PDA

View Full Version : Symbiont Shenanigans

GutterFace
2012-08-27, 11:50 AM
So i have a question Playground!

If i obtain a Psionic Sinew symbiont, since it is joined with me, sort of like a familiar is to a wizard or like an animal companion....would the symbiont gain XP with me? when i level would it level as well? (if we both started off at the same level)

???

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-27, 11:56 AM
AFAIK no, Symbionts don't gain HD or XP when they are joined to anything (Hell IIRC they don't even have an advancement entry).

Still there are a lot of shenanigans with symbionts, particuarly you can make the action economy cry (many; but not all symbionts, retain their own actions per turn even when joined to a host).

I also suggest to invest on a cheap way to cure ability damage, an orb of mental renewal and a rod of bodily restoration works well; but I prefer a Strongheart Vest (thankfully there is no "If you are immune to ability damage this won't work" clause for symbionts. :smallamused:

GutterFace
2012-08-27, 12:12 PM
YES! the great strongheart vest. i was trying to find the what the item was called when looking up the symbiont. thanks for the clarification!

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-27, 12:15 PM
Strongheart vest isn't a Item, it is a Souldmeld from magic of Incarnum which essentially gives Ability Damage (perhaps even Drain) DR. Which means you can ignore the Dex damage dealt to you by your simbiont.

GutterFace
2012-08-27, 12:30 PM
hmmm i also thought there was an item that did this as well...i need more memory my brain is failing.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-27, 12:32 PM
The rod of bodily restoration cures phisical ability damage as a standard action, perhaps you were thinking of that or assumed the Strongheart vest was actually a vest.

GutterFace
2012-08-27, 02:37 PM
and i wanted to play a totemist too; i should remember that soulmelds by now.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-08-27, 02:42 PM
Well Strongheart vest is an Incarnate soulmeld, but you can easily get it with a feat and invest enough ensentia that you can even change symbionts on the fly (IIRC they all do 1d3 stat damage when you take them out, so with DR 3/- for ability damage you can essentially ignore that)