PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Personality Alignment

Bulix
2012-08-27, 01:15 PM
Hey,
First of all, I want my character to have something really different and fun to role play. I'm thinking he changes alignments during each period of the day, he's a Gray Elf Rogue. So he maybe will be Lawful Good in the morning, Neutral in the afternoon and Chaotic Evil at night. Can I do this? As in, is it against the rules to do so?

If it is possible, how do I become an Assassin if it demands to be evil?

:biggrin::annoyed::furious:

Reluctance
2012-08-27, 01:41 PM
Actual multiple personality works nothing like that. Call the effect a curse. The biggest benefit of doing it that way is that if the concept doesn't work out as well at the table as it does in your head (very few cutesy concepts do), the cure is much easier to integrate.

It's theoretically playable, but you'll either have to have the extreme alignments be completely unaware of each other (which could make for some difficult RPing), or have them moderate each other to a great degree. Otherwise, the LG part would go and have himself locked up the morning after the CE part went all murderhappy.

TuggyNE
2012-08-27, 02:44 PM
If it is possible, how do I become an Assassin if it demands to be evil?

Quite simple: only the evil personalities qualify for the prestige class, so the rest of the time you treat the character as having been disqualified in the usual way (loss of all class features except HD, BAB, saves, and skill points, IIRC).

But, of course, Reluctance is quite right that that's rather a caricature of multiple personalities than an accurate portrayal.

silverwolfer
2012-08-27, 03:30 PM
Binder...

Seriously, sort of "gesalt" it, but only have one path open when someone is good and someone is bad. Make sure one is martial and one is magical, that way you don't have to explain why one can draw divine magic and the other can suddenly rebuke.

Urpriest
2012-08-27, 05:34 PM
Since people can change alignment over time, in principle there's nothing against the rules in simply doing so very quickly and with a pattern, so what you're doing is certainly allowed. I agree that you would fail to qualify for assassin when you aren't evil, which might or might not make you lose the class features depending on your DM's interpretation of how PrC qualifications work, which is a highly contested topic that I suggest he read up on.