PDA

View Full Version : Picking a PrC

GutterFace
2012-08-24, 06:25 AM
So i have a level (almost) 6 Human Warmage1/Duskblade4+

Does anyone know of a good prestige class to join up with a Duskblade???

any and all 3.5 eligible sources welcome.

sonofzeal
2012-08-24, 07:20 AM
Duskblade doesn't really lend itself naturally to PrCing since there's so many valuable class features, like channeling on a full attack. And since your power comes from a mix of martial and magical sources, you generally can't afford to let either lag too far unless you're transitioning into some other paradigm.

So.... what do you want to do? If you're happy with your fundamental Duskbladeitude, there really aren't many better options than sticking with the class. A ToB dip might be good, especially at higher levels, but that's all I'd recommend unless you have a specific goal in mind.

GutterFace
2012-08-24, 08:59 AM
thanks for the input. it looks like ill stick with Duskblade then for a while.

Urpriest
2012-08-24, 09:33 AM
What was the Warmage originally for? Understanding that could help us fit a Prestige Class to whatever sort of build you had planned.

GutterFace
2012-08-24, 10:10 AM
Well originally i took it because i used the Warmage ability warmage edge. since my int is an 18.

the bonus 4 damage when i attack with channeled spells is nice at low levels. this may have been a mistake but our adventures never last more than 10 levels so 1 level dip cant kill me...

i decided to couple this with Knowledge Devotion and really lay the hurt on people with a Great Axe.

1d12+3 (my avg for know devot) + spell dice + 3 + 4 warmage edge

Urpriest
2012-08-24, 10:12 AM
Well originally i took it because i used the Warmage ability warmage edge. since my int is an 18.

the bonus 4 damage when i attack with channeled spells is nice at low levels. this may have been a mistake but our adventures never last more than 10 levels so 1 level dip cant kill me...

i decided to couple this with Knowledge Devotion and really lay the hurt on people with a Great Axe.

1d12+3 (my avg for know devot) + spell dice + 3 + 4 warmage edge

So when you read Warmage edge and saw that it only worked on warmage spells, why didn't your DM let you trade out the level?

GutterFace
2012-08-24, 10:43 AM
First time DM. sadly i should have caught it at the time but i didnt.

eggs
2012-08-24, 11:45 AM
Eesh, even finding a good way of advancing the Warmage side isn't going to pull ahead in spell levels until ECL 14 (ignoring Versatile Spellcaster's contentious use).

Depending on how far you see the campaign going, Duskblade and Abjurant Champion are probably your best bets - DB if you expect to spend much time at or beyond ECL 14, Abjurant Champion if you don't (at worst, it can give some handy uses of swift actions and crank the CL on your Warmage dip).

dextercorvia
2012-08-24, 12:29 PM
If you aren't going past level 10, then you won't get Full Attack Channeling, anyway, and there are some good PrCs. The best is Chameleon.

You probably don't have the skills/feat for it right now though. You could try getting into Divine Crusader.

GutterFace
2012-08-24, 01:38 PM
Since my ac is going to be miserable. as i will need my stats to have a beefed up Str/Con....

would it be prudent for me to take Battle Caster and upgrade to Heavy Armor for more ac?

i dont suspect ill be able to just buy a bunch of magic armor since this DM is new.

also word from the DM is that i will be able to sub out the warmage level and take my first level as a Duskblade

score.

dextercorvia
2012-08-24, 01:55 PM
If you can sub out that level, consider subbing it out for a level of Beguiler and pick up Able Learner. Then you can easily get into Chameleon. You get the same great Int synergy, but that will open up the spells you can channel to a huge list. It also means you will have level 4 spells by level 10.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-24, 02:54 PM
Isn't able learner a level 1 only feat?

Talionis
2012-08-24, 04:21 PM
Isn't able learner a level 1 only feat?

Yah, but his DM is letting him Retrain his whole first level already, so changing a first level feat to gain entry to a Prestige Class he wants that requires that first level feat does make sense.

I agree with Dex, Chameleon is awesome for Duskblades especially when they can't go super high level anyway. You get access to so many Divine Spells later after you burn through your daily Divine spells you will be able to Change focus and have access to Arcane spells. The class starting with second level spells and going to Sixth level spells also allows you to "catch up" with casters in caster level and level of spell you can cast.