PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Target: You or Self?

theUnearther
2012-08-25, 08:26 PM
What is the difference between spells (maneuvers, powers, truenames, whichever) that have a target of "You" and those that have a target of "Self"? I am pretty sure I have found instances of both somewhere, but I cannot think of any implication of them being different.

Neftren
2012-08-25, 08:29 PM
I'm not exactly the authority on this, and without knowing specifically which maneuver/spell/etc. you're referencing, I would infer that spells that have a target of "You" could in theory be cast on another individual.

tyckspoon
2012-08-25, 08:32 PM
I'm pretty sure they have the same meaning and nobody ever cared to force standardization on the writers (see also Range: Personal with no Target for yet another way of describing the same spell positioning.)

Psyren
2012-08-26, 11:36 AM
As Target: Self is not used in Core, I would expect any instances of such elsewhere to be editing/standardization errors.

shadow_archmagi
2012-08-26, 11:38 AM
Target: You

are spells designed to work on the player, rather than the character, a la Dark Dungeons.

Target: Self

Is actually a typo. Should read: Target: S.elf as they are all invariably magics designed to kill sea elves in subtle and roundabout ways.

theUnearther
2012-08-26, 02:19 PM
Alright, thank you for your answers.
Just for the record, there isn't any exploit that can be had because "that spell says You, not Self", right?

jackattack
2012-08-26, 04:08 PM
[sarcasm]

"You" spells can be cast on doppelgangers, clones, identical twins, and other doubles/duplicates. "Self" spells can't.

[\sarcasm]

Roguenewb
2012-08-26, 08:04 PM
[sarcasm]

"You" spells can be cast on doppelgangers, clones, identical twins, and other doubles/duplicates. "Self" spells can't.

[\sarcasm]

This post should be blue =)

I agree with all the above, AFAIK, You and Self are identical. There is a subtle difference between target:self and range:personal, but I have no idea what it is.

killianh
2012-08-26, 08:12 PM
Actually I think there is a difference. You can be chained, Self cannot. Not 100% sure though

shadow_archmagi
2012-08-27, 07:47 AM
Actually I think there is a difference. You can be chained, Self cannot. Not 100% sure though

Oh, that's right, some metamagic is written with language like "If the spell has a target other than self..."

jackattack
2012-08-27, 10:07 AM
That could just be another editorial oversight...

shadow_archmagi
2012-08-27, 02:09 PM
That could just be another editorial oversight...

No. The editors knew that using metamagic against sea elves would be overpowered.

TuggyNE
2012-08-27, 02:39 PM
No. The editors knew that using metamagic against sea elves would be overpowered.

All hail the wisdom and foresight of the great WotC editors!

:smallbiggrin:

theUnearther
2012-08-27, 04:53 PM
See, that is exactly the kind of ridiculous thing I had in mind originally. Thank you. Thank you all.