PDA

View Full Version : riddles

awa
2012-08-25, 11:03 AM
so i have a set of riddles in an upcoming game each player gets a guess and ever riddle they cant answer by the time they leave the room is a foe whose theme is based on the riddle. i want to see roughly how hard these riddles are.

1> I am a stronger weapon than any sword a stronger bulwark then any shield. Those without me are no more than beasts
2> look upon my face and see your own gazing back
3> I can make the strong weak and the weak strong only in my grip do the brave exist
4> I can’t be seen only felt, im a gentle caress that tousle your hair, im a screaming hammer that uproots trees and smashes houses.
5> men die mountains die gods die all that lives and all that doesn’t will one day die save I
6> I follow you where ever you go hiding from the light but without its gaze I would not exist

please post your response with spoilers so as not to give it away

Anxe
2012-08-25, 11:15 AM
We only get one guess right? 1. Intelligence
2. Mirror
3. Fear
4. Wind
5. Chaos? Darkness? Magic? Depending on setting this could be a number of things.
6. Shadow

LordofDragons24
2012-08-25, 11:17 AM
Some good, some tough. I liked the challenge though! :D

1. The Mind (what are we but beasts without our ability to think, reason, challenge..)
2. A mirror (not too tough)
3. Not sure... nothing comes to mind. very tough.
4.The wind. Too easy.
5.Time? Death itself? Not sure on that one. pretty tough.
6.A Shadow. Common to riddles, too easy.

awa
2012-08-25, 12:25 PM
each player would get a guess
it seems like the riddles are a little on the easy side but i would rather they be to easy then to hard
the answers are
1 knowledge
2 mirror
3 fear
4 wind
5 time
6 shadow

Jerthanis
2012-08-25, 01:21 PM
1.) My only guess is Reason...

2.) A Mirror

3.) Fear

4.) The Wind

5.) Nothing

6.) Your Shadow

These are good riddles in that they make sense and can be guessed. I wasn't confident in my answer for #1, but I could see hearing the answer and going, "Oh, of course." The riddle in #4 is a little too obvious because 'tousleing hair' is a little too evocative. Then again, I could have gotten it wrong.

awa
2012-08-25, 01:25 PM
4 may be to easy it seems every one gets it a little to easily i may want to reword it or replace it

some guy
2012-08-25, 01:27 PM
1. Hart.
2. A mirror.
3. Fear.
4. The wind.
5. Time.
6. Shadows.

I think with the exception of 1, they are a bit too easy for people who know riddles. 1 is a bit too vague and open for too many options in my opinion. Do you know if your players the type of people who know riddles? I guess 2-6 are fine for people who haven't really encountered riddles.

theNater
2012-08-25, 01:39 PM
My guesses are:
1)Speech
2)Mirror
3)Fear
4)Wind
5)Time?
6)My shadow
Well, I did pretty good.

RandomLunatic
2012-08-25, 02:07 PM
They seem a bit on the easy side; it only took me about 30 seconds to crack them all. Still, that is better than sitting there for hours playing "read the DM's mind". Number 5 is the exception-that took me a lot longer, and I am still not sure about it.

1: Intelligence/Brains/Wisdom
2: A mirror
3: Fear
4: Wind
5: Hope/Dreams? Maybe Time?
6: Shadow

genderlich
2012-08-25, 02:16 PM
The only one that isn't mostly obvious is 5 because it's vague. 2, 4, and 6 are particularly easy.

awa
2012-08-25, 02:25 PM
2 and 6 were supposed to be kinda freebies im a bit disappointed 4 is so easy

5 is hard but enough people are getting it right that im not worried

Jerthanis
2012-08-25, 07:24 PM
2 and 6 were supposed to be kinda freebies im a bit disappointed 4 is so easy

5 is hard but enough people are getting it right that im not worried

#4 could be harder if it did something more obscure or poetic like, "give men wings like fish" or something.

#5 I'd say is a problem because being open ended, you could justify several answers.

For example, I feel as if I could argue my answer being more appropriate than yours. In fact, "Until the end of time" is a common phrase. Whether Time will end or not is sort of a cosmological unknown.

awa
2012-08-25, 07:30 PM
it doesn't matter if the answer is better the pc just need to guess what the wizard who made the riddle was thinking.

one of the original riddles was about how love was a distraction and a weakness but i cut it becuase getting it would require them finding out the wizard felt his lover had betrayed him (also i didn't like the riddle )

Jerthanis
2012-08-25, 08:59 PM
it doesn't matter if the answer is better the pc just need to guess what the wizard who made the riddle was thinking.

one of the original riddles was about how love was a distraction and a weakness but i cut it becuase getting it would require them finding out the wizard felt his lover had betrayed him (also i didn't like the riddle )

Ooh, actually, that's really exciting. That's a great way to expose the PCs to the character of the area they're adventuring in.

I think the PCs having to find out what the wizard felt about his lover in order to answer a riddle is awesome if you can get it to work right. I mean, obviously it's not supposed to be a test of the PC's capabilities anymore at that point, but a method of exposition but...

I'm reminded of all the ways they characterized Irenicus in Baldur's Gate 2.