp bog, but I do know that they're tricky. We do not need getting a horse in there just to get its ankle broke when it slips up. Then we get tossed and take injuries, and we then have to walk the rest of the way. Sounds like a fool's plan to me."

xilokix
2012-08-30, 12:02 PM
Zuka
"Only thing horse is good for in swamp is when you need tasty food in bind."
Zuka laughs like a maniac and strides merrily at the thought of fresh horse meat.
"So, any of you weaklings actually not get crushed in fight?"

Felhammer
2012-08-30, 07:49 PM
The Halfling flashes a coy smirk, "I can get us some, eh, bogboats, large enough to ferry a, eh, horse. You want, eh, want," He counts each of you in the party, "Five?"

NotScaryBats
2012-08-30, 08:38 PM
"Can guide through swamp -- no problem. Horse loud, make dragon food. Boat or no boat -- no problem."

How do you handle ritual component costs? Am I assumed to have any components? Can I purchase the 10gp components for my Camouflage ritual?

Felhammer
2012-08-31, 01:08 AM
The halfling looks up to the Half Orc and says, "You, eh, ain't pretty or smart, are ya? Horses don't, eh, make good meat. Too gamey. 'Course, eh, you don't look like, eh, the kinda guy with a, eh, dicernin' pallet."

The Halfling then looks at Wren and smiles, "Hey, eh, sweet cheeks. I'm, eh, lookin' for a wife and you," He licks his palm and uses his wet hand as a make shift comb to slick back his greasy, black hair. He looks the Druid up and down as he smiles brightly, "got what I need." The Halfling then pokes the Barbarian's thigh with his elbow, "Big guy here knows what I mean, eh?" He looks up at the Orc, "Yeah, he knows it."

FatherVenom
2012-08-31, 01:17 PM
Purple Tom

Tom moves in front of the halfling, subtly, but only partially, screening Wren from him.

I'm not sure we've met, friend. I'm Thomas Sully, a priest in this city. Who are you?

Diplomacy check to steer the conversation away from the current topic
[roll0]

NotScaryBats
2012-08-31, 02:16 PM
"Weak mate make weak pups," Wren scoffs, unimpressed with the halfling's courtship.

xilokix
2012-08-31, 04:15 PM
Zuka
"Bahahaha! You call it gamey, I call it tasty!"
Zuka says with booming laughter as he proceeds to move onto the awkward pick up line dispensed by the halfling.
"The woman likes a real man, with bigger muscles than her!'

Felhammer
2012-08-31, 05:12 PM
The Halfling begins to laugh uncontrollably. As he holds his sides he yells, "You're a Priest! Hahaha! Whydontchya marry us! Hahahaha!" The halfling falls onto the ground and rolls around a bit. He obviously thinks his joke was hilarious.

KnightSteve
2012-08-31, 05:35 PM
Sindri
"What kind of guide is this? I would like to get there before my tootsies fall asleep from standing. Where is this boat that we are going to get on?" Sindri like the others is unimpressed with the halfing's jokes. He doesn't want to be there all day talking

FatherVenom
2012-08-31, 08:57 PM
Purple Tom

Tom's brow furrows and his outstretched hand reaches down and grasps the halfling by the front of the shirt and lifts him up into the air until he's at eye level.

The lady said no. You need to learn some manners no-name. Go book us passage to Jocasa.

Tom sets the halfling down on his feet.

Felhammer
2012-08-31, 11:24 PM
The Halfling shrugs, "You want Cob here to, eh, go to Jocasa, eh? I hear it's lovely this time of year. I will, eh, need probably about, eh, 150 silver for the lot of you. Times are rough and there ain't many ships headed to Jocasa this time of, eh, year."

The Halfling named Cob takes the sack of coins and scurries off to find a ship. It takes him nearly and hour but he finally returns, brandishing a wide grin. "I, eh, gots you a boat. Now it, eh, ain't much to look at but, eh, at least it floats." Cob leads you through the narrow, twisting streets of Emmah, all the way to the other side of town. As usual, the Port reeks of fish, grog and lonely men. The five merchant ships that have docked are a sight to behold, their large masts and thick hulls speak to the ingenuity of the Republic's shipwrights. As you pass by these immaculate vessels, you are lead to the far end of the port. There you spy a hulking mass of rickety timber someone obviously believes is sea worthy.

Cob waves to a grizzled old sailor on the boat and yells, "Ahoy, eh, Captain!"

The white haired man calls back, "Ahoy yourself you limey, two bit, coin cheatin' varmint! You said I was getting a hundred silver for this voyage but my purse only has eighty nine silver coins!"

An innocent look washes over Cob's face, "I, eh, only gave you the coins your dear, eh, passengers gave to little old me."

The white haired man hops off the side of his boat and lands on the dock with a definite thud. His portly belly flops about as he walks as fast as his peg leg will allow. He gives you each a nod and says, "Tha' name's Captain Legend Lordfinder. I hail from the verdant fields of Alistair. And this two-timing piece of filth here has cheated me out of money! Since he is your proxy, I look to you to make recompense, or else I will not take you to where you want to go."

The ship kinda looks like this:

http://www.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://ww3.hdnux.com/photos/04/33/02/1159358/3/628x471.jpg&sa=X&ei=bYpBUMWmM4bliwKE6YDgBQ&ved=0CAQQ8wc4LQ&usg=AFQjCNEC_xEOwuPL85DQg1J3NdfEXuHTQQ

FatherVenom
2012-09-01, 08:10 AM
Purple Tom
It seems my admonishment needs some reinforcement. Tom grabs the back of Cob's collar and lifts him into the air again. You had a deal with the captain here? Nice to meet you by the way Captain Legend, or do you prefer Lordfinder? I'm Thomas. Back to the matter. Cob, you were hired to find us passage. You must have already been paid to do so. Now you cheat us and the captain thrice over? I won't have it. A finder's fee could have been discussed or forgiven, but you made a promise to this captain and I'll see that you keep it. Tom gives Cob a shake when he feels a need to punctuate what he's saying. Zuka, help me hold him please? Sindri check him for our missing 50 silver and the captain's missing 11 please?

Insight check to judge the relationship between Cob & Legend; how are they reacting to each other, are they possibly working together, prior knowledge of each other, that sort of thing.
1d20+7

KnightSteve
2012-09-01, 10:37 AM
Sindri
"Yes sir, Purple Tom. I got this one sir. I will find the gold, even if he has to be stripped down. It would serve him right for the way he's been acting so far." He looks over to the halfling. "Now do we do this the easy way or the hard way? Captain, sorry for this inconvenience but we will get to the bottom of this. Don't want our first impression to come off sour." Sindri looks up at the ragged ship and its captain.
Intimidate Check[roll0]
Diplomacy check [roll1] to change his demeanor to more friendly towards us.

NotScaryBats
2012-09-01, 12:07 PM
Wren Blackblood

Wren shrugs to herself, "Was stupid plan. Dumb mate worse than weak mate." She then hops aboard the vessel and begins to poke around, inspecting the craft.

Felhammer
2012-09-01, 04:51 PM
Tom gets the feelings the two have worked together in the past but there is obviously a lot of tension between the two. As if one was swindled by the other.

Cob squirms around a bit before relents as Sindri begins his search, "Yee caught, eh, me. The Silver is in my, eh, belt pouch. That'll, eh, learn me fer trying to pull a fast one on a Cleric and, eh, hulk here. No need to, eh, escalate this to physical violence."

Felhammer
2012-09-01, 04:55 PM
Wren finds the boat is rather small with just two decks - top and bottom. The top is your basic design, mast, wheel, wood deck, etc. The ship is old and creeks as you walk upon it. The deck has not been scrubbed or handled with care in many years. Some of the planks are actually warped. Regardless, it does look sea worthy, at least for venturing to Jocasa.

FatherVenom
2012-09-01, 08:45 PM
Purple Tom

You're a cheat, but you haven't done irreparable or physical harm... so far. If we had the time I might turn you into the town guards, but they're generally a little overzealous. If your behavior continues I won't hesitate in the future. Just the larcenous silver now Sindri.

NotScaryBats
2012-09-01, 10:31 PM
"Pay shipman and get going," Wren says after her inspection, "ship take us, no problem. Wait all day for nothing, gnomes beat us to treasure."

The scrawny girl raps her staff on the deck for emphasis.

Felhammer
2012-09-02, 04:21 AM
Cob hands over his silver. The Captain takes the pouch, jingles it a few times and pockets it. He invites you on board. The ship is old and tired; the paint is peeling off in the few places that it has not been faded by the sun, the sails look droopy and tired, the wheel a bit splintery, the deck planks a bit warped and weary. Regardless, it is still a boat and it still floats. Captain Legend Lordfinder yells out, "get this tub movin' boys!" You look around expecting a crew to pop out but none appears. You look to the Captain and he stares back at you with an annoyed look. You suddenly realize why this trip was so cheap - you'd be working as well as riding. With nary a complaint, each of you set about making the boat ready to sail - tightening the sails, washing the deck, repairing various fiddly bits. The work takes about an hour and eventually, you set sail off into the western horizon. The wind is fast and at your back, the cool breeze caresses your skin, leaving little goosebumps as it drifts by.

To escape the oppressive noon-time sun, you retreat below deck. Cob had been trying to make amends by making lunch - fish stew. As you enjoy the soggy meal, you suddenly, you feel a jolt rock the boat. Then another and another and another! You run up from below deck and see something you really did not want to see - four hulking Tibura have harpooned the Heir's Legend! They are standing on large islands of coral that has infested these parts of the sea. Off to the starboard side of the ship, you see an orange shark fin slip above and below the surface of the water. Worse yet, off of the bow you spot a flowing green and blue waterfall... With arms and a face? What ever it is, it does not look like an ally!

Tom Knows: That the Tibura are from the violent undersea empire of Traturpis. They, like Orcs on land, tend to rove around in small bands, preying on easy targets. They have a preference for butchery and love to take trophies. Ixen and Syrenia have traditionally kept Traturpis in check but with all of the recent world shaking events, their focus has been else where. The Tibura have spread out like a plague, harassing ships as far north as the Kingdoms of Alistair and Lupica.

Sindri: Has heard of Tibura in ancient legends. They are a violent people who love to take trophies of their victims.

Wren Knows: That Amber Sharks are very violent and bloodthirsty creatures. The Amber Shark being commanded by the Tibura is small and thus fairly young. Regardless, it is large enough to swallow a halfling whole.

Zuka: Zuka fought a Tibura in a gladiatorial match. The Shark-man was old and tired but was still a very dangerous threat - it almost killed you.

Initiative has been rolled! You guys won!

The monster's stats can be found on the "Battle Stats" tab, located at the bottom of the map. If you impose a status effect, please not it on the monsters' or allies' entry.

MAP (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqwAHuAvhXiqdFcxSjRHVFZmYXhIYVFZOVFjcFEtT Wc&pli=1#gid=0)

FatherVenom
2012-09-02, 09:03 AM
Purple Tom

Tom sighs mightily then screws up his face in concentration. He lifts his mace into the air so the holy symbol lashed to the end of it is about shoulder height.

Let this be a lesson unto you tibura. In the name of Liffrea who did not give you this life to cause strife, BURN WITH SACRED FIRE!
A lance of white light builds in his holy symbol, arcs to his outstretched hand, the bursts forth towards the tibura closest to him.

Sacred Flame against tibura 2's reflex
[roll0]
Damage
[roll1]
If I hit, Zuka can choose to make a saving throw or gain 2 THP. (tough choice :smallwink:)

Tom watches to see the results of his attack then moves back towards the party to give them some cover should the tibura fire upon them.

OOC: Going to see how everyone else moves and then interpose myself.

KnightSteve
2012-09-02, 05:21 PM
Sindri
The gnome hates that he's in this ragged little ship with this fighting going on. The wind can blow it into the undersea he feels, but it's got to last to get them to the Citadel. He turns his attention to the Tibura off the starboard side.

[St] Vicious Mockery vs. Will (T4) [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

NotScaryBats
2012-09-03, 12:23 AM
Wren Blackblood

Wren rushes to the deck, and takes a quick look at what she's up against. She looks at the elemental and spits a fiery seed at the creature. If it hits, it will burst into a pack of fiery rats that harass the elemental.

Fire Hawk on the Elemental
[roll0] vs Reflex
on hit, [roll1] fire damage
if hit, and the elemental takes any action that provokes an opportunity attack before the start of my next turn (Ranged Attack, Move without Shifting, etc) I make the following Opportunity attack vs the Elemental
[roll2] vs Reflex
on hit, [roll3] fire damage

Felhammer
2012-09-03, 02:14 AM
Zeth and Zuka loose their turns.

The Tibura wheeze with joy as your attacks prove futile. Each of the Tibura take aim at the closest enemy and fire bloody Manta Ray barbed arrows from their short bows. The Amber Shark dives below the surface of the water, far our of sight. The Water Elemental listlessly slides along the wart and smacks into the ship. A pool of water forms on deck near Tom. For a moment, you believed you were safe. Suddenly, the pool shoots up like a volcano. The water rockets into the sky and comes crashing back down to the deck slowly forming the vaguely humanoid for you saw before.

Attack Name: Tibura 2's Bow Attack
Attack Target: Tom's AC
Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage Roll: 4 Damage

Attack Name: Tibura 1's Bow Attack
Attack Target: Wren's AC
Attack Roll: [roll1]

Attack Name: Tibura 3's Bow Attack
Attack Target: Zuka's AC
Attack Roll: [roll2]

Attack Name: Tibura 4's Bow Attack
Attack Target: Sindri's AC
Attack Roll: [roll3]

Miscellaneous rolls:
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

NotScaryBats
2012-09-03, 02:23 AM
Wren hisses at the Tibura that successfully attacked her. She repeats her attack, but this time, targets the enemy that hurt her.

Fire Hawk on the Tibura that attacked me.
[roll0] vs Reflex
on hit, kill the minion.
No move, no minor

Felhammer
2012-09-03, 02:29 AM
The Tibura is blasted away with fire. He slips on the coral and slowly sinks below the water's surface.

NotScaryBats
2012-09-03, 02:46 AM
The druid then pivots and blasts another off the coral-dwelling creatures.

Use the AP you just gave me to target the other guy on my side of the ship
[roll0] vs Reflex
on hit, kill the minion

FatherVenom
2012-09-03, 08:05 AM
Purple Tom

Tom times the incoming arrow perfectly and knocks the missile out of the air with his mace. He gasps in surprise as the elemental forms in front of him, salty scent attacking his nostrils.

Let's see if you can even be hurt, foul creature. I shall brand you with smiting flame!

A holy sign in glowing white light traces out upon Tom's mace head. He swings his mace symbol side forward at the elemental.
Smiting Symbol against the elemental
Zuka gains 3 THP and +2 to all defenses until the end of my next turn
[roll0]
[roll1]

Not sure of the elemental's intelligence, Tom stands his ground, brandishes his mace, and yells at the elemental. Face me creature! Stay behind me friends. I'll try to hold him here, but I could use some help Zuka.

KnightSteve
2012-09-03, 10:45 AM
Sindri

As the elemental moves in on the boat, Sindri decides to try to focus on him. He pulls his wand out and shoots him with a spell.

[Mo] to N14
[St] Blunder vs Ref (elemental) [roll0]
Damage:[roll1] & you slide the target 2 squares. Tom can make the free MBA as we slide the elemental (+5 to the attack).

KnightSteve
2012-09-03, 10:54 AM
didn't see i had an action point. Here's that.

Vicious Mockery [roll0]
Target: Elemental Will
Damage: [roll1]

Possible off-turn Action: Fade Away: Trigger: You take damage. Effect: You are invisible until you attack or until the end of your next turn.

FatherVenom
2012-09-03, 10:59 AM
Purple Tom

As the elemental slides away from Tom he yells after it. Come back here beast! In his frustration, he swings his mace at the escaping elemental.

Melee basic attack against the elemental
[roll0]
[roll1]

Felhammer
2012-09-04, 12:52 AM
Wren kills two of the Tibura, while Sindri and Tom tag-team the Elemental. The remaining Tibura take aim at Zuka and Tom with their mighty bows. Meanwhile, the Ambershark bursts out of the water, leans over and tries to take a bite out of the poor bard. As the shark is slowly pulled back down by the force of gravity, his head smashes against the railing of the boar, shattering it like a house of cards. Cobb screams like a little girl and runs below deck, while the Captain yells, "Yar, kill that blasted shark!"

With his arms spread wide, the Elemental twirls his lower torso around like a miniature, water tornado. Suddenly he launches a cannonball sized blob of water at Tom, Zeth and Zuka. The Tiefling is smacked in the throat by the water ball. His whole body is thrust hard against the mast, leaving a clear - and deep - indentation. He groans as he falls forward like a slab of cold meat. His body lies there, motionless. You watch for any sign of breathing or movement but none comes. An eerie silence falls upon the battlefield as you realize Zeth has died.

Attack Name: Tibura 2's Bow Attack
Attack Target: Tom's AC
Attack Roll: [roll0]

Attack Name: Tibura 3's Bow Attack
Attack Target: Zuka's AC
Attack Roll: [roll1]

Attack Name: Elemental's Water Cannon attack
Attack Target: Zuka's Fort
Attack Roll: [roll2]
Damage Roll: [roll3]
Effect: You are pushed two squares. Make an acrobatics check to avoid tumbling over the side of the boat.

Attack Target: Tom's Fort
Attack Roll: [roll4]
Damage Roll: [roll5]
Effect: You are pushed two squares.

Attack Target: Zuka's Fort
Attack Roll: [roll6]
Damage Roll: [roll7]
Effect: You are pushed two squares. Make an acrobatics check to avoid tumbling over the side of the boat.

Attack Name: Amber Shark's Bite
Attack Target: Sindri's AC
Attack Roll: [roll8]
Damage Roll: [roll9]

Tom and Sindri gain a free Action Point to make up for Zuka's lack of posting and Zeth's death.

NotScaryBats
2012-09-04, 01:36 AM
Wren continues to attempt to burn the peripheral bowmen to cinders.
She fails.

Shift 1 sq up, to N12
Standard: Fire Hawk on T2
[roll0] vs Reflex
on hit, kill the mininon

KnightSteve
2012-09-04, 10:41 AM
Sindri
Sindri takes a step away from the edge so the shark cannot knock him out so easily. He shoots a spell at the shark and then another at the elemental

[Mo] shift west to M14.
*[Mi] Majestic Word- Target can spend a surge & gain 4 HP from my CHA mod. Can slide a square also.
[St] Misdirected Mark against Shark (ref) [roll0]
Damage [roll1] Effect: Shark is marked by Tom until end of my next turn.
AP: Vicious Mockery vs Elemental (will) [roll2]
Damage [roll3] psychic damage Effect: takes -2 penalty to attack rolls UEMNT.

*Can't tell if anyone needs a healing, so if no one does this doesn't happen. If you do take it.

FatherVenom
2012-09-04, 05:51 PM
Purple Tom

Tom's eyes pop wide as Zeth's body falls lifeless to the deck. He throws his head back releasing a scream of rage and pain. Momentarily distracted, the elemental's gush of water pushes him back, but he shrugs past it as if it were a light rain. Tom continues screaming, tears flow from his half-crazed eyes, as his mace blurs in a flurry of motion. The mace head catches another arrow from the air and it explodes in a spray of driftwood as Tom charges to meet the creature that killed his companion.

Avenging Flame against the elemental's AC

[roll1] 5 ongoing fire on hit, if the elemental attacks he may not roll a save that turn, miss for half

Zeth's death pushes Tom over the edge, increasing his speed for an extra attack and the whirling mace shields the allies by his side.

Weapon of Divine Protection against the elemental's AC
[roll2]
[roll=Damage]1d8+1d6+5 UEOMNT adjacent allies gain +2 to all defenses

xilokix
2012-09-04, 08:02 PM
Zuka attempts to maintain his stability
acrobatics check [roll0]

Felhammer
2012-09-05, 05:48 PM
Zuka braces himself against the rail, which prevents him from flying overboard.

Felhammer
2012-09-05, 07:27 PM
Tom's mighty spell boils the Elemental into a cloudy mist of water vapor. Having seen the sheer power of their prey, the Tibura decide it is best to escape with their lives than risk dieing senselessly. They dive below the water out of sight. The Amber Shark follows its masters under the sea.

A relieved look washes over Captain Legend's face, "That was a close one! Been attacked by Tibura many times before, this is the only time I've seen them turn tail and run off!"

Cobb skulks back from the bowels of the ship and acts like he never left, "I, eh, agree captain. We're, eh, lucky to have survived. I musta scared them off with, eh, my devilish good looks."

The Captain groans audibly. As he does so, his eyes fall upon the Tiefling whose life had been snuffed out, "Sad that. Killed in his prime. Does any one know how them Tiefs bury their dead?"

NotScaryBats
2012-09-05, 08:03 PM
Wren dusts herself off, unharmed save where the arrow grazed her. She approaches the dead Tiefling with the others, bending to examine his effects. She attempts to remove his pouches and weapons.

Felhammer
2012-09-05, 08:21 PM
Wren finds a Kopesh, damaged leather armor, an adventurer's kit, theives tools, fifteen shuriken, [roll0] gold, a pouch full of 200 silver, a bottle of Kamiri wine and chain necklace with a golden goat idol attached.

The Tieflings of Kamir are not native to Amalga. They worship a trinity of three animals - a Goat, a Lion and a Dragon. No one knows if the Tiefling gods are real but Kamiri holy warriors seem to channel divine power. This is quite odd, given that until recently, there was only one being capable of that feat - the God-Lord Liffrea.

KnightSteve
2012-09-05, 09:03 PM
Sindri
"As much as I love gold and shiny things, I do not think that is we handle a dead person. Especially when they are a fallen comrade. You might want to try to be a little sneakier next time. And captain, I do not know how the Tieflings bury their dead, but we could do the burial pyre." With that Sindri turns away from Wren and towards the captain and Cobb the cowardly halfling.

NotScaryBats
2012-09-05, 09:24 PM
"Is no fallen comrade -- just meat," Wren holds up the dead arm and lets it drop to illustrate her point. "Is cycle. No waste. Burn goods, fire eat, throw in ocean, fish eat, we use, we eat." There is no sadism or greed in her eyes, just pragmatism, as though explaining that the sky is blue.

FatherVenom
2012-09-05, 11:45 PM
Purple Tom

Tom falls to his knees on deck and continues sobbing for five minutes, completely unresponsive to any inquiries.

Finally composing himself he gets up. Will honor Zeth's memory and handle his remains as he would have wished. We will not just dump his remains into the ocean. That would likely bring more tibura. His last wish was to complete this quest and so we will use what he has to give to help us carry on. Keep the weapons Zuka? Most of us can't use them but they're rare and may prove useful. Here, bring me the coin. Tom divides the coin into five even stacks of one gold piece and forty silver pieces. He slips one stack into his money pouch. Here friends, come take a share. No, Cobb, not you. You did nothing to earn this and Zeth was not your companion. This last stack will help cover our group's further expenses. Tom wraps the last stack up in a cloth and stores it in his pack. He holds out the bottle for Captain Legend. Here, captain. Sorry about your ship. Do you have an empty cask on board? A cask full of sea water will protect Zeth's body until we put to shore. Tom handles the idol last. Humph, pagan artifact. We'll want to get rid of this before someone sees us with it.

History & Religion checks for tiefling burial procedure
[roll0]
[roll1]

Felhammer
2012-09-06, 12:16 AM
Cobb whimpers ever so softly as he watches Tom divide the money and becomes quite flummoxed and red-in-the-face when he doesn't get a share. When mention comes of helping the Tiefling, Cobb is the first to volunteer.

Tom knows that Kamiri Tieflings prefer to be mummified using linen wrappings that have been anointed in holy oils. From there, they are buried in a family tomb (preferably) or in a communal catacomb (less preferably). To be buried any where else is blasphemous. However, if a Priest of their heathen religion performs a holy rite, the body may be burned and its ashes sent back to Kamir.

Felhammer
2012-09-06, 01:07 AM
As you mourn for poor Zeth, you suddenly hear a woman scream "HELP!" at the top of her wee little lungs. You cast your eyes about for where the scream originated, then you see them - there on the beach stand two women and a man are bound by thick ropes. Eight ornery looking Tieflings, armed to the teeth, surround the captives. One of the Tiefs yells in his native tongue as he runs his long sword straight through the woman's chest. The Tiefling cackles as he watches the woman cough up scarlet red blood...

Initiative has been rolled and you have won (all players) BUT you need not attack. Talking with blood thirsty brigands can work.

FatherVenom
2012-09-06, 01:48 AM
Purple Tom

Tom's eyes blaze. NO MORE MURDER! He takes a step back then makes a running leap off the deck towards shore.

Athletics check for my jump
[roll0]

Felhammer
2012-09-06, 01:57 AM
Tom leaps off the side of the ship and narrowly avoids the deep water.

FatherVenom
2012-09-06, 02:21 AM
Purple Tom

Divide my athletics check by 5 for the running start and I get 2 squares of movement above the water.

Tom's leap from the deck takes him within reach of a dry patch of land. He charges the closest tiefling but shouts out his word of healing before closing. ENDURE!

Healing word on the perforated woman
Surge value + [roll0] if it matters she gets a +2 to her next attack roll before the end of my next turn.
Charge attack against warrior 3's AC
[roll1]
[roll2]
This attack is non-lethal.

Hawk7915
2012-09-06, 08:59 AM
Alex takes a deep breath, stifling a scream as Sasha is gored. He sees a warrior leap from the ship, and figures this is as good a chance as any. In the calmest, most collected voice he can muster, he says...

"Ah, our allies have arrived. You were wise to keep us as barter; they are a bloodthirsty and dangerous lot. Harming her though...most unwise. You had best release us now and let us tend to her wounds. Three versus eight was lopsided, but I can assure you if our friends on the ship get their way, you'll all die. It doesn't have to end like that. Let us go, and I'll see to it they let you all walk away."

Bluff check [roll0]

I'm new to 4E, but it looks like Acrobatics is used to slip out of bonds now. Let's try that, just in case "Plan A" fails spectacularly :smalltongue:. If it's thievery, the bonus is the same; if it is Athletics, subtract 4 from my result.

Acrobatics check [roll1]

Felhammer
2012-09-06, 09:44 AM
Tom's prayer is delivered just in the nick of time. Though the blade is still sticking out of her chest, her whole body is slowly coming back to life as divine energy re-kindles her mortal coil. The warrior that Tom charged is caught completely unawares by the viscous assault and is knocked unconscious.

Meanwhile the Tieflings scoff at Alexander but he is able to twist out of his rope bindings.

Escaping is a standard action.

KnightSteve
2012-09-06, 10:13 AM
Sindri
Following Tom but taking a little more time since he's not as agile, Sindri slowly climbs over the edge of the ship and heads to shore. He looks at the "prisoners" and then the tieflings. Maybe he can talk some sense into these Tiefs. "Oi, why do you have these two tied up like a hog? Let's talk about this before any blood is shed. We've already experienced a loss today, one of your kin, and we would like to not see anymore Tieflings go to your afterlife. Maybe we can work out a way to keep them alive and make you happy."

Diplomacy Roll: [roll0]

Haberdashery
2012-09-06, 11:24 AM
The sound of metal piercing flesh and bone rang in her ears, and she felt the woman's blood running down her back. The tieflings stood tall and grinning, those leering faces staring back down at her and Alexander beside her, promising the same fate to them should they call out or make any sudden movements.

Aya's face was stone, her eyes blank and motionless, trying as hard as she could to regulate her breathing, which was threatening to break whatever calm she was attempting to keep.

Don't panic. Please don't panic. She urged herself. If you're going to die, at least don't give them the pleasure of seeing you scream. Aya made no movements, though the bindings cut deep into her wrists and were tight about her middle. The Library put its faith in you, don't disappoint them. Please. Her breathing was growing all the more difficult to contain as Sasha beside her began to sink into her bindings, the last bits of her breath escaping her lips.

And then there was a splash, and a sudden yell, and then all was a blur. When the world came back into focus, Sasha had choked a ragged breath into her lungs, and Alexander was shedding ropes from his wrists, and there was a great bear of a man leveling a mace at the brigands, a felled tiefling at his feet. Her mind was a whirl of activity, and before she had a moment to think, she was echoing Alexander beside her.

"They're not our allies, but they most certainly mean you harm if you continue to keep us bound." Her tongue was thick in her mouth and her throat was dry, but her voice somehow managed to crack out of her mouth. "You're wearing shabby armor and wielding shabby weapons, and they're armed to the teeth. Bravado will simply turn this into a massacre."

Using Knack for Success as a minor action to give me a +4 to my Diplomacy check.
[roll0]

NotScaryBats
2012-09-06, 02:44 PM
Wren scrunches up her face, peering at the scene before her. She attempts to intuit the motivation here.

[roll0] insight check

Felhammer
2012-09-06, 10:17 PM
One of the Tiefling Warriors, clad in blood red armor and wielding a vicious looking long sword calls back to the Bard, "հեթանոսներուն. Ինչպես եք համարձակվում խոսել ինձ ազնիվ ու հավատարիմ զինվորն է մեծ սողուն." He appears to be quite angry and more than a bit insulted you - a non-Kamiri - would even address him, let alone insult his honor.

The leader of the vile band of rust-skinned enemies swings his head away from the dieing girl and to stares straight at Aya. His face grows pale as he listens to her words. He takes a big gulp, as if swallowing his pride. His otherwise deep voice is filled with coughs and high pitch squeaks as he whispers, "I agree. You are interlopers. They are warriors. Bargain for peace. We leave. You stay." His thick Kamiri accent makes him difficult to understand but you believe he wants you to act as an intermediary to cease hostilities between the Tieflings and the new group.

Wren gets the feeling that this is all a series of misunderstandings leading to more misunderstandings. She also notices that the Kamiri are clad in formal armor and do not seem to be taking to the battlefield with the same gusto that she has heard Tiefling warriors are renown for.

Haberdashery
2012-09-06, 10:36 PM
The accent was very thick, and his speech was broken and hard to understand; it took Aya a moment to fully comprehend what he was asking her to do. She nodded her head, "Very well."

Aya turned to the side, as far as her bindings would allow her to do, and fixed her slate-colored eyes on the tall, imposing figure of Purple Tom, and the gnome that had joined him on the beach. The style of his robes and the holy symbol hanging from the mace he was holding staunchly marked him as a man of the cloth, and Aya squinted at him for a moment.

"I assume I can call you Father." She started, her voice carrying across the distance between them, trying to force the words that refused flow easily. "The Kamiri say that they do not want any more violence. They simply want to leave unmolested."

Aya swallowed hard, trying to breathe properly against the bindings. "Letting them leave would not excuse what they've done, but slaughtering them would do little good either. Enough people have died today already."

Felhammer
2012-09-06, 10:49 PM
The other Tiefling warriors nod in agreement. The brutish looking ones in the back don't appear to be ready to call it quits but they seem to be waiting for their leader's orders. The Tiefling Leader calls out to Tom and other others, "I am Kanach Khram Ach of Kamir. We have peace?"

Hawk7915
2012-09-06, 11:18 PM
Alex regains his feet and sighs. "You earned us peace, Aya; I'll follow your lead although I wish we could bring justice to the lost crewmembers. Let's get out of here, we need to get Sasha onto the ship and get her some rest. Thanks for the help, Fath...TOM?!?!"

NotScaryBats
2012-09-07, 12:16 AM
Wren makes her way to the beach much the same way as her fellows. Unless stopped, she walks to the bound prisoners. "Is peace," she growls, squinting at the foreign humanoids. "Take Zeth. Go."

Unless stopped, the scrawny druid dissolves into a swarm of rats, which bite through and destroy the rope holding the three captives.

Felhammer
2012-09-07, 12:42 AM
Zuka brings Zeth's body to the beech and lays it on the ground, near the warriors.

The Tieflings surround their fallen kin. Kanach Khram Ach begins to sing a traditional Kamiri dirge:

"Այս գիշեր, այս գիշեր,
Յուրաքանչյուր գիշերեւ,
Հրդեհի եւ շարժակազմ եւ մոմ,
Եւ ստանալ քո հոգին:

Երբ դու է գալիս հեռու անցյալում
To վրնջոց դու գալիս Վերջինը

Եթե ​​դու երբեւէ տուեցիր, եւ,
քեզ ներքեւ եւ դնում.

Եթե ​​դուք տվել
The խայթել քեզ համար դատարկ.

Վրնջոց, երբ դու կարող է անցնել,
Ինչպես երկկայմնավ սոսկում ես գալիս վերջին.

սկսած երկկայմնավ ահ երբ դու կարող է անցնել,
քավարան են կրակի վրայ գալիս է.

Եթե ​​դու երբեւէ տուեցիր միս կամ օգտագործում,
Հրդեհը երբեք դարձնելու քեզ նեղանալ.

Եթե ​​մսամթերքի կամ խմել դու անպիտանծ փուչ
մարդ տվեց Նանե, Հրդեհը տեղի
այրել քեզ համար դատարկ.

Այս գիշեր, այս գիշեր,
Ամեն գիշեր ու all,
Հրդեհի եւ շարժակազմ եւ մոմ թեթեւ,
Եւ ստանալ քո հոգին"

The song is stirring yet somber. Some of the rust-colored men even begin to weep. As the song nears its conclusion, all of the living Tieflings raise their arms up and yell, "Այնպես որ, ասել, որ մենք հաւատարիմ!" This is a common phrase Kamiris use, it means "So say we the faithful." The brutish Tieflings then delicately wrap Zeth in a white silken sack and hoist the body on to one of their kin's shoulders. The seven men then meander out into the densely forested swampland, the plant growth swallowing them like a porous green-and-black wall.

With the Tieflings gone, Cobb (the cowardly halfling) jumps off the ship and rushes over to greet the recently unbound newcomers. With a cheeky grin he says, "Hey how you, eh, doin'? Why are yous, eh, out here, eh? Hey!" The Halfling stares at Aya, "Ain't I, eh, seen you some where, eh, before?" He licks his palm and slicks back his greasy black mullet. He gives the beautiful Half-Elf a wink as he says, "I recently came, eh, into a bit of a, eh, fortune. Hows about, eh, we buy an island and, eh, get hitched? You'd, eh, make a good wife, probably. Maybe." He flashes his trade mark grin at you, fully expecting his pick up line to work.

Haberdashery
2012-09-07, 01:20 AM
That was something Aya had never seen before; the waifish woman disintegrated into a veritable carpet of beady-eyed rats, and began to chew straight through her bindings. A shiver wracked her body as the little squirming things crawled over her, and the moment she was free she sprang forward, whirled about, and landed heavily in the sand. With wide eyes, she followed the rats' every twitching movement, and snaking tails, and the little flashes in their tiny red eyes.

Such was her discomfort at watching the little things undulate about that the funeral rites that the tieflings performed went entirely forgotten by the half-elf, who simply continued to stare at the rats that had once been a woman. It was only the sudden leering presence of the greasy halfling, and the sudden emergence of his stench, that Aya tore her eyes away, and the rest of reality came back into focus.

And then he asked her the unthinkable.

Aya simply blinked at the funny little halfling, with his wide grin and slicked hair. "...pardon me?" Was all she could manage to reply after a long, uncomfortable pause.

Felhammer
2012-09-07, 01:26 AM
The little Halfling puts crosses his arms and says, "You, eh, know. Married, two, eh, people, holy matrimony, et cetera. We'll, eh, buy a little island and, eh, you know..." Cobb looks you up and down and says, "put some buns in, eh, that, eh, oven. Trust me I'm a good, eh, guy. Rich, famous and, eh, powerful. I'd, eh, be your, eh, white knight and you'd, eh, be my fair, eh, maiden. Together forever and, eh, forever."

Haberdashery
2012-09-07, 01:34 AM
One of Aya's dark eyebrows started to raise. "You want to put buns in my oven." She repeated, nonplussed. The halfling did not happen to look like a baker, and Aya had never owned an oven in her life. Not that he could have known even if she had.

Felhammer
2012-09-07, 01:40 AM
The Halfling's eyes light up with excitement! "YES! I want to, eh, put lots of buns, eh, in your oven! I want, eh, you to wear your apron high! I'm, eh, glad we're, eh, thinkin' along the, eh same lines here."

FatherVenom
2012-09-07, 01:44 AM
Purple Tom

Tom continues to seethe throughout the ritual, in fact it seems to incense him further. His anger robs him of speech until the tieflings vanish, at which point he slings his mace.

Finally. Hello Alexander. What are you doing out here? Who are your companions? I'll look to your injured friend's health, shall I? Tom moves over to inspect the woman.

Heal check on Sasha
[roll0]
If she's too injured to move safely Tom picks her up in his arms & carries her.

Come, let us talk on the ship. Clearly this place is too dangerous to linger.

Tom's eyes flare upon hearing the halfling's words as he makes his way back up on deck. His anger spills over.
THAT'S ENOUGH COBB. I WILL NOT TOLERATE YOUR RUDE BEHAVIOR FURTHER! Captain, these people are coming with us. No, you will not get additional fares; we were already going in this direction. If you were planning on supplying us with meals while aboard you will be compensated for the extra mouths. If it is you who ferries us back to Emmah on our return voyage you will of course have fares from them then. Don't push me on this. I'm not in the mood to argue. Tom stalks below deck.

Haberdashery
2012-09-07, 01:46 AM
Somehow...Aya was starting to get the impression that the halfling was not a baker. In fact, Aya was pretty sure that buns in ovens had nothing to do with baked goods at all. Her eyebrow remained raised as she watched the halfling very closely, and a thick, heavy silence followed. Aya straightened her glasses on her nose.

"Um...no thank you."

Felhammer
2012-09-07, 02:01 AM
Fearing Tom's wrath, Cobb hides behind Aya's legs and pretends to not exist.

The bronze-skinned, curly haired woman named Sasha was brought back to the land of the living thanks to Tom. She is, however, unconscious. The Tiefling's blade did quite a number on her. As you inspect her wound, you believe she will bare a mangled scar for the rest of her life. However, she is alive and will recover. You take her below deck and lay her on a cot. Sasha's medium length, dark brown pony tail flops over the side of the cot and dangles like a cat's tail. You inspect her items and find a prayer book, as well as a medallion symbolizing the Angel Erga. Her earrings are large loops, crafted in a dream catcher style. From what you understand, such apparel is popular in the far off Kingdom of Wesberania. Her leather armor is adorned with feathers, most likely from some sort of owl or hawk. She wields a simple oak spear with the name "Erga" carved at one end. Inside one of her pockets, you find a picture of a storm cloud hovering over an island eerily similar in shape to Tetracco.

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZbMBewPa1hy3NuveI-DCeAx73cdg-Yz3szKdJxgdaXOg3psg6zA

This picture looks similar to how I am imagining Sasha, except with leather armor.

FatherVenom
2012-09-07, 02:10 AM
Purple Tom

History check on Wesberania
[roll0]

Felhammer
2012-09-07, 02:23 AM
Wesberania is the northern most of Adeland's splinter-kingdoms. In many ways, the rule of Adeland's King never really reached that far north. Tax collectors would travel up every third year and extort the peasant populous for every spare coin they had, every surplus crop they produced. The land was constantly overrun by monstrous humanoids such as Gnolls, Orcs, Trolls and the like. One day, the Duke of Wesberania simply refused to pay taxes. The King of Adeland could have cared less for he had bigger fish to fry. Just like that, Wesberania became free. The Duke requested the Vater give him the right to crown himself King. The Vater heartily agreed, hoping the title would give the Duke (now King) the resolve to protect his people. To a large extent it did. The King and his Azure Pauldron Knights pushed the monstrous hordes back across the mountains and secured the Kingdom's borders.

In general Wesberania is a sparsely populated, heavily forested realm. Its most important exports are gold, arctic bass and animal furs. Many Dwarves from the diaspora have settled in Wesberania, preferring the low taxes, harsh mountain clime and the sheer amount of wealth that flows from the kingdom's natural resources. The Humans who are native to the area have welcomed and embraced the Dwarves, which stands in marked contrast to almost every other realm.

KnightSteve
2012-09-07, 10:22 AM
Sindri
After following Tom and the others back to the boat, Sindri takes a moment to recollect what just happened. He takes a moment of silence for his fallen comrade who got to be buried with his people and their traditional rights. Sindri shakes his head at the sad attempts by Cobb again.

Hawk7915
2012-09-07, 10:47 AM
Alexander stays stonily silent during the funeral proceedings; as they end he quietly checks his bag and tucks his blades back onto his belt. He rolls his eyes at Cobb's attempt, and cracks a small smile at Tom's retort. As they move onto the ship, Alex speaks up again.

"I've only just met my companions. We were all in Emmah and were recruited by a dwarf named Noveno to explore some ruins of an old fifth world citadel in the heart of the island. Our captain ran aground of a reef, unfortunately. The tieflings came, slaughtered the crew, and took us three prisoner.

The angels must have been looking out for me, for you to be nearby to save us. What about you? I didn't think you left town often. What are you doing out here, and who are your allies?

xilokix
2012-09-07, 10:55 AM
Hey guys, sorry for my absence the last few days, between computer trouble and business, I haven't had the ability to come on. D:
"The best a warrior can hope for is to be buried in their homeland after going down in a fight."

Haberdashery
2012-09-07, 11:33 AM
Gathering her things that had been taken from her by the marauders--her sword and sword belt, her heater shield, and the bundle that contained her armor--Aya took to her feet and hurried after the folk that had saved her life.

In the bowels of the creaky little ship, she found the burly priest towering over a bed in which he had laid Sasha. Her back straight, her eyes resolute, Aya cleared her throat uneasily before addressing the big man with the fiery temper. "I didn't get a chance to thank you for your timely intervention."

FatherVenom
2012-09-07, 11:35 AM
Purple Tom

Hold on, did you say Noveno? What did he send you to get? And before we set sail, what happened to the ship & crew's bodies? Is there salvage we might use? Burial rites we should attend to?

NotScaryBats
2012-09-07, 12:39 PM
Wren scoffs openly at all this 'funeral rite' business. She has resumed her human form and begins to rest on the boat.

FatherVenom
2012-09-07, 12:55 PM
Purple Tom

When Tom speaks he cannot keep the stress from his voice.
I'm glad I was able to help and that everyone is healthy. I would hear your story. Were you also hired by Noveno?

Haberdashery
2012-09-07, 01:03 PM
Aya nodded her head slowly, her eyebrows knitting together. "You were too, then?"

KnightSteve
2012-09-07, 01:14 PM
Sindri
"Yes, us as well. He also sent some Rifen gnomes before us, so it seems to me like there may be even more than that. He is a sneaky, little fat dwarf. I will have some words for him the next time I see him." Sindri clenches his fist together like he is going to punch something. But that lasts about three seconds, and he's back to being cheerful. "Haha, I win fights by being smarter not stronger. That Noveno couldn't outwit me if I had my brain half removed."

Haberdashery
2012-09-07, 01:22 PM
Aya's face took on a troubled frown. "He contacted the Library promising volumes of lost history just waiting to be found, and all he wanted in return were trifling weapons." She twisted her mouth. "Alexander said the same thing, relatively. I'm beginning to think that the Library perhaps was right in finding the dwarf suspicious and untrustworthy."

Hawk7915
2012-09-07, 03:52 PM
"If we're the third group to be sent and no one has heard from the first, I think there is definitely more going on than we can see now. I'm half tempted to go back and acquire more information from the grubby little dwarf, but the waters appear to be too treacherous to do more travel than absolutely necessary."

FatherVenom
2012-09-07, 04:46 PM
Purple Tom

Well Noveno's actions are certainly suspicious, but it may be that it all comes back to greed. Still, it's a lot of money to be throwing away, especially on expeditions he has little faith in succeeding. And if he sent three expeditions he's likely to have sent even more. Half the island could be trekking towards these ruins by the time he's done and be lost or even just gone for weeks. Maybe that's his true intention. Sending all these daring folk away from the city could be prelude to invasion, but that's a long shot I think. And why different expeditions for different items? If he were really trying to cast his net so wide you'd think he'd put bounties on all the items and hope that any of them had success. I think that our best course is to complete our missions, but do some digging into this Noveno before we hand over the items he sent us to retrieve. What details did he give you about these weapons?

Tom starts pacing staring into space, but his eyes regularly flit back to check on Sasha. I wouldn't worry too much about the previous expedition not reporting back yet. They only left recently and it's an arduous journey through that swamp. The church sent me to accompany this expedition. It bothers me that they didn't have enough faith to just send one of us without at least informing us of the others. I fear for Isaac's safety as well if the church is sending us on trips none of the leadership thinks likely to succeed, unless they're just hoping to get a presence to the site first to lay claim to salvage rights officially, for all the good that would do. Forgive my manners, it has been a troubling day. This is Sindri; a singer from our city, Wren; she is apparently a diplomat for our city's rat population, and Zuka; who has not shared details of his life, but is a mighty warrior. You've met Cobb, though I'm unclear why he's still with us. Why are you tagging along Cobb? And what of you all? What are your stories? And back to my earlier questions, is the whole ship and your casualties lost?

Tom stops pacing, standing over the hurt warrior, but he smiles and faces the newcomers, genuinely interested in them.

Felhammer
2012-09-07, 06:17 PM
Cobb sheepishly says, "I'm here to, eh, make sure you get to the, eh, swamp land. That's what I, eh, was paid to, eh, do. The whole time while he speaks, he goes out of his way to avoid eye contact with Tom.

Haberdashery
2012-09-07, 06:29 PM
"Me?" The crow-haired maiden pointed at herself. "I'm Aya Marlow. I'm just a scholar. Like I said, my Library tasked me with discovering if Novelo's word would prove true."

She managed a flat smile, and bowed slightly. "Ah, a pleasure to meet you all. Though..." She turned her head back to the towering priest, "...I don't think I caught your name."

FatherVenom
2012-09-07, 06:45 PM
Purple Tom

Great googily moogily does that get an insight check
[roll0]

Oh, silly me, I forgot to introduce myself. We'll attribute it to my surprise at seeing a friendly face this far afield. I'm Thomas Sully. I'm a priest in Emmah. The Library you say? Never thought to try to get in there. Not much for stuffy solemnity. Tom cracks his usual big smile and sticks his big hand out for a shake. What's it like in there?

Felhammer
2012-09-07, 06:47 PM
Tom gets the definite feeling that Cobb is - as expected - holding back information.

Haberdashery
2012-09-07, 06:52 PM
Aya places her hand in Tom's, and returns a smile that vastly pales in comparison to the one shining on the priest's face.

"Quiet." She replied hesitantly. "Very quiet." Aya wrinkled her nose, and tugged at one of her ears. "But it's nice." Her tone changed, like a candle flame suddenly being lit in a dark room. "And there are more books inside than you could ever read in your life."

Hawk7915
2012-09-07, 07:06 PM
Alex smiles at hearing the excitement in Aya's voice, and waits a moment before speaking up. "Tom, I'm sure the church wouldn't send any of its members into harms way without good reason. Still, if things are as dire as they appear to be, it wouldn't surprise me to know we have a full contingent of knights somewhere at our back, my beloved brother amongst them. I'm not sure what he's up to, to be honest. I've been on the road for quite a while, out on business. Didn't get back into Emmah more than a few days ago, and departed immediately on this expedition.

We did lose the whole ship, I'm afraid. Myself, Aya, and Sasha are the lone survivors. Pity we couldn't glorify Hark and punish those tieflings, although I agree with Aya that there had been enough bloodshed for one day."

FatherVenom
2012-09-07, 07:07 PM
Purple Tom

Books are nice. Certainly read enough in my time, but I'll take a night of good conversation over a book any day. Well it is my pleasure to meet you.

Tom's smile lessens and his eyes turn stern along with his tone. Out with it Cobb. What are you hiding? I promise, if it doesn't endanger anyone you won't be in trouble with me for being earnest, though I might disapprove of any underhanded motives. But I promise, nothing bad will happen to you.

I hate to leave this to a roll, but I figure it's contested.
[roll0]

Felhammer
2012-09-07, 07:12 PM
Cobb responds rather sheepishly, "Well... I was... That is to say... Noveno... He... Uhh... Well, he, eh, doesn't... Entirely, eh, trust you lot. So he wanted, eh, me to," The Hafling retrieves a small, four inch, chessnut-colored wand from his back pocket, "use this, eh, on you when you returned to the, eh, boat. I dunno what it, eh, is but... Noveno paid me a, eh, sizable fortune to, eh, ensure that I used this, eh, on all those who came back from the Citadel."

Haberdashery
2012-09-07, 07:31 PM
There's an uneasiness in Aya's stomach as she stares at the wand in Cobb's hand. Such a little thing, and yet who knows what could be stored inside it.

Aya squinted down at Cobb, watching his face twitch.

Does he really know nothing about what the wand does?
[roll0]
Edit: Might as well, with that roll.

Hawk7915
2012-09-07, 08:05 PM
"Oh, maybe it's a healing wand. Make sure we're all healthy and fit for the return journey. Anyone with a bit more insight into the ways of magic want to take a look?"

FatherVenom
2012-09-07, 08:30 PM
Purple Tom

Tom scowls down at the wand, but his smile persists. Clearly this wand is meant to be used with ill intent, either to waylay or harm us. Why would a merchant commission expeditions but sabotage them before they can return?

It seems strange to me that a merchant would not trust in the honor of a man of the cloth. Do you know what it does Cobb? Do you know why you're supposed to use it?

KnightSteve
2012-09-07, 09:22 PM
Sindri
"Let me see it. Maybe my knowledge of wands can be of some help. Cobb, I will not harm you after finding out the source of power inside this wand. You have my word." The gnome puts his fist over his chest as he has seen many warriors do.

Arcana check for the type of wand we got here. [roll0]

Felhammer
2012-09-07, 10:16 PM
The inscription is weathered and barley visible, you can hardly make it out. You walk into the light and examine it once more. You suddenly realize that it is written in Old Elvish. Though you do not speak the language, you know enough of the writing system to decipher three words: Porth - Gwyn Garreg. You have heard of Gwyn Garreg before, it was a powerful eldritch monument that served as a beacon to help guide Old Elves [Elves native to the Elemental Slough] to the Ninth World and join their kin. The monument was destroyed by Ade the Great [founder of Adeland] after he conquered the Elvish realms. The ruins of the monument can be found deep inside what is now Kamir.

Haberdashery
2012-09-07, 11:27 PM
As Sindri spoke the phrase aloud, the words sounded vaguely familiar to Aya; they sounded like something her father had once referenced offhandedly. She furrowed her brow, and the memory flooded back to her, rippling in her head.

"The wand is a teleportation device." She said aloud, her eyes still narrowed in thought, "It will teleport those it is directed at to a place called White Stone in Elven. So...Novelo tasks us with retrieving these magical artifacts for him, and then would have Cobb send us half the world away once we have brought them back."

Hawk7915
2012-09-07, 11:33 PM
Alex nods at Aya. "Well, I suppose it could be worse. At least it doesn't disintegrate us. Pure greed seems like the motive of the day then, good call Tom. What do you say we do with this now that we know about his attempted attack?"

KnightSteve
2012-09-08, 12:20 AM
Sindri

"A teleportation wand to another place that we could not get back from without alot of effort? Wow, Noveno really is a greedy dwarf. We may have to look at his family tree and see if he's not part Kobold or Goblin. Now we have possession of this wand, Cobb cannot use it against us, nor can Noveno get away without paying us in full like he promised. That's five shares for each of us who are here, and I think he should send Zeth's share to his family, though we can say he got sick and couldn't be there at the time of payment. I think for now though, we must focus on getting in and out of the Citadel."

Sindri heads over to the captain and asks, "How much further until we reach the destination?"

FatherVenom
2012-09-08, 02:28 AM
Purple Tom

Tom sighs and sits on the edge of the cot after checking Sasha. I'm not a smart man, not like a wizard or anything, but this seems needlessly complicated. We're missing something. It probably has to do with the value or properties of the artifacts we've been sent to recover or something about the ruins themselves. Possibly Noveno fears reprisal from this dragon he mentioned and wanted the trail to lead away from him. Ah, this makes my head hurt. I'm a simple man. Plots aren't my strong suit.

Tom looks up from his hands at the rest of the group, face by face including Cobb this time.
No, friends, I think I must have been mistaken. If Noveno was simply greedy using this wand against us would be an unnecessary expense. Not to mention using Cobb here & paying him. No offense Cobb, but we've searched you and manhandled you a few times so far on this voyage. How much did he pay you anyway? Regardless I see no reason for him to want us gone. Cobb, is there any more you can tell us; anything you might have heard?

What has Captain Legend been doing all this time? If he has heard any of this I'd like to gauge his reaction.
[roll0]

Felhammer
2012-09-08, 02:42 AM
Cobb seems blown away by the idea of teleporting people to a far off and exotic land. He just stands there, contemplating the quasi-evil acts he would have committed. He looks over at Tom and says, "Noveno, eh, paid me a good deal of money. More, eh, money than you're gettin', which is why I ain't sayin', eh, how much. You knows, I, eh, helped arrange passage for, eh, six groups. Some of 'dem, eh, left yesterday, some last night, and, eh, you guys this morning. Noveno, eh, sent a lot of people out into that swamp. OH!" The Halfling thrusts his hand into the air, "I saw one of 'dem, eh, blue-skinned Devas talkin' to Noveno at the, eh, Inn yesterday, before you all, eh, arrived. They had a, eh, heated discussion - about Liffrea knows what - but the, eh, Deva, he left in a tiff. Dunno if that, eh, helps ya but it is what it, eh, is."

Felhammer
2012-09-08, 02:47 AM
Captain Legend Lordfinder has been manning the wheel, carefully navigating the ship through treacherous waters. Sindri thinks you are about two hours from your destination, assuming the wind doesn't slow down or change direction.

FatherVenom
2012-09-08, 03:48 AM
Purple Tom

Don't worry Cobb. Noveno contracted with you in bad faith. I don't hold you responsible for this, but perhaps Sindri should hold onto that wand for now. Let's all try to get some rest between here and Jocasa. Reflect on what we have all learned and reconvene when we disembark. We'll need to find the local church and see what they can do for our injured friend. Cobb, you'll have to decide what you want to do. I would not blame you if you decided to part company with us. I suspect your deal with Noveno is void. We'll likely want to do some digging; see if anyone in Jocasa has any insight into Noveno. If he's sent six or more expeditions from as far as Emmah it's likely he or some agent like Cobb has sent some from Jocasa as well. We probably should learn more about this wand as well. And let's not forget to learn what we can of the swamp and ruins as well. Whew, that sounds like a lot of work. We may need to find lodgings for the night.

NotScaryBats
2012-09-08, 07:43 AM
Wren Blackblood

"Is wand -- have charge? Take stuff, just person?"

Hawk7915
2012-09-08, 05:43 PM
"This whole situation seems like it's going to go just great. Tom, can I speak to you for a moment? I'd like to catch up, since it's been so long since I was in Emmah."

FatherVenom
2012-09-08, 06:41 PM
Purple Tom,

Yes, I'd like to catch up very much. Let's head up to the bow. Tom starts heading above deck giving time for Alex to catch up. When it's clear Alex is beside him he continues to the bow.

Hawk7915
2012-09-08, 07:22 PM
When he feels they are alone, Alex begins talking to Tom.
"It is good to see you, Tom, and I don't think it's coincidence that our paths have crossed here. What I'm about to trust you with is...sensitive information, to say the least. It has been troubling me since I arrived in Emmah, and the activities of our friend Noveno have left me deeply worried.

At you probably have guessed, I frequently serve as a messenger for the church; Liffrea's eyes and ears around the world. I was recently called before Vater Orion the Pure himself, in the Saint Korbinian Cathedral. There he told me that a dark prophecy has been foretold; our world shrouded in death and chaos. The eye of this storm seems to be Tetracco. When Noveno mentioned an old and mysteriously risen fifth world citadel, I felt that was the quickest way to start an investigation into this oncoming disaster. But if Noveno is actively sabotaging us, rather than simply looking to make some quick gold...it begs the question as to what purpose, and makes me wonder who he is allied with. In fact... Alex trails off and leaves Tom to ponder this, quickly moving back downstairs to confront Cobb.

"Cobb. We need to know everything we can; this situation could be dangerous for everyone involved, yourself included. What can you tell us about the people from the other six groups?"

Felhammer
2012-09-09, 10:32 AM
Cobb sits on the side of a cot, his legs swinging back and forth, "Well, let's see... There were the,eh, Goliaths, the, eh, Rifan Gnomes, the, eh, band of pirates, the, eh, Rechtsland Knights and your two groups." He goes on to say, "The Goliaths were armed with hulking great axes and loincloths (not a pretty sight for someone of my height, mind you); the Rifan Gnomes were armed with various weapons and armor of ok quality; the Pirates left with their cutlasses and their stench; the Rechtsland Knights were all wearing full plate and wielding various high quality weapons, their servants and paigs were armed with clubs and slings. The Goliaths and the Knights left by foot. The Gnomes by river. The Pirates and your two groups left by ship."

xilokix
2012-09-09, 12:13 PM
Zuka eyes the halfling with contempt his gargantuan hand resting upon the little man's shoulder.
"Now, you should tell us about how much time there's been between every one of these groups leaving seeing as we're all such good, good friends. What do you say greasy Half pint?"
After this frightening proposition Zuka smiles with his enlarged, sharpened canines eerily catching the attention of Cobb.

FatherVenom
2012-09-09, 01:03 PM
Purple Tom

Tom listens and digests this new information then follows Alex back down into the hold. We'll have to catch up more later Alex. I still have questions for Cobb. Tom catches the look of fear on Cobb's face directed at Zuka. No need to go frightening our friend. Cobb, I promised no harm would come to you if your secrets wouldn't hurt anyone and I meant it. I know that this has turned out to be the case, but you seem to be ignorant of the harm you would have done and I, for one, forgive you. But there are more things we must know if you can remember. How large were each of these parties? What are they each searching for? From what little you saw of them how did they act? Why did Noveno dispatch you with my party instead of any of the others or did an agent of Noveno go with them as well? Take your time Cobb, I don't mean to overburden you, but all our lives may be saved by your answers.

Tom wanders back over to the cot with Sasha on it and checks on her condition.
[roll0]

Haberdashery
2012-09-09, 01:47 PM
Seemingly been lost in thought for a while, Aya had been leaning against one of the wooden supports on the lower deck. She canted her head towards those that had assembled around Cobb.

"Do any of you get the feeling that Noveno was...well, is trying to pit all these groups against each other? He swore my Library to secrecy in the matter, and then proceeded to hire a bunch of others. Who are we supposed to be keeping this secret from, if we are the only people thinking it's secret?" Aya folded her arms across her chest. "I think...if we meet up with the others Noveno hired, we should try and join forces with them. I don't think they'd all agree though...pirates wouldn't probably think of anyone other than themselves. But the knights...knights have to be honorable, right? Otherwise they couldn't be knights."

Felhammer
2012-09-09, 02:10 PM
Cobb pushes Zuka's hulking hand off his shoulder, more than a little annoyed that he was being treated unfairly. He responds to Zuka's question first, "Everyone left yesterday, last night and today. The Knights were first, they left in the late afternoon. Everyone else left after them. Next to Tom's questions, "The Rifans are doomed. The Pirates were drunk. The Goliaths are clueless. The Knights blinded by their dreams of grandeur. The Five Knights and a small band of merry pages, squires and hangers-on. There were at least six Pirates, though I heard of other pirates leaving after their kin departed. There were three Goliaths and more Rifans that I could count. Each party was sent with a guide. The last guide - that Dragonborn Bard from the tavern - never bothered to show up. So I was forced to come along and get you to the Swamp, then wait for everyone to meet up at village."

Sasha is weary and unconscious but seems to be making a full recovery.

KnightSteve
2012-09-09, 03:03 PM
Sindri
"Well, I can see how the Rifan gnomes are doomed. They're not all that intelligent and too greedy for their own good. Drunk pirates and clueless goliaths may help our cause, but goliaths are still relatively strong. The knights seem to be our biggest problem, and if we can get them to help us at least wipe out the other groups if we all cross, that would bring our success rate up significantly. I am thankful that the dragonborn didn't make it, because I would have had to choke him if he tried to start singing again. What do you make of all of this Tom?" Sindri's brain is steaming from all of the thinking he is doing. He hopes to have a plan together to deal with each group and the minimal amount of risk for his own group.

FatherVenom
2012-09-09, 03:58 PM
Purple Tom

I wish I could say I was surprised, but it sounds like pretty typical behavior for pirates & goliaths & Rifans, & hedge knights. No, Aya, many knights are not honorable. And I think your plan makes sense, but I don't think we can count on these other bands, if we even do meet up with them, to agree with us. After all, it sounds like many of these men took up this mission simply for the money. Fewer people coming back successfully means bigger shares. What do I think we should do, Sindrin? I think we'll have to see what we can do if we run into them. The knights we might be able to talk with. The Rifans don't have the same mission as us so we can probably avoid conflict if we can convince them we're not at cross purposes, but I wouldn't want to twin our fates with Rifans. Doing that generally doesn't end well, but perhaps we might lend them some aid if we find them in dire straits. The goliaths & pirates we should probably avoid if we can. Cobb, we know the Rifans are after some axes. What are the rest of the groups after?

Haberdashery
2012-09-09, 04:11 PM
"But...why?" A frown masked her face. "Why would some knights not be honorable? That's the entire point of knighthood; honor, the pursuit of justice, and chivalry." The concept of a dishonorable knight made absolutely no sense to her--it made as much logical sense as a fish that refused to swim, or a lion that elected to become a vegetarian.

Felhammer
2012-09-09, 04:12 PM
Cobb bows his head, "Wish I, eh, knew. Noveno only told me,eh, who to look for. Knowing him though, everyone is,eh, after different targets."

NotScaryBats
2012-09-09, 06:27 PM
"Is worry too much. Make plan, change plan. See group, avoid or eat. No problem."

KnightSteve
2012-09-09, 08:13 PM
Sindri
"Aya, not all knights are honorable just as not all kings are honorable. If you become a knight under an evil king pursuing world domination, then your goal becomes helping him in this endeavor. Though you are swearing under oath to his services, you are still doing wrong. These knights are probably on the lines of the blackguard paladins of evil kingdoms. It is something you probably never read in a book, or a concept that just doesn't make sense. We'll just have to be careful around them. ...I agree Tom. We probably won't be wanting to meet the pirates or goliaths, since a fight would be almost inevitable. The Rifans might take some talking to, especially if another gnome is talking to them. I guess we will see though once we get there." Sindri starts pacing waiting for the group to reach land.

FatherVenom
2012-09-09, 09:42 PM
Purple Tom

Tom listens to all of his companions speak, gathers his thoughts, the starts speaking again. There are many kinds of Knights in this world Aya; simple fighters with too much pride or illusions of grandeur, minor lords beholden to kings, simple hedge knights who have earned boons from lords on their travel, but there is one thing in common with all knights. Their purpose is to fight & kill their opponents. And the thing about men who kill is that once they start, they rarely stop. Look at me. I lived the life of an adventurer briefly when I was younger. I tried to give it up, to distance myself from killing even in the name of Liffrea, but circumstances have returned me to a life of violence and only just today I took the life of another being with whom I had a quarrel. I regret that. But not all men do. For some men the killing gets insides them and twists them. Once virtuous men, or perhaps in this case knights, they simply enjoy battle or even killing. Let us hope that is not the case here.

Tom turns to Sindri. And perhaps this will be the case with the goliaths as well. As a race they are generally more honorable than humans, but just like humans you get some bad apples in the bunch. And some of the good ones are very touchy about their honor. It doesn't always take much to cause slight upon their personal code. Make no mistake though friends, we have no quarrel with these other parties and we know little of them. They could all be nice enough people who are under the impression that they're working for an honorable merchant. And perhaps we do owe them something. We have uncovered some of Noveno's plan for them. If we happen to cross paths I feel we are obligated to at least warn them of their peril, as long as that warning does not place us in danger.

Tom turns last to Wren. Ah little Wren, yes, you are right in that sometimes there is too much thinking when action is what is required, but we have nothing to do on this boat but think, talk, and get to know one and other. Knowing each other, knowing how we each think and will react to situations that arise will help us stand together if we should run into trouble. Unity will save us when nothing else will. Your plan is the way of the animals and there is value in that simple clarity, but we are men and women. We aspire to more. And more than even that, knowledge is power. Accumulating & processing that power will keep us alive. That is what I value.

Haberdashery
2012-09-10, 12:57 AM
The frown on Aya's face only deepened, though she said nothing more. The concept still made no sense at all to her--if knights were there to kill other people, then why were they not just called warriors? It would certainly save a good deal of trouble.

xilokix
2012-09-10, 12:59 AM
Zuka
While looking slightly confused Zuka laments toward Tom.
"Zuka must say, I don't know how you manage to say so much with one breath without dying from no air.
Zuka still has a look of bewilderment on his unrefined face.

FatherVenom
2012-09-10, 01:34 AM
Purple Tom

Tom lets out a loud belly laugh. Years of practice Zuka. I am an ordained priest after all.

Felhammer
2012-09-10, 09:46 AM
As the noon day sun turns into the afternoon sun, so too does your ship arrive at Jocasa.The village is indeed small but pleasant. Roughly twenty houses line the coast, with about the same number of boats docked at the pier. Beyond the village, up on a hill, lies an alabaster white and ebony black striped lighthouse, though inactive right now, you've heard that the light from tower is quite bright - which is for the best, given just how dangerous these shores have become lately (what with the coral spreading like a blight). Captain Legend Lordfinder docks the ship, each of you disembark. A portly priest wearing clerical vestments and a smile waddles up, "Hell, hello, welcome to Jocasa. How may we be of service to you on this find afternoon?"

FatherVenom
2012-09-10, 10:18 AM
Purple Tom

Hello friend, my name is Thomas Sully. I'd shake your hand but as you can see it's a little occupied. Tom head bobs in the direction of Sasha unconscious form resting in his arms. Would you kindly direct us to a place where we could care for her?

NotScaryBats
2012-09-10, 05:51 PM
Wren looks at the small village, feeling that this is a nice place. As Tom worries about the disabled woman, Wren stretches and yawns. These priests and holy people she finds herself herself in the company of.... Ah well, any delays now would just mean more fools springing traps ahead of them.

Felhammer
2012-09-10, 06:05 PM
The portly priest looks down at the woman in Tom's arms and gives the slightest hint of diving his hand into his pocket and retrieving a handkerchief but decides to avoid a possible insult at the last moment, "Oh... I see... Well I am nothing if not understanding. You can lay her here on the docks, I'll have the fishmongers carry her to the town's... Herbalist.

Are there any other services I may render to you on this fine afternoon?

FatherVenom
2012-09-10, 10:53 PM
Purple Tom

Don't worry friend. She is injured not ill. I have checked her myself. And you could start with your name, friend.

This is mostly for motivation, but if he can tell if the rudeness is just absentmindedness or what-all also since that's what caused Tom to be suspicious.
[roll0]

Felhammer
2012-09-10, 11:22 PM
Well... If she is not sick or hurt, then there is no need to worry. We heard rumors of plague from the north, I feared the worst." Two muscular fishmongers run up and offer to carry Sasha away. The Priest continues, "My name is Eugene Cabrera. I was transferred to this village from my homeland of Leonamarca roughly five months ago. The previous priest was - quite sadly - felled by a dire crocodile while giving last rights to a Half-Orc miner. Terrible loss for the Church, he was a good man. Liffrea bless Frantar Lensan." Cabera bows his head and says a small prayer to God. He lifts his head and says, "So, is there anything else I can do for you Priest Sully?"

You get the feeling that he was afraid of something, most likely the plague.

FatherVenom
2012-09-10, 11:59 PM
Purple Tom

Tom hands off Sasha to the men. Ah, thank you gents. Well that is sad news. Liffrea bless him. Please, may we walk while we talk? It's not in my nature to leave a charge until I'm sure of their imminent recovery. And don't worry about plague. There was no plague when we left Emmah. We could also use a place to camp down tonight before we set out in the morning. Anything of interest happen recently besides news of the plague?

Felhammer
2012-09-11, 12:30 AM
Cabrera says, "We are a small village with little to offer travelers such as yourselves. Please, let me offer you a warm bed at the church. The Priest leads you past the row of sea-side houses and up a dusty trail to the lighthouse. As you near the tower, you notice a squat but wide building painted in alabaster white with a yellow, arched roof, standing next to the lighthouse. Atop the roof is a wrought-iron tau-shaped symbol of Liffrea. The building's doors are made of thick, hardy wood, which contrasts remarkably well bright white paint of the walls. Above the doors lie a radiant red heart, surrounded by triangular-shaped sun rays. You know this sign well for it is the symbol of Erga, Patron Angel of the Sun and Healing.

The Priest leads you inside; it is a fairly standard church with two columns and three rows of pews. At the back of the church lies a heart shaped alter, with a veritable cacophony of candles of all shapes, sizes and colors, lit atop. Above the altar - held aloft by a thick rope - is a life-size wooden statue of Erga, flying across the heavens. Her chest has been darkened from years of smoke drifting up and settling on the statue. Behind the altar and the statue is a marvelous stain glass window depicting Liffrea creating the first humans, dwarves and elves on a verdant green field, with Erga watching with a loving smile.

The priest rubs his hands together and smiles, "I know our little church is not as impressive as those of other towns - especially one as large and influential as Emmah - but we do our best. Please, head down stairs, there is a large room down there with more than enough beds for all of you.

Wren and Zuka spy a small boy, clad in a loose fitting, stark white robe ducking behind a pew, eagerly popping his head up to catch a glimpse of the travelers.

NotScaryBats
2012-09-11, 12:45 AM
Wren is impressed with the hospitality she has been offered. Before today, the most anyone ever offered her for nothing was a broom to the face. Perhaps keeping such company would be good for her longterm comfort.

As the young boy comes into view, Wren can't help but peer back at him with equal interest. For the moment, she says nothing.

Felhammer
2012-09-11, 12:54 AM
The small boy waves at Wren before ducking behind the pew, to avoid being seen.

FatherVenom
2012-09-11, 02:05 AM
Purple Tom

Nonsense, it's lovely. Thank you so much for your hospitality Eugene. Do you have time to spare for a few questions?

KnightSteve
2012-09-11, 09:33 AM
Sindri
"I agree with Tom, this place is pretty lovely. It kind of reminds me of home, even though it's smaller. I appreciate the beds for the evening, and we hope we aren't too much of a burden on you." Sindri follows Tom down to the bottom where the beds are, thinking of how nice a bed would be after being on that dreadful boat.

Hawk7915
2012-09-11, 12:37 PM
Alex has been quietly observing things, deep in thought. As the group gets comfortable in the local church, Alex nods his thanks to Cabrera. While Tom gathers information from the priest, Alex informs Aya...

"I think I'll take a look around town and see if I can figure out where our fellow travelers are. I'll report back in in about an hour."

Streetwise Check: [roll0]

EDIT: Only a 14. I'll go ahead and burn Heroic Effort on this "skill challenge", if I can.

Haberdashery
2012-09-11, 01:23 PM
Aya had been fidgeting the entire time, as she followed the priests through the small town, and then into the chapel. It was bright and sunny outside, and the inside of the church was dark and somewhat smokey; she felt all too much like a child being dragged along by her mother.

It was with some relief that Alex broke the silence that had begun to surround her.

"Do you mind if I come with you?" She asked in reply. "I'll try not to get in your way."

Hawk7915
2012-09-11, 01:32 PM
Alex looks over Aya's plate armor, ponders for a moment, then nods. "Sure. Just try to look grim and dangerous, and let me do the talking". He smiles at her and starts walking for the door.

Haberdashery
2012-09-11, 01:36 PM
(EDIT: Learn to read, Habby.)

Aya flashed Alex a small smile, and nodded her head. She was quick on his heels as they exited the chapel, and walked out into the small seaside town.

Felhammer
2012-09-11, 09:32 PM
Cabera smiles and takes a seat on the pew, Yes Father Sully, I have some time to chat.

Alex and Aya Alex and Aya hear rumors about the rowdy Pirates who came to town earlier today. They didn't stay long but they did stop at the Tavern and devoured an entire barrel of grog as well as buying the tavern's whole stock of rum. They purchased two donkeys and a cart from a fisherman named Teb Hardy. Apparently they gave him a sack of TWO HUNDRED silver coins for all three (i.e. way more than the animals and cart were worth).

Hawk7915
2012-09-11, 09:44 PM
After learning this information, Alex turns to Aya. "Odd. Perhaps they got payed in advance. And perhaps they got paid to cause some manner of trouble for other explorers. Let's go talk to this Teb Hardy fellow and see if he can tell us anything else."

Felhammer
2012-09-11, 09:49 PM
You wander around a bit and find that Teb Hardy lives at the shack closest to the docks. His house is painted blue with white trim. Lying outside are stacks of crates and stands filled with fish/ A grizzled old man with short white hair and dingy burlap clothing saunters up to you and says, "You want fish? Five copper each, more if you want me to skin 'em and chop 'em."

Hawk7915
2012-09-11, 10:56 PM
Alex smiles at the man. "It appears to be your lucky day; I do have a craving for fish. Just one, chopped and skinned please. And while I'm waiting, maybe you can tell me about some gentlemen who were here earlier. Bought a cart and some donkeys from you, I believe? Alex flips him a gold coin.

Haberdashery
2012-09-11, 11:14 PM
Aya was silent at Alex's side, rivulets of dark hair fluttering behind her, carried by the breeze coming off of the sea. She held herself tall and resolute, her arms unassumingly at her side, though her gaze on the fishmonger was steely and unwavering.

...she wasn't exactly the most intimidating looking person in the world. Not even close.

FatherVenom
2012-09-11, 11:51 PM
Purple Tom

Thank you for speaking with us Father Cabrera. The church in Emmah sent me to accompany an expedition into the swamp, but it has come to our attention that the expedition organizer is misleading many including all those whom he has dispatched and any organizations they represent. We do not know enough to fight back or even if we should. Have you heard or seen anything that might be related to our present predicament? Any travelers recently? Anything unusual at all?

Felhammer
2012-09-11, 11:52 PM
The old fishmonger catches the coin and says, "Ain't like they paid me to be hush hush." He grabs a particularly large looking cod and snags his equipment. As he prepares the fish he continues, "Well let's see. They were tall, athletic looking folk. Smell too, though not quite as bad as day old fish mind you. One of them, a Captain Jag Dove, was the one who bought my two mules and my best cart. He seemed to be in a rush, said something about ancient ruins and magical bucklers. Honestly, I thought he was drunk," he chuckles, "or worse - stupid. Said the ruin just appeared out of no where in the swamp. I know magic is powerful but conjuring a whole citadel? Na, that's the stuff of legend. My bet is some wayward huckster sold the dear Captain on some damn fool quest, probably paid dearly for the information too."

Felhammer
2012-09-11, 11:59 PM
Cabera frowns at Tom, "You speak of the mythical ruin that supposedly materialized out in the swampland. Yes, some rowdy pirates came here earlier. Drank the 'Fish'n Ale' Tavern dry from what I hear. They didn't come to the church, hardly unexpected given their line of work; God knows that brigands and thieves are not Liffrea's favorite folk. Still, they did not cause too much problem, though one of them did knock poor Baniel's left front tooth out in a brawl. Still, the Captain - one Jag Dove - donated fifty silver to the church and have poor Baniel TEN GOLD as recompense. Their hearts were obviously thriving to do the right thing, even if their upbringing and life experiences were fighting their consciousnesses."

FatherVenom
2012-09-12, 12:18 AM
Purple Tom

Tom smile fades a little at his disappointment. You were lucky to treat with such generous pirates. Such is not always their nature. I thank you for being so forthcoming. Has nothing else of note happened recently? I know you have only been here a short time and I don't mean to sound ungrateful but this new information doesn't help us to discern the plans of our "benefactor". His name is Giavano Noveno. Tom rattles off a physical description of the dwarf. Any of that ring a bell?

Felhammer
2012-09-12, 12:50 AM
Cabera looks aghast, Do you mean THE Giavano Noveno, from the Council of Twelve? Of course I have heard of him! He was a force to be reckoned with! They say he ruled over the Council as a virtual autocrat for his whole five year tenure! He made so many enemies in the Colinan government that the Mercaro literally threw him out of the Palazzo Mercale. He was banished from Telecita and forbidden from ever returning. Few out here in the islands would have heard of him, I only know this tale because I happened to be studding in Telecita at the time.

Mercaro [Leader of Colina]
Palazzo Mercale [Mercaro's Palace]
Telecita [alternate name for the city of Colina]

FatherVenom
2012-09-12, 07:37 AM
Purple Tom

Tom mulls over what Father Cabrera has told him before responding. Do you have someone you trust to deliver all this information to the church back in Emmah? I would go back myself to investigate this Noveno, but there have been portents concerning the citadel that makes it our more immediate concern. That along with the other expeditions he has sent out also bears invesigating. Their lives may be at stake. We could attempt to return to Emmah through Jocasa again to receive any instruction from the church, but we simply can't wait that long now.

Tom starts pacing & rubbing the scratchy day's growth on his face. We're still missing some key facts. Almost all of this would make sense, not a lot but at least it would be believable, except for his desire to banish us upon the completion of our quest. He clearly has the money if the pirates were paid in gold. Oh yes, I didn't mention to you. All the expeditions have been saddled with a hanger on who means to betray their party upon completion of their missions, though they may not know it. Our young friend Cobb here has been very helpful with information concerning Noveno's plots in that regard.

NotScaryBats
2012-09-12, 02:53 PM
Wren decides to go investigate the beds, leaving the two windy priests to collaborate together. She briefly considers acquiring a holy symbol, since apparently that is all that is required to be given full and complete trust among 'holy men.'

KnightSteve
2012-09-12, 03:38 PM
Sindri
While Tom and the other priest are talking, Sindri has been listening from afar, and looking around at the temple to see what sort of stuff they have. Obviously not trying to take anything, he keeps his hands away from anything that he doesn't already own.
(If anyone comes up to him, he will start conversation)

Hawk7915
2012-09-12, 08:26 PM
"Nothing like drunken, armed, and well-funded pirates to make an adventure more exciting." Alex picks up his prepared fish and nods. "Thanks for your help, Teb. Have a good evening. Forget I asked about Captain Dove, okay?"

OOC: Would Alex know anything about Captain Dove? And if so, what sort of check would I make?

Felhammer
2012-09-12, 09:22 PM
Alex: You probably have no heard of Captain Dove. He doesn't practice his trade in and around Tettracoo, nor is he that well known. But you can give it a shot. I think the most applicable skill would be Streetwise.

Sindri: You find candles and more candles standing around. There is also a small small statue of an Angel weeping over a heart ripped in twine. The plaque says the statue is dedicated to remembering the War of the Ripped Heart. You have heard of this war, it was fought between the forces of King Arnold the Blackhearted and the eldest Konder of Queen Juniper's previous Husband (King Casper the Redfaced), Bruno Wyn. Bruno wished to become King, which was explicitly banned by Adish law for he was the scion of Queen Juniper. Both King Arnold and Bruno were Paladins of Erga. It is said, just as the armies of the two Paladins were to clash, she descended from Heaven and ordered that both cease the senseless conflict but neither would listen. The two Paladins agreed to fight a duel to the death, the winner would become King. Erga was horrified that two of her most beloved Paladins would fight one another; so, with tears streaking from her face, she stripped them both of their powers and flew away. Arnold proved stronger and hardier and was thus able to keep his crown.

Later generations of Konder added "the Blackhearted" to Arnold's name - just to spite the man they all despised.

Note: Konder is a term used to describe the Half-Elven children sired by the King of Adeland and his immortal Elven wife - Queen Juniper. Konder are barred from ever holding any important positions in government, holding any title above Baron and being a member of a secular knightly order. Most Konder become wizards (of the Wizards Congress of Umbria), courtiers or warriors, such is their lot in life.

Wren: You find the beds to be very fluffy, with large, soft comforters. Everything save the beds themselves are heart-shaped.

Tom: Cabera furrows his brow and strokes his chin, "I have someone to send messages back but... You are talking about potentially crossing a very dangerous man. I would prefer it is we could keep the name of this church, and the village, out of any official documents. The last thing I want to see as butchers coming here in the night bent on revenge.

FatherVenom
2012-09-12, 09:51 PM
Purple Tom

Protecting those under your care is a worthy goal. I agree with you. Protecting the innocents in this town is a priority. Do you have implements I could use to compose this message? When presented with ink and parchment Tom writes a letter to his direct superior, Father Shon, explaining the situation and requesting Noveno's plots be unraveled and he be watched and detained if necessary. In true Tom Sully fashion it also contains pleasantries about his new companions, requests that certain sick folk about the city be checked, the rumor of the plague from the north, and Sindri's mother be informed that he is well. When the letter is finished & the ink is treated to prevent smudging, Tom seals the parchment & presses the "seal" specifically crafted into his holy symbol, a cluster of grapes, into the wax.

Insight/sense motive
[roll0]
OOC: I wouldn't make this check except I can't see any reason why Jocasa would even be mentioned.

Hawk7915
2012-09-12, 09:54 PM
Skill check:
Streetwise Check on Captain Dove: [roll0]

Felhammer
2012-09-12, 10:24 PM
Alex: During your voyage to see the Holy Vater, you heard mention of an ambitious Pirate who stalked the seas around Kamir, his name was Captain Dove and his ship called the Dread Way.

Tom: What is the insight check for specifically?

FatherVenom
2012-09-12, 11:56 PM
Specifically checking on his motive for keeping Jocasa out of the story

Haberdashery
2012-09-12, 11:59 PM
When they were alone again, Aya's flimsy display cracked, and she frowned with pursed lips.

"Well...that didn't help us all that much."

Felhammer
2012-09-13, 12:24 AM
Tom: Ohhh. :smallsigh:

He seems genuine to you. He is a loving Priest who does not want the simple folk of the village harmed by such a vengeful man.

Felhammer
2012-09-13, 11:17 PM
The afternoon turns to dusk. Father Cabera has decided to treat the six of you to a sumptuous meal in the church. He has laid out a large picnic table in the grassy meadows next to the church. He prepares a meal of fish, bread, stew and carrots. Though perhaps not the best tasting meal you have ever consumed, it is none the less hardy and filling. Dusk quickly changes to night. The Father bids you farewell, as he meanders up to the lighthouse. The six of you head to the church's basement and claim a bed for your own. The covers are thick, while the bed comfy. You sleep like small babes.

However... Tom and Zuka smell something burning. It is faint at first but quickly grows in intensity. Wren is roused by the sound of a wolf howling. The others remain asleep, completely oblivious...

NotScaryBats
2012-09-13, 11:27 PM
Wren gets out of the bed quickly, her wild upbringing making her long accustomed to getting up and aware in a short time.

She sees a few others awake and says, "is wolf, hear too?" Her staff in her hands, the young druid raps a few of the sleepers' beds as she rushes out of the basement to investigate the town proper.

Felhammer
2012-09-13, 11:32 PM
Wren tries to open the door leading to the church proper however her hand is singed by the intense heat of the metal door knob. She suddenly becomes cognoscente of the smoke smell.

FatherVenom
2012-09-14, 12:05 AM
Purple Tom

AWAKEN! FIRE! Tom heads from bed to bed shaking everyone awake. Sindri help me with my armor. Wren please help Aya. Zuka check out what's going on. Tom hears Wren rattle the doorknob and jerk back from the heat. Scratch that. Wren and Sindri, rush jobs please. Zuka get that door open! Be prepared to drop. The fire will flood into the cool space.

Felhammer
2012-09-14, 12:23 AM
Everyone is roused by Tom's frantic calls. Everyone also hears the deep throat-ed howl of a wolf.

KnightSteve
2012-09-14, 08:40 AM
Sindri
"What is happening Tom?" Sindri asks as he is woken up. "I think that I smell smoke, and that cannot be good. Here is your armor, let's get in on you and I will then grab my weapons." Sindri begins helping Tom strap on the heavy armor that the cleric wears, and rushes to grab his pack, wand and weapon before the fire tries to consume them also.

NotScaryBats
2012-09-14, 08:55 AM
"Is church fire. Other way out?" Wren casts about for a Window or other means of extrication from the situation while shoving the paladin's heavy Armor at her.

Felhammer
2012-09-14, 10:00 AM
Wren casts her eyes about but finds only a trap door leading to a wine cellar. The walls of the basement are bordered by tiny, heart shaped windows. Wren peaks out and sees Father Cabera and a gang of village folk wielding pitch forks, nets and torches. Father Cabera yells, "THE POWER OF ERGA COMMANDS THAT YOU SHALL NOT PASS!" The human raises his holy symbol and a burst of light washes over the verdant meadows surrounding the church.

Suddenly you spot it - an eight foot tall, three hundred pound monster. It walks up right like a human but with digitigrade knees. Its long, lanky arms end with powerful looking claws. Its head is long and angular, its snout lined with very large, very jagged, blood stained teeth. The creature recoils from the light but does not back down. It howls once more, "AWWWWOOOOOOOOO". The noise is deafening, several of the village folk actually drop their weapons. Seeing an opening, the beast charges forward, raking the Priests' face and stomach. His intestines spill out onto the meadowland. He tries in vain to shove his innards back in before he collapses on the ground, dead. The villagers are horrified and turn to run. Their mistake costs the their lives as they are felled one by one by the wolf-like man.

The beast howls once more into the night before racing off into the nearby forest.

Tom: You chance a look at the beast as you are doning your armor. The wolf-like man is indeed terrifying but what scares you even more is that you notice that it wears two loop earrings eerily similar to those worn by Sasha!

You have not seen her since earlier this afternoon when the fishmongers took her to the herbalist on the outskirts of the village.

Haberdashery
2012-09-14, 11:29 AM
She had been having the strangest dream. She had been in a flat boat, being rowed down a twisting green river by two giant lobsters, both of whom kept entirely silent no matter what she had said to them. Along the banks of the river, thousands of people gathered, laughing and playing and singing and simply enjoying themselves. No matter what she did, she could not get the attention of these people, and the river was full of barbed rocks and churning eddies, making any attempt to simply jump off the flatboat and swim to shore utterly impossible. The current was fast, while the lobsters rowed faster, and so the boat took the river at almost breakneck speed; she had to grasp the bottom of her seat to avoid falling out. And then, all of a sudden, there was someone sitting in the seat in front of her, and she could hardly remember if the figure had been sitting there the whole time. The shape of it was huge, and thick, and wide, and the light off the green river obscured all of its features. It bent down a huge, shaggy head, which at first looked to be covered in billowing hair--the closer it got to her face, the hotter she began to feel, until she noticed that it wasn't hair on the person's head, it was fire. The green of the dream had been replaced by a terrible orange, and as the figure erupted into flame all over its body, the people on the shore began to scream, covered in flames of their own, running about as they melted like wax.

"I'd be a little more careful, if I were you." The figure had said, in a voice of gargled nails.

And then Aya was awake, and Tom was shouting, and the strange girl called Wren was shoving her armor at her. The heat from the dream hadn't let up, it had only intensified, and that same orange color persisted as she rubbed the sleep out of her eyes.

Struggling with her armor with numb fingers and shaking wrists, she looked up at Wren, and her voice was thick and raspy from sleep. "What's going on?" She could hardly speak above a harsh whisper.

FatherVenom
2012-09-14, 12:10 PM
Purple Tom

The townsfolk have become murderous, whether from madness or divine inspiration we'll never know because they have been felled by some type of lycanthrope.

Multiple skill checks to recall the details of lycanthropy, specifically permanence, effect n alignment and mental state, transmission, types, duration and causes of the transformation, but also general facts
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

NotScaryBats
2012-09-14, 12:33 PM
"Wolf doesn't matter. Is church fire. Get cook if no escape." Wren speaks quickly.

When you say 'tiny windows' does that mean a big guy can't fit through? How difficult to enlarge Window holes? If that is impossible, Wren examines the cellar, her keen eyes quite accustomed to human architecture.

wolfman nature knowledge check [roll0]
dungeoneering check for windows or cellar or escape point [roll1]

Haberdashery
2012-09-14, 12:42 PM
Aya grimaced, fumbling with the last of her armor's buckles, and then pushed herself unsteadily onto her feet, the last vestiges of sleep still trying to drag her downwards. Wren had scampered off ahead of her, down the ladder into the wine cellar, and Aya followed, skipping rungs in the ladder as she descended, and landed clumsily on the cellar floor beneath. It took a moment for her eyes to adjust to the light, but once they had, she added her eyes to Wren's.

[roll0]

FatherVenom
2012-09-14, 03:52 PM
Purple Tom

Don't go down there! It's a death trap! Tom briefly watches the women head downstairs before returning his full attention to his armor.

NotScaryBats
2012-09-14, 04:01 PM
Quite confident that she can flee through the windows as a rat, Wren rolls her eyes at the large man's protests. "Is death trap stay here and fuss over metal. Maybe way out, check for slow humans." She continues with her plan, seeing what she can find. Normally, the cautious wererat would have scouted out the entire structure before sleeping here, then got herself to safety before worrying about others - clearly her companions were already making her soft.

Felhammer
2012-09-15, 12:17 AM
Tom: You know that Lycanthropes come in hereditary and disease varieties. You are not familiar with Werewolves but you have heard sailors mention Weredolphins before and the disease seems to spread through being bitten.

Sindri: Sindri remembers an old Bardic rhyme about Werewolves:

Tall and mean
Don't get bit
Short and lean
Don't transmit

Wren: The White Oak does not support Lycans but accepts their existance as a natural part of the world. Some Druids claim Lycanthropy is Nature's way of indiscriminately felling those who abuse nature's bounty but this is not a popular opinion. During your tenure as an apprentice Druid, you and your master killed a particularly violent Wereboar. Against him, fire and misdirection were your greatest allies.

Aya looks around and sees a small dragon's horde of obscure, expensive and ancient wines. One of them even appears to be six hundred years old! Beyond the racks of wine, there is very little down here... Save for another small trap door, this one circular and locked with a heavy, steel padlock. There is also a tome, a quill and an ink bottle sitting atop a short desk. As Aya looks at the open tome, she sees the following phrase written in blood red ink:

"The person who makes it, sells it. The person who buys it never uses it and the person who uses it doesn't know they are. What is it?"

Haberdashery
2012-09-15, 12:42 AM
And though the fire raged above her, and her companions shouted and scurried about, Aya stood transfixed above the tome, her eyes glinting in the dark of the wine cellar.

"A coffin." She said aloud.

Felhammer
2012-09-15, 12:51 AM
The quill magically lifts itself into the air, tabs itself in the red ink and writes, "Correct." The quill then writes, "What remains dark when all else is light?" The quill then flies up into the air and slowly falls back down upon the table like a gentle feather.

Haberdashery
2012-09-15, 12:53 AM
Aya leaned closer, watching the pen move, and her heart lept into her throat. Her breathing audible, her eyes wide, she opened her mouth again to answer the book.

"A shadow."

Felhammer
2012-09-15, 01:05 AM
The quill hoists itself into the air and tabs itself into the inkwell once more. It then wistfully floats over to the tome and scrawls, "Good." The Quill pauses for a moment before beginning again:

"Not meant to be a weapon
Although it may be.
Its edges are dull
But its point can be sharp.
A choice of sides, bitter-sweet
To help or to hurt.
Use it you must
But use it wisely."

Haberdashery
2012-09-15, 01:13 AM
(Oooh, tricky one. This one took me a bit.)

It was like a lead weight had been dumped onto her skull. Aya stared at the page, and the lengthy scrawl, and immediately her head began to throb. A dozen thoughts ran through her head. A...a pen? But you don't have to use a pen... Aya bit her lip. Words then. But words don't have edges... Aya clicked her tongue in thought.

...and then it hit her.

She jumped, and immediately blurted out, "Err...tongue! Your tongue!"

Felhammer
2012-09-15, 01:35 AM
The quill feverishly scrawls, "Three riddles solved. As per my creator's request, I shall now open that which is locked." As it does, the padlock sealing the second trapdoor magically unlocks itself. The hatch listlessly lifts up, revealing a small, cramped, dark space. However, does appear to be a glimmer of light, coming from deep within...

Haberdashery
2012-09-15, 01:41 AM
Every inch of her mouth was dry; her heart was thunder. She snatched up the book, clutched it to her chest, and scrambled down through the hatch.

Felhammer
2012-09-15, 02:10 AM
Aya ONLY! Aya races down the rickety old ladder. Splinters dig into her hands but she continues on, undeterred. Her right foot is first to touch the ground, however it makes a crunching noise as she slowly brings her whole weight down upon that foot. Her left crunches something as well. Aya looks down and sees what appears to be dried parchment and... Bone? The Half-Elf then peers over towards the light and sees something fascinating yet terrifying.

A ways down the tunnel to her right, she spots a golden skull floating in midair. An ebony dagger has pierced the skull. Attached to the hilt of the dagger, is a wick, whose end has been set ablaze. It is the only light in the whole area. Aya suddenly realizes that the skull is... Is... The Unholy Symbol of the Fallen Angel Zarfell!

The skull screams like a small child. A loud thud from above, signaling the hatch has closed. You are unable to move or turn away, you are impelled to stand where you are. The skull tips itself forward and begins to speak in a dark, deep voice, "I AM ZARFELL THE BLACKKNIFED ANGEL! I AM PATRON TO ALL THOSE WHO SEEK ASSASSINATIONS, MURDER AND DEATH! YOU HAVE ENTERED MY SANCTUARY - I COMPEL YOU TO GIVE UNTO ME THE NAME OF HE WHO SHOULD BE SLAIN IN MY NAME! I DEMAND YOU ANSWER!" The skull screams once more, its high pitch momentarily deafening you.

The basic idea of what the Unholy Symbol looks like:
http://i50.tinypic.com/1z6aypk.png

Felhammer
2012-09-15, 02:11 AM
Aya ONLY! Aya races down the rickety old ladder. Splinters dig into her hands but she continues on, undeterred. Her right foot is first to touch the ground, however it makes a crunching noise as she slowly brings her whole weight down upon that foot. Her left crunches something as well. Aya looks down and sees what appears to be dried parchment and... Bone? The Half-Elf then peers over towards the light and sees something fascinating yet terrifying.

A ways down the tunnel to her right, she spots a golden skull floating in midair. An ebony dagger has pierced the skull. Attached to the hilt of the dagger, is a wick, whose end has been set ablaze. It is the only light in the whole area. Aya suddenly realizes that the skull is... Is... The Unholy Symbol of the Fallen Angel Zarfell!

The skull screams like a small child. A loud thud from above, signaling the hatch has closed. You are unable to move or turn away, you are impelled to stand where you are. The skull tips itself forward and begins to speak in a dark, deep voice, "I AM ZARFELL THE BLACKKNIFED ANGEL! I AM PATRON TO ALL THOSE WHO SEEK ASSASSINATIONS, MURDER AND DEATH! YOU HAVE ENTERED MY SANCTUARY - I COMPEL TO GIVE UNTO ME THE NAME OF HE WHO SHOULD BE SLAIN IN MY NAME! I DEMAND YOU ANSWER!" The skull screams once more, its high pitch momentarily deafening you.

The basic idea of what the Unholy Symbol looks like:
http://i50.tinypic.com/1z6aypk.png

Haberdashery
2012-09-15, 03:58 AM
(I'm assuming this should be DM only)

A mixture of emotion welled up inside Aya at that moment; fear most certainly took the lion's share of what she was feeling, as utter dread and horror spread through every inch of her. But behind that surging fear, which made the hair on the back of her neck stand on end, behind that was unbelievable rushing excitement. This was something she had never even dreamed of seeing; the tomes on the darker things, fallen angels, demons, and the like, were always kept locked away in the Library. If Aya hadn't worked up the courage to sneak a peak into one of them, she might have never even heard of Zarfell.

But she had. She had read his entire story, drank it up greedily--until one of the head scholars let out a cry, and had snatched the book from her grasp. She had received a number of lashes for that.

And as Aya stood there in her nightgown, staring transfixed at the symbol, the weight of what she had just been offered began to settle onto her. The choice to remove a person from existence--any person. Any person she could think of, no questions asked, just simply gone. Aya felt a shiver all through her body at the thought. The thought of all the good she could do, the tyrants she could rid from the world, the terrible people, the horrible monsters--she could name any one of them. For the life of her, their names suddenly escaped her. There was always Noveno... And then of course, the feeling took a sudden trip south, and Aya felt her inside start to bubble with vindictiveness. Why be so grandiose? She could end one of the people that had made her upset, or hurt her. She could end Brandon Orf, the scholar that had so liked to lash her when she disobeyed--he almost seemed to enjoy lashing pupils. Aya saw his face flicker before her eyes. And then there was Sara Hewel, one of her fellow pupils, that mocked her constantly--always calling her chubby. Maybe her stomach poked out a little, and her thighs were a little thick, but she wasn't chubby, dammit. Sara's freckled face flashed before her as well. And then there was that street vendor that had bumped into her before Emmah that day before she left with Alexander and Sasha, who threw a rotten apple at her head--that had really hurt, she even still had a bump where it had connected. Aya could kill him right now, she could kill Sara, she could kill Brandon...she just had to let the name out of her mouth.

And yet...Aya kept her mouth closed. She swallowed the thought, shook it from her head, though the claws of it had started to dig their way into her head. She looked up at the skull, her fists clenched tightly at her sides. When she moved to finally speak, a voice came out of her throat she hardly recognized.

"...what would happen if I don't give a name? She asked.

(OOC: Question. You mention a tunnel, is there a tunnel leading elsewhere, or does the entire space just contain the skull?)

Haberdashery
2012-09-15, 03:59 AM
(Post to spawn new page)

NotScaryBats
2012-09-15, 08:15 AM
When Wren sees the bookish girl descending the next level of the basement, guarded by a magic book, she grows suspicious. She calls up to her companions, "Maybe way out, come see." Then, she follows Aya into the unknown.

Felhammer
2012-09-15, 01:19 PM
Before Wren can make it to the hatch, it magically seals itself once more.

Zuka casts his eyes about and looks to Tom and Alex for suggestions of what to do.

Everyone save Aya hears the dread howl of a rampaging Werewolf once more.

FatherVenom
2012-09-15, 01:44 PM
Purple Tom

Tom notices Zuka not moving despite his request. ZUKA GET THAT DOOR DOWN NOW OR WE ALL DIE! Alex, could you check on that werewolf? If it looks menacing grab up Aya's armor. I've got an idea.

Felhammer
2012-09-15, 01:44 PM
Aya ONLY The shimmering golden head screams once more, "Do you see the wick, slowly burning away? It is a representation of your life. Say a name and the flame will disappear. Say nothing and your own life will be snuffed out." The skull twirls around in a circle, the burst of air causing the flame to shift up the wick just a bit. "Do you not have enemies, scorned lovers or childhood bullies? Speak but a name and my agents shall carve their still beating hearts out." The skull eyes you for a moment then smiles, "I see you are struggling with this choice. Perhaps you are not a vindictive person. Give unto me a description - race and gender, skin tone and hair color - and I shall find some random soul who fits the bill. I shall snuff his or her life out. You will never know this person and therefore, his or her death will be of no consequence to you." The skull cackles menacingly with a shrill voice.

Felhammer
2012-09-15, 01:47 PM
Zuka nods. He draws his weapon and bull rushes the door. His immense strength and sheer determination bust the door off of its handles and sends it careening into the fiery room above. A blast of fire races into the basement, lighting the walls near the door ablaze.

Alex sees the Werewolf leap onto another village and bite her jugular. It rears its blood drenched head up and eyes another victim...

FatherVenom
2012-09-15, 02:04 PM
Purple Tom

Alex, how many villagers yet live?
Insight- Sense motive on the werewolf
[roll0]

Haberdashery
2012-09-15, 02:10 PM
(Okay, just so you know, this is crazy. But I regret nothing.)

A thin, rattling breath left through Aya's parched mouth; she ran her tongue over her lips. There was one thought that had stood out among the sea of so many others, one that struck Aya as utterly foolish, and yet she could not dismiss it. It stuck there, staring at her. Aya swallowed hard. If she said it, if she said that name, it very well could be the last words to ever leave her mouth.

"I...I have read about you, Zarfell. I know your story, and how you came to be what you are." Her voice was clear, though fear fought so very hard to overtake her. "Yours is a very sad story, and I feel for your pain. It was cruel what was done to you."

Aya breathed again, trying in vain to calm the shaking in her limbs. "I know that you are in pain. And I know that you suffer... But...but you don't have to. You don't have to suffer anymore. I want to put you out of your misery."

Aya tried to smile, summoning up what compassion she could, earnestly trying to appeal to the fallen angel, even though overwhelming doubt was filling every inch of her.

"I name you, Zarfell. So that you may know peace."