PDA

View Full Version : Need encounter ideas for a Stargate Command style steampunk bunker. Please help.

Pika...
2012-08-25, 09:18 AM
Hello folks,

You have all been great help in the first arch of my campaign (the Thieves' Guild thread of mine), but now I could really use some ideas for the next arch that will follow it.

Some basic background fluff on my setting/campaign until now (my players no readie! :smallfurious:)

Notes:
-Basically, once the PCs finish off or essentially cripple the Thieves' Guild the king of the kingdom they are in will give them each a psionic item/weapon as a reward.
-My setting is low-magic, so these gifts are gonna be EXTREMELY appreciated.
-The king will tailor the "gifts" to each PC to make them even more desirable to make sure the PCs carry them.
-The king is one of the last Humans in existence. In my cosmology Humans had a number of "Great Human Wars", and after the last one they were crippled. The other races (Both the Long-Lived Races like Elves and Dwarves, and the Savage Races like Orcs, Gnolls, Goblins and such) which had been pushed back and lowed in numbers for centuries saw this as their last chance, so almost at once began to finish off the Humans.
-The king is the last survivor of a steampunk/psionic style Human city state which was very advanced. It was called Angelovis.
-The king is also the grandson of one of their greatest Artificers.
-Angelovis had these portal gates. The city state and each of it's satellite settlements had one, and they allowed for instant transportation through them.
-A few campaigns back when the current kingdom my PCs are in was founded by a old PC/player he brought the current king in as an adviser, and he made new gates for his master's kingdom.
-A few hundred years later the current king came out of a time loop he placed himself in, and took possession of his former master's kingdom.
-However, the current Human king's city state of birth's old enemies (a rival city state of Human self-made sentient undead) also came out of the loop with the king, and is gunning for revenge against the "Last Angelovian heir".

So now for how the background fluff connects to the current campaign (Again my players no readie!!):

-Knowing that it is only a matter of time before the undead Human city state attacks his newly obtained kingdom the king has decided to try and unearth the last resort "super-weapon" his grandfather was leading create. It needed more time to "mature" before it could be unleashed, but Angelovis was invaded and wiped out by the rival city state before it was finished.
-The king now wants to find this "super-weapon", but is not going to go alone into the crumbling Angelovis as it is still QUITE dangerous. Plus, he needs to prepare his kingdom for a possible attack. Hence this is why he is secretly recruiting the PCs.
-You see, next time ALL the PCs travel through one of the new gates in the new kingdom and all have their psionic gifts/weapons on them, the gate will "malfunction" and overload. This will send them to the "Stargate Command style steampunk bunker" I mentioned in my title on the other side of the continent.
-Fluffwise I am going to have it that this bunker is where Angelovis' leaders and greatest minds/Artificers took refuge during the final invasion, and then portaled away to safety before the bunker as taken. The current king was a mere infant at the time, but his photographic memory allows him to remember every terrifying moment.
The king is hoping the super weapon is in this bunker (I am not sure if I will have it there or not, but if I want to have them explore the steampunk ruins I will try to make the bunker, once cleared out, their "base").
-The king has installed a crytsal on each of the psionic "gifts" that allow him to see and hear what is going on.

I already have ideas for what lies outside in the city-state itself. I have had these ideas floating around in my head for around three years now. However, I want to make the bunker-complex it's own mini-adventure. I want the players to have to take it once inside, or at the very least need to fight their way out after unexpectedly arriving in the bunker complex.

Currently I have mapped out only the "Portal Room" and the murder-hole filled hallway leading to it. I want the portal room to be at the very bottom floor of the bunker complex.

Rooms I have thought of so far:

Bottom Floor:
-Portal Room
-Sealable halfway to Portal Room with plenty of murder holes.
-A "Command Room" from where leaders and generals of Angelovis used to dispatch orders.
-The grandfather's lab and study.
-A larger communal lab and study for the other Artificers.
-A small armory for the floor.

As for the number of floors this will have, I have no idea. Suggestions?

Also, any suggestions for what kind of encounters I should use in here? I have NO idea what to throw in here. Please feel free to share ANY ideas you may have. :smallsmile:

Note:
In my cosmology Angelovis is where Warforged were designed and created as soldiers for their armies to fight the other Human city states. This is where almost all Warforged originate.

In the city itself I plan on having the pre-Warforged robots from the Eberron setting (the non-sentient ones) still patrolling it, along with the giant pre-Warforged. Would this be useful inside the bunker? They might be too old to have been used in there I imagine?

PS.
Oh, and I forgot to mention that once the PCs are in the bunker they can't simply portal their way out.

A) The Angelovis leadership had the "DHD" style devices disabled during the Last Great Human War in case of an invasion so they could not be used by the enemy. Instead leadership, and certain gate guards had gauntlet style controls.

B) Even if a PC gets a gauntlet he will need "access codes" to access another gate, and the gauntlets work in Common, which is now a dead language.

C) Even if they get access codes (maybe located somewhere in the bunker?) for a gauntlet the gates normally only have enough power to reach gates within what used to be Angelovis' territory. Basically, only enough juice to jumps to their settlements. The king had to put some extra juice in the psionic items to get the PCs here. So if the PCs want to use the portals to get back to their kingdom that will need some creative thought on their parts.

As usual, many pikas in advance! :smallsmile:

Starshade
2012-08-26, 06:42 AM
Something different than Eberron robots? Some Shield Guardian's who once belonged to someone who was in there, a few laboratory creations, as Clockwork Horror's who's used the time since the city fell to dig out of their specimen boxes, and now builds a clockwork hive in a lab.
Hammerer automaton's, and Pulverizer automaton's, labourers for the guys living there, along with some servant golemish creations, semi intelligent.
a few Crysmals in cases in a lab, a few escaped of their boxes.

Kol Korran
2012-08-26, 12:54 PM
what level is the group?

Gandariel
2012-08-26, 02:38 PM
If your party isn't too high level, you might wanna check the link in my sig :)
Yeah, shameless self-plug, but really check it out.
Some cool nice steampunky units, with drawings too :) (still not complete, but a lot of content is already there)

Pika...
2012-08-26, 09:57 PM
I plan to do this when they are around level 8-12.

Something different than Eberron robots? Some Shield Guardian's who once belonged to someone who was in there, a few laboratory creations, as Clockwork Horror's who's used the time since the city fell to dig out of their specimen boxes, and now builds a clockwork hive in a lab.
Hammerer automaton's, and Pulverizer automaton's, labourers for the guys living there, along with some servant golemish creations, semi intelligent.
a few Crysmals in cases in a lab, a few escaped of their boxes.

Sorry to bother, but could you provide some book sources for those? :smallbiggrin:

Also, the Clockworks are already loose on the planet. The former king made them to slow down the rival city state, but in my next campaign they will blow up into the next "plague" on the planet.

If your party isn't too high level, you might wanna check the link in my sig :)
Yeah, shameless self-plug, but really check it out.
Some cool nice steampunky units, with drawings too :) (still not complete, but a lot of content is already there)

Seems interesting! I'll look at it some more in a bit.

Kol Korran
2012-08-27, 02:17 AM
Ok, some random ideas:
1) One of the old artifciers is still alive, of a sort. s/he noticed that the simple construct automated systems didn't work well enough, and decided to sort of... fuse him/herself into the main machine ("friend computer"). The complex is partly dysfunctional, but the artificer still runs it, and activates some of it's defenses and so on. However, it's resources are slim, and power precious, so it takes great care to try and maintain itself and repel the possible aggressor.

Main benefits:
- The artificer/ computer may tell all kind of info about the lost empire, about the past, giving a lot of expo, even some clues about the king.
- A more interactive and compelling dungeon. The Computer learns about the party and devise new strategies.

What does it want? How does it behave? I leave that to you, but here are a few suggestions:
- Connection to the "computer" has not gone well, and it is now partly paranoid, partly crazy. There are enough games that give examples of that. (I haven't played it, but i heard Portal is one?)
- It is in fact quite humane, but awfully depressed, believing all of it's people died (since no one came back for it). It may range from jealously protecting the remains of the human culture, to just not caring, letting or even helping the party get what they wand.
- Trapped in the computer's programming- the computer's programming is still set as it was- protect against all invaders, and it is intent on keeping it that way. When the artificer merged with the computer, the computer enslaved it's intelligence and abilities to it's own objectives. The voice and desires of the Artificer might come out at times, trying to help the party, but most likely in the computer's voice, confusing the party even more.

Physicality:
- I'd imagine There is some central control room of the computer, but that the party needs to get key cards/ authorization/ blow up power grids and the like. The computer can inhibit most constructs and traps in the compound, but only a few at a time (limited resources) so it just guard key locations, and perhaps sends a few "seek and destroy" units.
- At the computer room itself, I suggest some sort of interface between a body (the artificer) in a vat/ on some sort of sleeping chamber/ connected directly to the computer, and the computer using some last resources and guardians to be stall the party. The party might weaken the computer's defenses by somehow "jacking" into it (some sort of magical skills or spell use), or disconnecting the artificer (lessening it's intelligence)

Potential outcomes:
- Computer destroyed- compound now silent, it's the players. The party might however be given clues to ways of resetting the computer, or of repowering it after it's been deactivated. (The power source has some powerful guardian the computer reasoned it can't beat).
- The artificer might or might not be saved, might or might not be attached to the computer. This might give a powerful ally/ upgrade to the computer/ nice feature for the base. Due to the long years some skills might have been lost (so it can't just create them an army of warforged). but still nice. I suggest not to hinge the campaign on his/ her survival, consider it as a nice bonus (but one that is quite hard to get).

Other ideas for encounters:
1) Arcane ooze (MM3)- A by product of the magical background and waste. Especially effective against a party that relies on arcane casting. I used it once for a group of 10th level (not that optimized) inside a very large pit trap. It was a worthy challenge. ESPECIALLY important if they haven't found a safe place to rest. (But i assume they do?)

2) Alchemical golem (MM3) might guard some laboratory of an artificer specializing in alchemical stuff. It's quite a nice encounter.

3) Shade steel golem (yeah, again MM3, love the book)- I suggest sending 1-3 as sort of assassins after the group by the computer, or as high security guards.

4) A bit of a weird room- the grafting room, only it's called a "health clinic". basically wounded character are asked to lie on a table for "healing/ revitalization/ another "descriptive" term. They are then asked for the wounded limb/ eye/ whatever. If the character chooses something, then the character is suddenly shackled, immobilized, and a light shines from a so far opaque (I hope that is the word) wall, showing such a limb, but from a different... source. It is then Whooshed as an EXTREMELY fast and extremely painful speed operation takes place, replacing the limb/ eye/ skin for the graft.

There are grafts in many books, I know only of the Magic of Eberron. The grafts are involuntary, they cannot be changed back, and may come with a slight trauma. (Or a major one?) this was the compound's idea- why heal it, if we can make it better? There is a limited number of grafts only, the limited power did not suffice to keep all functional.

5) Some undead, the remains of the compound protectors, twisted by grief to this cursed existence:
- Ghost (MM1) of the commander of defense. Still trying to repel existence, save his people. (As a nice touch he can summon other "pseudo spirits to fight with him) Can be set free If he is led to believe (bluff) that the base is safe, or understand that the base is lost (diplomacy?)
- Grimweird (MM3)- the former master conjurer, bringer of outsider allies to the defense. At the last moments he tried to make some sort of deal to bring more forces, and it cost him his life, and unlife. You can pepper it;s surroundinggs by summoning oozes (MM3) and various lower level summoned/ called outsiders. It doesn't have to be a combat encounter, could be a tense negotiating one. I'd place the Grimweird's mind as a partly alien one, too long have watched the outer planes, gazes into the abyss and the heavens and what's in between. It may have some sort of a scrying pool to the planes, one that might be attuned to this world as well, perhaps with special powers?

6) A bit of an unusual construct, or positive energy (sort of)- the Quesar (BoED)- they have a sort of disintegrate ability, I suggest to upgrade it. They should be guarding powers sources and such)

I hope this helps!

Pika...
2012-08-28, 10:47 PM
Ok, some random ideas:
1) One of the old artifciers is still alive, of a sort. s/he noticed that the simple construct automated systems didn't work well enough, and decided to sort of... fuse him/herself into the main machine ("friend computer"). The complex is partly dysfunctional, but the artificer still runs it, and activates some of it's defenses and so on. However, it's resources are slim, and power precious, so it takes great care to try and maintain itself and repel the possible aggressor.

Main benefits:
- The artificer/ computer may tell all kind of info about the lost empire, about the past, giving a lot of expo, even some clues about the king.
- A more interactive and compelling dungeon. The Computer learns about the party and devise new strategies.

What does it want? How does it behave? I leave that to you, but here are a few suggestions:
- Connection to the "computer" has not gone well, and it is now partly paranoid, partly crazy. There are enough games that give examples of that. (I haven't played it, but i heard Portal is one?)
- It is in fact quite humane, but awfully depressed, believing all of it's people died (since no one came back for it). It may range from jealously protecting the remains of the human culture, to just not caring, letting or even helping the party get what they wand.
- Trapped in the computer's programming- the computer's programming is still set as it was- protect against all invaders, and it is intent on keeping it that way. When the artificer merged with the computer, the computer enslaved it's intelligence and abilities to it's own objectives. The voice and desires of the Artificer might come out at times, trying to help the party, but most likely in the computer's voice, confusing the party even more.

Physicality:
- I'd imagine There is some central control room of the computer, but that the party needs to get key cards/ authorization/ blow up power grids and the like. The computer can inhibit most constructs and traps in the compound, but only a few at a time (limited resources) so it just guard key locations, and perhaps sends a few "seek and destroy" units.
- At the computer room itself, I suggest some sort of interface between a body (the artificer) in a vat/ on some sort of sleeping chamber/ connected directly to the computer, and the computer using some last resources and guardians to be stall the party. The party might weaken the computer's defenses by somehow "jacking" into it (some sort of magical skills or spell use), or disconnecting the artificer (lessening it's intelligence)

Potential outcomes:
- Computer destroyed- compound now silent, it's the players. The party might however be given clues to ways of resetting the computer, or of repowering it after it's been deactivated. (The power source has some powerful guardian the computer reasoned it can't beat).
- The artificer might or might not be saved, might or might not be attached to the computer. This might give a powerful ally/ upgrade to the computer/ nice feature for the base. Due to the long years some skills might have been lost (so it can't just create them an army of warforged). but still nice. I suggest not to hinge the campaign on his/ her survival, consider it as a nice bonus (but one that is quite hard to get).

Other ideas for encounters:
1) Arcane ooze (MM3)- A by product of the magical background and waste. Especially effective against a party that relies on arcane casting. I used it once for a group of 10th level (not that optimized) inside a very large pit trap. It was a worthy challenge. ESPECIALLY important if they haven't found a safe place to rest. (But i assume they do?)

2) Alchemical golem (MM3) might guard some laboratory of an artificer specializing in alchemical stuff. It's quite a nice encounter.

3) Shade steel golem (yeah, again MM3, love the book)- I suggest sending 1-3 as sort of assassins after the group by the computer, or as high security guards.

4) A bit of a weird room- the grafting room, only it's called a "health clinic". basically wounded character are asked to lie on a table for "healing/ revitalization/ another "descriptive" term. They are then asked for the wounded limb/ eye/ whatever. If the character chooses something, then the character is suddenly shackled, immobilized, and a light shines from a so far opaque (I hope that is the word) wall, showing such a limb, but from a different... source. It is then Whooshed as an EXTREMELY fast and extremely painful speed operation takes place, replacing the limb/ eye/ skin for the graft.

There are grafts in many books, I know only of the Magic of Eberron. The grafts are involuntary, they cannot be changed back, and may come with a slight trauma. (Or a major one?) this was the compound's idea- why heal it, if we can make it better? There is a limited number of grafts only, the limited power did not suffice to keep all functional.

5) Some undead, the remains of the compound protectors, twisted by grief to this cursed existence:
- Ghost (MM1) of the commander of defense. Still trying to repel existence, save his people. (As a nice touch he can summon other "pseudo spirits to fight with him) Can be set free If he is led to believe (bluff) that the base is safe, or understand that the base is lost (diplomacy?)
- Grimweird (MM3)- the former master conjurer, bringer of outsider allies to the defense. At the last moments he tried to make some sort of deal to bring more forces, and it cost him his life, and unlife. You can pepper it;s surroundinggs by summoning oozes (MM3) and various lower level summoned/ called outsiders. It doesn't have to be a combat encounter, could be a tense negotiating one. I'd place the Grimweird's mind as a partly alien one, too long have watched the outer planes, gazes into the abyss and the heavens and what's in between. It may have some sort of a scrying pool to the planes, one that might be attuned to this world as well, perhaps with special powers?

6) A bit of an unusual construct, or positive energy (sort of)- the Quesar (BoED)- they have a sort of disintegrate ability, I suggest to upgrade it. They should be guarding powers sources and such)

I hope this helps!

Dood, this stuff is perfect! I love it , and it fits perfectly with an idea I had.

I was going to have it that the head artificers of the kingdom were trying to create even "better" warforged. While it was debated among them if a warforged really had a soul, the next major project was to make better constructs using actual souls. (Regretfully) taking a note from their rivals they started placing psionic soul-catching crystals on the uniforms of Human soldiers from their city state that volunteered, which were collected after battles from fallen men/women.

Some of the crystals have been placed in beta-stage prototype construct guardians for the base.

They are essentially based on the Wraithguard from Warhammer 40K. They are semi-sentient on their own. Think very cloudy minds and slow thinking. However, when in the presence/medium range (100ft + 5ft/level of this Psionicist) of a psionicist they become more active, quicker thinking, better reasoning, more self-aware. (Basically, they have a 25% chance of only being able to do a single move or standard action a turn unless nearby a psionicist).

Perhaps the remaining artificer placed himself in such a crystal, and had it placed inside the "control chamber" of the "controls room"?

ps. I think I am going to have two vaults stuffed with these soul crystals. The king is going to be eager to get his hands on the crystals, and the plans for the constructs. This way he will be able to build an instant, and insanely powerful army. Being epic in level he could lead the army himself.

Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated folks! :D