PDA

View Full Version : Good Mobile Classes?

ColossusCrusher
2012-08-27, 09:17 AM
I'm looking for a class that can get behind the enemy frontline to get to the delicious squishies in the back, and I was wondering if the rest of the Playground can help me out.

Swordsage is my default option if nothing else works out, but I really want to mix it up a bit if I can. Rogue looks good, but since the concept is based on getting to the backline with few if any allies nearby it'd be a lot harder to Sneak Attack consistently.

Any suggestions?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-27, 09:23 AM
Any kind of Shadowpouncer should work well, in fact it would be easier to get past the enemy lines as you can all but ignore the enemies frontliner (beware of Anticipate Teleport though).

The Jaunter prestige class (EttDWP IIRC) is also pretty neat getting you a lot of mobility based SLA with used per day based on Dex (which should be high). A swift ranger might also work; but you need the dip into cleric for travel devotion).

Piggy Knowles
2012-08-27, 09:23 AM
Totemist gets move-action dimension door at-will by second level, so it's a pretty nice option.

EDIT: It can also be a decent base for a shadowpouncer, as the above poster mentioned, although it's quite good all on its own as well. For a totemist shadowpouncer, I like:

Rogue 1/Totemist 2/Cobra Strike (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#cobraStrike) Monk 2/Umbral Disciple 3/Telflammar Shadowlord 4/Swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327) 8

ColossusCrusher
2012-08-27, 09:26 AM
Any kind of Shadowpouncer should work well, in fact it would be easier to get past the enemy lines as you can all but ignore the enemies frontliner (beware of Anticipate Teleport though).

The Jaunter prestige class (EttDWP IIRC) is also pretty neat getting you a lot of mobility based SLA with used per day based on Dex (which should be high). A swift ranger might also work; but you need the dip into cleric for travel devotion).

Could you explain what the Shadowpouncer is, exactly (at work, AFB)? I'm afraid my D&D Optimization-Fu isn't as good as my Mage: the Awakening Opt-Fu. :)

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-27, 09:29 AM
Shadowpouncers are builds who use the Ability Shadow Pounce, which let's you make a full attack after you teleport. To the best of my knowledge only two prestige classes get the ability, the Telflammar Shadow Lord and Crinti Shadow Marauder. If you get different action teleports (like getting Shadow Jaunt/Stride/blink manuevers) you can potentially full attack 3 times in one round (or even 4 if you get an Immediate action teleport like abrupt jaunt).

Piggy Knowles
2012-08-27, 09:31 AM
A shadowpouncer basically is someone that can make a full attack after teleporting (like a lion's pounce ability). It's named after the Telflammar Shadowlord's fourth level ability, which does just that.

Telflammar Shadowlord is from Unapproachable East, if you're looking for a source book. There are a couple of other ways to get similar effects - Sun School monks get one, and I believe the Crinti Shadow Marauder does as well. But Telflammar Shadowlord is the main class people think about when shadowpouncers come up.

LTwerewolf
2012-08-27, 09:32 AM
Barbarians can manage it pretty well, as can monks, and lurks are pretty great at it, with their psionic powers to back themselves up until help can arrive.

Psyren
2012-08-27, 09:37 AM
Almost every T3 melee can do this - Binders, Totemists, Psywars, Warblades...

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-27, 09:49 AM
Seeing Psyren just reminded me that any class with at least cha 11 can get Dimension hop with Hidden Talent and spend some GP (3k or so) and get a swift action 10 ft teleport 7/day (getting extra PP from the Earth Node wondrous location in Complete Psionic)

Psyren
2012-08-27, 09:57 AM
Seeing Psyren just reminded me that any class with at least cha 11 can get Dimension hop with Hidden Talent and spend some GP (3k or so) and get a swift action 10 ft teleport 7/day (getting extra PP from the Earth Node wondrous location in Complete Psionic)

Sometimes I feel like a phrenic Helen Lovejoy. "Won't somebody please think of the psions???" :smallwink:

A cognizance crystal is another way to get additional ammunition for HT, as you don't actually need a manifester level to use them. Note also that Pearls of Power double as cognizance crystals (of the appropriate level.) This is a useful alternative if the DM would rather leave psionic locations out of the campaign.

Bloodgruve
2012-08-27, 11:23 AM
Psionic Dimension Hop is great.

Blood~

ColossusCrusher
2012-08-27, 11:28 AM
Psionic Dimension Hop is great.

Blood~

I was looking a bit at Totemist and that seems like a fun option. How would I do a mobile Psionic character? PsyWarrior, buff before combat and instagib the squishy?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-27, 11:39 AM
Yep, you can also use Linked Power (CPsi) to manifest a buff one round 1 linking it to a movement power (Dimension hop/slide or hustle) and on the next round you will manifest the second power without expending an action, probably leaving you next to a squishy target with your full round of actions to gib him.

Psyren
2012-08-27, 11:49 AM
I was looking a bit at Totemist and that seems like a fun option. How would I do a mobile Psionic character? PsyWarrior, buff before combat and instagib the squishy?

While you can buff before combat, psionics has more ways to do so in combat (and save actions) than any other system. So you don't have to by any means.

ColossusCrusher
2012-08-27, 11:57 AM
I'm reading the PsiWar Handbook right now and that Mantled Warrior and Skilled City Dweller ACFs look awesome for the backline-assaulter concept I have in mind - bonus movespeed, tumbling and teleportation are fun.

I'll have to pore through the Psionics books once I'm home, though.