PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone here watch the German Bundesliga?

HKR
2012-08-27, 12:16 PM
Hey! The new footy season has started here in Germany last weekend. It´s the league´s 50th anniversary this year, so it´s kind of a special season. Looks like it´s going to be an exciting one too with Bayern and Dortmund (and possibly Mönchengladbach?) competing for the title and Hamburg (an established club and founding member of the league) likely fighting to escape relegation.

You might notice I´m pretty excited about it, especially after this loooong summer break and an... underwhelming euro cup.

Does anyone else here follow german football? What´s your favourite club and who do you think will win it this year? Let the football-talk begin!:smallsmile:

Om
2012-08-28, 10:29 AM
I don't get to watch much German league football but Dortmund's young team tends to be much respected in the English press. I've heard a lot of very good things about them

Yora
2012-08-28, 11:09 AM
Dortmund was legendary even back when I was in school almost 20 years ago.

Munich has the better long-time track record, but Dortmund is right at the same level.

Om
2012-08-28, 11:21 AM
Well yeah, Dortmund's always been a big-ish name in football (although Bayern are obviously by far and away the most famous German team internationally) but there's been some excitement about this particular Dortmund squad. The likes of Gotze, Reus, Hummels, Lewandowski, Sahin (who's left), etc are all highly rated young players

Amiria
2012-08-28, 11:41 AM
I'm really just interested in football when it comes to international games. I only have a marginal interest in the Bundesliga. I cheer whenever Bayern Munich loses and when St. Pauli wins. The other Hamburg club (HSV) only has a tiny bit of my sympathy.

I went only once to a stadium to see a game (2nd Bundesliga; St. Pauli vs. can't remember; but it was a draw), in the entourage of some avid fans.

Klose_the_Sith
2012-08-28, 07:44 PM
I try to keep up with the Bundesliga, but living in Australia means there's virtually no broadcast and instead I keep up with results/statistics etc. online.

I'll just hang my lonely Werder Bremen flag in a corner and think back fondly on '04 ...

HKR
2012-08-29, 09:19 AM
I agree that Dortmund have one of the most talented squads in europe. I´m also really excited about Mönchengladbach this year. They lost their best players (Dante, Reus(!!!) etc.) but managed to replace them with similarly talented young players like Xhaka (spelling?) and de Jong. Plus: in my opinion they have the best coach in the league. I´m going to watch their Champions League qualifier in Kiev tonight. They lost the first leg 1:3 so they have quite a mountain to climb tonight, but I think they can do it.

Sewercop
2012-08-29, 01:07 PM
At least some. Having played soccer myself i try to watch as many top games i can. Doesnt matter what league it is. I do try to keep up on how the different norwegians are doing in various leagues so i see some bundesliga matches.

Moa in hannover coming from my favorite team in norway i tend to support them in matches i see.

But i have always loved the structure and mentality in the german teams.