PDA

View Full Version : Psionic SoDs that don't allow PR

Mithril Leaf
2012-08-25, 08:33 PM
Title basically says it all. Is there any sort of psionic power that doesn't allow Power Resistance. It's also nice if it's not mind-affecting. Requiring that you hit the target or allowing saves is perfectly fine. I've found just about squat.

EDIT: Actually, do any Save or Dies not allow SR?

EDIT2: Save or Sucks/ Save or Loses also work. Anything that takes a high level enemy down a peg.

tyckspoon
2012-08-25, 08:40 PM
You're basically asking for a non-magical way to magically force somebody to die. I'm not going to absolutely say it doesn't exist- there's a lot of really stupidly crafted spells in D&D- but I'm not familiar with any and I'll be rather surprised if somebody can think of one. You can optimize some of the SR-No damage spells to the point where they will reliably destroy 99% of expected opponents, but I don't think you'll find an actual SR No save-or-die.

Mithril Leaf
2012-08-25, 08:46 PM
You're basically asking for a non-magical way to magically force somebody to die. I'm not going to absolutely say it doesn't exist- there's a lot of really stupidly crafted spells in D&D- but I'm not familiar with any and I'll be rather surprised if somebody can think of one. You can optimize some of the SR-No damage spells to the point where they will reliably destroy 99% of expected opponents, but I don't think you'll find an actual SR No save-or-die.

Damn, I was hoping there was something with the AC and Save defense instead of the SR and Save defense. I assumed there were some, probably due to the whole attitude of them as the holy grail of high level play.

AmberVael
2012-08-25, 09:53 PM
Well.... it's not precisely the best, but it is pretty dangerous... and it's the closest thing I can think of.

Complete Psionic, page 81-82. Crystalstorm. Not mind-affecting, low level, no SR, and instantaneous metacreativity (creation) to boot (which has identical benefits to instantaneous conjurations). You can throw this right into antimagic if you want to.
It takes a ranged touch attack. It then deals some crappy damage. The point of interest, however, is that it deals constitution damage on a failed fortitude save, damage which can augmented to larger levels (2 power points for 1 additional con damage).

It's not really a save or die, particularly since it will be so difficult to actually kill someone with one hit. But if the enemy doesn't have a good fortitude save, it's really deadly stuff, especially since you can overchannel it AND use talented with it.

The biggest problem is that Fort save. Still, those who it IS a viable power against will fall to it in short order- and if you hit someone with it once, they're way more likely to get hit by it again.

eggs
2012-08-25, 10:06 PM
Damn, I was hoping there was something with the AC and Save defense instead of the SR and Save defense. I assumed there were some, probably due to the whole attitude of them as the holy grail of high level play.
Yeah. Most of the actual "or Die" spells kind of suck: single-target+SR: Yes+Saving Throw: Yes+common immunities doesn't add up well. That's what makes mailman builds special.

The closest I can think of would be death attacks from the various psychic assassin/lurk-archetype classes.

Mithril Leaf
2012-08-25, 10:15 PM
Well.... it's not precisely the best, but it is pretty dangerous... and it's the closest thing I can think of.

Complete Psionic, page 81-82. Crystalstorm. Not mind-affecting, low level, no SR, and instantaneous metacreativity (creation) to boot (which has identical benefits to instantaneous conjurations). You can throw this right into antimagic if you want to.
It takes a ranged touch attack. It then deals some crappy damage. The point of interest, however, is that it deals constitution damage on a failed fortitude save, damage which can augmented to larger levels (2 power points for 1 additional con damage).

It's not really a save or die, particularly since it will be so difficult to actually kill someone with one hit. But if the enemy doesn't have a good fortitude save, it's really deadly stuff, especially since you can overchannel it AND use talented with it.

The biggest problem is that Fort save. Still, those who it IS a viable power against will fall to it in short order- and if you hit someone with it once, they're way more likely to get hit by it again.

That's quite handy for me, thanks. I'm currently a poison guy, so I needed something to handle evil outsiders.

Rubik
2012-08-26, 04:44 PM
I used an Empowered Temporal Acceleration followed by an Overchanneled, double-Empowered, Chaotic Surged (which multiplied the entirety of the damage by an extra x1.5) Swarm of Crystals and several more Chaotic Surged Link Powered Swarms of Crystals to deal enough damage to slaughter an epic level BBEG with a level 18 shaper/constructor/anarchic initiate. No save, no PR, just die.

And then I spat on the liquefied corpse and told her not to **** with someone whose brain was hung like a horse. (I was LE.)

It was awesome.

Roguenewb
2012-08-26, 07:27 PM
Psionics is a lot better at preventing some of the silly-hard to resist spells that are prevalent in high level Arcane Casters, probably because there are much less published Psionic powers and they didn't feel the urge to print 30 per book that needed to be proofread. The result is that psionics tends to actually have things it can't deal with (unlike Arcane and Divine magic), and tends to actually be weak to the things it's supposed to be weak to!

Crystalstorm is decent, and you can go mailman-y with Swarm of Crystals as well (which is surprisingly cool power as it's an area effect, no save, no SR, 1d4 per level damage output)

Mithril Leaf
2012-08-26, 08:15 PM
Psionics is a lot better at preventing some of the silly-hard to resist spells that are prevalent in high level Arcane Casters, probably because there are much less published Psionic powers and they didn't feel the urge to print 30 per book that needed to be proofread. The result is that psionics tends to actually have things it can't deal with (unlike Arcane and Divine magic), and tends to actually be weak to the things it's supposed to be weak to!

Crystalstorm is decent, and you can go mailman-y with Swarm of Crystals as well (which is surprisingly cool power as it's an area effect, no save, no SR, 1d4 per level damage output)

I'm thinking a double empowered, overchanneled, chaotic surged, quori shard boosted Crystalstorm should handle many encounters. Only once a day if I want to buff, but it's an amazing nova.