PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Knights of the Kragh

Leolo
2012-08-27, 03:53 AM
It's been a dark night, rainy and cold with no moon or lightning to shine your way. Two days before a small boat had brought you south along the great river dathys, but the fisherman did not dare to travel you farther into the southern hills. He was expensive enough until this time.

The prince has become ill, a fever that burns in his head, that no prayer was able to heal until now. He needs rest, and even you have to admit that your hasty movement out of Calronia and it's great city Syan has taken its price. When Narys, the warden of the west started his rebellion you had thought of a great battle, honor and fame. But instead a group of assassins had infiltrated the camp, killed King Robert and wounded his only son Gyrard, the golden prince.

It was your fast reaction that saved the life of the prince, but when the Camp burned, the foe rides into it without any warning you realized that some of the troups must have betrayed you in the night before. That was the moment when you decided to flee, to save the prince and his claim over Calronia.

You barely survived it. St. Gerud the dwarven priest needed most of his healing to keep Gyrard alive and to remove the poison from his wounds that the assassins blade has infused into his blood. Another dwarf is with you, kurgan the groundkeeper.

The king has always been good and respectfull to the clans of the dwarves, and so been his son who even learned some words of the dwarven tongue. Gyrard is 13 years old, not yet a man, but bold and graceful with the talent to inspire people and make them believe in him. One day he might be a noble man, and a king if you could ever return to his throne in Syan. But for now in this night you need some place to hide, to find your strength again.

Laif, the halfdrow scouts your path with his keen eyes, along the river to foreign lands. It is about midnight when you find the ruins of a castle, broken and sacked hundreds of years ago. The fires of a small village are burning down there at the river and maybe you could use the high place to see those that hunt you...if you are not forgotten like this castle.

Mike_the_Mystic
2012-08-27, 05:23 AM
"This should keep us safe 'til dawn at least" Kurgan says in hushed tones to the rest of the loyalists, before turning to Lief "Thank ya fer finding this place fer the Prince, son."

If there's enough room in the castle, and if it would be safe to do so, Kurgan will set up his Instant Campsite for the rest of the party.

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-08-27, 06:52 PM
The Cleric tends to Gyrard, who is still weak from the assassination attempt. Gerud tugs on his beautifully braided blonde beard, hairs uncharacteristicly out of place. He ensures Gyrard has proper bandages for his wounds and is in a comfortable position on the broken-down cart Gerud managed to purchase from the fisherman. Gyrard had been through much for a thirteen year old child. The St. took up Gyrard's well-being as his personal duty since the loyalists left Syan.
"Aye, 'is looks ta' be as good a spot as any. Better dan ta' open forest. Tha' prince needs a roof over 'is head."
Gerud preps the boy for movement as the party stops to asess their surroundings.
"Be everythin' okay in thar? What can yer drow eyes see, Mr. Leif? Castle's abandoned, roight?".

LTSearchEngine
2012-08-28, 09:36 AM
A man, clad in simple, loose cloth vestments, crests the hill. He is holding aloft a torch, guttering and spitting in the light rain, and squinting forward into the gloom. He spots the small group surveying the shadowy ruin, and approaches, raising his hand in greeting.

He stops thirty or so feet away, and says, "The new king, as divined, in the protective hands of friends. Truly, the gods are great and powerful! I am Alir, and I have been sent, by Pelor and Sehanine, to defend and restore the rightful dynasty. Will you accept my aid?"

Are we using the greyhawk or forgotten realms pantheon? The gods would be Pelor and Sehanine for Greyhawk, or Amaunator and Selune for FR.

TimelordSimone
2012-08-29, 04:21 PM
Leif bristles slightly at Gerud's 'drow eyes' comment, and pulls his cloak slightly tighter around his shoulders, but says nothing. "I'll go have a look." he states simply, before leaving to make a quick scout round the ruins.

Perception: [roll0]

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-08-29, 05:11 PM
Gerud leans closer to Kurgan as the group considers the human's words, making sure his ally's weapons are down.

Kurgan
"Ta' bloodeh 'ell be this? He may be dangerous, but unless tha rebels been trackin' us, an' ah think Mr. Leif er' I would 'ave noticed a scout, thar's no way 'e coulda' known we 'ave Gyrard. I'll see if ah can get an idear o' what dis human's on about. "

Gerud slowly backs away from the cart, putting his hands together, advancing only inches at a time toward the human. Still in his chainmail, he tries to make himself appear as non-hostile as possible. Still full of surprise, the Cleric manages to stutter out a greeting, hardly audible above the rain and distance:
"G-Greetins, Alir of Pelor an' Sehanine, ah be St. Gerud Gjestigarr, Cleric o' Kord. Ah be curious ta' know 'ow ye know o' our...situation. Forgive me for suspicion, if you truly are a servant o' ta' gods."
Insight: [roll0]

Mike_the_Mystic
2012-08-29, 09:31 PM
Whispering back:
"It be in our best interests and tha interests o' the Prince that we keep calm, and make sure this cleric isn't a rebel. But I don't think they would have followed us through that storm."

"We don' mean ta be rude ta ya lad, we've just made a daring escape from peril, and we're makin' sure that ya ain't a spy or whatnot. I'm Kurgan of the Stonehammer clan, son of Kurgan, grandson of Kurgan, etc., etc." He says with a low bow.

LTSearchEngine
2012-08-30, 02:15 AM
Alir returns the bow with graceful precision.

"No offense is taken, you do yourselves honor in your caution. I do, however, hope that you can perceive my sincerity in my desire to aid the new king.

"I understand your questions, for my appearance here offering aid may seem all too convenient. All I can off is this explanation: The elders of the Eternal Cycle, my order, divined the King's death too late to intervene. However, they also foresaw the prince's peril, and were able to guide me here to meet him, to aid you in preserving his life and restoring his throne."

I don't thin a diplomacy roll is appropriate or necessary here, but if so: [roll0]

Leolo
2012-08-30, 05:11 AM
While the rest of the group discusses the unexpected ally Leif scouts to the ruins of the castle and inspects them. The outer wall, once strong and high, is broken about 80 feet left to the rotten bridge and the tower over the main entrance.

The castle has been taken by force as you can see, and the inner buildings have burned until their roof collapsed. Leif also detects the remains of a camp, but it is abandoned like the whole castle. Nevertheless it seems to be visited from time to time, because the fireplace has been used some weeks before. The greatest structure of the castle is the central tower, about a a hundred feet high from ground to top and surprisingly unclaimed by the time.

Maybe you can find a save place to rest there.

TimelordSimone
2012-08-30, 08:00 PM
"It seems clear," Leif explains as he returns, "but uh, not entirely disused..." He's surprised as he notices Alir's presence, and watches him carefully, pulling his scarf up over his face. "I think... we should rest in the, uh, tower."

LTSearchEngine
2012-08-31, 12:29 AM
Noting the unusual new member of the group, Alir bows again and says,
"Greetings, I am Alir, sent by Pelor and Sehanine to help preserve the new King."

Alir nods to indicate the wounded prince.

"Perhaps we should take refuge in the ruin, as you say it is clear, and continue our conversation away from any prying eyes."

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-08-31, 04:27 PM
Gerud nods towards Kurgan, and takes a quick bow towards Alir.
"Aye, that'd be best. Do not be offended if we still seem off put. Things loike this dun usually 'appen, if ye know what ah mean. Too tha castle ah guess, see if Kurgan can fix us up a campin soite in thar."
Gerud turns towards Leif as he hoists the prince's wagon.
"Thank ye Mr. Leif, if ye would show us to tha seemingly safest area, 'at'd be splendid."
The Cleric meanders towards the general area of the castle, whistling a quiet tune, only to be lost in the rain.

Mike_the_Mystic
2012-09-01, 04:57 PM
"Aye, we should take refuge in this castle. Hopefully, no goblins or kobolds or other little nasties are scurrying around."

TimelordSimone
2012-09-02, 08:29 PM
Leif nods in response to Alir's greeting and states simply "Leif" before turning and striding towards the tower without another word.

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-09-03, 01:07 PM
As Leif leads towards the castle, Gerud turns to Alir, not stopping his bouncing pace.
"Ye'll 'ave ta' 'scuse Mr.Leif, 'e's one o' them broody toipes, if ye get me meanin."

LTSearchEngine
2012-09-03, 01:19 PM
Alir nods, unoffended, and follows with an air of affability.

Leolo
2012-09-03, 04:24 PM
A wooden door blocks your path into the central tower of the castle, but the lock seems to be broken with an axe or some similar weapon. The inner area still looks less rotten than the rest of the castle. At the lowest level there is a guardsroom and the stairs up to the armory. The third level seems to be a maproom, and you find many old books, bound into leather. The tower must go higher, but the next level is blocked by a locked door with the bronze symbol of a deer. You do not see any keyhole to unlock the door and it seems stable enough to endure at least a good level of force before it would open.

In the guardsroom you find a bed for Gyrard, and there is a small but deep well that ensures the water supply of the men. The prince has been wounded between his shoulder and his neck, and two hands wide arround the wound his skin has become pale and small black lines spread from the cut deeper into his flesh.

LTSearchEngine
2012-09-04, 09:34 AM
Alir indicates the mysterious door.
"I will inspect this door to see if there is anything mechanically hidden about it. Let me know if you need my assistance otherwise. "

Out til Friday now.
Perception:[roll0]
Thievery:[roll1]
If I have an hour or so, I will take 20-
Perception:32
Thievery:35

Mike_the_Mystic
2012-09-04, 03:13 PM
"What can ya do fer the prince?" Kurgan asks as he lays down his Liege on the bed.

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-09-04, 04:30 PM
"'ere, let meh take ah look at 'im. Mehbeh ah can see what is afflictin' 'im. If ta' wound be na as bad as it looks, ah may be able too heal 'im."
Perception to inspect the wound more closely- [roll0]
Heal to identify, and if identified, treat the afflicted area- [roll1]
If I misused the heal roll forgive me.

Gerud begins to inspect the wound more closely, trying to determine the cause of the black lines. He pulls out a fresh strip of linen and a flask of water and begins to go to work healing the prince.
"Can ye 'ear me Gyrard? Say somfin' lad, what's ta' wound feel loike? 's'ok boy, y'er with friends now."

Leolo
2012-09-04, 05:45 PM
"Is this you Saint gerud? Have we left the river? I remember the boat."

Gyrard looks bad, and he needs some moments to find out where he is.

"My wound is not that deep. I should be on my feet with a sword in my hand when they come back."

The boy is brave, but in fact you do not believe that he would be able to stand even with all his willpower and strength. The wound looks like it has been poisoned, maybe with some poison that will slowly kill the prince.

"That stupid dagger...i have not seen it coming. Have i killed him? It is my first. Father will be proud." Gyrard switches between moments when he is awake and those where he falls asleep, and the fever still burns within him.

Leolo
2012-09-04, 05:50 PM
Meanwhile Alir checks the door, but there is no lock to be unlocked, no trap to be found, and no mechanic on it that he is able to move. It seems as if it should either be opened by other means or it is sealed magically. Maybe the former inhabitants of the tower wanted to seal this area before they have left the castle, or there is some trick to open the door.

Mike_the_Mystic
2012-09-04, 07:00 PM
"We need ta find some way ta slow this poison down, or stop it altogether. An antidote of some sort."

Kurgin pulls out his Map of Unseen Lands, and activates it, hoping to find a nearby town of some sort.

Leolo
2012-09-04, 08:49 PM
The map draws itself, starting at the place where you are right now, a castle that is commonly known as the haunted Kragh according to the map. There is a village called Werhold right on the feet of the hill the Kragh is build on, where the river dathys makes a wide curve. You see a bridge with a tower (Knightsleap) about 6 miles farther south, and another village called Darekton at the edge of the map southwest of here. The larger settlements in this area are clearly bound to the flow of the river, from the northern lands to southwest.

Mike_the_Mystic
2012-09-05, 12:18 AM
"Tomorrow, we're goin' down ta this Werhold place at tha bottom of tha castle, and find and herbalist or apoth...apotha...Healer confound it!" He says in a bit of frustration "I pray that tha Spirits be with tha lad, Moradin too..."

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-09-05, 05:24 PM
"Aye, Kurgan, ah think ye be roight. Without ta' proper 'erbs 'n' such ah cannot slow ta' poison. It be too deep ta' suck out. Unless ta' area around us 'as some 'erbs, dobtful, 'at village be our best bet."
Gerud leans closer to the sickly prince.
"Oi lad, it'll be foine. We'll getcha a' antidote an' 'ave ye fixed up in no toime. Just foight ta' poison."
Gerud wets his cloth and begins to clean the wound, refreshing his supply of cold water with the well. Making sure that Gyrard is comfortable enough with a clean, bandaged wound and a cold rag to keep the fever down, he stretches tall.
"Oi, ah think ah'll see if ta' loibrary er maproom 'as anehthin 'at we could use. Books o' plants er' somfin. If some'un'd keep ta' boy within earshot while ahm gone, ahd appreciate it."
After Gerud's thickly-accented statement, he checks the prince one last time and begins to llumber towards the stairs.
"G'noight sweet prince" Gerud mumbles as he glances towards the young boy sympathetically.

TimelordSimone
2012-09-06, 08:30 PM
Leif takes off his gloves as he walks over to the sealed door, and runs his fingers along the bronze deer emblem.
Dissatisfied, but unsure what to do, he moves to Gyrard's bedside. Removing his hood and scarf, he sits on the floor and hums a tune he learnt from his mother to the resting prince.

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-09-06, 09:00 PM
Leif's newfound humming grows fainter as Gerud climbs the stairs top the library. As he walks in, he coughs as dust rushes into his lungs. He coughs so violently, he does not notice the spiderweb he walks into as well. Now startled and pestered by the web, Gerud stumbles over a small table and into a bookshelf nearby.
Gerud rises and looks at the books he knocked off.
"Let's 'ave a look 'ere..."

Perception (to find anything useful)- [roll0]

LTSearchEngine
2012-09-07, 11:03 AM
Arcana check - magically locked? [roll0]

Alir steps back from the door to the group. "I cannot find any way to activate or unlock the door. Either the mechanism is entirely embedded and activated elsewhere, or there is a magical seal upon the door. I am not particularly attuned to such things."

Indicating the prince:
"The wound looks bad, though I am also not well versed in those matters. Do we have the time to wait until the morning before heading down to the village?

"Also... do we know whether the villagers will tend to be friendly to our cause? I advise the utmost discretion. Can we disguise His Grace sufficiently?"

Mike_the_Mystic
2012-09-07, 09:00 PM
"Perhaps the eyes of an old Dwarf can help ya lads with this table" Kurgan says, a bit tired form the days events.
[roll0]

Leolo
2012-09-08, 06:40 PM
Alir seems to be right - whatever closes or opens the door is not directly to see at it.

There is indeed magic on it though, but it seems to be more a spell to ward the door. If you look arround you notice the same spell on the entire tower and its walls. Maybe this is the reason why the tower is unchanged by all the time.

The table provides more helpful information. In fact more information that you might be able to read within this night. The tomes have been protected by the magic of the tower as well, and show you maps from a greater area than those of Kurgin. Some of the lands near the Kragh are already known to you, if only from merchant tales. South of here, behind Darekton is the land of Nym with the Ring City arround Stonehold. Some say the world does end there, but the maps just show a huge rift south of the town, and a waterfall that leads the great river to the flat lands and farther to the sea.

In the west of the Kragh there lies the dragonwood and greenscale mountain where the dread of the forest lives, and the elven homeland is. A trading road crosses the southern parts of the forrest and many small villages have been founded along it. You know that the road must lead to the western clifflands, to Narrhall and Thymerii the great western cities, but they are to far away to be found on this maps.

In the east there are the wild hills, a land occupied by giants and orcs and other sinister creatures.

But the biggest surprise is what is shown on the north. You knew that Calronia was once larger than before, but this place was actually once part of it, hundred of years ago when the realm reached through the riverlands down to Darekton.

There are other books, too. Trade books, books about the history of the castle and it's former owners and many more you dare not waste your time with now.

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-09-11, 07:09 PM
Gerud shouts down the many flights of stairs, breaking the stillness of his work.
"Oi! Fellers! Thar's lots o' maps up 'ere! Ahll bring ah few down ta' plan what too do!"
Gerud gathers as many maps as he can, also pocketing a few of the other books that lie in his area.
Waddling back to Gyrard, arms full of maps, Gerud plonks down rather quietly in the presence of his Prince.
"Ah think we should plan our trip and get some rest. The prince dun't seem well, but 'e dun't look bout too doy neither. We'll wake earleh tomarrah an' make for Wher'old ta' foind Mr. Gyrard a cure fer ta' poison."

Mike_the_Mystic
2012-09-15, 11:15 AM
"Good job!" Kurgan says with a sleepy grin "The rest o' our party should get some sleep, I'll keep watch fer a few hours, then somebody can switch off with me."

LTSearchEngine
2012-09-15, 12:51 PM
"Alright, wake me when you need me."

Alir walks to the edge of the room and lays down against the wall to sleep.

Leolo
2012-09-16, 03:58 AM
The day was hard and not very promising for your future. You feel exhausted and tired, falling into sleep fast. Kurgan takes place for his watch at one of the tower windows in the first floor where he can watch over the empty castle.

But the Kragh is not as abandoned and silent as you have hoped. Kurgan hears the fighting of big cats, somewhere in the castle a loud and angry hiss. Or was it something different than a cat?

There are other sounds, too - quitly and distant from the tower, like a whispering in the wind. After this a wooden door to one of the rotten buildings is opening and closing when the wind blows against it. Just as Kurgan wakes Alir for his watch a green light appears on one of the castle walls, moving slowly over them before it disappears again.

Mike_the_Mystic
2012-09-16, 10:05 PM
"Alir" Kurgan hisses "Alir rise! There seems ta be more here than just us laddie"

LTSearchEngine
2012-09-17, 12:17 AM
Alir keeps his eyes closed for the duration of the dwarf's exclamation, use the moment to contemplate an alertness technique. As soon as the dwarf stops speaking, Alir springs to his feet like water flowing and straining to see exactly what caught Kurgan's eye.

"I am awake," he murmurs softly. "What of the others?"

perception using all senses for immediate danger:[roll0]

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-09-17, 11:42 AM
Gerud murmurs something of pancakes in his sleep, draped head to toe in scrolls and tomes. Completely unaware of the current situation, he rolls over, licking a scroll every now and again.

LTSearchEngine
2012-09-17, 11:46 AM
Eyeing the sleeping dwarf momentarily, Alir returns his gaze to the area that had caught Kurgan's attention. He whispers, "Should we wake the others? I cannot see anything."

Mike_the_Mystic
2012-09-18, 04:02 PM
"Not yet lad, Only if we're in trouble...But I'd keep an eye out if I were ya"

LTSearchEngine
2012-09-18, 07:15 PM
Alir smiles into the gloom, and whispers:

"I will, Kurgan... but my eyes are somewhat less than yours in this light."

Mike_the_Mystic
2012-09-21, 09:13 AM
"Ah that be true, here" he says as he rummages through his backpack until he finds his Sun Globe "This will help ye ta not be so blind in the dark". He hands it to Alir. "Say 'Dawn' ta make it light up, and 'Dusk' ta have it darken".

LTSearchEngine
2012-09-24, 08:17 AM
Alir nods respectfully to Kurgan as he takes the globe. He quickly undoes his shoulder wrap, and deftly winds the cloth around himself and the globe in such a way that the wrap creates a pouch holding the globe, with the front exposed, over his left shoulder.

I'll keep it dark for now... let's wait and see what happens.

Are we dead in the water here?

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-09-25, 06:30 PM
Gerud flops loudly over on his back, his large nose doing no good to stem his snoring.
"Barglpan-cakesahza" He mutters, just below a talking tone.
I'm still with it

Mike_the_Mystic
2012-09-28, 04:07 PM
I'm still here, just waitin'

LTSearchEngine
2012-09-28, 04:24 PM
I am also just waiting.

Leolo
2012-09-29, 05:00 AM
If you just sit there and wait nothing seems to happen.

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-09-29, 05:48 PM
Gerud flinches at his dream, kicking Alir's boot.

Mike_the_Mystic
2012-09-29, 07:46 PM
"Well, be on tha lookout fer a green light when yer on duty, as well as a bit of noise that sounds like angry cats or somsuch thing. In any case, I need ta sleep as well, can't really do much half-asleep." Kurgan says with a yawn, then looks at his fellow dwarf with an amused smirk "And don't let that one beat ya senseless."

LTSearchEngine
2012-09-30, 12:32 AM
"Well, Kurgan, maybe we should go out and investigate. I don't think I could be very content just waiting for whatever that was."

Alir frowns into the darkness, and then whispers, "Dawn," to light the globe.

Mike_the_Mystic
2012-09-30, 10:56 AM
After a long look at his bedroll, he turned to Alir and reluctantly nodded. "Alright lad, yer right. Better to get this thing over with than have it kill us in our sleep I guess."

He picks up his Warhammer and pack, and gets ready to adventure.

LTSearchEngine
2012-09-30, 09:15 PM
Alir quietly walks over to Gerud, and touches his shoulder.

"Gerud, something is amiss. Wake, and help us."

"Leif," he says, raising his voice somewhat, "you too."

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-10-01, 11:41 AM
Gerud's head shoots up, flinging drool across a map, his eyes still wild from his dream. He shakes his head, coming to his senses, noticing the urgency of the situation.
"Bwa-" He cuts his throat yelp short, lowering his voice "-aa. What-" wiping his mouth free of spittle "-what be tha problem? We bein' attacked? Who's outsoide?"
Gerud whips his head around, trying to catch a glipse of the unknown entity, only to come face to face with Alir's light. Startled, he brings his hands infront of his face.
"An' why in Kord's name be 'at loight so broight?"
Gerud stands, wiping his face with a rag, and brushes off the scrolls.

LTSearchEngine
2012-10-02, 08:49 AM
"Sorry Gerud," Alir says, walking over to Leif. "The light is necessary because my eyes do not compare to yours in this darkness.

Alir shakes Leif gently by the shoulder, frowning at his apparent lack of response.

"I always thought elves were light sleepers. Odd."

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-10-06, 12:19 PM
Gerud makes his way to his feet.
"Oi, forget ta' lad fer now, 'es spent ta' whole day runnin oround scoutin. What be ta' trouble?"

Mike_the_Mystic
2012-10-09, 09:25 AM
"Alrigh' then, so Green lights, cats fightin' and the wind movin' through the castle. Where do we go lads?" Kurgan asks. His brow is furrowed, trying to make any sense of this.

LTSearchEngine
2012-10-09, 10:08 AM
Alir mirrors Kurgan's frown and then starts down the passageway most directly toward where the green light had appeared. He leaves Leif to wake at his own pace.

"I suppose, we should go to investigate. Let's see what we find down this way."

Leolo
2012-10-09, 03:49 PM
When you leave the tower the moon has found a spot between the clouds and the inner castle can be seen in dim Silverlight.

You do no longer hear the cats fighting, and for a moment the Kragh seems to be silent. The green light has been seen on the wall, so you might have to find a way up to it. Just as you search for a path you notice an open door at the second level of one of the smaller towers guarding the main entrance. It swings open and close, as if the wind is playing with it, but never closes full, regardless how strong the wind is pushing it.

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-10-10, 04:28 PM
"Oi fellers! Over 'ere! At ta' door! Lemme just write Leif a note in case 'e wakes up."
Gerud begins to scribble a note explaining where the party had gone, and puts it in Leifs hand.
"Lets see to that loight, shall we?"

LTSearchEngine
2012-10-10, 10:25 PM
Alir nods. "I'm with you."

He slowly takes up a position flanking Gerud, and moves with him, intent on the door.

Perception (visual and listening): [roll0]

Mike_the_Mystic
2012-10-10, 11:09 PM
"Alrigh' lads, that seems ta be the way that tha ancestors are givin' us, let's head on over there and investigate."

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-10-11, 03:00 PM
Woops double post. Ignore.

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-10-11, 03:01 PM
Gerud turns around, now aware that he is taking the lead towards the unknown object. His brow furls. Cautiously, Gerud makes his way towards the door.
"Let's see ifin we can spot anythin'" Gerud whispers as he leads his two allies towards the door.

Leolo
2012-10-12, 02:18 AM
You cross the yard over to the tower at the main entrance and the wooden door used by guards of the castle long time ago. No sounds come from the inside, just the sad mewl of cats far away from hear can be heard. When you open the door darkness awaits you, and a small stairway up to the wall.

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-10-13, 12:48 PM
"Ohkeh, ah guess ahll go first, Alir, keep 'at light stifled a bit so whatever's up thar dun start runnin." Gerud whispers. "An remember, no violence unless it's tryin ta' kill us!"
Gerud begins walking up the stairs, motioning for the others to follow.

Mike_the_Mystic
2012-10-13, 05:23 PM
"Don't go in without me Gerud, I would be besides meself if somethin' happened to ya and I was tha only dwarf here!" He says with urgency, quickly turning to the others and saying "No offense of course" before following Gerud.

Leolo
2012-10-17, 04:21 PM
The tower at the gate is long abandoned, and you find out that bats and rats inhabit it now when you bring in the dimmed light source. But non of the small animals attacks you, and is able to scare you away.

The door to the battlements is different. When you reach the last stairs you hear a whispering voice in the stone arround you, and feel the cold of the night as if you just have left a warm room. Something is lying at the ground, blocking the door that is moved by the wind but never closes.

An arm, short and hairy and rotten. Rats have eaten parts of it, and still it has flesh left on the bones.

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-10-17, 05:56 PM
Gerud's eyes widen as he carefully steps back, looking very sick. He moves a finger to his lips, signaling silence. He motions for the otheres to view the arm, allowing them a quick look. Gerud motions towards Alir's light, making sure it is completely off. He then begins to sign out his words to Kurgan, uncertain as to whether or not Alir can see in such a darkness.
*Drawn out questioning shrug*
*Pointing to each of the party*
*Walking his two fingers ginger accross his palm*
*Points to his eyes, then the doorway*
Gerud beams at Kurgan, making sure he understands.
*Points to self*
*Drawn out questioning shrug*

Mike_the_Mystic
2012-10-20, 07:09 PM
Kurgan attempts to make sense of the makeshift sign language.
[roll0]

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-10-21, 06:26 PM
Not sure quite if I'm supposed to answer that, I've never come across something like this, but here:
Kurgans Deciphering:
Who will sneak a look in through the doorway, me?

LTSearchEngine
2012-10-21, 11:58 PM
Alir, having put out the light, struggles to see anything in the darkness. Therefore, he waits patiently... but ready to relight the orb and leap into action.

Mike_the_Mystic
2012-10-23, 03:26 PM
Kurgan nods, then attempts to make the gestures for "I'll come in after you".
Yeah this is a bit unorthodox, but I like it!

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-10-23, 04:24 PM
Gerud takes a deep breath, makes one last look at his comrades, and slowly moves toward the doorway. He is cautious, gingerly making his way to see inside the door.
[roll0] Stealth Check
He seizes his mouth as he steps over the arm, careful not to let out a grunt if disgust.

Leolo
2012-10-25, 01:51 AM
Gerud is not really stealthy, but no one reacts on him. The arm seems to have been ripped out of a body here, you can see the blood on the stony ground. Something has pulled the body away, over the wall out of the castle.

Mike_the_Mystic
2012-10-25, 02:49 PM
"I guess we should just go in then" Kurgan says after several moments of silence "No need fer stealth or Anythin'."

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-10-25, 04:30 PM
Gerud lowers his head at his poor display of sneaking.
He mumbles under his breath "The Drow's job anyway"
Gerud begins to search for clues as to what has happened.
[roll0] Perception. Literal facepalm on the last roll.

Mike_the_Mystic
2012-10-25, 06:25 PM
Kurgan lets loose a hearty chuckle and pats Gerud on the back. "Don't be too hard on yerself Gerud, we're not made fer sneakin', we're made fer fightin', There be no need fer us to hide!"

LTSearchEngine
2012-10-26, 09:59 AM
Alir, wincing at the clatter and feeling very handicapped, puts his hand on Kurgan's back to follow through the dark.

After a step or two, he says, "Since we are abandoning stealth, shall I light this globe? I admit that I feel somewhat off-balance in this darkness."

Mike_the_Mystic
2012-10-26, 01:05 PM
"Aye lad, go ahead and do so, better that everyone can see than just us dwarfs!"

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-10-26, 04:29 PM
"Shoine it ahbit 'is way friend, 'elp meh in me search fer whatever ta' 'ell left this mess 'ere."

Leolo
2012-10-29, 07:21 AM
The light reveals what the silver shine of the moon could not. Footprints lead from the door further over the small path above the castle wall. They are huge and clearly made by boots walking over the old blood. You do not know if those tracks have been made when the arm has been lost by his former owner, but it seems possible.

You move through the door but when you use your lantern to view the ground outside of the castle you can not see a dead body lying there. No corpse, although you are sure whoever ripped this arm off has killed the poor creature possessing it.

No one seems to be here, although you are sure the green light was moving over the wallway.

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-10-29, 01:12 PM
"Oi. Looks ta' be somfin out thar. I dun think we should investigate 'til we get tha' lad healed. If we go missin er get lost, itll be only Leif thar tu' take care o' 'im. An' ah dobt 'e knows ta' way tu' town. We best be stayin 'ere an keepin watch until mornin. Then we go tu' town, get Mr. Gyrard healed, come back an' investigate while settin' up our base o' operations. Ifin this be tha' place ye wunt to hold out at. What du ye fellers think?"
Gerud steps cautiously over the blood, careful not to erase any evidence.
"Ol' Leif's eyes could track 'is bugger..."

LTSearchEngine
2012-10-31, 04:41 PM
"If you would prefer, we could split up. I could go back with Leif and the prince, and you could continue on in darkness. If we don't want to split, I say we should investigate. We need to know what dangers are lurking about."

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-10-31, 10:07 PM
"...Oi...I dun loike ta' ide'er o' lettin ta' prince outta me comfort zone...Och this be a mind boggler. What du ye say Kurgan?"

Mike_the_Mystic
2012-11-01, 10:11 AM
"The owner of tha arm, and whoever might've removed that arm are probably gonna be down that way" Kurgan says as he points down the bloody path "We should confront whatever dwells in tha depths an' slay it, lest it harm our prince"

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-11-01, 04:47 PM
"Olroight, ah'll trust Leif with ta' prince fer now, whatever be lurkin about 'asn't gone to ta' castle anyway. Off we go ah guess."
Gerud begins to search the path, motioning for the others to follow. He leads his friends toward the light, hoping to find clues.
[roll0] Perception

Leolo
2012-11-04, 06:18 AM
You follow the path on the wall, where once guards may have watched the surrounding land and keep it save. Time has made the stones crack and the ground dangerous. When you come to a small rift in the wall that a lightning bolt might have produced you hear the sounds of a cat again, but frightened and defensive now. Someone has put a ladder on the wall so that you could climb into the inner yard, maybe to overcome the rift without jumping.

Down below seems to be some kind of stable with a flat wooden roof.

Mike_the_Mystic
2012-11-09, 10:58 AM
"So...jumpin an' climbin'...two very undwarfy activities"

LTSearchEngine
2012-11-09, 11:55 AM
Alir eyes the wreckage and moves forward into position to move across the rift. Carefully, he makes use of the ladder and whatever handholds are available to him, to test the ground to see if there is a safe or easy path for his companions.

"I will check to see if there is any sturdy way across... or at least perhaps if there are any false holds which might get us in trouble."

Slowly, he traverses the rift.

Acrobatics: [roll0]

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-11-09, 05:43 PM
"Aye Kurgan, seems ta' be trecherous. Off ah go ah guess."
[roll]1d20+7 Acrobatics

Leolo
2012-11-12, 02:28 AM
The ladder down into the yard is on the inside side of the wall and to far from Alir to help him traverse the rift, but it is easy for him to overcome the rift even without this. When he looks back to his comrades and then down he can see the green light again from the inside of the stable down in the yard. There is an open door, and flickering fragments of the green light shine at the ground of the stable.

One moment later the cat is squieking for the last time, and then the stable is dark again.

LTSearchEngine
2012-11-12, 09:06 AM
Alir motions to get the dwarves' attention and points at the stable. He whispers, "Kurgan, Gerud - I saw the same strange green light in the stables just now. We should go and investigate."

Alir begins to scale down the wall toward the courtyard.

OOC:Is that possible? I'm not sure of the layout exactly.

Leolo
2012-11-12, 01:18 PM
The wall is smooth and still slippery from the rain. But the rift in the wall is deep and Alir might climb to the ground using the broken stones within it.

The less dangerous way down into the yard seems to be the ladder, but you can see it from inside of the stable, and who knows what is hiding there?

You could also jump of the wall and on the stable, hoping the old roof will carry your weight.

Very hard dc to climb the wall, medium to climb the rift. No DC to use the ladder

LTSearchEngine
2012-11-12, 01:43 PM
Alir enters the rift in order to make use of the more stable hand-holds.

"Careful, the rock is very slick," he whispers to his companions as he begins.

Assuming that the rift is hidden from the stable, that's the way I will go. If so, here is my roll:

Acrobatics: [roll0]

Leolo
2012-11-12, 04:42 PM
Alir is climbing sure handed and without bringing the stones within the Rift into movement or slipping his grip.

Mike_the_Mystic
2012-11-14, 04:24 PM
"You an' me should climb down tha ladder Gerud" Kurgan says to his Dwarfy brother "Let's head on down thar. There ain't nothin' that we can't beat."

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-11-14, 07:17 PM
"Olroight...I'll keep an eye out fer things when ye go down, ah'll warn ye if somefin be wrong."
Gerud makes his way very clumsily to the ladder, worried about his prince.

Leolo
2012-11-17, 02:39 PM
Alir is watching into the darkness of the stable. Something weird is moving in there, lurking for you.

Just as Kurgan starts to climb the ladder the green fire begins to burn again within the stable, outlining a scary, undefinable creature. Alir notices a leg, than another and a third, arms and bones tied together without making any sense. It looks like parts from dead bodies, robbed with murder and violence.

Behind the thing Alir can see a little girl - or better the silvery image of a little girl. She looks at him and opens her beautiful lips to form a whispered word:

"Run!"

The burning undead storms forward, eager to get kurgan on the ladder or throw him down.

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-11-17, 10:41 PM
Gerud's eyes grow wide at the sight of the abomination. He know's there is no negotiating with such a creature, and his allies are in danger. His normally shaky movements solidify as he strides toward the ladder.
"OI'AY, KURGAN!" He shouts, frantically pointing at the undead creature. He makes a mad leap towards the ladder, sliding down the side so as not to knock his ally off.
As he makes this daring leap, he bellows "UNDEAD DUN' DESERVE DIPLOMACY", spit flying every which way.
Athletics to successfully slide down the side of the ladder (Fireman style) [roll0]

Leolo
2012-11-18, 07:25 AM

(Please roll your initiative)

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-11-18, 10:36 AM
Botched typing initiative ([roll]1d20+4, forgot closer) ignore post

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-11-18, 10:42 AM
Oh dear I'm sorry :smallredface: completely forgot about initiative. Initiative [roll0]

LTSearchEngine
2012-11-18, 11:11 PM
Initiative:[roll0]

Leolo
2012-11-19, 10:46 AM
Gerud is to slow to reach the ladder in time, but his warning shout alarms Kurgan a moment before the creature narrows the distance between the stable door and the wall.

Initiative order:
Kurgan,
Monster,
Gerud,
Alir
Situation description: kurgan is about 20 feet above the ground on the ladder, the stable door with the charging creature is 30 feet away from the ladder.

The roof of the stable is about 10feet high.

The monster seems to be some kind of undead, the girl behind it looks like a ghost.

Mike_the_Mystic
2012-11-19, 06:20 PM
"GERUD!" Kurgan says with a fierce look in his eye "YOU KNOW WHAT WE GOTTA DO LAD!"

And with that, Kurgan attempts to drop to the ground with an undwarvenly finesse (Which is to say, any normal creature's finesse).

[roll0]

Leolo
2012-11-20, 04:08 AM
Kurgan is really not trained enough to jump 20feet down and land on his feet or even lower the impact by rolling off. He hits the ground hard.

Kurgan takes 11 falling damage and is prone. He still can act.

Mike_the_Mystic
2012-11-21, 03:04 PM
I use an action point to get up.

Kurgan picks himself off the ground, takes out his Avalanche Warhammer, glares at the creature head on. "Run? RUN? HAHA! Dwarfs don' run, they waddle. And even if Oi could, Oi wouldn't. Wanna know why? Because Oi have tha spirits behind me, and there a far more powerful force than ya!"

Kurgan calls upon the power of his primal spirit, The Mountain's Thunder. His skin hardens and takes on a color akin to granite, and the air around him feels like it does before a storm.

"Come get some, ya rat bastard!" he booms with the voice of thunder "And feel the wrath of Kurgan Stonehammer!"

Using my daily Form of the Mountain's Thunder, conferring resist 3 to all damage and +1 ac for the rest of the encounter.

Leolo
2012-11-22, 02:37 AM
The large creature charges Kurgan, burning and crying out loudly from one of it's heads. They look like ripped off the neck of humans and goblins, and you doubt that the being thinks with it. It just seems to consist of anger and pain, hate for something.

It's touch is cold, strangely cold and feels like life drained from a body, but the next moment it starts to burn and set kurgans hand in flames. He manages to avoid his flesh being burned, though, and clears it of from the metal, surviving the first attack unharmed. An aura of green fire surrounds the thing, touching the ladder and everything within 3 or 4 steps of it.

Behind it the ghost girl is looking to kurgan and says:

"Pride." as if she tries to remember the meaning of the word.

[roll0] vs AC
[roll1] necrotic + 5 ongoing fire damage

The beast is large, and has an aura2 that burns. It is standing next to kurgan between him and the stable.

Mike_the_Mystic
2012-11-22, 09:50 AM
My AC is 27 at the moment

Ulysses WkAmil
2012-11-22, 11:59 AM
I guess I'll retry my fireman move after that embarrassing fluke.
Gerud, snapping out of his daydream of what he will attempt to do, charges forward, drawing his battle hammer. "AHM ROIGHT BE'IND YE!" he shouts as he charges for the ladder. As he nears the ladder, he throws his robe sleeve over his hand and leaps to slide down the ladder.
Minor to pull out weapon, Move to run to the ladder, and Standard to make a slide safely down to the floor via ladder. I believe acrobatics would be more appropriate for sliding down an old ladder. Acrobatics- [roll0]

LTSearchEngine
2012-11-28, 10:28 AM
Alir leaps forward, moving like water to flank the beast with Kurgan. He strikes quickly, landing a solid blow. His technique is quick, rendering it difficult for the monster to track him, and at the end of a flourish, he strikes again, harrying the creature.

Move into combat and then use the fallen needle minor power to shift into flanking positon if necessary. Then, Fallen Needle:
[roll0] vs. Reflex.
[roll1] damage.
The beast is at a -2 to attack me.
Then, if that hits, flurry of blows: 5 damage. I can slide him, but I have no idea if it would be advantageous to do so.

Leolo
2012-12-02, 12:52 PM
The beast is large and Alir has to watch out for it's attacks while surrounding it, but finally he manages to get into flanking position with Kurgan.

Although the fire is harming you Alir manages to attack the creature and hits it.

Alir's attack hits
At the start of the next turn would Gerud and Kurgan take 10 fire damage each for standing next to the beast.

Moving it could be good for you, but you also got him surrounded and can assume each of you is able to get combat advantage for your attacks.

Mike_the_Mystic
2012-12-03, 11:36 PM
With the strength of the Mountain behind him, Kurgan begins his attack. First, he brings up a spirit sigil above the creature's form, marking it with his Warden Magic. Then, Kurgan pulls the strength of the very rock and stone to enhance his Hammer's blow, whilst bolstering himself in the process.

Kurgan takes 7 damage from his foe's fiery aura.
Kurgan is at 68 health.
While Kurgan is in his Guardian Form, he gains +2 to all damage dealt by his hammer.
[roll0]
[roll1]
If successful, Kurgan gains 5 temporary hitpoints.

LTSearchEngine
2012-12-04, 12:52 PM
Alir gauges the monster's positioning, and uncoils like a spring, landing a vicious, disorienting strike on the creature. The beast swoons, staggers, and then strikes itself in an attempt to retaliate. Alir lands a fast backhand in response, and then leaps in the air and kicks out again, disorienting the beast further. Yikes. Spending heroic effort to attempt to make the encounter power hit, if it doesn't already.
When my time in the intiative comes up, I do the above. I assume I also take 10 fire damage? If not, let me know.
Alir is at 59 health after taking 10 damage.

Drunken monkey: [roll0] +4 from heroic effort =21vs. Will
Damage:[roll1]
If it hits, the target is slid 1 square to help Kurgan and Gerud flank, and then it attacks itself with a melee basic attack at +3 to hit. This should trigger the Warden's mark.

Then creature takes 5 damage from flurry of blows (and can be slid an additional square to help with flanking. Then Alir spends an action point, and uses Fallen Needle.
[roll2] vs. Reflex
Damage:[roll3]
Alir then uses his move to shift 1 square away, and uses his Fallen needle movement technique to convert his minor into a shift of 1 square, shifting outside of the damaging fire.
It is my intent to leave the monster in a position where Kurgan and Gerud are flanking, so I can dance in and out to do damage and flank, but not remove their flanking bonuses. Since I can't see the battlefield, I don't know if this is possible. The monster is at -2 to hit me.