PDA

View Full Version : Capstone Abilities

thompur
2012-08-24, 05:58 PM
I have been thinking recently about base classes, and how so few, if any, have a real interesting, or valuable, capstone ability at 20th level. Something to make taking a class from first to twentieth level worthwhile. In many of the groups I play with, most of which started way back in the days prior to AD&D, PrCs are almost never used. So in my work to tweak some of the classes to make them more interesting, like replacing Ranger and Paladin spell casting with useful and flavorful SLA, supernatural, and extraordinary class features, I’ve been trying to find good capstone abilities.
Before I continue, I want to make it clear that I’m not really trying to “fix” any classes, just make them fit into my world, and make them more fun.
Now I have some ideas, and I’d like to get the playground’s opinions on them, as well as your own thoughts on what would make good capstones.
Here’s what I’ve got so far:
*Fighter – at 20th level, a fighter can make all attacks at full BAB.
*Paladin – at 20th level, a Paladin gains a “Holy Aura”(as the spell), which can be turned on or off as a free action.
*Ranger – at 20th level, a Ranger gains Foresight as a supernatural ability.
*Rogue – at 20th level a Rogue can take 10 on any skill in which she has at least 10 ranks, even if distracted or threatened.
I haven’t thought much about full casters, yet, but I’d welcome ideas.
So, am I crazy? Is this a silly idea?
Does this belong in Homebrew?

Hyde
2012-08-24, 06:02 PM
Pathfinder added capstones (and more) to each class, it might be worth a look, if you haven't already.

pwykersotz
2012-08-24, 06:17 PM
Ooh! And a Monk could become a native outsider!

Kidding aside, that sounds pretty fun.

limejuicepowder
2012-08-24, 06:18 PM
I like the pally, ranger, and rogue capstones, but the fighter's is lackluster. Basically, if there's one thing a fighter can do it's hit stuff. Letting them hit a little more reliably (or harder, since all that extra attack is going to be turned to damage via power attack) is not that good, or interesting.

Give them some ability to mitigate damage, or control their opponents, so they're not just always waiting for their turn to roll for 45 million damage.

pwykersotz
2012-08-24, 06:35 PM
For Fighter, since you seem to like passive 8th or 9th level spells, maybe Freedom as a supernatural ability?

thompur
2012-08-24, 10:07 PM
I like the pally, ranger, and rogue capstones, but the fighter's is lackluster. Basically, if there's one thing a fighter can do it's hit stuff. Letting them hit a little more reliably (or harder, since all that extra attack is going to be turned to damage via power attack) is not that good, or interesting.

Give them some ability to mitigate damage, or control their opponents, so they're not just always waiting for their turn to roll for 45 million damage.

Yeah, I agree. How about... since my fighters can make a full attack as a standard action starting at 7th level, that at 20th level, they gain "Combat Mastery", meaning that they can sacrifice an attack action or two and 'take ten' on all attack actions for the rest of the round.

@ Pwykersotz- Thematically, I'm trying to avoid anything overtly magical for the mundane classes.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-08-24, 10:14 PM
Sovereign: A 20th level fighter is a king. He gains Leadership as a bonus feat, and ascends to become lord of a new nation. He becomes an NPC under the DM's control. If the game progresses beyond this point, the fighter's former player is advised to roll up a character that's actually competitive in the epic levels.

Inspired by the ever so terrible writer of the Mountebank's capstone.

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-24, 10:28 PM
Do capstones really matter? I mean, how often do you reach level 20?

Eugenides
2012-08-24, 10:38 PM
Do capstones really matter? I mean, how often do you reach level 20?

Depends on your party and DM, no?

thompur
2012-08-25, 12:13 PM
Sovereign: A 20th level fighter is a king. He gains Leadership as a bonus feat, and ascends to become lord of a new nation. He becomes an NPC under the DM's control. If the game progresses beyond this point, the fighter's former player is advised to roll up a character that's actually competitive in the epic levels.

Inspired by the ever so terrible writer of the Mountebank's capstone.

Actually Jade, that's very reminiscent of AD&D, aka '1st ed.' where character levels had titles. For fighters, I remember 1st level was a "Veteran", 6th level was a "Myrmydon", and at 10th level, the fighter became a "Lord" and gained a keep.:smallsmile: