PDA

View Full Version : Illithid Disciple (3.5 PrC) PEACH

RedWarlock
2012-08-27, 01:39 PM
This is for one of my players. Not set in stone, but I basically just wrote this up in a day or so. Let me know if there's anything wonky.

Illithid Disciple

Few mind flayers place any merit in divine power, but a rare few have learned of the power to be drawn from the manipulation of the faithful. Xor'chylic, the illithid governor of Graywall, has begun to accumulate a small following of disciples, with a dark purpose known only to him.

These disciples gradually transform as they gain power, taking on the appearance and abilities of a mind flayer themselves. One might suspect this to be a new alternative to ceremorphosis, as by the end of the process, the disciple has taken on much of their master's mindset, and presumably his goals.

BECOMING AN ILLITHID DISCIPLE
Xor'chylic sponsors his disciples in a ritual, granting them the Illithid Heritage feat with a drop of his own foul blood. (This is actually a retraining ritual, but the effect is the same.)

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Skills: Knowledge (religion) 8 ranks, Knowledge (psionics) 4 ranks.
Spells: Able to cast 3rd-level divine spells.
Psionics: Must have a power point reserve of at least 1 power point.
Special: Must be able to Turn or Rebuke Undead.
Feat: Illithid Heritage

Class Skills
The Illithid Disciple's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), Psicraft (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

Skills Points at Each Level : 2 + int

Hit Dice: d6

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spells Per Day|Powers Known
1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Divine Mind Blast, Telepathy 20 ft.|—|+1 level of Telepath
2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Tentacle, +2 Int|+1 of existing divine spellcasting class|—
3rd|+1|+1|+1|+3|Telepathy 40 ft.|+1 of existing divine spellcasting class|+1 level of Telepath
4th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Tentacle, +2 Cha|+1 of existing divine spellcasting class|—
5th|+2|+1|+1|+4|Improved Grab, Telepathy 60 ft.|—|+1 level of Telepath
6th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Tentacle, +2 Int|+1 of existing divine spellcasting class|—
7th|+3|+2|+2|+5|Telepathy 80 ft.|+1 of existing divine spellcasting class|+1 level of Telepath
8th|+4|+2|+2|+6|Tentacle, +2 Cha|+1 of existing divine spellcasting class|—
9th|+4|+3|+3|+6|Extract Brain, Telepathy 100 ft.|—|+1 level of Telepath
10th|+5|+3|+3|+7|Aberrant Evolution, +2 Int|+1 of existing divine spellcasting class|—
[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Illithid Disciples gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor, with the exception of the tentacles gained at 2nd level.

Spells per Day/Powers Known: At the progression noted above, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also attained a level in any one divine spellcasting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class. He also gains power points per day and access to new powers as if he had gained a level in Psion (Telepath), unless he already had levels in an existing psion discipline, in which case he advances that discipline as normal. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of either class would have gained (metapsionic, or psicrystal special abilities, and so on).

If a character had more than one divine spellcasting class before he became an Illithid Disciple, he must decide to which class he adds each level of Illithid Disciple for purpose of determining spells per day, spells known (if applicable), and caster level.

Divine Mind Blast (Ps): at 1st level an Illithid Disciple gains Illithid Mind Blast as a bonus feat.

In addition, he can channel his divine energy into raw psionic power. He can spend a Turn/Rebuke Undead attempt to use Illithid Mind Blast, substituting a use of Turn/Rebuke Undead in place of power points. This activates the Mind Blast as if he had spent power points equal to 1/2 his effective Cleric level (including levels of Illithid Disciple), rounded down.

Telepathy (Su): At 1st level an Illithid Disciple gains telepathy out to a range of 20 feet. This improves to 40 feet at 3rd level, 60 feet at 5th level, 80 feet at 7th level, and 100 feet at 9th level.

Tentacles: At 2nd level an Illithid Disciple gains a tentacle attack, dealing 1d4 damage (1d3 if small, or 1d6 if large). At 4th, 6th, and 8th levels, he gains an additional tentacle attack. At first, these tentacles emerge from his mouth only when desired, and can be retracted as a free action, but at 8th level, they replace the Disciple's mouth, giving him the distinctive facial structure of an Illithid.

This feature counts as the Illithid Grapple feat for the purpose of Illithid Heritage, with each tentacle gained counting as having taken the feat. You can have no more than 4 tentacles, whether via this feature or the feat.

Ability Improvement: At 2nd, 6th, and 10th levels, an Illithid Disciple gains +2 to his Int score, and at 4th and 8th levels, he gains +2 to his Cha score.

Improved Grab (Ex): At 5th level an Illithid Disciple gains the improved grab special ability that he can use only with his tentacles. This allows him to initiate a grapple as a free action, without provoking attacks of opportunity, each time he hits with a tentacle attack. He can only attempt to grapple creatures within one size category of himself with his tentacles. Once he has a target grappled, an Illithid Disciple can attach the rest of his tentacles with a single grapple check on his next turn.

Extract Brain (Ex): At 9th level an Illithid Disciple gains the ability to extract brains. If he starts his turn with all four tentacles attached, he can spend a full-round action to pierce the brain of a living target, gaining 1d6 power points and dealing 2d4 points of Intelligence damage to the target. A target reduced to Int 0 is instantly slain, and the Disciple gains an additional 2d6 power points (to a maximum of the creature's Int score).

This feature counts as the Illithid Extraction feat for the purpose of Illithid Heritage.

Aberrant Evolution: At 10th level an Illithid Disciple completes his transformation into a mind flayer. He gains the Aberration type. (In Eberron, he also gains DR 5/byeshk.)

bobthe6th
2012-08-27, 02:37 PM
this is very nice, but I would fear a archivist with this class...

NPC White Mage
2012-08-27, 03:41 PM
Extract Brain (Ex): At 9th level an Illithid Disciple gains the ability to extract brains. If he starts his turn with all four tentacles attached, he can spend a full-round action to pierce the brain of a living target, gaining 1d6 power points and dealing 2d4 points of Intelligence damage to the target. A target reduced to Int 0 is instantly slain, and the Disciple gains an additional 2d6 point points (to a maximum of the creature's Int score).

Alright, first PEACH, and its a simple one.

*Deep breath*

"A target reduced to Int 0 is instantly slain, and the Disciple gains an additional 2d6 point points"

Should be power points, not point points.

*Takes off Grammar Police Hat*

Other than that it looks good. I know personally I would have a lot...A LOT of fun with it.

One thing, do Illithid Disciple not get the ability to create thralls? Or even a temperaory mind control over a creature of lesser int? Just thoughts.

I fear that Cobb might become a bit scary with this PrC...*Shiverss*

RedWarlock
2012-08-27, 03:45 PM
Ooh, typo. Will fix.

The mind-control is where the Telepath manifester levels come in. Psionic Charm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/charmPsionic.htm) and the like.

NPC White Mage
2012-08-27, 03:52 PM
Ooh, typo. Will fix.

The mind-control is where the Telepath manifester levels come in. Psionic Charm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/charmPsionic.htm) and the like.

Ah-ha, that makes sense then. This is a good way of quashing the Illithid Lvl Adj too. Although you run the risk of creating a Zoidberg lol

( V) ( ;,,,;) (V )

LordErebus12
2012-08-27, 04:14 PM
why not?
http://chzsetphaserstolol.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/sci-fi-fantasy-fancy-painting-why-not-zoidberg.jpg

Right now, retraining the feat, and looking at skills, that 6 crossclass ranks in knowledge: psionics requires me to wait two more levels. i have four points spent there now (2 ranks since crossclass is half).

NPC White Mage
2012-08-27, 04:51 PM
why not?
http://chzsetphaserstolol.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/sci-fi-fantasy-fancy-painting-why-not-zoidberg.jpg

Right now, retraining the feat, and looking at skills, that 6 crossclass ranks in knowledge: psionics requires me to wait two more levels. i have four points spent there now (2 ranks since crossclass is half).

I thought you were straight Cleric. What did you Cross class as? Or are you referring to the PrC when you say Cross Class?

LordErebus12
2012-08-27, 04:57 PM
I thought you were straight Cleric. What did you Cross class as? Or are you referring to the PrC when you say Cross Class?

I am straight cleric. but Knowledge Psionics isnt a class skill, therefore it must be bought with two points for every rank, just as a cross class skill. I have 4 ranks in it (giving me effectively 2 ranks). This means i need 8 skill points to qualify for this PrC and since I receive 4 skill points per level, 2 level ups away.

NPC White Mage
2012-08-27, 05:03 PM
I am straight cleric. but Knowledge Psionics isnt a class skill, therefore it must be bought with two points for every rank, just as a cross class skill. I have 4 ranks in it (giving me effectively 2 ranks). This means i need 8 skill points to qualify for this PrC and since I receive 4 skill points per level, 2 level ups away.

OH! For some reason i thought you had it as a trained skill. No idea why I thought that...

LordErebus12
2012-08-27, 05:11 PM
OH! For some reason i thought you had it as a trained skill. No idea why I thought that...

lol, right. anyways, i like it. its just a ways away. although then again, Hierophant becomes unlikely if i take such a PrC. this isnt gonna change my mind about going into this class. its just a sad thing in my mind.

LordErebus12
2012-08-27, 07:36 PM
Bastards and Bloodlines pdf (Page 45)
(http://www.scribd.com/doc/5888196/Bastards-And-Bloodline)

Mind Ripper
http://i.imgur.com/FUU98.png

So when a breeding does happen, RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

LordErebus12
2012-08-27, 08:43 PM
Tentacles: At 2nd level an Illithid Disciple gains a tentacle attack, dealing 1d4 damage (1d3 if small, or 1d6 if large). At 4th, 6th, and 8th levels, he gains an additional tentacle attack. At first, these tentacles emerge from his mouth only when desired, and can be retracted as a free action, but at 8th level, they replace the Disciple's mouth, giving him the distinctive facial structure of an Illithid.

Improved Grab (Ex): At 5th level an Illithid Disciple gains the improved grab special ability that he can use only with his tentacles. This allows him to initiate a grapple as a free action, without provoking attacks of opportunity, each time he hits with a tentacle attack. He can only attempt to grapple creatures within one size category of himself with his tentacles. Once he has a target grappled, an Illithid Disciple can attach the rest of his tentacles with a single grapple check on his next turn.

Extract Brain (Ex): At 9th level an Illithid Disciple gains the ability to extract brains. If he starts his turn with all four tentacles attached, he can spend a full-round action to pierce the brain of a living target, gaining 1d6 power points and dealing 2d4 points of Intelligence damage to the target. A target reduced to Int 0 is instantly slain, and the Disciple gains an additional 2d6 power points (to a maximum of the creature's Int score).

Does the feat Illithid Grapple stack? You can take that feat up to four times. Each time you do so, you gain an additional tentacle attack. if they do, 8 tentacles or max of 4 (just an accelerated growth or can i treat that as reach? ;p)

(In Eberron, he also gains DR 5/byeshk.)

What the hell is DR 5/Byeshk?

PS: At this point, 6th level Cleric, im working with INT of 14, WIS of 16 and CHA of 10.

The charisma is low for a turning cleric. not really set up for one and this PrC is using Cha. I like the Int and Cha increases, meaning more and improved skills.

RedWarlock
2012-08-27, 10:25 PM
Byeshk is a special extra-heavy purple metal found in Eberron to which aberrations are commonly vulnerable (IE have DR x/byeshk). There's also a mountain range known as the Byeshk mountains.

I'm going to weak the skill points, I dunno where my head was, this is intended for you to gain right away since you're right in the zone. (What was it about heirophant you really wanted? Some of those abilities can be gained via feats and other effects. The class itself is pretty bland, flavor-wise.)

I'm also going to tweak it to use the illithid heritage feats directly, so you're getting them as bonus feats, plus some tweaks (IE being able to spend turn attempts rather than PP for blasts). So no, there IS a limit of 4 tentacles. But some of those feats are also wonky and not appropriate to the concept, IMO, so I'm using the opportunity to alter them a little.

LordErebus12
2012-08-27, 10:41 PM
Byeshk is a special extra-heavy purple metal found in Eberron to which aberrations are commonly vulnerable (IE have DR x/byeshk). There's also a mountain range known as the Byeshk mountains.

I'm going to weak the skill points, I dunno where my head was, this is intended for you to gain right away since you're right in the zone. (What was it about heirophant you really wanted? Some of those abilities can be gained via feats and other effects. The class itself is pretty bland, flavor-wise.)

I'm also going to tweak it to use the illithid heritage feats directly, so you're getting them as bonus feats, plus some tweaks (IE being able to spend turn attempts rather than PP for blasts). So no, there IS a limit of 4 tentacles. But some of those feats are also wonky and not appropriate to the concept, IMO, so I'm using the opportunity to alter them a little.

my illithid post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245332) has them (feats) in clean text form. the errata has been added as well. also, do you like my version of the flayer?

RedWarlock
2012-09-04, 09:58 AM
Okay, made some tweaks to the class. Erebus, does this match up with what we talked about?

Anyone else, how's it looking now? (less fearsome for an Archivist now, with the Turn requirement?)

LordErebus12
2012-09-04, 12:44 PM
Okay, made some tweaks to the class. Erebus, does this match up with what we talked about?

Anyone else, how's it looking now? (less fearsome for an Archivist now, with the Turn requirement?)

looks fine to me, very cool concept

LordErebus12
2012-09-07, 02:28 PM
BECOMING AN ILLITHID DISCIPLE
Xor'chylic sponsors his disciples in a ritual, granting them the Illithid Heritage feat with a drop of his own foul blood. (This is actually a retraining ritual, but the effect is the same.)

So, he granted me the Illithid Heritage feat as a bonus feat?

RedWarlock
2012-09-07, 02:38 PM
Nope, read the parenthetical text, retraining, meaning it's one of your existing feat slots. (we talked about this, remember?)

LordErebus12
2012-09-07, 02:51 PM
Nope, read the parenthetical text, retraining, meaning it's one of your existing feat slots. (we talked about this, remember?)

i remember, just checking. im going through my character sheet to make sure everything is right.