PDA

View Full Version : Pushing the dice aside and finding your fate through Runestones

harpy
2012-08-24, 03:11 PM
There are so many RPG products out there now that it can be easy to miss a lot of things. I wanted to highlight the Kickstarter Fate of the Norns (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/avalkauskas/fate-of-the-norns-ragnarok-20th-anniversary-editio) as it does things a bit differently than your typical RPG.

Several years ago I got to playtest an early version of FotN and it immediately stood out to me due to the fact that the main mechanism of the game involves not dice, but using runestones to resolve conflicts. You pull runestones out of a bag, each with a nordic letter/symbol on them. Each symbol meant something different, and how they interacted with your character was likewise dependent on the makeup of your character.

Unfortunately the playtest I was involved in was around 2008 so all of the specific details have washed away now, but it's really exciting to see the game itself is now going into production, and Pendelhaven is backing up the production with some fantastic artwork and design.

I know that there was demoing going on at Gencon and a few other conventions, so someone else might be able to fill in the details better than I can, but if you're looking for trying something other than the traditional dice route then this is worth looking into.