PDA

View Full Version : 40k RT (DH) A Tech Priest character

Incorrect
2012-08-27, 02:56 AM
Help me come up with a cool tech priest character.

My group and I are playing DH, and will soon change our characters to RT, and at that time I would like to switch from my guardsman to a tech priest. I just love the feel about them and their take on technology.
Problem is that my GM has apparently had some pretty bad tech priests before. He has the impression that they can not work in a group of players, that they will forget the objective if they see a damaged machine and go fix it, and that they cant really have a personality.

Of cause I can see that some might play a tech priest like that, but I would love to be able to give him a character description that will change his mind and make him see how awesome team players they can be.

I am having a hard time coming up with an original and cool idea for his/her personality and background, that still fits within the fluff.
So, tell me your idea for a tech priest character focused on teamwork and solving problems?

The group is very damage focused, so I'm trying to make this character focus on skills and something other than direct damage in combat.

The Glyphstone
2012-08-27, 08:27 AM
Everyone is a part of the Ommnisciah's greater holy Machine. Every part needs to do what it's meant to do, when it's meant to do it, or else everything falls to pieces or at the very least stops working. Some parts (I.e., you) are more crucial than others, but all those parts need to work together, doing their specific jobs within the greater machine, or the job will not get done.

Beelzebub1111
2012-08-27, 07:44 PM
If a tech priest is trying to fix everything, or has no personality. Then they got that implant that removes the creative part of their brain. Techpriets can love, hate, be passionate, and be awesome.

If you want to change his mind on this show him Verloren Hoop (http://mr-culexus.deviantart.com/gallery/12423238) for an example of a "spirited" pair of techpriests.

ONE! TWO! THREE! FOUR! OMNISSIAH BLESS THIS DOOR!

king.com
2012-08-28, 06:49 AM
Help me come up with a cool tech priest character.

My group and I are playing DH, and will soon change our characters to RT, and at that time I would like to switch from my guardsman to a tech priest. I just love the feel about them and their take on technology.
Problem is that my GM has apparently had some pretty bad tech priests before. He has the impression that they can not work in a group of players, that they will forget the objective if they see a damaged machine and go fix it, and that they cant really have a personality.

Of cause I can see that some might play a tech priest like that, but I would love to be able to give him a character description that will change his mind and make him see how awesome team players they can be.

I am having a hard time coming up with an original and cool idea for his/her personality and background, that still fits within the fluff.
So, tell me your idea for a tech priest character focused on teamwork and solving problems?

The group is very damage focused, so I'm trying to make this character focus on skills and something other than direct damage in combat.

You want a very easy techpriest? Play 40K Spock. Your the character driven to logic, the source of all the power of the Machine God. To harness that power you need to exert logic. Develop plans, solve problems. Those others who are not enlightened like you need your help to survive and prosper. Randomly running to a machine and fixing it is not logical. If it doesnt achieve the aims of you and your group whats the point? You are given orders from a being judged be worthy of commanding you and as a result you follow their orders and fulfill your small role within the great machine that is the Imperium of Man.

You a cog. A very important cog but ultimately a small part of something much larger. To fulfill your function and success of your group you are the one truly bringing logic to the table. You have others to fight, work that could be done with a servitor but a servitor cannot think. You are arguably cold and unfeeling but it makes you a far more useful agent of the Inquisition that you are driven to see the mission to success.

Incorrect
2012-08-29, 12:59 AM
First, a big thanks for your replys. Its some really great themes and ideas.

I think I'll start by making a female tech priest, just to get out of the norm.
Knowing my group, I will most likely become the leader, or at least have a big say in what we do. That might be a good reason for not deleting all of my emotions; the great machine will run better if I can relate to the "meat parts".
(at least postpone it until the group has gotten used to her)

It could be fun to keep a hidden list of priorities, and using it as a tool for plans and decisions. Such as (crude mock up):

1 Obey Omnissiah
2 Obey The Emperor
3 Mission objective
4 Ensure PC X survives
5 Mission second objective
6 Ensure other PCs survive

MickJay
2012-08-29, 04:53 AM
You can also try playing a non-typical sort of a techpriest, like a Magus Biologis (example of which is in one of the splats for RT). You're still obsessed with tinkering, but you're doing it on live organisms.

Incorrect
2012-08-29, 10:23 AM
Thats interesting. It certainly is a quite different take on the classic tech priest.

Are there any other types of tech priests out there?

WitchSlayer
2012-08-29, 02:01 PM
Thats interesting. It certainly is a quite different take on the classic tech priest.

Are there any other types of tech priests out there?

The Lathe World book is out which provides a lot of alternate path stuff for Tech Priests, although it's not an RT book.

Silverbit
2012-08-30, 04:04 AM
You could try a Techpriest who was seconded to a Guard unit (or something) and grew attached to these "useful tools" (aka normals). Then you have a motivation too. Forgive me if this wouldn't work somehow, as I've not read up on WH40K for quite some time. I also intend to GM a Rogue Trader game soon, so good luck playing in one.