PDA

View Full Version : Soul Gems

LordErebus12
2012-08-24, 03:11 AM
Any new text added will be in green text.

Soul Gems
http://i.imgur.com/QgS8v.png

Soul Gems (Common, Lesser, Greater)
Aura Moderate Necromancy (Death, Evil)
Purchase Cost 900 gp (Common); 1,500 gp (Lesser); 2,300 gp (Greater)

DESCRIPTION
You draw forth the ebbing life force of a creature and use it to refuel a tiny soul gem. Upon touching this stone to a living creature that has –1 or fewer hit points, it triggers the will save effect (DC 12+Cha of user). If the subject fails its saving throw, it dies, and the stone siphons off a chunk of exp from the target into the gemstone. If the subject is successful, the target is unaffected and the stone loses its ability to drain soul energy for 1d4+1 minutes.

The amount of Exp gained is equal to the target's (CR - 1) x 100. Different quality gemstones used in the creation of this soul gem alters the overall maximum Exp the stone can drain before becoming full. Soul Gems can be used on more than just one target, but only one target per round. This effectively allows them to be filled with however many souls that are needed to fill the stone.

Each gemstone quality holds a different maximum amount of Exp. Greater Soul Gems can store 2000 Exp, Lesser Soul Gems can store 1200 Exp and Common Soul Gems store only 600 Exp. This stored Exp can be used for all Item Creation feats as well as a rather unique method of healing.

The other option is to consume the charged soul gem, crushing the gemstone and swallowing it. A soul gem used like this grants 1d8 temporary hit points and fast healing 5 for a number of rounds equal to how much Exp is burned; 100 Exp per round of fast healing/temporary hp.

No matter how much you actually need, a soul gem always expends all the Exp at once. You cannot use it more than once before it becomes empty. After a soul gem is drained of all its Exp it instantly loses all magical effects, the leftover Exp is lost, and the stone crumbles to dust.

Items created with soul gems do not gain an evil aura permanently. While they radiate a faint evil aura for a short time (1-3 days), after that, the aura dissipates completely unless the item in question is evil in its own right.

Note: CR 1 or lower creatures do not offer any Exp when drained with this gemstone.

CREATION
Requirements: Craft Wondrous Item, Death Knell
Creation Cost: 450 gp (Common); 750 gp (Lesser); 1,150 gp (Greater)

Ramifications
Naturally they're to be common enough for many characters to have them. Yeah, they are evil. Yeah, they are necromancy effects. Maybe, but is that enough to make them so expensive or rare that they couldn't be everywhere?

I like the concept that they are way cheaper than normally should. But that means most magical items are made with necromantic magic. Most clerics would have a problem with mages who use these gems a lot without a concern to religious dogma.

Some Pelorians have outlawed the gems and most gems are confiscated and the caster using them are usually arrested. Some have even gone as far as to hunt those who use soul gems, killing them in some cases. A large black market as opened throughout many parts of the world, dealing with these and other magical items. These stones have led some worlds to slowly outlaw arcane magic (in cases of low or even no magical worlds).

Black Soul Gem (Lesser Artifact)

Aura Powerful Necromancy (Death, Evil)
Purchase Cost: gp

DESCRIPTION
You draw forth the ebbing life force of a 30 ft. cone of creatures and use it to refuel this glossy black soul gem. Upon bringing this stone within 60 ft. of a living creature that has –1 or fewer hit points, it begins growing begins to become very cold, as if made of ice. If brought forward like an unholy symbol, it triggers the will save effect (DC 19+Cha of user). If any subject fails its saving throw, it dies, the stone siphons off a chunk of exp from each of the targets into the gemstone. If a subject is successful, the target is simply unaffected.

The amount of Exp gained is equal to the target's (CR - 6) x 150. A Black Soul Gem can be used on more than just one target, as long as they are within the projected cone. This effectively allows them to be filled with however many souls that are needed to fill the stone.

A Black soul gem holds a maximum amount of 10,000 Exp. This Exp can be traded for gold for item creation costs. Each unit of 10 Exp converts to 100 gp. This stored Exp can be used for all Item Creation feats as well as a rather unique method of healing.

The other option is to wear the fully charged black soul gem as a necklace, A black soul gem used like this grants 2d8 temporary hit points and fast healing 5. This does not cause it to lose any Exp when used like this. The Wearer radiates a powerful evil aura for the purposes of alignment detection.

A Black Soul Gem always expends all the Exp at once. You cannot use it more than once before it becomes empty. After a black soul gem is drained of all its Exp it is rendered inert for one week or until the first new moon, turning grey and dull in color and texture, after which it returns to its normal appearance. Black Soul Gems cannot be destroyed by any attacks, only a wish or miracle can destroy it permanently.

Unlike the other varieties of soul gems, black soul gems does imbue an evil aura. While this is generally only a faint evil aura, it never leaves completely; the item truly defiled by the artifact's power. In the case of an item already being more evil than faint, simply ignore this additional aura.

Note: CR 6 or lower creatures do not offer any Exp when drained with this gemstone.

CREATION
Requirements: Craft Wondrous Item, Heighten Spell feat, Death Knell, Creator must have a caster level of 20.
Creation Cost: gp

LordErebus12
2012-08-24, 03:14 AM
I know the costs are wrong, but I wanted them to be rather cheap, idk.

If someone cares to figure out what these would actually cost, id appreciate it, but its not mandatory or anything. i may just do it tomorrow or never , i dont know yet.

what does everyone think? cheap? expensive? should i stick to the tabled costs? Ideas?

Deviston
2012-08-24, 03:22 AM
I wonder, is the item intended only to be filled by a single soul? It doesn't say one way or another.

I would say add this in:
A soul gem may only contain a single soul. The souls of a soul gem can not be used in pieces or parts. Once activated to consume the soul, the entire contents are expended.

This way one couldn't use up all but 1 EXP and begin refilling it to avoid the inert time period.

LordErebus12
2012-08-24, 03:25 AM
I wonder, is the item intended only to be filled by a single soul? It doesn't say one way or another.

I would say add this in:
A soul gem may only contain a single soul. The souls of a soul gem can not be used in pieces or parts. Once activated to consume the soul, the entire contents are expended.

This way one couldn't use up all but 1 EXP and begin refilling it to avoid the inert time period.

Soul Gem (Common, Lesser, Greater)

http://i.imgur.com/XfwVt.png

Aura Moderate Necromancy (Death, Evil)
Purchase Cost 150 gp (Common); 300 gp (Lesser); 700 gp (Greater)

You draw forth the ebbing life force of a creature and use it to refuel a soul gem. Upon touching this stone to a living creature that has –1 or fewer hit points, triggers the will save effect. If the subject fails its saving throw, it dies, and you siphon off a a chunk of exp from the target into the gemstone. If the subject is successful, the target is unaffected and the stone loses its ability to drain soul energy for 1d4+1 minutes.

The amount of Exp gained is equal to the target's (CR - 1) x 100. Different quality gemstones used in the creation of this soul gem alters the overall maximum Exp the stone can drain before becoming full. Soul Gems can be used on more than just one target, but only one target per round. This effectively allows them to be filled with however many souls that are needed to fill the stone.

Each gemstone quality holds a different maximum amount of Exp. Greater Soul Gems can store 2000 Exp, Lesser Soul Gems can store 1200 Exp and Common Soul Gems store only 600 Exp. This stored Exp can be used for all Item Creation feats as well as a rather unique method of healing.

The other option is to consume the charged soul gem. a soul gem used like this grants 1d8 temporary hit points and fast healing 5 for a number of rounds equal to how much Exp is burned; 100 Exp per round of fast healing/temporary hp.

After a soul gem is drained of all its Exp it is rendered inert for one week, turning grey and dull in color and texture, after which it returns to its normal appearance. Gemstones damaged or sundered instantly lose all magical effects, the Exp is lost, and the stone crumbles to dust.

Note: CR 1 or lower creatures do not offer any Exp when drained with this gemstone.

Requirements: Craft Wondrous Item, Death Knell
Cost: 75 gp (Common); 150 gp (Lesser); 350 gp (Greater)

already there ;p

Deviston
2012-08-24, 03:29 AM
But... then why have this?

"After a soul gem is drained of all its Exp it is rendered inert for one week..."

With the ability to keep filling the gem you can simply drain all but 1 EXP and never allow to be fully drained. This would increase the cost by an extremely large amount.

LordErebus12
2012-08-24, 03:32 AM
But... then why have this?

"After a soul gem is drained of all its Exp it is rendered inert for one week..."

With the ability to keep filling the gem you can simply drain all but 1 EXP and never allow to be fully drained. This would increase the cost by an extremely large amount.

mainly because you cannot just choose to use a little, havent added it yet. 1 minute.

Editted: Changed it, read the green text.

Deviston
2012-08-24, 03:41 AM
http://www.guidedinspections.com/files/good_job.GIF

LordErebus12
2012-08-24, 03:45 AM
:P yay, praise!

Deviston
2012-08-24, 03:51 AM
Yeah, well done in general on the item, pricing will obviously have to be janked up buuuuut.... I'm terrible with items unless I build it ground up from the book. So I'm useless on that note.

Gnorman
2012-08-24, 04:00 AM
A very cool transliteration, and full of interesting ramifications for most game worlds.

Excellent work.

LordErebus12
2012-08-24, 04:01 AM
Yeah, well done in general on the item, pricing will obviously have to be janked up buuuuut.... I'm terrible with items unless I build it ground up from the book. So I'm useless on that note.

naturally the actual cost for a soul gem would be 12k normally, however i dont think that is fair if they're to be common enough for many characters to have them.

Deviston
2012-08-24, 04:05 AM
if they're to be common enough for many characters to have them.

Common you say? I wonder who would allow such a thing that is so strong (for item creation guys and anyone who would take HP damage) and so morally grey. Stealing a soul and trapping it! I forsee some Pelorians outlawing the things (sky rocketing their price and putting it only ont he black market) and even going as far as to hunting (or setting up a council of Soul Thief Hunters) those who use soul gems.

:)

LordErebus12
2012-08-24, 04:12 AM
Common you say? I wonder who would allow such a thing that is so strong (for item creation guys and anyone who would take HP damage) and so morally grey. Stealing a soul and trapping it! I forsee some Pelorians outlawing the things (sky rocketing their price and putting it only ont he black market) and even going as far as to hunting (or setting up a council of Soul Thief Hunters) those who use soul gems.

F**k those morally bleached Pelorians, may Shadow consume them all! *cough cough* i mean, we wouldnt want that...

Deviston
2012-08-24, 04:17 AM
Sorry, the reply is coming so late, I had to clean coffee off my keyboard and screen.

I lolled.

LordErebus12
2012-08-24, 04:24 AM
Sorry, the reply is coming so late, I had to clean coffee off my keyboard and screen.

I lolled.

Basically, if the entire world had millions of these from another age, all lying around, ready for use. yeah, the Pelorians will have a big problem with it, if the deity exists in that new age.

Imagine a world where magic was outlawed or at least greatly regulated, requiring guild sanctions as well as imperial consent to even learn magic.

The concept of a wandering mage would mean a life of an outlaw, without the ability to enter a thorp without being burned at the stake by the local priest and villagers.

These might be used by many in secret, so the overall ramifications might be that magic items (and by extension magic of arcane or even divine magic) are illegal.

Deviston
2012-08-24, 04:32 AM
Turdat. Here's how I think when posting a "new item" or "new class" or anything new really.

I treat it as based in the standard "D&D World" that the books are balanced around. If I plan the item for a different world however, say for example your proposed world, I would make my changes afterward. Reducing this cost or that, tossing in a requisite on this class or that.

Why, you ask?

So anyone who sees the item knows it is balanced by the books, and can use it in their world and change it as they choose. Unless the original item is balanced by the books, how could the viewer know how to modify it within balanced parameters for their game? How could your homebrew be used properly and safely?

LordErebus12
2012-08-24, 04:36 AM
Turdat. Here's how I think when posting a "new item" or "new class" or anything new really.

I treat it as based in the standard "D&D World" that the books are balanced around. If I plan the item for a different world however, say for example your proposed world, I would make my changes afterward. Reducing this cost or that, tossing in a requisite on this class or that.

Why, you ask?

So anyone who sees the item knows it is balanced by the books, and can use it in their world and change it as they choose. Unless the original item is balanced by the books, how could the viewer know how to modify it within balanced parameters for their game? How could your homebrew be used properly and safely?

noted. im editing it a bit

Deviston
2012-08-24, 05:08 AM
I don't want you to think I'm assaulting your thingy! But I reckon one day I will look onto this item and want to use it, and in this view I would want it book balanced so I can balance it for my DM's campaign.

LordErebus12
2012-08-24, 05:11 AM
I don't want you to think I'm assaulting your thingy! But I reckon one day I will look onto this item and want to use it, and in this view I would want it book balanced so I can balance it for my DM's campaign.

i did my best to increase my "homebrew prices" but i did add in a new section and a second set of costs, the by the book versions are base price 12,000 + Exp limit of gem in gp.

LordErebus12
2012-08-25, 06:23 PM
Artifact: Black Soul Gem added

Uncle Pine
2012-08-26, 03:47 AM
VERY GOOD! I really like this (mainly because I tried many times to figure out how soul gems would work in D&D but I didn't actually find any option).
Just a question: what's the DC of the Death knell effect of common, lesser and greater soul gems? You haven't listed the CL in the creation's requirement.

Also, in order to reduce the cost, you could make soul gems shatter after use, instead of become inert for a short time. This would make every single soul gem more valuable (i.e., imagine an evil wizard that want to create a lot of magic items: he/she would have to find huge stocks of soul gems, as well as souls, of course!)

LordErebus12
2012-08-26, 05:55 AM
VERY GOOD! I really like this (mainly because I tried many times to figure out how soul gems would work in D&D but I didn't actually find any option).
Just a question: what's the DC of the Death knell effect of common, lesser and greater soul gems? You haven't listed the CL in the creation's requirement.

Also, in order to reduce the cost, you could make soul gems shatter after use, instead of become inert for a short time. This would make every single soul gem more valuable (i.e., imagine an evil wizard that want to create a lot of magic items: he/she would have to find huge stocks of soul gems, as well as souls, of course!)

point taken... now they are cheaper. and work only once.

LordErebus12
2013-03-04, 10:14 PM
hmm, been thinking about this lately...

DracoDei
2013-03-05, 06:02 AM
I will just point out that bulls have several HD, and are probably at least CR 1.

People tend not to think of such things, so I just thought I would mention it.

LordErebus12
2013-03-05, 06:24 AM
I will just point out that bulls have several HD, and are probably at least CR 1.

People tend not to think of such things, so I just thought I would mention it.

to what point?

DracoDei
2013-03-05, 01:35 PM
to what point?
Oh, wait... they have to be at least CR 2 for this. Sorry, I misread.
Still they MIGHT even be that. Since it is based on the combat effectiveness of something that peasants kill every day and STAY peasants it is quite a bit cheesier than making undead cow stomachs or whatever*.

*I have a series of undead organs that I designed with the assumption that cows, rather than humanoids would be the most standard source creature.