View Full Version : Unoptimisation problems.

Dark Kerman
2012-08-26, 05:42 PM
Hey, for reasons best left to the imagination, I'm making a monk. Not only that, but I want to choose the most UNoptimised race for it. Any suggestions?

(Also, can the race be preferably of medium size category?)

Fouredged Sword
2012-08-26, 06:07 PM
Halfling, but that is small. Grey elf would be fairly bad with a con and str penalty. Dwarf could be funny, but the con boost doesn't hurt. You could play a half-ork with no wis bonus and just punch things. Bonus points if you go monk2/harlf-ork paragon and get rage. Act like a barbarian.

Eldan
2012-08-26, 06:17 PM
Ghostwalk Ghost? You'd be incorporeal and unable to punch things.

Roguenewb
2012-08-26, 06:19 PM
Normal ghost, so you have 5 LA.

LTwerewolf
2012-08-26, 06:21 PM
Not medium, but Pixie would be pretty terrible. Drow wouldn't be very great at it either, nor would kobolds.

eggs
2012-08-26, 09:54 PM
Nezumi is nowhere near the worst, but for a race that looks like it's supposed to make a great monk, it's remarkably bad.

The Bite/Claw mechanic takes the Monk's one big advantage (lots of attacks per round), and throws it away with an "only one unarmed attack per round" clause.

HunterOfJello
2012-08-26, 10:20 PM
Desert Kobold
-4 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Wis with a loss of several racial weapon prof. in favor of +2 to Survival, small but unfortunately 30ft movement speed

Warforged Scout
+2 Dex, -2 Str, -2 Wis, -2 Cha, small size, 20ft movement speed, forced armor

medium sized:

Half Elves would be bland

Gray Elf
-2 Str, -2 Con, +2 Dex, +2 Int

Salanmander
2012-08-26, 10:50 PM
Do you want the race that when monk levels are added will make the least effective character for its ECL?

Or the race that will make the worst MONK for its ECL?

For the latter go something that has strong non-synergistic abilities and a ridiculous LA. I'm thinking Succubus, Doppelganger, or Mind Flayer. They all have ECL much higher than their CR, due to abilities that don't really benefit their monkiness (although Succubus has flight, so that might actually be more effective than, say, an elf monk).

If you're looking to make the least effective character overall...I'd be amused by an anthropomorphic bat monk. Bonus points because it's super wisdom just makes it extra...monk-y. Better defenses, while being even less effective at actually affecting the outcome of a fight.

killianh
2012-08-26, 11:09 PM
There's a Race with a -4 Wis, -4 DEX, can't remember the name though

Githyanki are pretty bad too

Kazyan
2012-08-26, 11:15 PM
If you're looking to make the least effective character overall...I'd be amused by an anthropomorphic bat monk. Bonus points because it's super wisdom just makes it extra...monk-y. Better defenses, while being even less effective at actually affecting the outcome of a fight.

Even better: Jermlaine. Preposterously difficult to hit, but completely incapable of doing anything else ever.

kitcik
2012-09-04, 02:45 PM
Diabolus (DR 327)

LA +5
Outsider (native, chaotic)
no ability mods
• Medium Size
• 30’ Movement
• Darkvision 60’
• +2 Racial bonus on saves vs. spells & spelllike
abilities
• Weapon Familiarity – Trident is a Martial
weapon
• Tail Slash – 1d4 + poison (Sickened for 2d4 rnd / — /
DC is Constitution-based)
• +2 Racial bonus on Intimidate checks vs. Animals &
Humanoids.
• –2 penalty on Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Perform &
Sense Motive checks.

Urpriest
2012-09-04, 03:06 PM
Diabolus (DR 327)

LA +5
Outsider (native, chaotic)
no ability mods
• Medium Size
• 30’ Movement
• Darkvision 60’
• +2 Racial bonus on saves vs. spells & spelllike
abilities
• Weapon Familiarity – Trident is a Martial
weapon
• Tail Slash – 1d4 + poison (Sickened for 2d4 rnd / — /
DC is Constitution-based)
• +2 Racial bonus on Intimidate checks vs. Animals &
Humanoids.
• –2 penalty on Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Perform &
Sense Motive checks.

They're LA +1 as of Dragon Compendium.

I'd go for an Always Chaotic race, if possible.