PDA

View Full Version : Metamagic + Spell Storing = ?

Gnome Alone
2012-08-26, 07:16 PM
So, I was wondering: I am playing a 13th level duskblade. If I get a Lesser Rod of Maximize, could I then use it to maximize a Vampiric Touch into a spell storing falchion? The issue seems to be, does a rod-maximized spell count as a full round action of a spell that then won't fit into my sword? I do not yet entirely grok metamagic, especially when the rods of it come into play.

Keep in mind I am not Arcane Channeling the spell; I would be casting it pre-battle in the first place. I do intend to channel a different spell while releasing the stored one; perhaps Shocking Grasp for even more damage or Dimension Hop if I'm feeling clever, to send them elsewhere. (Probably into the bear warrior, for more damage.:smallsigh:) I just thought it would be nice to have some guaranteed ridiculously hard hits from Vampiric Touch per day, for killing up my enemies and healing up my lonesome, as d8 hit dice are not the best. Anybody help me out?

(Side note: I am aware that trying to trick out the already ludicrous damage of a duskblade even more is not the most inventive optimization; nevertheless after recently being torn apart by a bunch of plot-crazed tigers I thought it might be nice to have this particular trick up my sleeve.)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-08-26, 07:40 PM
Unless you're using Heighten Spell, the spell still counts as its original level regardless of what level spell slot it was cast from. A normally maximized Vampiric Touch cast from a 6th level spell slot can be placed in a spell storing weapon, because it still counts as a 3rd level spell for all purposes.