PDA

View Full Version : How viable is a TWF cleric?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-27, 08:42 AM
I am toying with a TWF cleric build; but I am not sure how viable it is on actual play.

My idea was going Daelkyr Halfblood Ranger 1/Cloistered Cleric 4/ Impure Prince 5/ Something 10 (considering Ordained champion; but I am not sure and I can only loose 1 more CL at the most)

The idea was to use a Tentacle Whip (ECS) symbiont on my off-hand and something else in the main hand, using Knowledge devotion and Holy Warrior as a source of bonus damage.

How viable do you think this it? Is there another gishy option I should consider (Bone Knight looks tempting too) I don't want to rely on persisted spells so classes with Medium BAB are preferred.

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-27, 09:01 AM
The answer is very, very viable.
Ordained Champion is a key component to make it work. There was a very good build for this back in 339, but it was lost to a thread purge years ago.
You're in the right track, with Cloistered Cleric for free Knowledge Devotion. Get Travel Devotion as well, Holy Warrior (from Complete Champion), TWF + Gloves of the Balanced Hand (MIC). You should always keep Footsteps of the Divine and Divine Power prepared.
As usual, you should consider a dip into Swordsage for the extra AC and the possibility to get Dex to damage.

00dlez
2012-08-27, 09:03 AM
Use a shield (Yes it can be your primary, so go big without needing OTWF)

A +1 Bashing Spiked Shield, I believe, should deal 2d6. This can be buffed further with cleric spells (even stuff like Enlarge Persongives you an extra d6 in addition to strength/size boosts)

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-27, 09:08 AM
The answer is very, very viable.
Ordained Champion is a key component to make it work. There was a very good build for this back in 339, but it was lost to a thread purge years ago.
You're in the right track, with Cloistered Cleric for free Knowledge Devotion. Get Travel Devotion as well, Holy Warrior (from Complete Champion), TWF + Gloves of the Balanced Hand (MIC). You should always keep Footsteps of the Divine and Divine Power prepared.
As usual, you should consider a dip into Swordsage for the extra AC and the possibility to get Dex to AC.

Isn't that the norm? :smalltongue:

I don't think dipping swordsage would be a good idea as it would cost me 9th level spells (I already loose 2 levels from Impure Prince and ranger dip).

Why Footsteps of the Divine? I don't have my books at hand right now; but I am am somewhat familiar with the spell due that build that combined Tornado Throw and dismissed Persisted Footsteps of the divine to move ftl and deal tons of damage (which IIRC was broken with the book's errata).

I won't need to prepare Divine Power as with the Domain Spontaneity I can well cast it spontaneously (redundant words are redundant)

Edit: 00dlez: The Symbiont doesn't gives any kind of penalties (except from the actual TWF feat) when working as an off-hand weapon and sadly I can't wield anything on that hand; but at least it does let me keep it free for casting.

LTwerewolf
2012-08-27, 09:25 AM
A 2 level dip into swordsage gives wisdom to AC. Not really worth it imo, unless you really want some maneuvers.

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-27, 09:38 AM
Isn't that the norm? :smalltongue:
Ooops, meant Dex to damage :smalltongue:

I don't think dipping swordsage would be a good idea as it would cost me 9th level spells (I already loose 2 levels from Impure Prince and ranger dip).
Well, will you be playing this build to level 20? If so, then yeah, losing 9s is a big deal.

Why Footsteps of the Divine? I don't have my books at hand right now; but I am am somewhat familiar with the spell due that build that combined Tornado Throw and dismissed Persisted Footsteps of the divine to move ftl and deal tons of damage (which IIRC was broken with the book's errata).
It's a very versatile spell centered on mobility. With Travel Devotion doing the heavy lifting for you and Footsteps of the Divine filling the blanks, you will make Sonic look like a turtle.

I won't need to prepare Divine Power as with the Domain Spontaneity I can well cast it spontaneously (redundant words are redundant)
Oh, that's good.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-27, 09:44 AM
I won't be pumping dex too much... 16 at the most, so that wouldn't be that good.

Right now it is just a theoretical build cause I was bored; but I do hope I can find a game when I can play this kind of guy (I might even offer my Anima DM to take a break and dm myself a short campaign and use this guy as a BBEG), so I am assuming him to reach level 20.

I wasn't planning on taking travel devotion; but I might consider it.

Apart from Travel, which other domain would be useful? I was considering Envy domain (SC) which is very versatile at higher levels (Limited Wish, Simulacrum and Wish!!) and has some good non-cleric touch spells to use with my awesome tentacle whip (Touch of Idiocy and Vampiric touch); but I am open to other options