PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Ages of Athas (OOC)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Meltheim
2012-08-24, 10:29 AM
Welcome to the OOC thread for the Ages of Athas (Dark Sun) campaign.

Here's a link to the IC thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253697). It's going to take me a few days to get all the nuts and bolts together, but please feel free to get your character situated. I've posted the "Backstory" to set the scene, but I'll go ahead and post my first official start of the game with a brief intro for each of your characters.

In the meantime, please choose your text color.

Also, if you can, please try to describe the look of your character (or provide a picture if you have one). I will be using OOTS-style avatars for combat and it is easiest for me if you can give me an approximation of what your character looks like.

{TABLE=head]Player|Role|Character|Race|Class|Theme|Speech Color
Felhammer|Controller|Damakos (https://docs.google.com/viewer?srcid=0B6wAHuAvhXiqR0RMOXVhdFhLRVU&pid=explorer&efh=false&a=v)|Tiefling|Wizard|Veiled Alliance|Magenta
Tegu8788|Hybrid|Calder (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=435105)|Half-Elf|Battlemind/Warlock (Hybrid)|Gladiator|DarkOrange
Shular|Striker|Huren (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0ffCAiFMC0OYWVDNVVLdDJtZUE/edit)|Githzerai|Rogue|Wilder|Blue
Dimers|Multi|Alpha (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=532609)|Dwarf|Druid/Shaman|Fey Beast Tamer|Purple
Wdwune|Controller|Alderis Kashtar (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=652382)|Human|Psion|Noble Adept|Red[/table]

Here's a link to the MAP (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AiQVkOA2NPRAdDZjQ3IwNkpEOW8tLXNJUWlUM3V4Y 0E)

Here's an overland map of the Tablelands region
http://i.imgur.com/sCeRX.jpg

Meltheim
2012-08-24, 10:57 AM
Information on Athas
Eight Characteristics of Athas
The world of the Dark Sun setting is unique in several ways. Many familiar trappings of the Dungeons & Dragons game are missing or turned on their heads. Athas is not a place of shining knights and robed wizards, of deep forests and divine pantheons. To venture over the sands of Athas is to enter a world of savagery and splendor that draws on different traditions of fantasy and storytelling. Simple survival beneath the deep red sun is often its own adventure.

Newcomers to Athas have much to learn about the world, its people, and its monsters, but the following eight characteristics encapsulate the most important features of the Dark Sun campaign setting.

1. The World Is a Desert
Athas is a hot, arid planet covered with endless seas of dunes, lifeless salt flats, stony wastes, rocky badlands, thorny scrublands, and worse. From the first moments of dawn, the crimson sun beats down from an olive-tinged sky. Temperatures routinely exceed 100 degrees F. by midmorning and can reach 130 degrees or more by late afternoon. The wind is like the blast of a furnace, offering no relief from the oppressive heat. Dust and sand borne on the breeze coat everything with yellow-orange silt.

In this forbidding world, cities and villages exist only in a few oases or verdant plains. Some places don’t see rain for years at a time, and even in fertile regions, rain is little more than a humid mist that falls during a few weeks each year before giving way to long months of heat and drought. The world beyond these islands of civilization is a wasteland roamed by nomads, raiders, and hungry monsters.

Athas was not always a desert, and the parched landscape is dotted with the crumbling ruins of a planet that once was rich with rivers and seas. Ancient bridges over dry watercourses and empty stone quays that face seas of sand tell the tale of a world that is no more.

2. The World Is Savage
Life on Athas is brutal and short. Bloodthirsty raiders, greedy slavers, and hordes of inhuman savages overrun the deserts and wastelands. The cities are little better; each chokes in the grip of an ageless tyrant. The institution of slavery is widespread on Athas, and many unfortunates spend their lives in chains, toiling for brutal taskmasters. Every year hundreds of slaves, perhaps thousands, are sent to their deaths in bloody arena spectacles. Charity, compassion, kindness—these qualities exist, but they are rare and precious. Only a fool hopes for such riches.

3. Metal Is Scarce
Most arms and armor are made of bone, stone, wood, and other such materials. Mail or plate armor exists only in the treasuries of the sorcerer-kings. Steel blades are almost priceless, weapons that many heroes never see during their lifetimes.

4. Arcane Magic Defiles the World
The reckless use of arcane magic during ancient wars reduced Athas to a wasteland. To cast an arcane spell, one must gather power from the living world nearby. Plants wither to black ash, crippling pain wracks animals and people, and the soil is sterilized; nothing can grow in that spot again. It is possible to cast spells with care, preserving the world and avoiding any more damage to it, but defiling offers more power than preserving. As a result, sorcerers, wizards, and other wielders of arcane magic are reviled and persecuted across Athas regardless of whether they preserve or defile. Only the most powerful spellcasters can wield arcane might without fear of reprisal.

5. Sorcerer-Kings Rule the City-States
Terrible defilers of immense power rule all but one of the city-states. These mighty spellcasters have held their thrones for centuries; no one alive remembers a time before the sorcerer-kings. Some claim to be gods, and some claim to serve gods. Some are brutal oppressors, where others are more subtle in their tyranny.

The sorcerer-kings govern through priesthoods or bureaucracies of greedy, ambitious templars, lesser defilers who can call upon the kings’ powers. Only in the city-state of Tyr does a glimmer of freedom beckon, and powerful forces already conspire to extinguish it.

6. The Gods Are Silent
Long ago, when the planet was green, the brutal might of the primordials overcame the gods. Today, Athas is a world without deities. There are no clerics, no paladins, and no prophets or religious orders. Old shrines and crumbling temples lie amid the ancient ruins, testimony to a time when the gods spoke to the people of Athas. Nothing is heard now but the sighing of the desert wind.

In the absence of divine influence, other powers have come to prominence in the world. Psionic power is well known and widely practiced on Athas; even unintelligent desert monsters can have deadly psionic abilities. Shamans and druids call upon the primal powers of the world, which are often sculpted by the influence of elemental power.

7. Fierce Monsters Roam the World
The desert planet has its own deadly ecology. Athas has no cattle, swine, or horses; instead, people tend flocks of erdlus, ride on kanks or crodlus, and draw wagons with inixes and mekillots. Wild creatures such as lions, bears, and wolves are nonexistent. In their place are terrors such as the id fiend, the baazrag, and the tembo. Perhaps the harsh environment of Athas breeds creatures tough and vicious enough to survive it, or maybe the touch of ancient sorcery poisoned the wellsprings of life and inflicted monster after monster on the dying world. Either way, the deserts are perilous, and only a fool or a lunatic travels them alone.

8. Familiar Races Aren’t What You Expect
Typical fantasy stereotypes don’t apply to Athasian heroes. In many Dungeons & Dragons settings, elves are wise, benevolent forest dwellers who guard their homelands from intrusions of evil. On Athas, elves are a nomadic race of herders, raiders, peddlers, and thieves. Halflings aren’t amiable riverfolk; they’re xenophobic headhunters and cannibals who hunt and kill trespassers in their mountain forests. Goliaths—or half-giants, as they are commonly known—are brutal mercenaries who serve as elite guards and enforcers for the sorcerer-kings and their templars in many city-states

The Big 16
1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

D&D 4th Edition

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

Dark Sun campaign setting

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

4-5 players

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

This forum

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

Characters will start at Level 2 and can choose a Background specific to Dark Sun for a +2 skill bonus as well as a Theme specific to Dark Sun (does not have to be from the DS Campaign Setting, but must be appropriate for the setting).

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

Characters will have 250 gp to purchase all of their equipment, including adventurer’s kits, weapons, armor, etc.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

There are no gods in Dark Sun, so divine classes are not allowed. Also, I would prefer if there were no Essentials classes, though I will listen if you can make a good argument for it.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

No "Subraces" (Gold Dwarf, Wild Elf, etc.) are allowed. Other than that, you can choose from the following:

Deva
Dragonborn (Dray in this setting)
Dwarf
Eladrin
Elf
Genasi (no water-soul)
Githzerai
Goliath (Half-Giant in this setting)
Half-Elf
Halfling
Half-Orc
Human
Mul
Shardmind
Shifter (Razorclaw or Longtooth)
Thri-Kreen
Tiefling

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

Standard 22 point buy (starting at 10/10/10/10/10/8)

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Alignment is not much of an issue – I won’t hold you to it (i.e. would you really do that, you’re lawful good?) but I ask that there are no overtly evil characters.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

I do allow multi-classing and hybrids, so long as there are not any divine classes included in the combination.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

All rolls will be made with the forum dice roller. I will roll initiative and enemy attacks publicly, and I will roll passive perception/insight privately. Players should make all skill/attack rolls publicly. In cases where there are a lot of modifiers on a particular roll, players should ‘spell out’ the modifiers so that I can easily see them. i.e. 1d20+9 (+6 normal attack +2 for CA and +1 for Infusion)

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Skill challenges – I use “Rodrigo’s Rules” (from the Critical Hit Podcast). In a skill challenge, you can choose any skill that you can justify, but you cannot use the same skill two turns in a row and you cannot use the skill that the player before you used. If you fail the check, you can use an Action Point to reroll the skill and attempt to succeed.
Weapon Breakage - I use the Sly Flourish variant for weapon breakage:
Weapon Breakage (at will)Your weapon shatters upon your foe's armor.
No Action
Trigger: You roll a 1 on an attack roll.
Effect: You may reroll the current attack roll with a +2 bonus to attack. After that attack, you have -4 to your attack rolls until the end of your next turn.

Inherent Bonuses: I will be using the optional Inherent Bonus rule in this campaign.
In Dark Sun, magic items are much less common than other fantasy campaigns. All PCs in the campaign get inherent bonuses to their Attack, Damage, AC, and Defenses based on level. (While heroes in other worlds rely on a larger stable of magical arms and armor, PCs in this campaign rely more on the grit and experience they accumulate surviving the harsh world of Athas than a shiny new sword.)

Rules on page 209 in the Dark Sun Campaign Setting.

Mechanical Benefit: (These bonuses can be enabled in the character builder)

Attack and Damage: All characters gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls at 2nd, 7th, 12th, 17th, 22nd, and 27th level. (These bonuses stack, so at 7th you have +2 total, at 12th you have +3 total, etc.)

Defenses: All characters gain a +1 bonus to AC, Fortitude, Reflex, and Will at 4th, 9th, 14th, 19th, 24th, and 29th level. (These bonuses stack, above)

Inherent Bonuses and magical items: If you have a magical item that provides a bonus to attack, damage, or defenses you may choose to use that bonus or your character’s inherent bonuses (unless otherwise noted). You may use a magical weapon to attack with a power but use your inherent bonuses to attack and damage – if you do so you may still use the critical bonus and properties of the weapon.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

Characters should have a brief background (1 paragraph is fine, but I will read more if you write more) that explains why they are in Tyr and how they are available for adventuring. Feel free to make it simple (i.e. you are a caravan guard) or you can try to tie it to your theme or background. Feel free to link your personal story to the larger themes of Tyr or Athas in general.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?

A lot of this will depend on the players’ choices, but my plan is for about 50/50 between RP and encounters. The encounters themselves will be split between skill challenge/puzzle type and combat.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?

In general, as long as the feat/power is suitable for the race/class combination, I will be OK with it. However, I would prefer to limit the essentials/dragon materials. If you have a good argument for a feat (i.e. improved defenses) then we can talk about it.

Timeline:

King Kalak ruled Tyr for many years under an iron fist. His disregard for the use of slave labor won him no friends, but his strength more than quelled any talk of rebellion - until recently.

Tithian, Kalak's High Templar and right-hand man, led a long-planned slave revolt and overthrew King Kalak, biding his time until the Heartwood Spear could be in a position to be thrown through the Sorcerer-King's chest and toppling his reign over Tyr. Tithian did not do this alone, however. As it has now become public knowledge, Tithian was aided in his assassination by several others:

Rikus - a mul ex-gladiator, who planted the first seeds of rebellion and wielded the Heartwood Spear itself
Sadira - a half-elf ex-slave
Agis of Asticles - a high-ranking noble of House Asticles in Tyr, practitioner of The Way
Neeva - ex-gladiator

These 5, known as the Deposers of Kalak, have spent the past 6 months doing what they can to restore order within the free state of Tyr. They have had to appease rival factions on all sides, from former slaves and commonoers to the House Merchants, Nobles, and Kalak's own former Templars.

SandDemon
2012-08-24, 11:22 AM
Lazam

Hey folks,

Looking forward to playing with you all! I'll grab deepskyblue if that's alright. For a character description, are you looking for more detail than what I originally had in place? Posted here for ease:

Compared to most tribal halflings, Lazam hides a lot of his appearance - the wrath from the Kings is always looming and he covers himself in desert clothing over his mekillot scale armor and a filter mask. There would be time to be a true leader but he would give Athas nothing if he died pridefully.

He's not exactly 100% under desert clothing and the mask (no mini Jawa!) - you can tell he's a halfling, just he likes to hide his main features.

Felhammer
2012-08-24, 12:23 PM
Damakos shall speak with the color Magenta, for it is the least likely of all colors to be see in the wasteland.

EDIT: Found a picture for Damakos: https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSBn8A5eUF-hskeoaONrmFgEzaJWMPEGZW8t3xRMHCoaX0-NqIf5w

EDIT: Backstory for Damakos: Damakos is a one time Pirate now new-found member of the Veiled Alliance. Damakos of the Waste was born into a familial clan of pirates who raced across the silt sea, preying upon all who dared enter their realm. Debauchery was a way of life for the clan had a debt that could never be repaid. Butchery, savagery and all other manner of basal/carnal desires were perpetrated upon their victims. Why lead a virtuous life when the wasteland was so inhospitable? Better to enjoy the moment than to die a lonely in a city.

This way of life served Demakos well for the first 15 years of his life. Then the Wanderer entered his life. The Wanderer was a Wizard and a preserver. When the Tieflings set upon him like ravenous wolves, the Wanderer merely flicked his fingers and slaughtered the whole clan, save for one young man - Demakos. The Wanderer approached the frightened boy and said "You are special. I have come half way across the world to find you. You are now my apprentice." Awe struck by the man's power and confidence, Demakos left his life as a Pirate behind and joined the Wanderer. Together they traveled the world, battling defilers and other untoward folk. As the two adventured together, they became like father and son. When Demaoks turned twenty years old, the two went to Tyr, where the Wanderer initiated the Tiefling into the Veiled Alliance.

Now a full fledged member of the Alliance, Demakos was set loose upon the world to aid other preservers, defeat defilers and, most importantly of all, topple the Sorcerer-Kings. To accomplish his goals, Demakos needs experience and the best place to find that is in Tyr.

EDIT: Current Supplies Damakos Has:
Backpack
Bedroll
Belt Pouch
Desert Clothing
Filter Mask
Giant Hair Rope
Survival Day x3
Dagger
Spellbook
Alchemists' Reagents x20

Tegu8788
2012-08-24, 12:52 PM
Calder well speak thusly, in dark orange. Here is the posted backstory that I can expand upon.

He is a former Templar that was a victim of political backstabbing, and sentenced to a life in the arena. Dark Sun is already harsh, but the beating he takes in the arena every day has made him very tough, and he's got a personality to match. He's aware of how mortal he is, and looks to find temporary allies to help him achieve his goals. Now that he is free, he has participated in several fights defending Tyr from other cities, but he does not trust any governing body, having seen the best and the worst of what it does. He has a moral code, to help others when it's possible, but he's no bleeding heart. If someone hires him then tries to stab him in the back, he has no qualms about smashing their head in. He has learned to keep his powers close to the vest, despite reveling in the abilities he possess. Away of how risky knowledge of his arcane powers are, and unsure how he still can access them, his king having abandoned him long ago, he does everything he can to mask them as psionics. He seeks personal power, not to reign over others, but so that no one can reign over him.

My intent was for him to have some influence in Tyr, being a former Templar he knows how to run a government, being a gladiator he is popular with the people. However, he is distrusted by the Templars, and his hot temper makes him better suited for leading fighters outside the gate than making compromises inside them. He's the most magnanimous of my characters.

Meltheim
2012-08-24, 01:29 PM
FYI i'm so tempted to make everyone with a filter mask have a mini Bane mask :smallbiggrin:

SandDemon
2012-08-24, 01:38 PM
FYI i'm so tempted to make everyone with a filter mask have a mini Bane mask :smallbiggrin:

Mini-bane :belkar: elemental priest...yeah, I could see that :smallamused:

Meltheim
2012-08-24, 01:39 PM
Yes! Lazam = Belkar w Bane mask. That's the image that is pervading my imagination right now.

Felhammer
2012-08-24, 01:47 PM
Damakos speaking through a filter mask, We take Tyr from the corrupt! The rich! The oppressors of generations who have kept you down with myths of opportunity, and we give it back to you... the people. Tyr is yours. None shall interfere. Do as you please. Start by storming Blackgate, and freeing the oppressed! Step forward those who would serve. For an army will be raised. The powerful will be ripped from their decadent nests, and cast out into the hot world that we know and endure. Courts will be convened. Spoils will be enjoyed. Blood will be shed. The templars will survive, as they learn to serve true justice. This great city... it will endure. Try will survive!"

Tegu8788
2012-08-24, 01:48 PM
The survival kit and filter mask are in the Dark Sun campaign guide, yes?

I'm assuming that it's more effective than a simple scarf over one's face.

Edit: Does this make Calder Robin? Also, the idea behind the tattoos on Calder are they fill in between scars he has. He has a lot of scars. Mohawk because he's been partially scalped.

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/015/f/f/Wardancer_by_grandanvil.jpg

Arillius
2012-08-24, 02:05 PM
Van the Scarred will be using Slategray for his choice of color

I'll have his pictures up in a few.

Pictures
1 (http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs44/f/2009/071/7/e/Old_Warrior___Colored_by_kErNeL_sCrIpT.png)
2 (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_sxBhEd_EAsY/TLIAoK-5oOI/AAAAAAAAAB4/f2RozcGD24g/s1600/fantasy_warrior-200310-SM.jpg)

The first one is his face, the second one is just right save for the hair and the armor/weaponry. He's got a sand colored chitin (scale) armor, a carapace heavy shield of the same color and and a longsword fashioned out of bone.

Background
There are a lot of rumors about Van. Most of them are probably not true. Like the one that a Dragon tried to eat him but found him to tough, the one where a sorceror-king had sent a hundred men to slay him but it only made him mad or perhaps even the one that said he once stood in the middle of sand storm and didn't even get a scratch. As rumors go, they're fairly ridiculous. Most of them, however, are born out of a healthy respect, or fear depending on whose side your on, for the man known as Van the Scarred. Unlikely as it is, the most common and unlikely rumor is actually true. Van is something that's so rare people thought it was impossible. A middle aged mercenary.

Now, don't get me wrong, everyone knows that middle aged people aren't that rare. But by that age, mercenaries have usually done one of three things. They've been killed, they've been hired onto a cushy permanent job with a noble, or they've retired. An old mercenary is a lot like a stupid one. Rare and liable to get himself killed. Judging from all the scars on his body, a number of people have seemed to try against this imposing warrior. Judging from the fact that he still walks, even if the cold of the desolate nights does make his scars ache, suggests that they didn't succeed.

The age of this man seems to be the only remarkable thing about him though, despite all the rumors of his terrifying skill and ruthlessness. He has a lot of scars, one even going right down the center of his left eye which is covered with an eye patch not big enough to hide the damage, but most people these days do. He's a heavy drinker, but who isn't that can afford it in his line of work?

The fact is that the rumors about this man seem to speak of someone completely different. He's a decent fighter, but to match the skill whispered about in dark alley's, to have the terrifying drive to do what makes for good stories to scare the kids with, one has to do better then decent. Like a lot of folk, Van's past is probably filled with stories. And, like a lot of folk, their stories he'd probably rather forget, if one were to judge by how much he drank.

SandDemon
2012-08-24, 02:37 PM
Is it assumed we know each other or not? Just hesitant to read their backgrounds if we don't know each other.

Meltheim
2012-08-24, 02:47 PM
Is it assumed we know each other or not? Just hesitant to read their backgrounds if we don't know each other.

You guys can make that decision amongst yourselves. I will not force it either way :smallbiggrin:

Just let me know so that I can write storylines appropriately. This weekend is going to be my brainstorming session.

I will create a unifying event, of course, that brings you all together, but whether you come together in groups or as individuals is based on you all.

Tegu8788
2012-08-24, 02:47 PM
It's always possible we know of each other, but not actually know each other. I wouldn't worry about reading things, as along as you can keep OOC knowledge and IC knowledge separate.

Now that we are locked in, we can always start making some ties. For example, the Templar that betrayed Calder's first mission was slaughtering Van's family. A nice indirect tie. Not forced, but a starting point.

Meltheim
2012-08-24, 02:51 PM
Also, i will try to put together some 'common knowledge' that you would all have about the city, politics and surrounding environs

Tegu8788
2012-08-24, 02:59 PM
Appreciated. Do you have an idea of about how long it's been since the dear old king got a giant toothpick stuck in him? I'd like Calder to have been in the arena that day, and from there to whatever time we start, he'd have been working with the existing ruling body to enforce some kind of order. Somewhat resuming his Templar duties, but as an outsider.

Anyone that wants to connect with him, he's got plenty of opportunities, just PM and we can work something out.

Arillius
2012-08-24, 03:00 PM
Probably case by case basis.

Van's background contains mostly rumors. If you've done deals with mercenaries, you've heard of him. Everything from the meanest thing to walk the world since dragons too a drunken slob who can't keep his eyes open long enough to spot the sun.

Also, Tegu, that's one of the details about Van that's not common knowledge. XD Not in the least.

Meltheim
2012-08-24, 03:08 PM
Appreciated. Do you have an idea of about how long it's been since the dear old king got a giant toothpick stuck in him? I'd like Calder to have been in the arena that day, and from there to whatever time we start, he'd have been working with the existing ruling body to enforce some kind of order. Somewhat resuming his Templar duties, but as an outsider.

Anyone that wants to connect with him, he's got plenty of opportunities, just PM and we can work something out.

RE: Timeline - that is part of what I'm putting together. I'd say it's probably been 6 months, but I'll do something official and edit the beginning of this thread.

Tegu8788
2012-08-24, 03:31 PM
Well then, that will be OOC knowledge. Calder has probably heard rumors of Van, but no actually interaction, less they meet in the Dark Sun equivalent of a tavern.

Meltheim
2012-08-24, 03:35 PM
Here's an attempt at Lazam

http://i.imgur.com/nv0US.png

Tegu8788
2012-08-24, 04:00 PM
For the record, Calder is going to be using the trident primarily. Swapping net for shield. Mostly it's flavor. I just like tridents, and since magic weapons are unlikely, having a weapliment doesn't matter. He's covered in weapons, because things break. Literal scale armor, I want to try and keep the kama. The image of him spinning around, skirt spinning, shield up blocking attacks and trident poised to lunge while the giant mop of red hair blows in the wind, is cool.

http://images.wikia.com/deadliestwarrior/images/3/3c/Trident_and_net_gladiator.jpg

SandDemon
2012-08-24, 04:25 PM
Here's an attempt at Lazam

http://i.imgur.com/nv0US.png

:smallbiggrin: Awesome. No mini-bane mask eh? Arillius, mind speaking about how your char is an elemental priest? Think there could be something made there for our characters to know of or at least understand each other.

Background:
Born into one of the darkest times of life, Lazam knew nothing of it as he was showered with love as a child of the Forest Ridge. The town and pyramid of Ogo was his home and even from birth the Way was present in his life. Nurtured and shown the ways of the tribe, Lazam grew into quite the amiable leader despite lacking what some would consider "smarts" - Lazam knew very little because he didn't think that much else mattered growing up. Everything was brought down to its simplest form of desires and necessity and he handled everything in this basic manner. As he reached the age of decision it was the Spirit Oracle who saw this simplicity and built upon it. "Lazam, my special child, you will bring the rain. Venerate the living elements of Athas and stand among them. But to understand necessity, you must be deprived of the forest gifts. Rain only comes with the storm. Be hardened by the sun and listen to the world's cry, Lazam." From then on, Lazam always seemed distant - as if he was in two worlds at once. Led by the echoes of elemental spirits, Lazam followed signs south through the Forest Ridge and finally left it by crossing the Ringing Mountains....finding himself in the rebel city of Tyr. Elemental priests were enemies of the Sorceror Kings and Queen - perhaps he was led here to learn something specific.

Lazam is an elemental priest, using the Way to continue on his path for the furthering of life....well, that and a bloodied pair of wrist razors to extract it when necessary. He takes sustenance seriously and like most halflings has no qualms with eating another to survive. His goal as he now sees it is to restore the balance of the elements and learn whatever he can of the lacking element of water. Life would always be hard for him but Lazam welcomed the challenge. Compared to most tribal halflings, Lazam hides a lot of his appearance - the wrath from the Kings is always looming and he covers himself in desert clothing over his mekillot scale armor and a filter mask. There would be time to be a true leader but he would give Athas nothing if he died pridefully.

Arillius
2012-08-24, 04:34 PM
He actually doesn't talk about it much and passes of what little he can do as 'psionics' so... XD

Meltheim
2012-08-24, 04:37 PM
Here's an attempt at Damakos. Robes are harder than I remember!

http://i.imgur.com/9hSUw.png

Shular
2012-08-24, 04:38 PM
Guess I'll go with Blue.

Huren was part of the resistance that overthrew Tyr's sorcerer king, mainly through scouting/information gathering/spying. If any other characters were involved with that, then there's a chance they know each other.

Since the revolution, he's been trying to figure out his place. He supports himself mostly as an information merchant, though will resort to petty theft if he needs to eat/drink.

Meltheim
2012-08-24, 04:38 PM
:smallbiggrin: Awesome. No mini-bane mask eh? Arillius, mind speaking about how your char is an elemental priest? Think there could be something made there for our characters to know of or at least understand each other.

Well you said that his face is always covered, so the mask is underneath the cloth. I can change it if you want, so just let me know.

Felhammer
2012-08-24, 04:40 PM
Here's an attempt at Damakos. Robes are harder than I remember!

http://i.imgur.com/9hSUw.png

I'm stunned! that looks great! :smallbiggrin:

Arillius
2012-08-24, 04:41 PM
Oh, right, Van's right eye is completely blind, white and has a large scar running through it.

SandDemon
2012-08-24, 04:42 PM
Well you said that his face is always covered, so the mask is underneath the cloth. I can change it if you want, so just let me know.

I'm more inclined to see the mask just because I think it'll look great :) Maybe the clothing that would go over it is hanging loosely around his neck and he pulls it up when necessary.

Tegu8788
2012-08-24, 04:46 PM
Yeah, passing magic off as psionics is going to be a common theme in this game I suspect. I've looked for magic powers with Psychic Keywords.

We are a pretty melee heavy party. As such, I'm keeping my Warlock at-will that has some range. Put Eldritch Strike would be a perfect replacement if the group thinks we have enough ranged fighters.

Edit: Calder could have reason to know Huren. Between Calder looking for information about the other cities and possibly fighting together against those other cities, it would not be unreasonable for them to have run into each other.

Arillius
2012-08-24, 04:51 PM
Heavy Melee, only one guy with a good MBA, and it's the warlord who could get awesome powers that grant other people MBA's. XD

Felhammer
2012-08-24, 04:52 PM
Wow the Wizard is the only purely ranged character? How strange.

Tegu8788
2012-08-24, 05:03 PM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking about. Huren has the Dex to do ranged combat but no powers for it, Calder's got one at-will that's ranged 10 or melee, and the wizard is all ranged. I can swap Hand of Blight for a Con MBA, but that takes out any real ranged power he has.

We have two battleminds, a class known for lacking a good MBA.

Can either of the Leaders pick up some ranged powers?

Do we need to have ranged powers? Two Defenders, Two Strikers, Two Leaders, and a Controller is a pretty solid party. We won't be the stickiest of groups, but hopefully with two people throwing out heals we can spread the damage around.

Arillius
2012-08-24, 05:09 PM
We have two defenders and two healers, one of which has awesome defenses. If anyone in this group starts dying, somethings up. XD Even for darksun, our group is insane.

I could go archer Warlord if Ranged was a really big deal, but that's not very good for a group without MBA's.

Meltheim
2012-08-24, 05:22 PM
I'm more inclined to see the mask just because I think it'll look great :) Maybe the clothing that would go over it is hanging loosely around his neck and he pulls it up when necessary.

how's this?

http://i.imgur.com/rOFJN.png

Tegu8788
2012-08-24, 05:32 PM
It wouldn't be too hard I think to pick up a Ranged power since Warlords can use Str for those attacks. But your call. Van's defenses are plenty high for melee. And I counted Calder as a Defender and a Striker, since he can do both at once, the Defender mechanic not requiring Battlemind powers.

But don't doubt Dark Sun's lethality. All my characters took Toughness for a reason. I would not be surprised if we have a least one person in the negatives before level 4, if not flat out dead. The world is just as likely to kill you as any monster.

Considering the only ranged strikers belong to the Arcane source, one that's skirmished on this world, it makes some sense that we are melee heavy.

Meltheim
2012-08-24, 05:55 PM
I picked you guys because of the dynamic - don't worry about trying to change your powers to suit hypotheticals (unless you really want to).

I'll pick my monsters based on what you can just baaaaarely handle.

Tegu8788
2012-08-24, 06:01 PM
That's good to know. I still want group input on the warlock at-will I picked, both would work thematically. I picked hand of blight because it's the Dark Sun warlock power, and range options (free CA doesn't hurt either.) Eldritch Strike gives someone an MBA for the warlord to exploit, and makes Calder a good deal stickier.

SandDemon
2012-08-24, 06:25 PM
how's this?

http://i.imgur.com/rOFJN.png

Perfect!

On the note of going ranged, I think it'd be best if I stick to what I've got thus far. Ranged Ardents are a different beast and I kind of picked a leader who can wade in there. I'd rather have the ability to wade into combat and die along side those I'm helping :belkar: Granted, you better cover me :smallwink: I do plan on focusing though on things that'll allow us to handle the mob mentality (swapping positions with people, granting movement, etc).

I did change one power on my sheet - got rid of Scion of Stone (the elemental priest one) for another that'll help close combat (Sympathetic Agony). Main reason? I had no idea Scion of Stone was a daily and not an encounter power....and it doesn't seem that amazing for once a day. If ya want me to change it back that's fine, just didn't realize it was a daily.

Meltheim
2012-08-24, 06:44 PM
Calder, attempt 2

Tattoos

http://i.imgur.com/B7eog.png

Tegu8788
2012-08-24, 06:45 PM
Don't worry. Calder's had his eyes opened to the suffering of the people. He has the ability to protect, so he has the responsibility to do so. He would rather kill something faster than throw himself in front of a blow. So, he'll cover you, but expose yourself and you'll get hit.

I plan on him picking out the second largest threat and downing it, going to the third, fourth, and so on. Let the pure Battlemind handle number 1, and the Wizard can work his way up the threat scale.

Edit: Yes, but the tattoos don't have to be as complicated as the picture. Part of it's to hide the scars, part war paint. Only other two things, can you make the hair even bigger, and add the wrist razor? He's always armed to some extend. And having the mohawk and kama be spiny are visually appealing. Mohawk bangs sticking out from under a hood.

Meltheim
2012-08-24, 07:02 PM
hair bigger, and add a hood?

edit: i'm heading home for the day - i'll make the rest of the characters and changes when I'm back in the office on Monday.

Have a great weekend all!

Tegu8788
2012-08-24, 07:08 PM
No, just bigger hair. If he wore a hood, his hair would stick out under it. Big hair. If it laid flat, it would cover his head like normal. Except he's been scalped on both sides, so he doesn't have hair on the sides.

He keeps it stiff by soaking it in the blood of his enemies.

Felhammer
2012-08-24, 07:11 PM
He keeps it stiff by soaking it in the blood of his enemies.

That sounds unhygienic and smelly. :smalltongue:

Tegu8788
2012-08-24, 07:20 PM
He's a gladiator that tattoos his open wounds. Smelly comes with the job. Shoot, the world. Unhygienic is also par for the course here.

But it doesn't stay up for more than a few hours normally.

Dimers
2012-08-24, 10:57 PM
Divine poop, you people work fast. :smalleek: I had my busiest day yet at my current workplace. Didn't have two minutes for checking the games. Heck, most of the day was spent catching up from "that thing I started ten minutes ago before the next person interrupted needing help RIGHTNOW".

It was fun. In a sort of demented and sweaty way. :smalltongue:

Okay, colors ... How's this look? Yeah, I guess Green is about right.

The conversation so far has been too much for my sleep-deprived brain, though I'll go back over it tomorrow. My TL;DR comments: Eveve's spirit OA simply gives an ally an RBA (yay, more confusion about basic attacks!), and she might know just about anybody already. She's provided a lot of cheap or free mundane healing recently, including (e.g.) for rebels, and some of the locals vouch for her moral character because she's been an honest worker migrating around the area for a couple decades.

More later. *yawn* ---> :smallsigh:

EDIT:

I would not be surprised if we have a least one person in the negatives before level 4, if not flat out dead.

Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone had been in the negatives a couple times before the fourth fight. :smallamused:

Felhammer
2012-08-24, 11:24 PM
Here's my bet: Some one gets close to dying before we hit level 2.

Tegu8788
2012-08-25, 06:33 AM
Well, since we are starting at level 2, that's just fluff.

Felhammer
2012-08-25, 09:34 AM
Well, since we are starting at level 2, that's just fluff.

:smalleek: Oops, I meant 3 :smallamused:

Tegu8788
2012-08-25, 01:50 PM
That I can see happening, for certain. I made 4 back-ups for a reason.

Dimers
2012-08-25, 03:27 PM
So we have five people trained in Insight ... nice, we are gonna understand the hell out of social situations. And since not a single character has Bluff or Diplomacy trained, we are gonna understand that we're pissing off everyone around us :smallbiggrin: Also four people trained in Endurance and three in Nature. That's handy for outdoor survival.

Meltheim, if you have no objection, I'm going to switch Eveve's Dex and Str scores. I just can't see her being more graceful than she is strong. I'm also going to go back to a Mythweavers sheet, because I find them easier to use.

Eveve won't be wielding her shield while she walks around. That means most of the time she won't take a skill penalty to Endurance -- it would only apply for Endurance checks made during fights or situations where she has to be ready at a moment's notice.

Meltheim
2012-08-25, 04:45 PM
Dimers - I don't mind at all.

Dimers
2012-08-25, 05:15 PM
Need a ruling, please. The battlemind feature Persistent Harrier triggers on "An enemy hits or misses you with an attack for the first time during an encounter." The phrasing is imprecise -- it could mean either the first time THAT enemy hits/misses me, or the first time ANYONE does.

So let's say we're fighting a skeletal ogre and a bunch of skeleton archers. The ogre goes first and attacks me, but I'd rather use Persistent Harrier on the archers (so I can teleport to 'em and mess with their ranged attacks, and besides, Calder already marked the ogre). If I don't use the power against the ogre, can I save it for the archers?

Meltheim
2012-08-25, 06:00 PM
It is a power you can choose to use the first time an enemy hits or misses, whether it is the first enemy to hit/miss or the 10th enemy. It just has to be a reaction to their first hit/miss against you

Tegu8788
2012-08-25, 06:05 PM
Does our rogue have a good way to get CA regularly?

Dimers
2012-08-25, 09:23 PM
Does our rogue have a good way to get CA regularly?

Us battleminds can move around pretty easily for defenders, so we can both help with flanking. Aside from that ...

I have spirit's prey once per encounter. If an enemy moves away from my spirit, I can let Huren make a RBA with CA. Could let someone else do it, too, but Huren offers the best average damage output. He'd need to have a dagger ready to throw or a bolt ready to shoot, though.

If I hit with a fully-augmented twisted eye, the target is blinded, and that imposes CA. I probably won't do that often, though, because I want to keep power points available to make my OAs better (using a less-augmented twisted eye). Maybe after third level, when I get more pp. If I survive that long. :smallwink: My theme power also imposes CA on a hit.

In the process of looking up spirit's prey, I found out why it's okay for multiclass shaman to get an encounter healing power -- in addition to the extra feat cost, they have to use a standard action to call the spirit before using the heal. Ouch. I'll try to have the spirit in action ahead of time if it looks like trouble ahead. Won't help in an ambush, though, which is when we'd need it most.

EDIT: Huh. The spirit summons utility power implies that a companion doesn't go away at the end of an encounter, unlike basically every other power. If that's true, I'd just keep the spirit around all the time.

Tegu8788
2012-08-25, 09:59 PM
That was my impression, when I first made a Ranger|Cleric/Shaman for a friend, that while it takes "longer" to summon the spirit, it never actually has to go away. If it's killed it's a problem, but other than that, permanent spirit companions are a go.

I ask, because the at-will choice I think comes down to whether granting CA is more important or having a strong MBA. I'm thinking, if we have enough ways to help the rogue get his extra damage, I'll switch to Eldritch Strike, focusing on melee, and giving our Warlord someone to work with.

Dimers
2012-08-25, 10:12 PM
I'm thinking, if we have enough ways to help the rogue get his extra damage, I'll switch to Eldritch Strike, focusing on melee, and giving our Warlord someone to work with.

The Playgrounders keep saying that a rogue never has trouble getting CA. There are lots of things that impose it, including many rogue feats and powers. I haven't paid enough attention during play to notice, but I bet it's true ... these folks are usually right, if maybe a little overdramatic :smallamused: I think it'd round out the party better (and make for a stickier, more [email protected]$$ Templar) to go with eldritch strike.

Dimers
2012-08-25, 10:25 PM
Dimers - I don't mind at all.

Are you also okay with me switching out battlemind utility concussive response for skill utility iron resurgence? Maybe less effective, but more in line with Eveve's healing motif.

Tegu8788
2012-08-25, 10:30 PM
Then done and done.

"Spinning around he strikes his foe in the chest with the but of his trident, with such tremendous force that his enemy stumbles backwards in pain."

I can see that coming in handy with some hazardous terrain. Van, you stick with Calder, and he can push things all around. Just realizing, Calder makes a half-decent melee controller.

As often, if you can make one of my characters do something advantageous, do it. Rolls and moves are fine. If I'm setting up a combo, I'll say so.

As to skills, this is Dark Sun. If I could double train in Endurance, I would. I can just as easily swap Intimidate for Diplomacy. I ran out of skills to represent what I wanted him to do.

Meltheim
2012-08-25, 10:49 PM
Are you also okay with me switching out battlemind utility concussive response for skill utility iron resurgence? Maybe less effective, but more in line with Eveve's healing motif.

Sure thing. Oh, and give me the link to Eveve's mythweavers sheet so I can update the first post.

Dimers
2012-08-25, 10:51 PM
I'm still filling out the sheet. Delving into the details is what's making me notice all these nuances and possibilities.

Speaking of which -- where can I go to find out about mounts and beasts of burden in Athas? Aside from the Dark Sun book, that is.

Meltheim
2012-08-26, 12:47 AM
There aren't many

Crodlu
Erdlu
Inix
Krank
Mekillot

That's what I can think of off the top of my head.

edit: Found some info from http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/new-campaign/wikis/society#beastsofburden

Beasts of Burden

“Of burden” is a bit redundant on Athas, isn’t it? What part of fighting for survival in a land of predators and savages could not be burdensome? These beasts represent, almost in its entirety, the list of creatures whose nature has not yet been so twisted under the dying Sun that they can’t still be trained and managed safely (and the mekillot pushes this definition, to be sure).

As mounts, pack animals, transports, and sources of food, each of these beasts (crodlu, erdlu, inix, kank, and mekillot) serves the peoples of the City-States and beyond in multiple capacities.

Crodlu

Crodlu are long-legged and long-necked beasts resembling large, reptilian erdlu. They share the erdlu’s resilience to the Athasian climate and a tolerance for all forms of dietary opportunities. Instead of wings, they posses two spindly arms that end in fierce claws used to rake combatants when forced to self defense. Able to make acceptable speeds when burdened with up to 150kgs thanks to their powerful hind legs, crodlu are preferred as mounts and pack animals. When grouped, males can become aggressive; their natural social structure is that of a mid-sized pack (15-30 animals) with a dominant male. This makes them less suited to herding than erdlu or kanks.

Not that it matters much. The animals, when reared in domestication, are eminently trainable. Their poor eyesight makes them trusting mounts and reliable pack animals, while their uncanny olfactory can offer early warnings in travel to handlers acute enough to understand crodlu behavior. When standing upright with neck outstretched they are at least three and a half meters tall.

Erdlu

A two meter tall, fleet of foot, scale-skinned, flightless bird. At around 100kg, most of which is quite edible, the erdlu is the perfect herd animal and well adapted to the Brown Age rigors of Athas. They naturally flock together for defense against predators, can outrun (over short distances, maybe a kilometer or so) many adversaries, and are possessed of unflappable digestive tracks. From parched vegetation and briny water to small lizards and insects, they pretty much take care of their own dietary needs. Erdlu eggs are a traveler’s best friend.

The erdlu is, in many respects, one of the pillars of demihuman life on Athas. Beyond being well adapted and easy to rear and herd, the animal seems almost purposefully engineered to be completely useful. As mentioned, erdlu meat is both delicious and ample (unlike the sinewy crodlu or unpalatable kank). Erdlu eggs are nutritious and provide a days supply of water in addition to quashing hunger. Their beaks are sharp and tough, making excellent spear heads and their long neck tendons are the perfect length and strength for bow strings. Their light weight and sturdy leg bones are terrific for crafting weapons and tools. Even their hides are saleable as a modest and breathable armor after proper drying and treatment. Truly a miracle animal.

Inix

Large lizards that serve as much as status symbols as useful animals. They are sized between the kank and the mekillot at some four to five meters long in the body (their tails add to this). Well tempered and very trainable, they are typically employed as mounts. They are capable of carting several hundred kilograms of cargo and are frequently used as a luxury form of travel. Their broad backs provide an easy mounting for howdahs, box-like carriages that provide shade and comfort while traveling under the Sun.

Inix plod along at an acceptable, if not brisk, pace that can be kept up for hours on end with one caveat. The creatures are voracious vegetarians, and scrub plains are difficult to find East of the Ringing Mountains. It is thus that only the very wealthy are likely to travel by Inix while in The Tablelands.

Kank

Large docile insect with a triptych anatomy, not unlike a two and a half meter long ant. Like their smaller brethren, they organize into a caste-based hive. Producers, soldiers, and brooders round out the hive-roles. The hive mind makes them a more stubborn animal than the Erdlu, but skilled herders have no problems negotiating this dynamic. The producers secret a greenish nectar for feeding the young (and the hive generally when resources are scarce) that is highly sought for its sweet flavor.

Believe it or not, kanks are fast.It is simply impossible to comprehend until one actually sees those legs churning like the granite wheels of a silt-skimmer in a sandstorm. It is for this reason kank herding is monopolized by elves. First, kank hives can march at a pace to match Elven runners over large distances, and are the only beasts so gifted (erdlu tire too quickly). Second, Elves seem to be the only demihuman race fast enough to keep pace with the kanks long enough to steer the herd. Additionally, the Elven temperament seems to tolerate the extra effort such a niche product as kank honey requires. The animals are wholly unsuited for consumption, as their flesh is a foul substance even a starving scavenger cannot endure to palette. They also make splendid mounts, though life expectancy is impacted without the structure of the hive.

Mekillot

Enormous, ill-tempered, carnivorous beasts as likely to eat their trainers and wander into the silt as to pull their pack in the desired direction. Weighing several tonnes, they grow over ten meters long. They are protected on both head and body by a thick, armored shell. Were it not for the insurmountable expense of rearing the animals, this shell might be used effectively for production of armor and shields. Such armaments would not grow too hot to touch under the glaring sun, and would be far lighter than many alternatives.

As already mentioned, their appetite for meat and imposing physical stature makes them dangerous animals. At the same time, their strength is undeniable; the slave trade would be seriously hindered without the multi-level mekillot sand barges that feed the labor needs of the City-States.

Dimers
2012-08-26, 02:05 AM
The new Eveve (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=438656). Still haven't finished with equipment because I just threw a concept at Meltheim in PM, but the stats are there.

Ooh, just remembered another equipment-related question. An alhulak is described as including a grapnel. Is that enough to support Eveve's weight for a climb?

Meltheim
2012-08-26, 05:47 AM
Yes, but the line is very short so you couldn't batman up a building or anything.

Tegu8788
2012-08-26, 07:12 AM
I'm gonna start describing Calder's weapons in regards to the animals he's killed and made into weapons.

Meltheim
2012-08-27, 01:17 AM
Just added the following to the first post in this thread - kind of to try and get you all current with the storyline and establish some common knowledge about the major players.

Timeline:

King Kalak ruled Tyr for many years under an iron fist. His disregard for the use of slave labor won him no friends, but his strength more than quelled any talk of rebellion - until recently.

Tithian, Kalak's High Templar and right-hand man, led a long-planned slave revolt and overthrew King Kalak, planting the Heartwood Spear through the man's chest and toppling his reign over Tyr. Tithian did not do this alone, however. As it has now become public knowledge, Tithian was aided in his assassination by several others:

Rikus - a mul ex-gladiator, who planted the first seeds of rebellion
Sadira - a half-elf ex-slave
Agis of Asticles - a high-ranking noble of House Asticles in Tyr, practitioner of The Way
Neeva - ex-gladiator

These 5, known as the Deposers of Kalak, have spent the past 6 months doing what they can to restore order within the free state of Tyr. They have had to appease rival factions on all sides, from former slaves and commonoers to the House Merchants, Nobles, and Kalak's own former Templars.

Dimers
2012-08-27, 09:17 AM

So who are the powerful groups now? The Templars, merchants and nobility would probably retain the lion's share of control if this were historical Earth, but if the Deposers' supporters or the rebel ex-slaves made some key gains in the chaos (e.g. seizing the main water supply) or had unusual mystical support, they might have a solid enough power base to fend off the established powers.

I'm also curious about how life has changed for 'the common man', and (if this is sufficiently broadly known) what Tithian's motive was in his betrayal of Kalak.

Meltheim
2012-08-27, 09:33 AM
Correction - Rikus is the one who threw the spear. This is what I get for late night typing :)

I'll amend when I get in to the office.

Dimers - the major power groups are still Merchants, Templars, Nobles, but commoners now have a voice in things as well, for they now know that nobody can hold the throne forever.

Meltheim
2012-08-27, 09:44 AM
Finally posted in IC. Yes, the forums ate it twice. I'll clean up typos when i get a chance later today.

SandDemon
2012-08-27, 10:28 AM
Loved the Dark Sun books :smallbiggrin: Obviously Lazam is from where the Heartwood Spear was made/created - would he have knowledge of this?

Meltheim
2012-08-27, 12:57 PM
I haven't read the Prism Pentad series in a looooong time. might have to drag those back out!

Side note - forums appear to be extra crashy this morning. I recommend at least copying what you write, if not saving it in a separate document just in case it gets eaten.

Meltheim
2012-08-27, 01:42 PM
Alright, Calder attempt 3 - fewer tattoos, bigger hair, wrist razors.

http://i.imgur.com/s5qkG.png

kind of looking Wolverine-ish

next up, Huren, Van and Eveve

Meltheim
2012-08-27, 02:31 PM
Huren

http://i.imgur.com/iHOiL.png

edit: Huren totally looks like a ninja. I hope that's ok Shular!

Dimers
2012-08-27, 02:38 PM
Requests for Eveve! Work that avatar-artist magic!

Tall for a dwarf but short for a human. Dark hair in a green kerchief. Her large eye is green but the small one is black. The slant of her brows implies focus or concentration. Mouth is covered by a filter mask. Typical desert wrap over her armor and equipment, beige with faded red trim. Brown boots, black-as-sin alhulak.

*bounces in seat eagerly*

Meltheim
2012-08-27, 02:59 PM
Saving you for last. Working on Van now. Thank god I did a beard for one of Tegu's other characters (in fact, I stole Calder's mohawk from that same character too)

Meltheim
2012-08-27, 03:36 PM
Alright, here's Van.

http://i.imgur.com/vpkx2.png

Meltheim
2012-08-27, 04:36 PM
Eveve. I had to put some contrast with the weapon so that it would not just look like a blob, but hopefully that works. I'm assuming its obsidian.

http://i.imgur.com/QZtc8.png

Shular
2012-08-27, 04:56 PM
Huren looks fine, thanks. Don't mind if there's a bit of a ninja resemblance.

I am a little confused about what's going on IC. I read my spoiler, then apparently Huren is standing outside the city about to go out with a caravan? I had to read the other spoilers to understand the trip is to Altaruk. Is that where House Stel is based, and so that's why Huren would leave Tyr?

I guess, before going to the caravan, Huren would have tried to get more information about House Stel.

Streetwise check about House Stel: [roll0]

The result of this check will determine what I write in my first post.

Meltheim
2012-08-27, 05:03 PM
Shular - sorry i didn't make things more clear. It was about 1am by the time I rewrote that the third time :smallbiggrin:

House Stel is militaristic, much like their home City-State of operations - Urik. They trade in obsidian weapons, primarily, but also work the slave trade (outside of Tyr). You also have heard many rumors that they have no qualms about dealing in stolen cargo and hostages - no doubt seized from other merchant caravans on the road.

Their emblem is a white banner with a pair of crossed black scimitars.

Tegu8788
2012-08-27, 05:55 PM
I can understand the combination of eaten posts and late hours, while trying to juggle starting several storylines.

Can I get a little more information on what Rikus want's Calder to do? He's got to be fair iconic, between his appearance, and that he's a well fought gladiator. He's not gonna be a fan of Slavers. Once he's away from Tyr me may be able to "blend in" but not at the gate. The only reason I can think of that he'd go with them is to make sure they actually leave. "See you safely out of Tyr territory. Wouldn't want any freedom fighters to attack caravan." Unless they have some deal with Tithian to transport something, and Calder is there to guard that thing.

Meltheim
2012-08-27, 07:32 PM
I can understand the combination of eaten posts and late hours, while trying to juggle starting several storylines.

Can I get a little more information on what Rikus want's Calder to do? He's got to be fair iconic, between his appearance, and that he's a well fought gladiator. He's not gonna be a fan of Slavers. Once he's away from Tyr me may be able to "blend in" but not at the gate. The only reason I can think of that he'd go with them is to make sure they actually leave. "See you safely out of Tyr territory. Wouldn't want any freedom fighters to attack caravan." Unless they have some deal with Tithian to transport something, and Calder is there to guard that thing.

Sorry guys, I'll put it plainly :)

1. Huren knows that there's a huge amount of information to be gathered by tailing along with this caravan, especially since there might be plans for Urik to invade Tyr.

2. Rikus is trying to recruit both Calder and Van into going along with the caravan as eyes-and-ears for Tithian. Basically infiltrate the caravan under the guise of booking safe travel to Altaruk. There are a hodge podge of people and caravans are pretty much the only way that anyone travels. Unless you're holding a sandwich board that says "Stel sucks" they'll probably let you in no problem

3. Damakos already knows what he's got to do based on the ONLY successful PM I was able to send out last night to Felhammer :smallbiggrin:

4. Lazam's people are regularly sent to Urik as 'tribute' to appease the sorcerer-king there and to protect his people from being slaughtered by Urikite soldiers. Lazam disagrees with this process and is following along to infiltrate/disrupt the shipment of weapons that he knows will be used by Urikite soldiers to attack Forest Ridge in search of the Heartwood Spear (SandDemon, to answer your earlier question - yes he would have knowledge of this)

5. Eveve is joining up with the caravan as hired muscle and a healer, for a job, and to stretch her legs and get out on the road

edit: Tegu, one of the things that Calder would know is that outside of Tyr, pretty much everyone is a slaver to some degree.

Tegu8788
2012-08-27, 07:56 PM
Thank you. The IC stuff really is great flavor, I just want more of it from you at o'dark:30 in the morning.

Last questions before I post. Were Van and Calder inserted together, or separately (if separate, do they know what the other is doing)? And is it possible to have our weapons smuggled in?

Dimers
2012-08-27, 08:42 PM
Eveve looks great! No, the weapon is just black from dyes and scorching. It's mostly bone (including the haft), with obsidian chips at the tips and a lump of cheap slag metal holding together the arms.

EDIT: Wow, that really is astounding, perfectly to order. How can I set that as my avatar?

Tegu8788
2012-08-27, 08:50 PM
I agree, we are looking several degrees of bad-assery over here. Calder is looking nice and crazy, Huren a nice little ninja, Van looks like he's been eaten once or twice, and Eveve definitely looks like a desert wanderer. Can't wait to see the rest, as always. I may have to change my avatar again.

Meltheim
2012-08-27, 09:12 PM
All the avatars are done, barring edits. They should all be posted ....

Dimers
2012-08-27, 09:23 PM
Er, I meant, how do I use that as my Playground pic? I've never used an avatar before, and I don't know the process -- like, whether the file has to be saved on a particular domain or uploaded or ... duh. I can learn new things about computer use quickly, but it helps me emotionally to have someone directing me the first time.

Tegu8788
2012-08-27, 09:48 PM
As I'm doing it myself, I'll guide you through. Easiest way, open the avatar in it's own window or tab, so you can get a URL.

On this site, check our the "User CP," should be the farthest left on the brown bar. From there "Edit Options." Scroll down to the very bottom, select "Custom" under the Avatar options, then paste in your URL, and save the changes.

Meltheim
2012-08-27, 09:59 PM
let me give you proper sizes so that it fits well.

SandDemon
2012-08-27, 10:01 PM
I'd change mine, but I've had this Disciple of Asmodeus pic that someone made me for several years :smallwink:

Dimers
2012-08-27, 10:20 PM
Verrah nice, yes. :smallsmile: :smallsmile: :smallsmile:

Felhammer
2012-08-27, 11:43 PM
These drawings are amazing! :smallbiggrin:

Shular
2012-08-28, 02:28 AM
Okay, guess I'll join the bandwagon.

I guess I gidn't buy all my equipment, just the basics. Around how long will the journey take? I should try to have sufficient food for the duration.

Also, does anyone "look" like they're well prepared for desert survival?

Dimers
2012-08-28, 08:42 AM

There's this crazy Vistani lady. She's definitely dressed right for travel, and the insectoid following her around is bearing full packs that look like they've already seen a few thousand miles. Annoying a half-giant with a whip isn't exactly what you'd call a 'survival trait', though.

Arillius
2012-08-28, 10:23 AM
Sorry. Internet is screwing with me. Will be back to posting tomorrow after the repair guy gets here.

Arillius
2012-08-28, 11:14 AM
Van looks like he's made treks like this before. His armor is well taken care of, but even with polish it's clearly old and worn. There are scratches and dents on his shield too, but it seems quite intact as well. He looks surly though and messy.

Van's hair could be a bit darker and the scar should be a lot bigger. Other then that though, he's good.

Meltheim
2012-08-28, 11:52 AM
Thank you. The IC stuff really is great flavor, I just want more of it from you at o'dark:30 in the morning.

Last questions before I post. Were Van and Calder inserted together, or separately (if separate, do they know what the other is doing)? And is it possible to have our weapons smuggled in?

Van and Calder definitely know they are "same team" but they were inserted separately. Everyone is fully armed. In fact, a caravan wouldn't take someone who wasn't armed, considering them dead weight in the event of an attack by elven raiders or worse

Tegu8788
2012-08-28, 12:49 PM
Alright, I'll do a two step post when I finish work, we have a big meeting today so it may be late, don't wait up for me.

Also, it's Arthas, not Argus. Auto-correct doesn't work here.

And trying an intimidation check in your first turn!? Either Van has some faint kahozans, or you want him to die quick.

Meltheim
2012-08-28, 01:48 PM
Also, it's Arthas, not Argus.

*Athas

Arthas is from Warcraft 3 and WoW :)

Dimers
2012-08-28, 07:26 PM
I'm sure the spikes on the outside of the fortress are totally necessary to its functioning. How else would House Stel keep the Balloonzilla monsters from ramming them? :smalltongue:

Just for the record, Eveve only stepped in Rahiel's way once, and it can't be proven that she was aware of what she was doing. Maybe she has severe nearsightedness, who knows? -- other than Huren, who got a good close-up look at her eyes and her perceptiveness.

EDIT: Oh, hey, I missed where Meltheim called us 'ragtag'! That means we're going to end up saving the world! :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin:

Meltheim
2012-08-28, 07:32 PM
Eveve is a good girl, it's true. I was just trying to tie up everyone's narrative input to give you all a starting point with the caravan.

Also - I'm trying to draw up your little kank guy. Any suggestions on coloring? They're kind of like oversized ants basically, so 3 segments and all that with pincers on the face and cool lines/dots on the abdomen.

i threw this together for a reference.

http://i.imgur.com/pqzyp.png

Meltheim
2012-08-28, 07:48 PM
EDIT: Oh, hey, I missed where Meltheim called us 'ragtag'! That means we're going to end up saving the world! :smalltongue: :smallbiggrin:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Dimers
2012-08-28, 11:20 PM
I'm trying to draw up your little kank guy. Any suggestions on coloring? They're kind of like oversized ants basically, so 3 segments and all that with pincers on the face and cool lines/dots on the abdomen.

Looks about right to me. Personally, I was envisioning one of the middle pair of legs as the missing one, but I'm not picky. Thanks. :smallsmile:

Meltheim
2012-08-29, 12:42 PM
Dimers - I've decided I will treat your kank as an 'obstacle' for whenever we have combat. You can spend a move action to move him around if you want, he doesn't take damage or anything, and he can basically act as a mobile cover.

Deal?

edit: Oh and I'll remove the leg.

Meltheim
2012-08-29, 12:57 PM
Okay, guess I'll join the bandwagon.

I guess I gidn't buy all my equipment, just the basics. Around how long will the journey take? I should try to have sufficient food for the duration.

Forgot to answer your questiona bout the length of the journey.

It's 75 miles to the crossroads and another 100 from there to Altaruk.

Mekillots travel at 35 miles per day when unencumbered. With the load that they're carrying, these Mekillots will move at 25 miles per day.

So, it should take 3 days to get to the Crossroads and another 4 from there to get to Altaruk. 7 days total, barring incident :smallbiggrin:

Tegu8788
2012-08-29, 01:18 PM
So we need to plan for 20 days eh?

Dimers
2012-08-29, 04:24 PM
Dimers - I've decided I will treat your kank as an 'obstacle' for whenever we have combat. You can spend a move action to move him around if you want, he doesn't take damage or anything, and he can basically act as a mobile cover.

Better than I expected, really. I figured it wouldn't go anywhere without me adjacent, just like the cart it's based on. In fact, I'm still going to play the beastie that way for the most part. Only if the fluff or the drama really demands it will Gimp move without me effectively 'pulling' it. Like, it'd scamper out of the way of a lava flow, that kind of thing.

So we need to plan for 20 days eh?

Maybe 30, to be on the safe side. Although 40 days in the desert is traditional for some cultures. :smallamused:

Felhammer
2012-08-29, 06:19 PM
Are the merchants going to feed or water us? Because I only have enough stuff for 5 days. :smallfrown:

Meltheim
2012-08-29, 06:20 PM
Yes, that's part of your 1gp to travel with them - covering the cost of protecting you, including food/water.

Felhammer
2012-08-29, 06:23 PM
Yes, that's part of your 1gp to travel with them - covering the cost of protecting you, including food/water.

Yay! No starvation! :smallcool:

Meltheim
2012-08-29, 06:27 PM
There is plenty of time for that later.

Felhammer
2012-08-29, 06:35 PM
There is plenty of time for that later.

It wouldn't be Dark Sun if there weren't moments when you look at the other people in your party and think, "Hey, he'd be pretty tasty in a pinch." :smalltongue:

SandDemon
2012-08-29, 07:29 PM
It wouldn't be Dark Sun if there weren't moments when you look at the other people in your party and think, "Hey, he'd be pretty tasty in a pinch." :smalltongue:

You act as if Lazam hasn't eaten someone before already :belkar:

Dimers
2012-08-29, 07:44 PM

FTFY. :smalltongue:

Tegu8788
2012-08-29, 11:00 PM
That's right. No one can crit like I can during non-important rolls...

Dimers
2012-08-29, 11:33 PM
Dang! You just diplomatted the $#!+ outta those poor thri-kreen!

Tegu8788
2012-08-29, 11:44 PM
I think this means, when the time comes, Calder get's dips on eating them. Right after they kill everyone else for him to eat.

Meltheim
2012-08-30, 12:17 AM
Man, I hate when you guys crit on these things. Now I have to make it extra cool :smallbiggrin:

Tegu8788
2012-08-30, 12:22 AM
Hey, if you want to let me swap this roll out for another one later on, I'd be more than happy to accommodate...

Felhammer
2012-08-30, 12:55 AM
Hey, if you want to let me swap this roll out for another one later on, I'd be more than happy to accommodate...

DM: Feel Free!

*A Few Days Later*

DM: So we're in Bizzaro Dark Sun Now! All rolls of 20 are critical misses!

Dimers
2012-08-30, 01:33 AM
Sorry, forgot to mention this before:

Everybody, feel free to use Eveve.

Go on and stick your hand in that puppet whenever you feel like it. I don't mind a bit. It makes writing interactive scenes a whole lot easier and might even let you evoke more of the game world. And I don't consider her my property -- we're making a story together. Use up her equipment, have fun with Gimp The Five-Legged Kank, make skill checks and Aid Another rolls, roll her attacks, put words into her mouth. Do however much you're comfortable doing, because I'm fine with it.

Meltheim
2012-08-30, 01:47 AM
there, went back and edited my post to use Eveve :)

I'm pushing you all to socialize at least a little bit. You don't have to, but talking to a rock is easier than talking to a Thri-Kreen, as Calder is learning.

SandDemon
2012-08-30, 02:18 AM
Kind of hard to go out on a limb with Lazam but hey, have to somehow break the mold right? :smallamused:

Meltheim
2012-08-30, 09:38 AM
Uh, is Lazam saying he is Torak?

SandDemon
2012-08-30, 09:53 AM
Uh, is Lazam saying he is Torak?

Dammit, fixed - what I get for posting after midnight...(Might want to fix your post also Shular so we don't get confused later on).

Tegu8788
2012-08-30, 10:01 AM
So, did Calder just learn Thri-Kreen?

Either way, Calder is going to come say high to folks. Anyone who has been in the city for more than a few days would have reason to recognize Calder.

Meltheim
2012-08-30, 11:14 AM
Dammit, fixed - what I get for posting after midnight...(Might want to fix your post also Shular so we don't get confused later on).

I just assumed he adopted an alias :smalltongue:

Meltheim
2012-08-30, 11:15 AM
So, did Calder just learn Thri-Kreen?

Haha, yes. You can name three ethnic groups and 1 mythical prophesied leader. Use it well.

Tegu8788
2012-08-30, 11:18 AM
Good to know, I'll use that knowledge well.

Now, other quick question, was that Throk Calder saw hanging around?

Arillius
2012-08-30, 11:39 AM
Hey, look , Van's trying to make friends. XD

Meltheim
2012-08-30, 11:48 AM
Good to know, I'll use that knowledge well.

Now, other quick question, was that Throk Calder saw hanging around?

Um... no? I don't know what you're talking about actually, sorry.

Dimers
2012-08-30, 12:27 PM
Um... no? I don't know what you're talking about actually, sorry.

Shular posted himself as Throk, like SandDemon did with Torak ... Overlapping Game Syndrome. :smalltongue:

Shular
2012-08-30, 01:01 PM
Sigh. I guess that's the downside of playing in multiple adventures. Names fixed (let me know if I miss/missed any).

Meltheim
2012-08-30, 01:33 PM
you all can't see it, but this is basically what is happening on the other side of the dunes about a 1/4 mile from you.

http://digital-art-gallery.com/oid/18/640x640_4948_Dark_Sun_2d_fantasy_dark_sun_elf_orc_ warriors_battle_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

Dimers
2012-08-30, 03:37 PM
Silly idea!

In 2e Dark Sun, nobody would ever find out what a magic item does, because where the hell are they going to get a pearl to cast identify?

Tegu8788
2012-08-30, 05:56 PM
Don't feel bad on the names. I fully expect to make the same mistake myself, probably multiple times, and you all should call me out on it when I do.

First fight team. Let's go. This is gonna be interesting, before we actually get teamwork sorted out.

Shular
2012-08-30, 05:58 PM
IS there actually anywhere for Huren to hide? I suppose he could go under the caravan, but that's a little far (though he does have a hand crossbow).

Meltheim
2012-08-30, 06:00 PM
Alright, so can I direct you all to the Combat Map. You can find a link to it on the first page of this thread, as well as in my signature.

Please fill in your character information on the "Characters" tab. Once we've got everyone input, I will go ahead and start the fight.

If you have any boosts to Initiative other than what is listed on your character sheet, please let me know if you'd like to use them. I will be rolling initiative for everyone shortly.

I just have to finish drawing up some elves for you guys :smalltongue:

edit: SHULAR - Gimp acts as cover, so Huren can easily hide behind Gimp (the big ant looking thing)

Shular
2012-08-30, 06:29 PM
Melt, your post said the sounds are coming from the north-east. I'm guessing you meant north-west. Also, gimp isn't moving, so perhaps Huren can use the mekillots as cover, or the north-west corner of the caravan
(again, if necessary). He'll do some sniping at least until he's not hidden.

Also, I notice the battle-map spreadsheet has no space for initiative modifiers.

SandDemon
2012-08-30, 06:34 PM
Do you want the Init field to have init we roll or will you roll that and we should put our bonus in there?

Meltheim
2012-08-30, 06:46 PM
grr, i are geographically dumb. The caravan is travelling east/south east, and i just drew the battlemap wrong. I'll flip it. The sounds are in fact coming from the north east.

And initiatives - just put the modifier on the front page (example '+2)

SandDemon
2012-08-30, 06:49 PM
And initiatives - just put the modifier on the character tab.

Looks like you have some cell logic for those, because it won't let me put +2...just 2. Want that?

Meltheim
2012-08-30, 07:09 PM
Raheil, because you all love him so hard.

http://i.imgur.com/axLh4.png

Tegu8788
2012-08-30, 07:11 PM
Calder will show him some love if he fights with the group...

Felhammer
2012-08-30, 07:13 PM
Raheil, because you all love him so hard.

http://i.imgur.com/axLh4.png

He looks ornery. :smallbiggrin:

Dimers
2012-08-30, 08:06 PM
Questions!

Is Rahiel an ally?
Where are the thri-kreen? (And on a related note, are they here to backstab us?)
Are any of the elf raiders mounted?
Creatures don't usually count as "cover" for purposes of stealth. Gimp is somewhere between an object and a creature. Are you sure you want him to be that kind of cover?

EDIT: I have lots of free time at the moment, so I filled in stats on the battle map for everyone who hadn't yet.

Dimers
2012-08-30, 08:47 PM
Um ... I screwed something up at the right side of the Combat Sheet tab. It made all the enemies' stats visible, among other things. Halp?

I was trying to view the Notation Guide for the "EFFECTS" column, but it displayed too far to the right in my browser. While I was trying to add columns to the right so I could scroll over and see the whole thing ... uh ... don't know exactly what happened, but BOOM, suddenly stuff was visible.

Meltheim
2012-08-30, 09:56 PM
1. Raheil is a hazard basically. His whip doesn't discriminate and anyone who ends their turn adjacent to him takes 3 damage.

2. I haven't drawn the thri-kreen yet and you might just end up with "TK 1" and "TK 2" squares :smallbiggrin:

3. No - they are faster on foot than any mount (move speed 8, don't care about difficult terrain, for example).

4. Gimp is an object in this sense. I don't want him to be targetable or killable or anything, so ..... houserule activate! Form of ... a kank!

5. Now i have to make them all elites!

Meltheim
2012-08-30, 10:02 PM
Rolling initiatives:

Calder: [roll0]
Damakos: [roll1]
Eveve: [roll2]
Huren: [roll3]
Lazam: [roll4]
Van: [roll5]

edit: holy **** Huren!

edit 2: Ok, Huren, Damakos and Van in PC Group 1. The rest of you in PC Group 2.

Order will be:

PC Group 1
Enemy Group 1
PC Group 2
Enemy Group 2
NPC Group 1 (Thri-Kreens and Raheil)

You can go in any order while it is your group's initiative. For this first round, that means that Huren and Van can go as soon as they are ready. Damakos already had an action readied to fire a Magic Missile. Damakos can then take the rest of his turn (move/minor) before the enemies get to go.

Felhammer
2012-08-30, 10:31 PM
Ok, I think I did it properly. I hit, then added 7 damage to Elven Archer #2. :smallsmile:

Dimers
2012-08-30, 10:34 PM
I need two more pieces of info before my turn comes around. Shular, if Eveve would be aware of it, what weapons does Huren have in his hands right now? Meltheim, can I place my spirit companion on the map?

Both questions relate to my shaman power. If something moves-without-shifting next to my SC, I give someone a RBA with combat advantage. Huren's average damage for that is great, but if he doesn't have the right weapon ready, I'll use Damakos.

Tegu8788
2012-08-30, 10:39 PM
The system is a bit complex at first, but trust me, it works pretty well, and speeds up PbP combat quite a bit. I may be a bit biased, but once you get used to it, you'll appreciate it.

SandDemon
2012-08-30, 11:46 PM
Lol ok it's my turn to act like an idiot...kinda wiped some colors off the sheet. I promise I won't try that again :) I was trying to help out and make them all sand-colored but screwed up the caravan/mekillots.

Edit: Ok that's maybe better :)

Meltheim
2012-08-31, 12:27 AM
Lol ok it's my turn to act like an idiot...kinda wiped some colors off the sheet. I promise I won't try that again :) I was trying to help out and make them all sand-colored but screwed up the caravan/mekillots.

Edit: Ok that's maybe better :)

Looks great. We'll leave it as sand color for default :smallbiggrin:

Meltheim
2012-08-31, 12:28 AM
I need two more pieces of info before my turn comes around. Shular, if Eveve would be aware of it, what weapons does Huren have in his hands right now? Meltheim, can I place my spirit companion on the map?

Both questions relate to my shaman power. If something moves-without-shifting next to my SC, I give someone a RBA with combat advantage. Huren's average damage for that is great, but if he doesn't have the right weapon ready, I'll use Damakos.

Damn .... I totally forgot about your spirit companion. Uh, what do you want it to look like? I can whip something up. Might just be a head or something though until i have time to do a full body

how about this until I get something permanent?

http://i.imgur.com/HasEr.gif

SandDemon
2012-08-31, 02:07 AM
I've got one too by the way ("Spirit of Athas"). A whirling sand tornado would be kind of cool or a ghostly image of the Spirit Oracle.

Dimers
2012-08-31, 02:14 AM
It's because I distracted you with all that 'kank' nonsense :smallwink:

Eveve's spirit companion isn't even slightly humanoid ... no face, no limbs, no moving parts as it were. Hmm. Lemme try to rough it out in ASCII --

.......^
....../ |
.....| ||
.....| ||
.....| ||
...My~:~Xk-
...Vo}}OY?/
.....\ | /

Okay, that's more or less got it. Floating dusty-pink crystal with dun rocks in a ring about a third of the way up. Sorry for all the dots on the left -- the Playground removes blanks and tabs, so I had to put them in to get the spacing right.

EDIT: Use anything at all for the time being. I'm used to dice and Parcheesi pawns as minis. Legos are a big step up. A drawing is more than I expect. I was just gonna put the letters "SC" in a square.

Shular
2012-08-31, 04:46 AM

Yup, the second the alert was called, Huren's hand-crossbow was in his hand, with his dagger in his left (just like the picture but opposite :smallsmile:). Because of the time issue, feel free to roll Huren's attack with crossbow (or shuriken if within 6 of target). See character sheet for plusses, add 2 for combat advantage and 2d6 for sneak attack damage (+1 damage if sneak attack is with shuriken).

Huren would have tried to position himself closer to the front if he could have cover there. I wanted to be in one of the squares a mekillot occupied, but can't put my icon overtop another.

Dimers
2012-08-31, 10:01 AM
Because of the time issue, feel free to roll Huren's attack ...

Thanks!

... with crossbow (or shuriken if within 6 of target). See character sheet for plusses, add 2 for combat advantage and 2d6 for sneak attack damage (+1 damage if sneak attack is with shuriken).

Hmm. I see a problem here. You couldn't RBA with shuriken because your hands are full and because you don't have Quick Draw; you can RBA with a "load free" crossbow but can't reload it with a dagger in your other hand (any "load" item requires two hands); and if you throw your dagger, it doesn't come back because it's not magical. Difficult situation.

Huren would have tried to position himself closer to the front if he could have cover there. I wanted to be in one of the squares a mekillot occupied, but can't put my icon overtop another.

Which reminds me, Meltheim -- sometimes my spirit companion (let's call her "Crystal") will be floating up in the air, which means people might end up under her. I don't know much about operating GoogleDocs so I might be missing something, but it seems like the simplest solution is to give her a "CHARACTER NOTES" entry on the map sheet and use that line to record her position and height. For example, "N12, 3 squares off the ground".

Meltheim
2012-08-31, 10:54 AM
Thanks!

Hmm. I see a problem here. You couldn't RBA with shuriken because your hands are full and because you don't have Quick Draw; you can RBA with a "load free" crossbow but can't reload it with a dagger in your other hand (any "load" item requires two hands); and if you throw your dagger, it doesn't come back because it's not magical. Difficult situation.

Which reminds me, Meltheim -- sometimes my spirit companion (let's call her "Crystal") will be floating up in the air, which means people might end up under her. I don't know much about operating GoogleDocs so I might be missing something, but it seems like the simplest solution is to give her a "CHARACTER NOTES" entry on the map sheet and use that line to record her position and height. For example, "N12, 3 squares off the ground".

2 solutions.

1. load a crossbow WITH a dagger - nice right? (kidding, kidding)
2. I'll whip something up for Crystal (lol) and we can put a note. I don't think technically that you can move them vertically though, I don't think they float. I mean, we can RP it that way, but unless you find a rule that says they can move vertically, I'll have to rule that they are on 'ground level' with the rest of you.

edit: Here's Crystal

http://i.imgur.com/H7XF0.png

Meltheim
2012-08-31, 11:52 AM
I've got one too by the way ("Spirit of Athas"). A whirling sand tornado would be kind of cool or a ghostly image of the Spirit Oracle.

Here's uh ... Dusty

http://i.imgur.com/ilepP.png

edit: and please disregard the fact that I used the same cloud for both of you. Clouds in Athas come in only 1 shape :smallbiggrin:

Dimers
2012-08-31, 12:07 PM
unless you find a rule that says they can move vertically, I'll have to rule that they are on 'ground level' with the rest of you.

Fine pic-work once again! Re: floating -- by default, conjurations do. Per DDI, "The conjuration does not need to be supported by a solid surface, so it can float in the air."

When I looked that up, I noticed the bit about "movable conjurations" (which a SC is), and discovered that I'll need to keep Crystal within line-of-effect and within 20 squares. Both conditions are checked at the end of my turn.

Damakos
Minor: Allows sunlight to glint off of epic horns
Move: ...
Standard: ...
Huren
Minor: Looks badass
Standard: ...
Move: ...

*spit-take snerk guffaw chortle*

Meltheim
2012-08-31, 12:30 PM
Right, doesn't need to be supported by a solid surface (i.e. ignores difficult terrain, can cross small gaps, etc.), but not necessarily able to float upwards 20 feet

*spit-take snerk guffaw chortle*

In this action economy, we cannot afford to waste minor actions.

Shular
2012-08-31, 01:31 PM
For reloading, knife in teeth?

Edit: In any case, he had an unused minor action (looking bad-ass is a free action), so that should have been sufficient for the reload.

Meltheim
2012-08-31, 02:12 PM
For reloading, knife in teeth?

Edit: In any case, he had an unused minor action (looking bad-ass is a free action), so that should have been sufficient for the reload.

Knife in teeth works just fine for me.

Dimers
2012-08-31, 03:35 PM
Right, doesn't need to be supported by a solid surface (i.e. ignores difficult terrain, can cross small gaps, etc.), but not necessarily able to float upwards 20 feet

Here's my reasoning. You can generate the effect of a power more than 5 feet off the ground. If that weren't true, flying creatures would rule the world with an iron talon, since attacks could only target creatures on land. If I generate the effect of call spirit companion sixty feet up in the air, it doesn't fall. How could it? -- it doesn't have material presence for gravity to affect, a point represented in the game by "doesn't need to be supported". Now, obviously the moveable conjuration isn't limited to moving in a single plane, because conjurations can be moved up and down hills. So in addition to starting higher than ground level and not falling, they can be moved three-dimensionally (still without falling).

I'm not attached to the idea of a rock that floats 20' up; if you want Crystal to be landbound, that's fine. You're a generous and reasonable GM, it's not at all central to Eveve's character, and anyway, the position that spirit companions represented by objects or terrestrial beings can't freaking fly totally makes sense. I'm just saying that it is a houserule, and it might not make sense under other conditions. If the conjuration looks like an eagle (e.g. for the standard Watcher shaman) or a blade of force created by the mind of a brilliant and well-trained wizard (e.g. mordenkainen's sword) ... that's very questionable territory. The watcher's SC should abide by the same rules as those of other shamans, I'd think, especially since there's no mention of any difference in the books. But for me, that means that all SCs and all other conjurations can be moved in 3D, not that an eagle-shaped SC is landbound.

I'm actually kinda sorry to open this can of worms. It affects more than Eveve -- there's Ja'qar in the Terenuri game, and here in Athas, we've got a wizard who can make a spongy ball of fire that can hang in the sky if that's where he wants it to be. I guess it's not exactly a bad thing that we're getting the discussion out of the way before it turns into a character-life-or-death situation, but ... geez, you've got enough to work on right now anyway. Throwing this puzzle into your lap doesn't help.

Meltheim
2012-08-31, 04:14 PM
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/downloads/dragon/387/387_Shaman_Basics.pdf

Bottom of page 3.

Can move vertically.

I have no clue how to represent this in a 2d spreadsheet, so please limit it for my sanity's sake. To be fair, I will not unleash flying critters that you cannot reach.

Tegu8788
2012-08-31, 05:00 PM
Is there a way to make it a filter, or a translucent object? Not sure if that would let an object "under" it be seen, or if pasting just deletes the previous object.

Another solution, when it's above another character, color the square to represent it, and note the height in the chart.

Meltheim
2012-08-31, 05:38 PM
Coloring the cell would probably be the best actually.

Dimers
2012-08-31, 05:50 PM
That's an excellent idea. :smallsmile:

Dimers
2012-08-31, 05:53 PM
Arillius -- you might not want to stop next to the lasher. He's an obstacle, not an ally. You'll take 3 damage from being there at the end of your turn.

Tegu8788
2012-08-31, 06:15 PM
And I think, if it's possible to ready an action to grant Calder an MBA when he is adjacent to an enemy, that would be a nice way to use the standard. I will tell you, right now he will be attacking spear 2, because that's the only one he can reach.

Meltheim
2012-08-31, 06:23 PM
And I think, if it's possible to ready an action to grant Calder an MBA when he is adjacent to an enemy, that would be a nice way to use the standard. I will tell you, right now he will be attacking spear 2, because that's the only one he can reach.

So like, ready an action to Direct the Strike when Calder is in melee range of enemy?

Tegu8788
2012-08-31, 06:24 PM
Yes. That is how someone familiar with Warlords would phrase it.

Also, as always, I'm loving the art.

Felhammer
2012-08-31, 06:29 PM
Damakos
Minor: Allows sunlight to glint off of epic horns

The horns are indeed immaculate. Polished daily to get that shimmering sparkle every Tiefling is looking for these days. :smallbiggrin:

Is there a way to make it a filter, or a translucent object? Not sure if that would let an object "under" it be seen, or if pasting just deletes the previous object.

Another solution, when it's above another character, color the square to represent it, and note the height in the chart.

You can make one in Photoshop.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/RHO1/purple.png

Meltheim
2012-08-31, 06:34 PM
The horns are indeed immaculate. Polished daily to get that shimmering sparkle every Tiefling is looking for these days. :smallbiggrin:

You can make one in Photoshop.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v614/RHO1/purple.png

Making a translucent image is easy. GoogleDocs just won't let you overlay 2 images.

And it looks like it's my turn! YAY!

edit: You guys know you can CHAT in the battlemap, right? If you click the little arrow in the upper right corner?

Felhammer
2012-08-31, 06:36 PM
Everyone has a magic little buddy to go on adventures with. What do I have? A dumb book? I Knew should have picked up a familiar. :smalltongue:

Felhammer
2012-08-31, 06:37 PM
Making a translucent image is easy. GoogleDocs just won't let you overlay 2 images.

And it looks like it's my turn! YAY!

edit: You guys know you can CHAT in the battlemap, right? If you click the little arrow in the upper right corner?

No you can. Just upload the image to the docks. It won't be embedded into the sheet but it will lay over top of it.

Tegu8788
2012-08-31, 06:39 PM
Are you counting the dead body parts Calder has? His shield is a Baazrag skull, and has Dune reaper arms as trident forks. Not sure where his waterskin came from, but I'm leaning towards a Mul liver.

And besides, you have those horns. And a tail. Don't forget the tail.

Meltheim
2012-08-31, 07:39 PM
Alright, good first turn for the elves!

Crit on Calder and a soft crit on Damakos.

PC Group 2 can now go - Calder, Eveve, Lazam

Arillius
2012-08-31, 08:06 PM
Why is his rock where my spirit of Athas is? XD And Van's spirit of athas usually appears like floating rocks circling in the air, not a cloud of wind.

Arillius
2012-08-31, 08:09 PM
Also, will van really take damage from the lasher guy? And can he use his standard action now?

Felhammer
2012-08-31, 08:14 PM
The Wizard was attacked and lost half his HP!!! :smalleek:

I do not like seeing my blood spilt on the sand. Some one help!

Tegu8788
2012-08-31, 08:17 PM
Critted against in the very first hit. Welcome to Dark Sun folks.

Yes, Van takes damage for being near the half-giant. That's been stated clearly for a while. It's up to our DM to decide if you can use your standard action now, since you only implied reading it.

Meltheim
2012-08-31, 09:42 PM
Arillius: you can use your standard action whenever the condition has been met. At this point, you can use it when someone gets in melee range of you.

Meltheim
2012-09-01, 01:42 AM
FYI - just put this up today in the first post and on the Combat Map (see tab Region Map).

Here's an overland map of the Tablelands region
http://i.imgur.com/sCeRX.jpg

SandDemon
2012-09-01, 01:50 AM
Any particular reason my roll would fail in the Spoiler tag? I didn't do anything different with it...

Felhammer
2012-09-01, 01:54 AM
Any particular reason my roll would fail in the Spoiler tag? I didn't do anything different with it...

Looks like you previewed the post, which rolls the die and changes the roll's text (to prevent cheaters from tampering with it). Unfortunately, when you do this, the text does not revert to its original form when you post, so you wind up with [roll0]. This also happens quite a bit if the forum is slow and doesn't post your post. The easiest way to avoid the situation is to always use the back button on your browser when you preview/something-goes-wrong.

Additionally, some times the roller just messes up for no apparent reason.

Shular
2012-09-01, 04:07 AM
Seeing a lot of green on that regional map. Are you sure that's Athas? :smallbiggrin:

SandDemon
2012-09-01, 10:42 AM
The green to the west is the Forest Ridge - halfling lands. To the east, is Gulg where the only Sorceress Queen lives (and people call her the Forest Mother since she created a forest city).

Everything else is basically desert (that's not the whole map).

Felhammer
2012-09-01, 02:46 PM
Seeing a lot of green on that regional map. Are you sure that's Athas? :smallbiggrin:

Both forests are dangerous and not good places to go. One of them is filled with Halfling Cannibals and the other a crazy Sorceress Queen.

Tegu8788
2012-09-01, 06:45 PM
I'd say the green areas are even more dangerous. When even plants have psionic powers, I don't exactly want to be in a lush environment anytime soon.

And, the Primal Spirits are kinda pissed that the world has be desecrated sooo much.

It's called the Silt Sea for a reason.

Meltheim
2012-09-02, 01:51 PM
Alright, Round 2 - start! Huren, Van, Damakos turn.

Shular
2012-09-02, 01:54 PM
Tegu, just curious...what ability allows you to do curse damage when you curse an enemy? Or were you just rolling the damage in case your attack hit?

Felhammer
2012-09-02, 02:10 PM
Grr, I rolled a nat 1! :smallmad::smallfrown:

Tegu8788
2012-09-02, 02:14 PM
Any Warlock attack. In this case it was Eldritch Strike. It's a permanent effect, a minor to apply, with no limit to how many I can curse at a time, as long as I can spare the minor. When I first curse and I'm going to attack, I go ahead and roll to save a line.

Meltheim
2012-09-04, 05:56 PM
Alright so unless I missed it, we just need Van/Arillius to go in this round, then I'll move on and have the enemies pew pew pew you guys.

Dimers
2012-09-05, 03:42 AM
*twiddles thumbs*

Shular
2012-09-05, 05:09 AM
Apparently he's delaying.

Meltheim
2012-09-05, 12:37 PM
I am finishing up some conference calls right now but I will probably take Arillius' turn in a bit if he doesn't.

SandDemon
2012-09-05, 01:15 PM
Pretty early on for someone to disappear for almost a week :smallconfused:

Dimers
2012-09-05, 01:52 PM

He's got an internet outage right now. In the other game we play together, he's been fine about posting frequently, even with big new responsibilities. I sympathize with him. I do want the game to go on, though. That's a small part of why I posted my "EVERYBODY USE EVEVE ALL YOU LIKE" thing -- so if something happens to keep me from posting for a while, Meltheim doesn't feel bad about running my turn.

Meltheim
2012-09-05, 02:39 PM
heh, I read that as "ruining my turn" hehehehe

I'll take Van's turn and the Enemy Round 1 once I finish this inspection (I'm a Compliance Officer in healthcare. it's fun fun fun)

Dimers
2012-09-05, 04:53 PM
When Spear3 shifts, Eveve follows him with blurred step, shifting to P12.

If he still chooses to walk rather than attack her, she spends 1 power point to make an OA using twisted eye: [roll0] vs AC. A hit deals [roll1] damage and imposes a conditional attack penalty.

If you retcon his action into an attack against Eveve and it misses, she uses disciplined counter as an immediate reaction: [roll2] vs Reflex. A hit deals [roll3] damage, imposes combat advantage, and slides Spear3 to O12.

If she can still use an immediate when Archer2 fires at her, she'll use persistent harrier. Attack roll [roll4] vs AC, and on a hit, [roll5] damage and Eveve teleports to U12. EDIT: to U8. Sorry, wrong archer number.

Meltheim
2012-09-05, 05:17 PM
Let's say this, Spear 3 wants to get away from Eveve as much as possible - he doesn't like being marked, he doesn't like straight up combat.

So ignoring your rolls, I would still make Spear 3 shift away and try to run away. That said, he'd shift away again (putting him at R13) rather than take the opportunity attack.

Feel free to resolve your move against Archer 2 as you wish :smallbiggrin: That attack doesn't look like it will hit, however.

Felhammer
2012-09-05, 06:07 PM

You have obviously never DMed a Star Wars game before. I started a game before and two of the players - each of whom wrote around a 2 page back story for their characters - never bothered to show up to the game, even after multiple PM's. :smalleek:

Meltheim
2012-09-05, 06:11 PM
You have obviously never DMed a Star Wars game before. I started a game before and two of the players - each of whom wrote around a 2 page back story for their characters - never bothered to show up to the game, even after multiple PM's. :smalleek:

ewww. normally i give people a day to post, but I cut everyone a break because of the long weekend (for Americans, at least. Shular - no slacking!)

Also - never feel obligated to post over the weekend. I'm hoping for M-F posting only.

Dimers
2012-09-05, 06:29 PM
What a lovely collection of rolls we've had this game. :smallsmile: I shouldn't complain, though. My last two attack rolls might have been natural 2s, but the natural 1 (with its weapon-breaking consequences!) was for a power that I ended up not using.

EDIT: A little accounting work. I've fully updated my Mythweavers sheet to this point in battle, putting check marks beside powers I've used. That's second wind, dwarven resilience, evil eye, persistent harrier. I still have Iron Resurgence, Spirit's Prey and Disciplined Counter available, as well as my dailies, at-wills and power points. I've also added the armor check penalty for the shield in case I need to roll a skill before the end of combat.

Dimers
2012-09-05, 06:55 PM
Sorry for the eight million little edits. I keep remembering "just one more thing". Wanna take a shot at Crystal? Spear1 gets an OA for the movement.

Meltheim
2012-09-06, 12:28 AM
Spear 1 takes a swing and a miss. Lazam and Calder left to go.

Dimers
2012-09-06, 01:06 AM
*notices several Slaves missing from rear of caravan* :smallconfused:

*hopes that's just a typo* :smalleek:

*changes mind, hopes it's part of the raid because the tension is so much cooler that way* :smallbiggrin:

Felhammer
2012-09-06, 01:09 AM
If I could bathe in healing, I would. :smallbiggrin:

Dimers
2012-09-06, 01:10 AM
Heck, this is Athas. If I could bathe at all, I would. :smalltongue:

No, "sunbathing" doesn't count. :smallannoyed:

Shular
2012-09-06, 01:12 AM
Why does Raheil get the benefit of Spirit of Athas? He's not an ally, or he wouldn't be damaging us.

Meltheim
2012-09-06, 09:26 AM
Well I figured you all would want him more alivish than deadish. If that's not the case, I'm happy to remove the super confusing +1 to AC for him.

edit: His attacks are a basically just a 'damage creature' aura,for what it's worth. He wont attack you outright.

Shular
2012-09-06, 09:56 AM
He's a slaver. Huren would kill him himself if he could manage to pin it on the elves. He certainly won't be trying to help him. However, I guess it's up to whomever controls the spirit to decide who gets the bonus. :smallbiggrin:

Tegu8788
2012-09-06, 01:25 PM
Calder would do the same, if he think that would give him the upper hand once the elves have been dealt with. It's been a crazy few days, hopefully I'll be able to post within the next 4 hours. All depends on how the DMV goes.

Meltheim
2012-09-06, 04:47 PM
Can Calder get a +1 to that attack from someone? It might make a difference :smallbiggrin:

Tegu8788
2012-09-06, 04:57 PM
I didn't see anything from the combat tracker, and someone can check my math. 5 Con mod, 1 for 1/2 level, 2 for weapon, 1 for dark sun=9.

Meltheim
2012-09-06, 06:00 PM
Alright, if nobody can grant you a +1 to that attack, then it looks like you miss.

Just need Lazam to go all snikt snikt (that is what I imagine wrist razors sound like)

SandDemon
2012-09-06, 06:09 PM
Alright, if nobody can grant you a +1 to that attack, then it looks like you miss.

Just need Lazam to go all snikt snikt (that is what I imagine wrist razors sound like)

Done :smallbiggrin: I'm just saving Calder left and right here.... I'm assuming you'll update damages when we hit and we just leave it? Didn't raise Calder's health either, wasn't sure if I hit or not (guessing I did though).

And seconded for letting Raheil die.....*innocently whistles while he steps away from Raheil fighting*

Tegu8788
2012-09-06, 06:36 PM
You can let Calder get hurt a little more before he needs saving, but it's appreciated. He hasn't even been bloodied yet. THPs and bonuses are always appreciated though.

SandDemon
2012-09-06, 06:52 PM
Not to give away tactics or anything to the enemy (shh, close your ears DM)...but I prefer to keep people more infront "topped off" until the number of foes kind of dies down. For all you know, next round they all turn and gang you down all while a sand shark bites your legs off!

Well that and if people start dying, I need to preserve my meals from being beaten too much.... :belkar:

Meltheim
2012-09-06, 07:29 PM
WOO! nice moves for Lazam. I'll update tonight after I get home, work out, etc.

Then you guys get to find out what all the elves are grinning about :smallbiggrin:

Tegu8788
2012-09-06, 07:44 PM
We do have a fair amount of healing to go around, ignoring everyone using their second wind, so don't worry about that. I just don't want to waste healing by going over maximum. Remember, if Calder falls and you raise him then, that's the most healing for your "- Word" that you can get.

Grinning elves. Hmmm. Calder might pick up a bit of a Joker trend with dead elves. He's already got the facial scars, and slightly sick humor. Elves and slavers only, at this rate.

Dimers
2012-09-06, 09:34 PM
if people start dying, I need to preserve my meals from being beaten too much.... :belkar:

Not a fan of meat tenderizer, then? :smallsmile:

Halfling, if you start anointing my feet with oils, imma rip your ears off ... :smallmad:

Meltheim
2012-09-06, 09:41 PM
Not a fan of meat tenderizer, then? :smallsmile:

Halfling, if you start anointing my feet with oils, imma rip your ears off ... :smallmad:

It will be while you sleep. You'll think it's aroma therapy and then realize it's not a rosemary pillow - it's just rosemary.

Felhammer
2012-09-06, 10:07 PM
*is still enjoying the warm caress of the bountiful healing he received* :smallbiggrin:

SandDemon
2012-09-06, 10:56 PM
Hey Melthiem, did you see my earlier comment? Should I take the health off the elf and add hp to Calder or do you handle that? (Wasn't sure I hit)

Tegu8788
2012-09-06, 11:05 PM
You do it. That's the benefit of the combat tracker. The second tap after the map, let's you see everything you need to figure out if things hit or not, and let us track our HP and any buffs or debuffs on us.

SandDemon
2012-09-07, 12:45 AM
You do it. That's the benefit of the combat tracker. The second tap after the map, let's you see everything you need to figure out if things hit or not, and let us track our HP and any buffs or debuffs on us.

Well don't I feel stupid, didn't realize there were tabs....looks like I killed the elf. I couldn't get the +4T to work for hp gains, so I just marked you on the first page as 32(+4) for gaining +4 temporary.

Shular
2012-09-07, 01:37 AM
Do the spirits provide flank (asked the rogue)?

Meltheim
2012-09-07, 01:38 AM
SandDemon - don't worry about it. I did a piss poor job of explaining how the combat tracker works to you and Felhammer because I run a game with the other guys already. My mistake.

You should feel free to explore the other tabs on the combat tracker - there's some good stuff in there!

What I need to do is make the front page status update when the combat tab running totals are updated, but I'm too tired for that now.

P90x is a nice workout, but it is exhausting. 'night kids! I'll update tomorrow.

Shular
2012-09-07, 02:03 AM
Melt, is there a way to indicate when something is bloodied? I tried putting in a conditional formatting (greater than T column/2 make background red), but it didn't work. Didn't want to try too much, though, since it's your spreadsheet. :smallbiggrin:

Dimers
2012-09-07, 04:39 AM
Do the spirits provide flank (asked the rogue)?

Mnope. Spirit of Athas and Spirit Companion are both conjuration effects, and by default conjurations don't count for flanking because they're neither creatures nor allies. Summonings are allied creatures and do flank, but most summonings are Daily attack powers for controller classes.

Other useful stuff to know about our party's spirits:

Crystal occupies her space but Rocky and Dusty don't. Enemies can walk right through the spirits of Athas, same as we can.
Rocky and Dusty can't be attacked or damaged. Crystal can, though she doesn't take damage like a creature would. Any of them could be dispelled with the right powers.
Crystal ends if Eveve gets knocked out. Rocky and Dusty survive that, but end if their creator dies.
They end if we don't keep them within line of effect -- can't send them to the other side of a wall, for instance.
We have to keep them in range or they end. Range is 5 for Rocky/Dusty, 20 for Crystal.

Clear as mud? Excellent. :smallamused:

Meltheim
2012-09-07, 10:38 AM
Melt, is there a way to indicate when something is bloodied? I tried putting in a conditional formatting (greater than T column/2 make background red), but it didn't work. Didn't want to try too much, though, since it's your spreadsheet. :smallbiggrin:

Yeah - where do you want it marked?

edit: Ok, i tweaked it so that it has a "bloodied" column now.

Meltheim
2012-09-09, 01:33 PM
OK, Felhammer and Arillius - it is your turn to go.

Felhammer
2012-09-09, 01:58 PM
Maximum Damage FTW! :smallbiggrin:

Shular
2012-09-09, 02:23 PM
Fel, I think you meant to target F13. F14 would only hit Skirmisher 3.

Felhammer
2012-09-09, 02:41 PM
Fel, I think you meant to target F13. F14 would only hit Skirmisher 3.

Must have mistyped. :smalleek: Yes I meant F-13.

Meltheim
2012-09-10, 02:17 PM
Alright, I'll give Arillius another 8 hours or so (basically after I work out and remember to log in) to take his turn. Otherwise, I'll take it or someone else can take it for him. Just don't burn any encounters/dailies :smallbiggrin:

Dimers
2012-09-10, 07:01 PM
The following assumes that Arillius is still unavailable. I'm not trying to "play someone's character for them", just suggesting tactics in the absence of stated input.

The archers being able to move around freely is really pumping up the enemy's DPR. If Van is at U6, he can use an OA if archer 2 or 3 tries anything fancy, and he's actually got a decent melee basic attack. He could direct the strike on Damakos before walking, just walk and MBA, or charge, but his other at-wills don't really do anything here.

That puts a fair bit of distance between leader and party, though, so if Van moves that direction he should get some support from Calder and/or Eveve on their turns. I think the optimal division of labor would be (( Standard to have Damakos magic missile skirmisher2 or spear2 )), (( Move Action to walk to U6 )), no minor action. Have both Calder and Eveve come over, cuz the rest of the party won't take long finishing off the skirmisher on the south side of the caravan.

Meltheim
2012-09-10, 07:10 PM
Dimers - I sent Arillius a message a few hours ago and haven't heard back from him yet. If he doesn't move in 3 hours (8 PM Pacific) please take his move for him.

Dimers
2012-09-10, 08:48 PM
Dimers - I sent Arillius a message a few hours ago and haven't heard back from him yet. If he doesn't move in 3 hours (8 PM Pacific) please take his move for him.

Ono. Me go bed now. Brain no have thinky. Slept four and a half hours last night, worked a 12-hour shift, walked both to and from work ... I am so not lasting another hour and a half. :smalltongue: :smallsigh:

Meltheim
2012-09-10, 09:33 PM
oh right, you're Boston. Alright. Let me do a round of P90 then I'll take like a dozen turns (this is what I get for having so many enemies in the fight).

Meltheim
2012-09-11, 12:15 AM
ugh that roll sucked. and then the enemy attacks sucked. Oh well.

Calder, Eveve, Lazam, it's your turn!

Meltheim
2012-09-11, 02:28 AM
NICE MOVES Shular! I don't know if you realize this, but the Skirmishers have exactly 20 hp :)

Shular
2012-09-11, 03:34 AM
NICE MOVES Shular! I don't know if you realize this, but the Skirmishers have exactly 20 hp :)

Thanks. Yeah, I kind of figured they were fairly low when the first one died. They're kind of like tough minions :-)

Anyway, Huren has the stance up for the rest of the combat, so if anything melees him, feel free to roll his interrupt (+11 to hit, 1d4+5 damage, plus 2d6+1 if he has combat advantage, such as flank) to save time.

Dimers
2012-09-11, 05:56 AM
My IC post said Spear1 was unlikely to OA, but that may be wrong. He knows he's marked, but he doesn't know that Calder can do something to respond if he strikes. So maybe he'd take the shot, because hey, what can it hurt to try?

SandDemon
2012-09-11, 04:35 PM
The "hit?" feature of Spear2 seems broken....I'm guessing 25 hits though :smallbiggrin: