PDA

View Full Version : Melee classes with multiple Knowledge (X) as class skills? (3.5)

13_CBS
2012-08-27, 10:30 AM
I was recently thinking about a bizzarro natural-attack melee build that incorporates both Knowledge Devotion (Complete Champion) and the Dragonfire Adept (Dragon Magic), and I was trying to find a melee-focused class that benefits greatly from having high Intelligence AND has at least two or three Knowledge (X) as class skills. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Zdrak
2012-08-27, 10:32 AM
Duskblade. Full BAB, all Knowledge skills are class skills, and INT-based casting.

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-27, 10:33 AM
Duskblade, from Player's Handbook II.

Essence_of_War
2012-08-27, 10:35 AM
The Factotum can fit the bill.

More generally, any human/doppelganger who takes 1 level in factotum or human paragon and takes the Able Learner feat can then do this.

Edit: The Warblade also has two knowledge skills also (so it meets your minimum req) and benefits from high Int.

eggs
2012-08-27, 10:47 AM
The Education feat could make this much easier.

Downysole
2012-08-27, 10:52 AM
Level 7 Cloistered Cleric with DMM Persist on Divine Power. (except for the intelligence bonuses part)

13_CBS
2012-08-27, 11:02 AM
Well, I feel like a colossal doofus for not thinking of Duskblade (maybe I got it mixed up with Hexblade or something). :smallbiggrin: Looks like Duskblade might be precisely what I was looking for.

Just to be sure: the weapon-buff spells for Duskblades work on natural weapons, correct?

eggs
2012-08-27, 11:10 AM
Just to be sure: the weapon-buff spells for Duskblades work on natural weapons, correct?
Channeling works with natural weapons (though I believe it's already a default option for NW-users), but still requires a standard action, which probably won't mesh well with a natural weapon build.

Spells like Keen Edge or Greater Magic Weapon should work with natural weapons by the "Natural weapons are weapons that are physically a part of a creature" phrase.

Zdrak
2012-08-27, 11:15 AM
Just to be sure: the weapon-buff spells for Duskblades work on natural weapons, correct?You'll need to be a bit specific as to which buffs you mean. Magic Weapon, for example, explicitly doesn't work on natural weapons. Other spells might work.

Zdrak
2012-08-27, 11:17 AM
Spells like Keen Edge or Greater Magic Weapon should work with natural weapons by the "Natural weapons are weapons that are physically a part of a creature" phrase.

Not really.

You can’t cast this spell on a natural weapon ...
This spell functions like Magic Weapon, except that it gives a weapon an enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls of +1 per four caster levels (maximum +5).

eggs
2012-08-27, 11:19 AM
Not really.
I knew there was some reason that had never come up. I'm just going to cross that out real quick.

Andezzar
2012-08-27, 11:25 AM
Spells like Keen Edge or Greater Magic Weapon should work with natural weapons by the "Natural weapons are weapons that are physically a part of a creature" phrase.You may want to reread the rules for the aforementioned spells.

You can’t cast this spell on a natural weapon, such as an unarmed strike (instead, see magic fang).

You can’t cast this spell on a natural weapon, such as a claw.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-27, 11:27 AM
Rangers get two really useful Knowledges as class skill Dungeoneering and Nature (And I am pretty sure at least one of the millions ACF for rangers change that... I think Urban ranger might trade one of them for Local) add Knowledge devotion and you can get another one, Arcana is a good choice as it is religion. You also can get K:The planes with the Keeper of the Forbidden Lore feat (FCI IIRC)

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-27, 12:04 PM
I'm pretty sure Rangers can even get Knowledge (the planes) from the sub levels in Planar Handbook

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-27, 12:06 PM
I am not sure about the Planar Handbook ones; but the planar ranger variant from UA trades dungeoneering for the planes.

13_CBS
2012-08-27, 11:02 PM
One more thing, now that we're on the subject of Duskblades: are there any ways for Duskblades to grab Arcane spells from other spell lists, the way Psionic classes can learn each other's powers via Expanded Knowledge, for example? I'm looking at some of the buff spells for the Duskblade and I can't say that I'm terribly impressed...

ThiagoMartell
2012-08-27, 11:14 PM
You can use spell research or enter prestige classes such as Wyrm Wizard, Sandshaper or Fiend-Blooded. The Duskblade spell list is pretty sucky, yeah.

Zdrak
2012-08-28, 10:24 AM
One more thing, now that we're on the subject of Duskblades: are there any ways for Duskblades to grab Arcane spells from other spell lists, the way Psionic classes can learn each other's powers via Expanded Knowledge, for example? I'm looking at some of the buff spells for the Duskblade and I can't say that I'm terribly impressed...Extra Spell feat, depending on how liberal your reading is [and how lenient your DM is], may allow you to grab a spell from another class' list.

pyromanser244
2012-08-28, 12:32 PM
arcane disciple (complete divine) could help. it needs planning to pull off but it nets you entire domain lists as new spells. there are limitations, and a lot of them, but channeling slay living (death domain) or inflict critical wounds (destruction domain) is normally worth the song and dance.

also, look into the reserve feats. no spontaneous caster should ever leave home without them.

Togo
2012-08-28, 05:03 PM
Marshal (minature's handbook) gets all knowledges. And while it has no particular use for high int, it does have the ability to add cha to int checks and int-based skill checks, should that be useful to your build.

hex0
2012-08-28, 05:35 PM
I'm looking at some of the buff spells for the Duskblade and I can't say that I'm terribly impressed...

The duskblade doesn't have the best spell list, it's true. With some effort you could dip Sandshaper, though at least.