PDA

View Full Version : Need Ideas for a freaky grey jester (HoH) character

MulletMonk
2012-08-27, 05:51 AM
First thanks for checking out this thread and trying to help me out. I appreciate it.

Restrictions/what we're working with. splat books; Heroes of Horror, Elder Evils, Exemplars of Evil, Lords of Madness, and SRD. 3 ecl to start with. aberrant blood and willing deformity as bonus feats. I'm going to be a Grey Jester from HoH.

My Deity at the moment is Merihem (homebrew, link here (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Merihem)) as this deity is the most interesting I've found so far. If you know of an interesting non-lawful evil deity related to vampires please feel free to make suggestions.

This character is Chaotic Evil, he leans towards madness, and wants to become a vampire. So much so that he avoids sunlight, garlic, holy symbols, crossing running water, and entering a residence uninvited in training for the day he becomes that which he admires most.

wall of fluff/backstory
He came to the material plane from the plane of pandemonium, where he lived in the Queen of Air and Darkness'es Unseelie Court. He was quite content feasting on the joy of unwary children for some time before he came across a dark and, macabre circus.

Drawn by the spectacle, and the chance to feed, Vorlascal (my character) entered the circus. There he beheld may strange things. Unnatural creatures, strange in appearance and ability. One trait alone seemed to unify the chaotic cornucopia of characters. It put an uneasy sense of discomfort in the viewers, it brought dark glares from the performers, and gave light to the starved eye of the ring master as he watched the crowd.

Night had long fallen and the performance came to a false crescendo. the stunt man climbed into the catapult, the band in full drum roll. With a quick release of the lever the stuntman was throw high into the tent, and came crashing down into the throng of awe-struck viewers.

Then the real show began.

The whole of the carnival broke into action at the signal. Dunking booth attendants ripping their cloths away, as tattered and torn skin broke making room for the thick hide of a wolf. Beast tamers turned their charges loose uttering words in foul tongues while fiddling with vials of blood and scraps of dried skin causing their creature's eyes to glaze over with a frenzied blood-lust. Walls of acid, and great balls of flame met the screaming patrons at every turn.

In all these sights, Vorlascal reveled, but they each stood dim before the visage of the ring leader. He slowly walked towards a group of people. At their front stood a tall and defiant man. He held a great sword in his tawny hands and gleaming armor adorned his body.

"I may die, but your vile cir......" the man began to shout, but his eyes glazed over and his voice dyed in his mouth mid sentence.

"Turn around and kill them." The ring leader commanded simply.

Flesh and gore flew about the practiced fighter as he followed the grizzly command, tears flowing down his face as his whimpering wife begged him to stop. It was pointless.

As soon as her head was severed from her body the warrior's body shivered, and he fell to his knees.

"What? Tired already? They didn't even fight back. Come you can do better than that. Can't you?" goaded the dark leader leaning back against a cart, the chaos and savage violence of the carnival a cacophony going off all around him.

Faster than most could pull a dagger, the fighter rose and charged the man a feral broken cry on his lips. His greatsword sliced cleanly. Through a gaseous form. It wafted up into the darkness of the night and escaped view.

The man sliced futilely into the air above him. "Come back, you foul creature! Face your death!"

As fast as shadow the pale man appeared and fell from the sky slamming the fighter to the ground, and with eyes wide and impossibly sharp canines bared the man bared down on the man's neck. The man struggled, his corded arms flexing mightily against the slighter man's hold but he held a strength unnatural that the mere man couldn't hope to defeat.

Slowly his resistance wore down his hands moving slower, but still some life was in him. Drawing a dagger from his belt he brought his arm out lining up a strike as if against his own neck. With his last bit of strength he surged his dagger to his thought. He could not kill this creature, this fable of horror brought to life, but he could at least save his soul from eternal damnation as it's servant.

Or so he had hoped. just as the dagger was about to strike home the Vampire rolled his body putting his own neck in-line with the weapon it imbedded firmly into the vampire's cold flesh, and the vampire swatted the warriors hand away with a savage strike.

The Vampire released his bite and looked the fighter in the eyes as he spoke. "You can't kill yourself." he said as he slowly pulled the knife from the quickly closing wound. "what would your wife think?" he concluded with a blood soaked toothy smile, before homing in for the finishing bite.

The events of that day changed the life of Vorlascal, forsaking the Queen of air and Darkness he joined the circus and started worshiping the God of his vampire boss, hoping that one day, if his worship was fervent enough he might himself taste the blood of mortals as he tastes their joy.

Considering his backstory I was thinking his last level for ECL could be favored soul, cleric, or paladin, or... you know.... another template, but I don't want to be a full caster soooooo........ I beseech you, oh playground occupants, help me fulfill my character development and contribute to the party.

(edit this thread is for whole build ideas, different places I could go with this character.)

(Edit2 just remembered I want to use this weapon Elven Courtblade
Sword, Elven Courtblade: These exotic swords seem impossibly long and thin, tapering to a needlelike point. One edge of the blade is sharpened along its entire length, and the opposite edge is sharpened only for the fi nal quarter near the tip. A courtblade has a basket-shaped hilt (usually made to resemble leaves and vines), a long grip, and a heavy pommel. The weapon is intended for thrusting attacks, but the wielder can slash with it as well. A character with the Exotic Weapon Profi ciency (elven courtblade) feat finds the weapon well suited for quick feints and thrusts. A character can use an elven courtblade in conjunction with the Weapon Finesse feat, applying her Dexterity bonus (if any) to melee attacks she makes with the weapon, though it remains a two-handed weapon and not a light weapon. Characters proficient with the elven courtblade may treat it as a greatsword for the purpose of any of the following feats: Greater Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Specialization, Improved Critical, Weapon Focus, and Weapon Specialization.

Sword, elven courtblade 150 gp 1d10 18–20/×2 — 6 lb. Piercing or slashing

Mrgone
2012-08-27, 07:52 AM
First thanks for checking out this thread and trying to help me out. I appreciate it.

Restrictions/what we're working with. splat books; Heroes of Horror, Elder Evils, Exemplars of Evil, Lords of Madness, and SRD. 3 ecl to start with. aberrant blood and willing deformity as bonus feats. I'm going to be a Grey Jester from HoH.

My Deity at the moment is Merihem (homebrew, link here (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Merihem)) as this deity is the most interesting I've found so far. If you know of an interesting non-lawful evil deity related to vampires please feel free to make suggestions.

This character is Chaotic Evil, he leans towards madness, and wants to become a vampire. So much so that he avoids sunlight, garlic, holy symbols, crossing running water, and entering a residence uninvited in training for the day he becomes that which he admires most.

wall of fluff/backstory
He came to the material plane from the plane of pandemonium, where he lived in the Queen of Air and Darkness'es Unseelie Court. He was quite content feasting on the joy of unwary children for some time before he came across a dark and, macabre circus.

Drawn by the spectacle, and the chance to feed, Vorlascal (my character) entered the circus. There he beheld may strange things. Unnatural creatures, strange in appearance and ability. One trait alone seemed to unify the chaotic cornucopia of characters. It put an uneasy sense of discomfort in the viewers, it brought dark glares from the performers, and gave light to the starved eye of the ring master as he watched the crowd.

Night had long fallen and the performance came to a false crescendo. the stunt man climbed into the catapult, the band in full drum roll. With a quick release of the lever the stuntman was throw high into the tent, and came crashing down into the throng of awe-struck viewers.

Then the real show began.

The whole of the carnival broke into action at the signal. Dunking booth attendants ripping their cloths away, as tattered and torn skin broke making room for the thick hide of a wolf. Beast tamers turned their charges loose uttering words in foul tongues while fiddling with vials of blood and scraps of dried skin causing their creature's eyes to glaze over with a frenzied blood-lust. Walls of acid, and great balls of flame met the screaming patrons at every turn.

In all these sights, Vorlascal reveled, but they each stood dim before the visage of the ring leader. He slowly walked towards a group of people. At their front stood a tall and defiant man. He held a great sword in his tawny hands and gleaming armor adorned his body.

"I may die, but your vile cir......" the man began to shout, but his eyes glazed over and his voice dyed in his mouth mid sentence.

"Turn around and kill them." The ring leader commanded simply.

Flesh and gore flew about the practiced fighter as he followed the grizzly command, tears flowing down his face as his whimpering wife begged him to stop. It was pointless.

As soon as her head was severed from her body the warrior's body shivered, and he fell to his knees.

"What? Tired already? They didn't even fight back. Come you can do better than that. Can't you?" goaded the dark leader leaning back against a cart, the chaos and savage violence of the carnival a cacophony going off all around him.

Faster than most could pull a dagger, the fighter rose and charged the man a feral broken cry on his lips. His greatsword sliced cleanly. Through a gaseous form. It wafted up into the darkness of the night and escaped view.

The man sliced futilely into the air above him. "Come back, you foul creature! Face your death!"

As fast as shadow the pale man appeared and fell from the sky slamming the fighter to the ground, and with eyes wide and impossibly sharp canines bared the man bared down on the man's neck. The man struggled, his corded arms flexing mightily against the slighter man's hold but he held a strength unnatural that the mere man couldn't hope to defeat.

Slowly his resistance wore down his hands moving slower, but still some life was in him. Drawing a dagger from his belt he brought his arm out lining up a strike as if against his own neck. With his last bit of strength he surged his dagger to his thought. He could not kill this creature, this fable of horror brought to life, but he could at least save his soul from eternal damnation as it's servant.

Or so he had hoped. just as the dagger was about to strike home the Vampire rolled his body putting his own neck in-line with the weapon it imbedded firmly into the vampire's cold flesh, and the vampire swatted the warriors hand away with a savage strike.

The Vampire released his bite and looked the fighter in the eyes as he spoke. "You can't kill yourself." he said as he slowly pulled the knife from the quickly closing wound. "what would your wife think?" he concluded with a blood soaked toothy smile, before homing in for the finishing bite.

The events of that day changed the life of Vorlascal, forsaking the Queen of air and Darkness he joined the circus and started worshiping the God of his vampire boss, hoping that one day, if his worship was fervent enough he might himself taste the blood of mortals as he tastes their joy.

Considering his backstory I was thinking his last level for ECL could be favored soul, cleric, or paladin, or... you know.... another template, but I don't want to be a full caster soooooo........ I beseech you, oh playground occupants, help me fulfill my character development and contribute to the party.

(edit this thread is for whole build ideas, different places I could go with this character.)

(Edit2 just remembered I want to use this weapon Elven Courtblade
Sword, Elven Courtblade: These exotic swords seem impossibly long and thin, tapering to a needlelike point. One edge of the blade is sharpened along its entire length, and the opposite edge is sharpened only for the fi nal quarter near the tip. A courtblade has a basket-shaped hilt (usually made to resemble leaves and vines), a long grip, and a heavy pommel. The weapon is intended for thrusting attacks, but the wielder can slash with it as well. A character with the Exotic Weapon Profi ciency (elven courtblade) feat finds the weapon well suited for quick feints and thrusts. A character can use an elven courtblade in conjunction with the Weapon Finesse feat, applying her Dexterity bonus (if any) to melee attacks she makes with the weapon, though it remains a two-handed weapon and not a light weapon. Characters proficient with the elven courtblade may treat it as a greatsword for the purpose of any of the following feats: Greater Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Specialization, Improved Critical, Weapon Focus, and Weapon Specialization.

Sword, elven courtblade 150 gp 1d10 18–20/×2 — 6 lb. Piercing or slashing

new info on the campaign. start him out at first level. as everyone else will start as a first level character. had an awesome idea and I'm gonna use it. level 1 phb race. all wotc source books available.
there ya go bro.

Urpriest
2012-08-27, 08:23 AM
Gray Jesters ECL 10, so you won't be able to play one unless I'm missing something.

dantiesilva
2012-08-27, 08:27 AM
Well saying you want to use a courtblade be an elf, saying it is an elven one. I would suggest maybe Bard, then going into Dirgesinger for fluff wise, plus it will help you when you go undead with the bolstering.

But for fun and less spellcasting you could go paladin then corrupted avenger. It will take a few extra levels but you know you could work in that someone killed your master after you were turned and then you went crazy with wanting revenge, thus came in the corrupted avenger. (which also keep in mind gains bonus abilities from Fallen paladin levels, so unlike the blackguard you get useful stuff.)

Paladin of slaughter 6/Corrupted avenger 10/ Dread witch 4

That way you are the embodiment of fear.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-27, 09:03 AM
If your DM allows homebrew, Olescamo's Gray Jester monster class (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1502.0) is just what you want/need. Just be wary that they are very powerful compared to first party monster classes and other classes in general.

Mrgone
2012-08-27, 09:49 AM
I'll allow the homebrew monster class minus the Spell resistance from last laugh.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-27, 09:50 AM
sounds reasonable to me.

doko239
2012-08-27, 12:32 PM
If you're open to non-DND pantheons, the Pathfinder gods Zon-Kuthon (pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Zon-Kuthon) and Urgathoa (pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Urgathoa) might fit your concept.

Mrgone
2012-08-27, 12:52 PM
Dm in the playground:

to help the thread on details in regards to the generation of his character the perimeters of character generation for the campaign are as such.

starting level: 1st level for purposes of introduction to the black circus.
after introduction the character will gain a +3 ecl for purposes
of determining templates and such for an effective level 4
character.

bonus feats: the character will start with aberrant blood and willing deformity
as free feats and will roll randomly for one free aberrant feat
and again for one free deformity feat. the free feats will be
awarded after induction into the black circus.

source materials: all wotc published material. (I reserve the rite to approve
or disapprove any content after generation, before play). in
other words: no pun puns lol.