PDA

View Full Version : A Casual Game

Eldest
2012-08-26, 11:03 PM
OOC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13754123#post13754123) / IC (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13793896#post13793896)

Up and at it, you lazy bums! A man's roar wakes all of you from a dead sleep at an ungodly hour, causing you all to stare at the roof of your often patched tent and wonder, not for the first time in the last three days, why you joined up with Darcer's Deadbeats. Time to start earning you pay, meeting by the firepit in five minutes! The captain, Darcer, seems incapable of speaking in anything quieter than a scream. Rumor has it that he once watched an army captain yell out tactical orders to a squad, saw the squad rally and defeat the bandits they were faltering against, and decided that the volume was the secret to military success. Needless to say, you are not impressed with his intellect, and you are looking forward to the your first assignments so that you can escape what he assumes is "training".

ZeroNumerous
2012-08-27, 02:11 AM
Marlia'zara

Owing to her natural incompatibility with sleep Marlia'zara had already been awake and sitting in front of the campfire when the captain goes about his normal morning routine. The lithe female warrior frequently tranced from nine to one in the morning, and tonight had been no different. She ignores the Captain's shouts. He'd always been an idiot, but at least he was an ignorable idiot. Her white-and-black robe--a common sight in her homeland--hugs her form tightly. Her delicate hands firmly rub a sharpening stone across the length of her blade. The silvery-white sword shone lightly as the campfire's light danced and weaved across its surface. She lovingly works the shining blade to a sharp edge, and only stops to test it by dropping a single strand of her hair upon it.

Satisfied with its edge the elven woman returns the borrowed stone to whomever owned it. Marlia'zara rarely spoke to the others unless coerced or required, but she'd always been honest in her dealings with the other mercenaries. She'd never willingly steal, and returned anything she borrowed; even something as common as a sharpening stone. The elf's pale jade eyes follow the captain's trek around their camp.

Vesth
2012-08-27, 03:45 AM
Glim

The diminutive gnome sticks out his tongue the moment Darcer turned his back, going so far as to flap his arms like a chicken, as his therapeutic response to Darcer's actions. He sure didn't sign up to be screamed at for the better part of a day, and he'll be damned if he couldn't get some fun while he could.

It's obvious that Glim had mostly gotten over the traumatic events that had happened that led to his exile, though there are still a few skeletons in the closet. The most prominent one being a rather furious human at his heels for accidentally killing his dad.

Jumping up with enthusiasm, he smooths out the wrinkles on his robes, a black, mostly plain fabric that glittered with the pattern of stars, giving off a mysterious aura. Being slightly too big for him, a matching grey robe is tied to his waist, securing robe nicely. His hood is down, receiving a slightly chubby face with green, inquisitive eyes that take in everyone and everything.

Zale
2012-08-27, 01:36 PM
Farai

Tumbling over from her bed roll, Farai reaches blindly for her sword before her mind catches up with her body.

She would have to speak with that vile man. If he startled her like that again, it was likely to end.. poorly for him. Entertaining herself with that though, Farai went through the motions of preparing for the day.

A few moments later, the opening of the patched tent parts as she makes her way towards the firepit, dressed old and slightly beaten leather clothing she used to train in. No matter what Darcer wished, he would not interfere her morning practice session. Not if he desired to keep all of his limbs, anyway.

Choosing a spot near enough to the firepit, but far enough away from these mercenaries was slightly difficult but manageable. Farai didn't even bother glancing at them. Why bother?

Taking a careful seat, she glared into the fire. The sooner this was over, the sooner she could find somewhere peaceful to practice.

Roguenewb
2012-08-27, 01:51 PM
Ezren Cobb

Ezren's eyes pop open, as soon as Dercer starts to shout. Another day, another pile of useless drilling. Are we ever gonna go to the Tomb of Forgotten Emperors? Ezren thinks, as he sits up, gets out of bed, and begins to slide on his trusted armor. Mithral chain goes on easy, and rests lightly on his shoulders, so Ezren chooses to wear it all the time Especially after it saved me from that resetting trap...poor Connel, thinking the place was empty... Ezren thinks as he slides on the blackened mithral bracers that serve as the only 'hard-points' in his armor.

Once dressed, Ezren starts the long process of strapping all his gear on. A dagger here and there, his trusty throwing axe on his chest, a light mace on his right hip, a rapier on his left hip, a small crossbow in the small of his back, a half a dozen alchemical items and small tools placed all over his body, for access in the darkest dungeon. Ezren closes his eyes, and checks each item by feel alone Not gonna let darkness catch me off guard again...damn Liches. After he's sure everything is sheathed properly, he sighes deeply and exists the tent.

"Good morning Dercer, kresh'tar'ni'golan tar'ik dae?" Ezren says, with an affected tone, and a lazy smile on his face.

In draconic, Ezren said "and are you as dim as you were yesterday, oh captain?"

riccaru
2012-08-28, 06:57 AM
Ty, already awake for the day, sits up calmly. It would seem he was used to the early morning hustle and bustle from paladinhood and it showed as he stood, his form energetic and ready for the day.

It's been a while since he joined up with these ragtag mercenaries, and most of them seemed less than perfect. But his duty was not to preach, but to live. Live as a devout man in this time of sorrow and to show others what one could attain with purity and determination. He would make these mercenaries better, by inspiring them.

After a quick bite to eat consisting of a large slice of cheese and a piece of meat, Ty dons his cloak over his well kept clothes and heads to the fire with the others. Dirt clings to his hair, lightening it dramatically in the bright morning light, but his clothes were somehow as dust free as always.

Eldest
2012-08-29, 11:07 AM
The captain wanders by, continuing to shout as he closes in on the fire. It's obvious that you five and a handful of others are the only ones left who pay attention to him anymore; everyone else has rolled over and went to sleep. Alright! I just bought a map to a big tomb full of gold and stuff. The guy who sold it to me told me that people have been trying to go in and get the gold, but since they're all idiots, none of them can. So now we're going to go get it. Uhhh... Yeah. Captain Scripto looks very lost at the end of his small tirade. It's obvious he didn't think all the way through it.

Zale
2012-08-30, 02:50 PM
Farai

Eyes narrowed, Farai responded.

"I do not recall joining a group of tomb raiders, Captain." Her tone left no doubt on her opinion on the suggested venture.

Roguenewb
2012-08-30, 03:07 PM
Ezren Cobb

Excellent! "Excellent! What a chance, some tomb that's well enough defended, no one will have been able to remove artifacts! It'll be a veritable hive of valuable information! Ezren says with excitement.

Vesth
2012-08-30, 05:40 PM
Glim

The gnome literally stared at the captain, and his poor show of leadership.

"And you want us to help you plunder it, Captain?" he asked, deceptively sweetly. He could tell quite a few of the others did not like the human, and he wondered if they could just take the treasure and leave him behind, just to spite him. In fact, he had a spell that he could leave behind as a present...

riccaru
2012-08-30, 07:43 PM
After hearing what the others had to say, Ty's hair stands slightly on edge.

He suppresses a hiss before straightening himself and looking fully into the captain's eyes.

"It would seem the most important question has yet to be asked." He pauses to make sure people are listening before continuing. "To whom does this tomb belong?"

ZeroNumerous
2012-08-31, 03:40 AM
Marlia'zara answers Ty's question. "It belongs to the dead and buried, but unless they want to try and keep it, then they have no say in where their wealth goes."

She then looks toward the Captain. "But even so, I have no interest in crawling through the muck for a few bits of gold. Especially when it's taken from nothing but traps and corpses."

Eldest
2012-09-01, 09:57 AM
Whose tomb is it? A dead guy! Rich, too! And if you all don't want to get your share, you can guard the outside. Happy now? Captain Scripto seems befuddled by having mercenaries that are not motivated by coin, almost as though his world ran on it and he simply could not comprehend any other reason for existence.

Vesth
2012-09-01, 10:06 AM
Glim imperceptibly sides up to Marlia'zara, whispering quietly so that none can hear his words but her, though anyone looking at him could see the mischievousness in his eyes, and probably his voice.

"Let him muck about on his own then...and then we take it from him when he steps out! We'll have to go back in just in case his poor eyes miss most of the treasure...though it'll save us some trouble..."

ZeroNumerous
2012-09-01, 10:41 AM
The elven warrior-woman looks at Glim plainly. She makes no effort to hide what she says. "You're asking the wrong person, gnome. Ask someone less scrupulous than I." As long as Marlia'zara had been in the unit she had never lied, cheated, or stole. Today would be no different.

She turns her attention back to the "Captain". "If the others intend to risk their lives for petty gold, then I'll go to protect them. Otherwise, my stance on this venture is known."

riccaru
2012-09-03, 12:26 PM
Ty relaxes slightly as he notices no one wants to actually defile the tomb. "I'll go, if only to keep your less scrupulous individuals from ruining the sanctity of death." He says to the captain flatly.

Eldest
2012-09-04, 12:01 PM
So... wait. Hm... The captain wanders off with a confused look on his face, headed east out of the camp. The veterans of the company sigh and head after him, grabbing gear, armor, and weapons as they leave.

Roguenewb
2012-09-05, 05:37 PM
"Finally! Let's move!"

ZeroNumerous
2012-09-05, 06:11 PM
The elven warrior-woman slides her sword into the sash of her robe. Marlia'zara then makes sure the entire group is going, and follows after them. She makes no conversation on the trip unless spoken to.

Eldest
2012-09-08, 12:53 PM
After a short walk, you come to a small cave entrance. Nothing stands out to the untrained eye, but there is a cold wind flowing out of the cave.
Shotgun knowledge time! Use a knowledge, I'll tell you if it's applicable or not.

ZeroNumerous
2012-09-08, 03:44 PM
The elven warrior woman has nothing applicable to the situation, unless the cave suddenly draws a sword as part of an iaijutsu slash. She just stands on guard, but quickly grows bored with that. Instead, most of her time is spent wandering around the group in a slow circle.

Vesth
2012-09-15, 09:16 PM
Glim waited impatiently for the others to finish their business. He had no skills to offer either, and when it becomes clear that everyone else is done, he proceeds to push the captain into the cave, as both his meatshield and his 'trapfinder'.

Eldest
2012-09-18, 01:28 PM
Alright, you lot! Scripto gestures vaguely at Glim and the elf. You look awake and sober, you are with me! The rest of you, wait outside and make sure nobody comes in! The Captain starts walking towards the cave, giggling oddly as he goes. It's clear he is nearly maniac with glee at the precieved riches in the tomb. You enter the cave, feeling a small damp against your passage. There are small fungi growing, and the path ahead is blocked by an iron door set into the back of the small cave, ornately forged with runes. There is a large lock set into the center of the door, with what appears to be a matching key hanging on a hook a short distance away.

Vesth
You can read the runes, they're Draconic. It's a warning to any who enter, warning of death to come if you enter mixed with wards against whatever is interred in the tomb leaving.

Vesth
2012-09-19, 04:41 AM
Glim made sure that the captain wasn't looking his way, before scrutinising the runes...or at the very least, make himself look like they're nothing but fancy scribbles.

Knowledge (Arcana): [roll0]

It just so happens that I have both max ranks in Knowledge (Arcana), and I have prepared Detect Magic. But I'll save the casting of that, depending on what my roll shows.

Eldest
2012-09-26, 07:34 PM
They are non-magical.

Vesth
2012-09-27, 04:49 AM
"Hey Scripto! There's a door, and a key! What a difficult puzzle!" Glim teased, satisfied with the runes for the moment. Maybe he could get the captain to activate all the traps?

Eldest
2012-09-27, 10:06 AM
See, this is why I bring you along! You're informative! Scripto's voice seems completely serious, with no trace of sarcasm, so you have to guess he hadn't even noticed the key hanging next to the door. He picks up the key, slides it in the lock, and twists, shoving at the door with a grunt. The door, seemingly subborn, refuses to open. Here, help me with this!

Vesth
2012-09-28, 06:33 AM
"Did you try pulling the door?!" the gnome asked, unable to hide his disbelief and surprise at the stupidy of their captain. This guy was a joke waiting to happen, and though it wouldn't give Glim the satisfaction of a good, difficult prank, such shenangians -the possibilities of it!- were almost too strong to ignore. Sooner or later, he was going to find someway to get a good laugh from the guy's expense.

ZeroNumerous
2012-09-29, 12:44 AM
Marlia'zara frowns at the antics of their idiotic "captain". The group would never get anywhere like this, especially when the only other intelligent member of their detachment spent so much time taunting the man. If pulling doesn't work, then Marlia'zara steps up to the door, motions for the "captain" to step away, then cuts through the lock.

Marlia'zara takes a full round action to line up her attack, which gives her an automatic hit since she's using a melee weapon. She'll use Mountain Hammer, power attack for 5, and attempt to use Iaijutsu Focus for extra damage.

Iaijutsu Focus check: [roll0].

Damage: [roll1](Normal attack + Power Attack x2 due to two-handing) + [roll2](mountain hammer) + [roll3] Anything from 1d6 to 5d6 based on Iaijutsu Focus check. All damage is halved due to attacking an object. Hardness doesn't apply due to Mountain Hammer.

EDIT: 26 is 4d6, so she deals 21+7+6+3+2+5=44/2= 22 damage vs the lock.

Eldest
2012-09-29, 10:19 AM
The blow cleaves through the lock and a good bit of the door, leaving the door slightly ajar and revealing that yes, the door opened by pulling. The captain, unperturbed by the violence against the door, pulls open the door and takes a step inside. You are looking a decent sized staircase, descending into the hill. Small statues of some kind of humanoid are placed in alcoves at regular intervals on both sides of the staircase. You can't see the bottom due to the sunlight not reaching that far.
Did not expect that, but a good idea.
EDIT: Yeah, Spot checks from both of you. Forgot to mention that.

Vesth
2012-09-29, 10:56 AM
Glim lets their 'wonderful' captain step forward, before moving behind him, the intention of using the captain as a defence of flesh and blood obvious to most.

As he eyes the statues, he turns to the captain.

"Hey, maybe those statues have money in their purses!"

Arcana check: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

Dungeon mechanics tell me that those statues might be trouble :smallbiggrin:

ZeroNumerous
2012-09-29, 05:30 PM
Marlia'zara sheathes her sword and follows the "captain" as well. She stays beside Glim unless he runs forward.

"Maybe you should climb up there and try to take it then."

Spot: [roll0].

Eldest
2012-09-29, 10:53 PM
You see nothing special about the statues. Scripto pokes around them, looking for gems or coin no doubt, but finds nothing. He gestures at you two. How about a little light?
Nice spot checks. I brought up the light for a reason. Feel free to Search or move onward or run away dancing.

Vesth
2012-09-29, 11:05 PM
With a flick of his fingers, 4 orbs of light appear, dancing about Scripto and the statues. Curiously, Glim takes a step back, as if preparing himself in case of a trap.

Casting Dancing Lights

ZeroNumerous
2012-09-30, 01:38 AM
Marlia'zara just stands there and waits for the others to finish their tomb-robbing.

"Well I'll be here for when you are unable to figure out the next door."

Don't forget that A) neither of us were the skillmonkey member of the party and B) there's just two people. Since Marlia'zara has no skills applicable to the situation, she'll continue to wait.

Eldest
2012-09-30, 01:31 PM
The luminescent orbs cast the statues in a ghoulish light, revealing they were badly carved by someone who knew nothing about what they were doing. The captain starts to walk forward down the stairs, then turns around and starts to approach you two again. As soon as he puts his foot on a higher step, one of the statues starts to move, shaking off dust and cobwebs to slam a fist into Sripto's side. The statue then steps out of it's alcove onto the main stairs, standing next to the Captain as he doubles over from the blow.
Initiative time! You guys are right behind the captain, so you are both within reach of Scripto and the statue-thing. The stairway's ten feet wide, with alcoves spaced about every ten feet apart. So the four of you are in a square. Once I find a good map thing online I start using that, I swear. In the mean time, just describe what you're doing.

Eldest
2012-10-07, 12:49 PM
Ok, Marlia'zara's first, then Glim, then the NPCs. Also, map!

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbjaoe8xIS1r4dfw1o1_500.png

ZeroNumerous
2012-10-07, 01:52 PM
The elf woman tenses when the statue starts moving. Mentally she was reeling from the surprise, but her body moved without her mind's input. Her sword remains in it's sheathe as she moves around the creature. "Glim! Pincer it between us. I'm relying on you, so don't hesitate!" Once she's skirted around the creature and drawn it's attention the elf woman prepares herself for Glim's intervention.

Marlia'zara moves five feet to the right, ten feet down, then five feet to the left. She provokes several AoOs from the creature. Once she's behind it, then she readies a standard action to use Mountain Hammer on it when Glim moves in to provide her with the flank.

She'll be drawing her sword as part of her attack, and I assume the creature is flat-footed since she won initiative. If not, then ignore this bit.

Iaijutsu Focus: [roll0]
Iaijutsu Damage: Anything from 1d6 to 5d6, so [roll1]. My bad. Her maximum result is only 30, which is only 5d6.
Result: 11: +1d6. Thus 1 potential extra damage.

Swift Action: Shift into Tactics of the Wolf stance.
Move Action: Move around the creature to provoke AoOs from it.
Standard Action: Use Mountain Hammer on the creature.

Attack roll: [roll2]+2 with Glim's flank; -2 due to Power Attack.
Damage roll: [roll3] sword damage +[roll4] Mountain Hammer damage. Mods: +4 due to power attack; +2 due to Tactics of the Wolf.

She deals an additional [1] damage based on Iaijutsu Focus if the creature is flat-footed. Otherwise, ignore the extra Iaijutsu Focus damage.

Vesth
2012-10-08, 04:53 AM
Cursing under his breath, Glim moved it, his attempts at stabbing revealing his rusty talent with a dagger, as it weaves in and out of stabbing range inconsistently and he ducks and swivels.

Move one step down (that's where Zero wants me to move, right?

...wait, why would Zero want me to move anywhere. Captain Scripto can do the Pincering. GLIM'S NOT MEANT FOR MELEE.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Removin his wand from his belt, he aims at the statue, and let loose a blast of colorful light.

Casting Color Spray (DC 18 to save, will save to negate)

2 HD or less

The creature is unconscious, blinded, and stunned for 2d4 rounds, then blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, and then stunned for 1 round. (Only living creatures are knocked unconscious.)

3 or 4 HD

The creature is blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, then stunned for 1 round.

5 or more HD

The creature is stunned for 1 round.

Sightless creatures are not affected by color spray.