PDA

View Full Version : Deck of Many Things and an Efreet with Divine Ranks

Borgk
2012-08-27, 12:10 AM
Our party recently encountered an Efreet prince that has divine ranks. He is currently bound by a dragon, but agreed to grant the party 3 wishes if we free him. His wishes are not limited as the 9th level sorc/wiz spell is and have greater effect. I'd like some opinions about these 3 wishes described here.

Wish 1: Make a deck of many things appear in front of each party member, and return them to their owners once were finished with drawing our cards.

Wish 2: Separate the bad cards to our left and the good ones to our right.

Wish 3: The deck does not reshuffle until we finish drawing our 11 cards.

Do you guys think this might work? Our DM has a high powered Epic campaign prepared but were too low level, this might speed up things a bit.

killianh
2012-08-27, 12:19 AM
with proper wording this would work, but I would probably suggest asking for the epic level version (its a set of dice)

Wish 1: the dice

Wish 2: the ability to always roll the maximum amount with those dice. The max roll is 12 which grants 10,000xp and the ability to roll again (the dice normally don't let you reroll unless specified) repeat rolling until you reach the desired level for your GM to start his epic campaign

Wish 3: the ability to call on him for a divine favour once at a later date.

Arcanist
2012-08-27, 12:32 AM
with proper wording this would work, but I would probably suggest asking for the epic level version (its a set of dice)

Wish 1: the dice

Wish 2: the ability to always roll the maximum amount with those dice. The max roll is 12 which grants 10,000xp and the ability to roll again (the dice normally don't let you reroll unless specified) repeat rolling until you reach the desired level for your GM to start his epic campaign

Wish 3: the ability to call on him for a divine favour once at a later date.

1. Wish for Rogue's Dice (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/artifacts.htm#roguesDice)

2. Wish to always roll the maximum possible result (in this case 12)

3. Wish for a Divine Rank 5

Much more specific and the last one honestly just cuts out the middleman.

EDIT: The dice specifies

There is no method (mundane or magical) to predict or influence the result of a roll of Rogue’s dice.

I'm curious if this includes a Divine method :smallconfused:

Borgk
2012-08-27, 12:34 AM
Thanks, that's good to know. He has other modules/stories prepared that we might like. We want to play these even if their a breeze because of RP value.
I had the idea with the deck because if a net gain for 60.000 xp for everyone.
That brings us up from lvl 11 to around lvl 16-17ish, the other benefits aren't bad either. Btw were playing in the Birthright campaign setting.

Anxe
2012-08-27, 12:35 AM
By RAW, there is no way to influence the Rogue's Dice. SRD says, "There is no method (mundane or magical) to predict or influence the result of a roll of Rogue’s dice. Even powerful divination magic can’t predict the outcome of a roll before it is made." Not even divine magic does the trick.

This restriction does not apply to a Deck of Many Things. Powering up this way would work; however, the SRD says, "Each time a card is taken from the deck, it is replaced (making it possible to draw the same card twice) unless the draw is the jester or the fool, in which case the card is discarded from the pack. A deck of many things contains 22 cards." That suggest to me that once the efreet takes a card from the deck, that card is replaced. All except for the jester and the fool. And because it is replaced randomly, we no longer know which ones are on the top of the "bad deck." We could also argue that the efreet is technically the one drawing the cards, so they take effect upon him instead of the party. That said, RAW and my interpretation of it do not need to guide the way you run your campaign.

So... I don't think the Deck can work that way. It can if you'd like though. But why not just have the efreet use his magic wish powers to increase the power of the party on his own? Why does he need the Deck to do it?

tyckspoon
2012-08-27, 12:36 AM
We can't stop here, this is Homebrew country!

Seriously, you've left RAW far behind and are deep into "ask your DM" territory. If he likes the idea, it works. If he doesn't, it doesn't. That said, I do have one addition if your DM lets it work: Leave the Skull card in the draw pile. You want to draw Moon (get 1d4 Wishes) and Comet (single-handedly defeat the next encounter to gain another level) before drawing Skull. Ideally, your DM allows these super-wishes to control the order you draw the cards, and Skull is the very last thing you draw. It should be trivial to take out a Dread Wraith solo with the benefits of all the other positive cards- if a major magic weapon (Key) and 60k extra xp (Sun+Jester) don't do it, you can use one of the Wishes. Otherwise, well, you still shouldn't have all that rough a time beating up a CR 11 creature.

killianh
2012-08-27, 12:41 AM
By RAW, there is no way to influence the Rogue's Dice. SRD says, "There is no method (mundane or magical) to predict or influence the result of a roll of Rogue’s dice. Even powerful divination magic can’t predict the outcome of a roll before it is made." Not even divine magic does the trick

divine magic no, but the influence of a god ought to work. Really as soon as the powers of deities come into active play RAW gets tossed and it becomes a matter of if the DM will allow it. In this case I think he would since he wants to do the epic run.

On that note though a God could just grant xp or template the hell out of your party

Borgk
2012-08-27, 12:43 AM
The problem with the dread wraiths is, that two of our party members are not that good combat vise against undead. But the idea is good. Or one of the party members sacrifices on of their wishes to summon 5 goblins that each attack a party member.

Anxe
2012-08-27, 12:43 AM
divine magic no, but the influence of a god ought to work. Really as soon as the powers of deities come into active play RAW gets tossed and it becomes a matter of if the DM will allow it. In this case I think he would since he wants to do the epic run.

On that note though a God could just grant xp or template the hell out of your party

Yeah. RAW kinda gets tossed out the window for artifacts as well.

Borgk
2012-08-27, 12:58 AM
On a side note. Anyone ever had the idea, that if you take the Archmage PRC, select wish as (SP) 2/day and then use the Feat Supernatural Transformation, that you will be summoned to all kinds of backwater places all the time to grant wishes?

Arcanist
2012-08-27, 01:00 AM
Yeah. RAW kinda gets tossed out the window for artifacts as well.

I concur... How the hell do you price out a Quasi-Magical item (produced by a Mythallar)? Personally, I just divide the entire price by 4 since it can only work near that specific Mythallar and make it so no XP is required for them, but this opens up soooooo much room for exploit... :smallfrown:

God forbid your DM allows you to read all 6 Nether Scrolls... After that I welcome you to the wonderful world of MAKING ARTIFACTS.

Hyde
2012-08-27, 03:56 AM
Some of the expanded rules (and lore) for the DoMT has some anti-tampering clauses- and though the original item lacks the same protections, it's probably better not to try and wish-screw the Genie. Just looking at it, there are about sixteen or so different ways that series of wishes can egregiously backfire.

I'm pretty sure it's an unwritten rule that even if characters manage to squeeze in extra wishes, an ultra being shows up to squish them, and it's character re-roll time.

killianh
2012-08-27, 04:08 AM
Some of the expanded rules (and lore) for the DoMT has some anti-tampering clauses- and though the original item lacks the same protections, it's probably better not to try and wish-screw the Genie. Just looking at it, there are about sixteen or so different ways that series of wishes can egregiously backfire.

I'm pretty sure it's an unwritten rule that even if characters manage to squeeze in extra wishes, an ultra being shows up to squish them, and it's character re-roll time.

I always thought the unwritten rule was that unless you had a doctorate in Law the universe found a way for your wish to be misinterpreted

Borgk
2012-08-27, 10:01 AM
The wishes from the Deck of Many Things, are normal wishes, like the 9th lvl spell. They do NOT come from the Efreet, they are given by the deck.

Gandariel
2012-08-27, 12:21 PM
Why do you need to use that? Just ask for:
1) each of us gets 50000 xp
2) each of us gets one template of choice
3) each of us gets one item of choice